Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 29 Feb 2004, 07:12 pm
Steve Lee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Questions about Grille Inserts.

I've always wanted to use them because we get alot of gravel dumped on
the roads during the winters and have already found small pebbles
lodged between the fins of the radiator. Also, my car has a
relatively hug gap in the lower bumper area and it's big enough for a
good sized rock to pass through. I'd hate to think what could happen
enxt if one of those fly through the gap.

But my main concern with grille inserts is that they may restrict the
air flow to the radiator too much, thus increasing the temperature in
the cooling system.

I'm looking at Cloud Rider grille inserts with the mesh type. The
size of the holes can be viewed here,
http://members.shaw.ca/steve.lee/tmp/

What do you guys think? Are those holes too small and just might
affect the cooling system operating temp? Thanks for your time and
courtesy.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 29 Feb 2004, 09:27 pm
electricked
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Questions about Grille Inserts.

If you are the DIY type you can get some mess grill from home depot and
attach it by yourself. There are a lot of websites out there describing the
procedure and if done correctly it looks same as the ones you purchase.

As far as air flow goes, on my 98 accord there are two openings--top and
bottom. If I were to put grilled mesh I'd put it on the bottom and leave the
top open. Actually the top is slightly covered with the front bumper sticks
that go across horizontally. They are also bent slightly to bring the air to
the top of the hood straight into the engine compartment area thus allowing
to cool the engine in addition to the radiator and fans.

--Viktor

"Steve Lee" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
news:sj3540ts9tdu9eutkkgdc4u0nuk1npjvja@4ax.com...
> I've always wanted to use them because we get alot of gravel dumped on
> the roads during the winters and have already found small pebbles
> lodged between the fins of the radiator. Also, my car has a
> relatively hug gap in the lower bumper area and it's big enough for a
> good sized rock to pass through. I'd hate to think what could happen
> enxt if one of those fly through the gap.
>
> But my main concern with grille inserts is that they may restrict the
> air flow to the radiator too much, thus increasing the temperature in
> the cooling system.
>
> I'm looking at Cloud Rider grille inserts with the mesh type. The
> size of the holes can be viewed here,
> http://members.shaw.ca/steve.lee/tmp/
>
> What do you guys think? Are those holes too small and just might
> affect the cooling system operating temp? Thanks for your time and
> courtesy.



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01 Mar 2004, 10:23 am
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Questions about Grille Inserts.

Steve Lee <no@spam.com> wrote in
news:sj3540ts9tdu9eutkkgdc4u0nuk1npjvja@4ax.com:

> I've always wanted to use them because we get alot of gravel dumped on
> the roads during the winters and have already found small pebbles
> lodged between the fins of the radiator. Also, my car has a
> relatively hug gap in the lower bumper area and it's big enough for a
> good sized rock to pass through. I'd hate to think what could happen
> enxt if one of those fly through the gap.
>
> But my main concern with grille inserts is that they may restrict the
> air flow to the radiator too much, thus increasing the temperature in
> the cooling system.
>
> I'm looking at Cloud Rider grille inserts with the mesh type. The
> size of the holes can be viewed here,
> http://members.shaw.ca/steve.lee/tmp/
>
> What do you guys think? Are those holes too small and just might
> affect the cooling system operating temp? Thanks for your time and
> courtesy.


Anything you stick in there will decrease the airflow somewhat.
As a general rule;The smaller the holes,the greater the restriction.
(more connecting web blocking airflow.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01 Mar 2004, 10:47 am
'Curly Q. Links'
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Questions about Grille Inserts.

Steve Lee wrote:
>
> I've always wanted to use them because we get alot of gravel dumped on
> the roads during the winters and have already found small pebbles
> lodged between the fins of the radiator. Also, my car has a
> relatively hug gap in the lower bumper area and it's big enough for a
> good sized rock to pass through. I'd hate to think what could happen
> enxt if one of those fly through the gap.
>
> But my main concern with grille inserts is that they may restrict the
> air flow to the radiator too much, thus increasing the temperature in
> the cooling system.
>
> I'm looking at Cloud Rider grille inserts with the mesh type. The
> size of the holes can be viewed here,
> http://members.shaw.ca/steve.lee/tmp/
>
> What do you guys think? Are those holes too small and just might
> affect the cooling system operating temp? Thanks for your time and
> courtesy.

=================

The CRV is also bad for that. You could roll up a sheet of aluminum
window screen material and put it in there. Bugs and (smaller) rocks
would bounce off. Airflow wouldn't be compromised.

If I ever buy a brand new Honda, that's the first thing I would install.

'Curly'

-- ==============
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01 Mar 2004, 05:06 pm
Steve Lee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Questions about Grille Inserts.

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:47:32 -0700, "'Curly Q. Links'"
<motsco__@interbaun.com> wrote:

>Steve Lee wrote:
>>
>> I've always wanted to use them because we get alot of gravel dumped on
>> the roads during the winters and have already found small pebbles
>> lodged between the fins of the radiator. Also, my car has a
>> relatively hug gap in the lower bumper area and it's big enough for a
>> good sized rock to pass through. I'd hate to think what could happen
>> enxt if one of those fly through the gap.
>>
>> But my main concern with grille inserts is that they may restrict the
>> air flow to the radiator too much, thus increasing the temperature in
>> the cooling system.
>>
>> I'm looking at Cloud Rider grille inserts with the mesh type. The
>> size of the holes can be viewed here,
>> http://members.shaw.ca/steve.lee/tmp/
>>
>> What do you guys think? Are those holes too small and just might
>> affect the cooling system operating temp? Thanks for your time and
>> courtesy.

>=================
>
>The CRV is also bad for that. You could roll up a sheet of aluminum
>window screen material and put it in there. Bugs and (smaller) rocks
>would bounce off. Airflow wouldn't be compromised.
>
>If I ever buy a brand new Honda, that's the first thing I would install.
>
>'Curly'
>===================


Do you think that the aluminum window screen material would provide
more airflow than the inserts shown in the pics? Do the holes in the
insert shown in the pics look too small and probably will restric too
much airflow? Cloud Riders have been around for quite sometime, but
who knows...
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02 Mar 2004, 01:08 pm
Alan J. Claffie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Questions about Grille Inserts.

"Steve Lee" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
news:teg7401sblv53d6p80o8lfpsck2lm013ca@4ax.com...
> Do you think that the aluminum window screen material would provide
> more airflow than the inserts shown in the pics? Do the holes in the
> insert shown in the pics look too small and probably will restric too
> much airflow? Cloud Riders have been around for quite sometime, but
> who knows...


FYI in my experience, cars in general usually have way more grille area than
they need to run well. I've experimented with blocking off grille area in
the search for more speed or mileage on cars since the late '80s and have
never run into a situation where the temperature gauge even budged higher
than normal, even in traffic, with the exception of with an '87 CRX Si
(which lived to 233,000 miles before it had to be retired due to chassis
rust) that I kept adding tape to until I had probably less than a square
half-foot of total air intake open while on a cross-Pennsylvania road trip.
I've never had a heat-related engine problem with any car I've owned, and
regularly run my cars with about half their grille area masked off
year-round.

I don't think the reduction in airflow by putting a screen or mesh in a
car's grille area is going to affect that engine's cooling at all. I put a
mesh screen in the lower grille opening of my 142,000-mile '92 Mazda MX3 GS
($3 metal rain gutter screen from Home Depot) and never had any adverse
affects from that.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wiper inserts for accord ap Honda 3 4 14 Jul 2007 05:01 pm
Cleaning TL Grille Michael and Karen Platnick Acura 2 26 May 2006 06:50 am
BUMPER GRILLE JIM via CarKB.com Honda 2 0 16 Apr 2005 06:50 pm
There are nice grille for Civic in ebay carjohnchen Honda 3 2 06 Mar 2005 11:24 am
Questions about Grille Inserts Steve Lee Honda 3 0 29 Feb 2004 07:12 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.