Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 24 Feb 2004, 05:32 pm
lamont
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default engine computer on 87 honda accord problems!!!

hello. i have a 1987 honda accord with a carberator. let me tell you the
story of this car. when i bought it it was in perfect shape with no problems
except that once in a while in very cold conditions, the headlights would
pause before they would turn on.
heres the problem and the details that i think are relavant.
a couple of years a go i took the car to have a windshield replaced. they
did an ok job but i noticed water leaking on my feet during heavy rain
downpours. one day i was driving in a heavy rain storm and all of a sudden.
all of the interior lights, radio started dimming. the idle was rough too, i
figured it was a short because every thing seemed starved for power and a
short would do that.
the next day my alt light came on. My theory was a short strained the alt
and overloaded it. i had the alt replaced and the car worked great until a
year later after another heavy rain the car did the same thing. the light
came on the next day....this time i had another alternator put it, but after
the new alternator was put in the alt light stays on and the car idles too
fast, and also, when you turn the ignition key off the car keeps running. i
have to pull off the ignitiion coil wire to turn it off.... my theory is
that the water damaged the engine computer and during downpours water drips
on it and cause shorts...can somebody with better understanding of hondas
give me some advice about what they think it might be. also , the alternator
on this car is a 3 pin type. if somebody were to pull the wires out of the
connector and put them back in in the wrong places would that cause this
problem?


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 24 Feb 2004, 10:19 pm
N.E.Ohio Bob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: engine computer on 87 honda accord problems!!!

Only the LXi has fuel injection, and a computer. Carb equipped ones
don't have computer controls.
I think you have many problems from wet fuse panel and wiring
connections. Will be almost impossible to fix. bob

lamont wrote:
>
> hello. i have a 1987 honda accord with a carberator. let me tell you the
> story of this car. when i bought it it was in perfect shape with no problems
> except that once in a while in very cold conditions, the headlights would
> pause before they would turn on.
> heres the problem and the details that i think are relavant.
> a couple of years a go i took the car to have a windshield replaced. they
> did an ok job but i noticed water leaking on my feet during heavy rain
> downpours. one day i was driving in a heavy rain storm and all of a sudden.
> all of the interior lights, radio started dimming. the idle was rough too, i
> figured it was a short because every thing seemed starved for power and a
> short would do that.
> the next day my alt light came on. My theory was a short strained the alt
> and overloaded it. i had the alt replaced and the car worked great until a
> year later after another heavy rain the car did the same thing. the light
> came on the next day....this time i had another alternator put it, but after
> the new alternator was put in the alt light stays on and the car idles too
> fast, and also, when you turn the ignition key off the car keeps running. i
> have to pull off the ignitiion coil wire to turn it off.... my theory is
> that the water damaged the engine computer and during downpours water drips
> on it and cause shorts...can somebody with better understanding of hondas
> give me some advice about what they think it might be. also , the alternator
> on this car is a 3 pin type. if somebody were to pull the wires out of the
> connector and put them back in in the wrong places would that cause this
> problem?

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 25 Feb 2004, 09:51 pm
Eric
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: engine computer on 87 honda accord problems!!!

"N.E.Ohio Bob" wrote:
>
> Only the LXi has fuel injection, and a computer. Carb equipped
> ones don't have computer controls.
> I think you have many problems from wet fuse panel and wiring
> connections. Will be almost impossible to fix. bob


This diagram is for an '87 LX. http://tinyurl.com/38vjv Although it is not
the same as on the LXi, there is still an electronic control unit present.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 26 Feb 2004, 03:47 pm
N.E.Ohio Bob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: engine computer on 87 honda accord problems!!!

I had to go to the factory manual and learn about the cars with carbs.
I was wrong! The carb cars DO have an Emission Control Unit under the
drivers seat. It has 14 input signals from the engine, and controls 12
output functions. The outputs "control emissions and effect smooth
engine performance."
After re-reading your original post, I think you may be having ignition
switch trouble.
There are 129 pages of possibilities in the book for the fuel and
emissions systems alone.
Good Luck! bob

Eric wrote:
>
> "N.E.Ohio Bob" wrote:
> >
> > Only the LXi has fuel injection, and a computer. Carb equipped
> > ones don't have computer controls.
> > I think you have many problems from wet fuse panel and wiring
> > connections. Will be almost impossible to fix. bob

>
> This diagram is for an '87 LX. http://tinyurl.com/38vjv Although it is not
> the same as on the LXi, there is still an electronic control unit present.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1994 honda accord with a bad computer stick Honda 2 6 18 Aug 2006 10:56 am
90 Honda Civic Engine Problems CMegrey@gmail.com Honda 3 2 22 Apr 2006 02:36 am
98 Odyssey with Check Engine On Computer / PCM failure code; desperately seeking advice! grassyhillatsymbolgmail Honda 2 3 29 Jan 2006 03:33 pm
05 Accord, engine flutters and other various problems elmo Honda 2 10 24 Apr 2005 10:29 am
Honda Accord 1988 OBD computer system? jon@thorsvik.com Honda 3 1 22 Jan 2005 07:39 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.