Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02 Mar 2004, 08:45 am
Mike Akre
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 98 Prelude (Engine Light)



Hello everyone...........

I was hoping someone here might be able to give me some great advise. The
"check engine" light came on driving my 1998 Honda Prelude. Seems to be
running fine but I don't want to mess up the engine by ignoring it.

I don't have the funds at this time to take it in to the shop. Is there
something "I" can do to reset that engine light or even manually see what
the prob is? I changed the plug wires (Taylor Brand 8mm) but i doubt that
would of set off the engine light.

Has anyone here had this problem? My V-Tec by the way is running properly,
so it seems, so I feel that isn't the problem.

AkreM




Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02 Mar 2004, 08:53 am
Samuel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 Prelude (Engine Light)

If you have an Autozone close to you, they can read the code for free.

"Mike Akre" <smokey@myhome.withlove> wrote in message
news:e611c.131125$hR.2491492@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>
>
> Hello everyone...........
>
> I was hoping someone here might be able to give me some great advise. The
> "check engine" light came on driving my 1998 Honda Prelude. Seems to be
> running fine but I don't want to mess up the engine by ignoring it.
>
> I don't have the funds at this time to take it in to the shop. Is there
> something "I" can do to reset that engine light or even manually see what
> the prob is? I changed the plug wires (Taylor Brand 8mm) but i doubt that
> would of set off the engine light.
>
> Has anyone here had this problem? My V-Tec by the way is running properly,
> so it seems, so I feel that isn't the problem.
>
> AkreM
>
>
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02 Mar 2004, 11:13 am
T. Nelson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 Prelude (Engine Light)

In article <e611c.131125$hR.2491492@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"Mike Akre" <smokey@myhome.withlove> wrote:

> Hello everyone...........
>
> I was hoping someone here might be able to give me some great advise. The
> "check engine" light came on driving my 1998 Honda Prelude. Seems to be
> running fine but I don't want to mess up the engine by ignoring it.
>
> I don't have the funds at this time to take it in to the shop. Is there
> something "I" can do to reset that engine light or even manually see what
> the prob is? I changed the plug wires (Taylor Brand 8mm) but i doubt that
> would of set off the engine light.
>
> Has anyone here had this problem? My V-Tec by the way is running properly,
> so it seems, so I feel that isn't the problem.
>
> AkreM


Lots of different auto parts stores will check it for you for free. Auto
Zone started it but other stores are also doing it. Even if they refuse to
reset the light--at least they will tell you why the light came on.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02 Mar 2004, 11:28 pm
Mike A
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 Prelude (Engine Light)

Thanks Sam and T.nelson for your help.

I'll check into that right away. While on my way home I noticed a hollow
humming sound "now" coming from the engine area. <sigh>

I'll check into that AutoZone and others. Thanks again.

AkreM


"T. Nelson" <tnelson@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:tnelson-0203040913550001@205.162.251.107...
> In article <e611c.131125$hR.2491492@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> "Mike Akre" <smokey@myhome.withlove> wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone...........
> >
> > I was hoping someone here might be able to give me some great advise.

The
> > "check engine" light came on driving my 1998 Honda Prelude. Seems to be
> > running fine but I don't want to mess up the engine by ignoring it.
> >
> > I don't have the funds at this time to take it in to the shop. Is there
> > something "I" can do to reset that engine light or even manually see

what
> > the prob is? I changed the plug wires (Taylor Brand 8mm) but i doubt

that
> > would of set off the engine light.
> >
> > Has anyone here had this problem? My V-Tec by the way is running

properly,
> > so it seems, so I feel that isn't the problem.
> >
> > AkreM

>
> Lots of different auto parts stores will check it for you for free. Auto
> Zone started it but other stores are also doing it. Even if they refuse to
> reset the light--at least they will tell you why the light came on.



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03 Mar 2004, 08:24 am
Mike A
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 Prelude (Engine Light)


"Mike A" <smokey@myhome.withlove> wrote in message
news:22e1c.66876$aH3.2051568@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Thanks Sam and T.nelson for your help.
>
> I'll check into that right away. While on my way home I noticed a hollow
> humming sound "now" coming from the engine area. <sigh>
>
> I'll check into that AutoZone and others. Thanks again.
>
> AkreM
>



Grrrrrrrr.....theres no AutoZone in my neck of the woods!!

Would Shucks or napa check the engine light for free?

AkreM


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03 Mar 2004, 10:49 am
'Curly Q. Links'
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 Prelude (Engine Light)

Mike Akre wrote:
>
> Hello everyone...........
>
> I was hoping someone here might be able to give me some great advise. The
> "check engine" light came on driving my 1998 Honda Prelude. Seems to be
> running fine but I don't want to mess up the engine by ignoring it.
>
> I don't have the funds at this time to take it in to the shop. Is there
> something "I" can do to reset that engine light or even manually see what
> the prob is? I changed the plug wires (Taylor Brand 8mm) but i doubt that
> would of set off the engine light.
>
> Has anyone here had this problem? My V-Tec by the way is running properly,
> so it seems, so I feel that isn't the problem.
>
> AkreM


==================

Have you forgotten to tighten your gas cap properly, or 'topped up' your
tank when fuelling? The owner's manual says it will take a three drives
to switch the light off, if the cap was loose.

Check all your fluid levels, of course. Testing your dash lights would
be a good idea, too.

Let us know. 'Curly'

=============
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03 Mar 2004, 08:14 pm
Mike A
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 Prelude (Engine Light)


"'Curly Q. Links'" <motsco__@interbaun.com> wrote in message
news:40460CA9.5C30A283@interbaun.com...
> Mike Akre wrote:
> >
> > Hello everyone...........
> >
> > I was hoping someone here might be able to give me some great advise.

The
> > "check engine" light came on driving my 1998 Honda Prelude. Seems to be
> > running fine but I don't want to mess up the engine by ignoring it.
> >
> > I don't have the funds at this time to take it in to the shop. Is there
> > something "I" can do to reset that engine light or even manually see

what
> > the prob is? I changed the plug wires (Taylor Brand 8mm) but i doubt

that
> > would of set off the engine light.
> >
> > Has anyone here had this problem? My V-Tec by the way is running

properly,
> > so it seems, so I feel that isn't the problem.
> >
> > AkreM

>
> ==================
>
> Have you forgotten to tighten your gas cap properly, or 'topped up' your
> tank when fuelling? The owner's manual says it will take a three drives
> to switch the light off, if the cap was loose.
>
> Check all your fluid levels, of course. Testing your dash lights would
> be a good idea, too.
>
> Let us know. 'Curly'
>
> =============


My gas cap is tight. I do however top off my gas but i am sitting at half a
tank now and the engine light is still on.

all fluids (tranny, oil, windshield washer is fine and normal. Dash
lights are fine. I am taking it in first thing tomorrow morning.

AkreM


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rear light stay on even turn off light and engine testingforfun Honda 3 1 07 Sep 2005 03:49 pm
Prelude '93 resetting engine light Koos Bus Honda 3 2 17 Jul 2005 02:35 am
Prelude Check Engine light -- no code Randall Fox Honda 2 3 17 Mar 2005 12:25 pm
89 prelude si check engine light comes on when accelerating Ian Honda 3 0 22 Jan 2005 10:20 pm
93 Civic engine light on after turning off engine and restarting Gonzo970 Honda 3 6 12 Jul 2004 05:43 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.