Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 24 Feb 2004, 04:42 pm
eyhang
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 2004 Accord: EX or EX V6

Hi,

I am about to purchase a new Accord and having a tough
time deciding between a EX I4 or EX V6.

I know I am comparing orange and apple. Just want to get
your opinions on whether EX V6's eng/trans is worth the 4K difference.
Which one do you think provides better value (I know V6 comes
with some more luxury features)? I have heard some nagative feedbacks
on Accord V6's transmission in the past. Has it improved in the
'04 model? Is V6's maintance charge signifficantly higher? Any
good/bad experiences with your purchase so far?

These questions may sound rather stupid for some of you experts.
Just want to get your opinions so that I can make the correct
purchase decision for myself.


Best Regards,
EH






Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 24 Feb 2004, 05:54 pm
Dave Kelsen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2004 Accord: EX or EX V6

On 2/24/2004 4:42 PM eyhang spake these words of knowledge:


> Hi,
>
> I am about to purchase a new Accord and having a tough
> time deciding between a EX I4 or EX V6.
>
> I know I am comparing orange and apple. Just want to get
> your opinions on whether EX V6's eng/trans is worth the 4K difference.
> Which one do you think provides better value (I know V6 comes
> with some more luxury features)? I have heard some nagative feedbacks
> on Accord V6's transmission in the past. Has it improved in the
> '04 model? Is V6's maintance charge signifficantly higher? Any
> good/bad experiences with your purchase so far?
>
> These questions may sound rather stupid for some of you experts.
> Just want to get your opinions so that I can make the correct
> purchase decision for myself.
>
>
> Best Regards,
> EH


I have an 03 Accord I4, and it provides me with all the acceleration and
power I need; even all I want most of the time. If money was a fairly
small concern, I would have gotten the V6 (with the manual transmission)
but I am not unhappy with what I have.

It comes down to how often you might *want* the power available in the
V6, and whether it's worth it to you to pay for it. Either way, you'll
likely be happy with your choice.

Dave Kelsen
--
Of beautiful birds in circling flight,
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 24 Feb 2004, 07:27 pm
bill marsh
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2004 Accord: EX or EX V6



--

"Dave Kelsen" <kelsen@elmore.rr.com> wrote in message
news:HuR_b.108381$jH.779902@twister.tampabay.rr.co m...
> On 2/24/2004 4:42 PM eyhang spake these words of knowledge:
>
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am about to purchase a new Accord and having a tough
> > time deciding between a EX I4 or EX V6.
> >
> > I know I am comparing orange and apple. Just want to get
> > your opinions on whether EX V6's eng/trans is worth the 4K difference.
> > Which one do you think provides better value (I know V6 comes
> > with some more luxury features)? I have heard some nagative feedbacks
> > on Accord V6's transmission in the past. Has it improved in the
> > '04 model? Is V6's maintance charge signifficantly higher? Any
> > good/bad experiences with your purchase so far?
> >
> > These questions may sound rather stupid for some of you experts.
> > Just want to get your opinions so that I can make the correct
> > purchase decision for myself.
> >
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > EH

>
> I have an 03 Accord I4, and it provides me with all the acceleration and
> power I need; even all I want most of the time. If money was a fairly
> small concern, I would have gotten the V6 (with the manual transmission)
> but I am not unhappy with what I have.
>
> It comes down to how often you might *want* the power available in the
> V6, and whether it's worth it to you to pay for it. Either way, you'll
> likely be happy with your choice.
>
> Dave Kelsen
> --

Of beautiful birds in circling flight,
I agree with everything Dave said. It has more pick up then I need and as
an added benefit when I got My insurance, my agent said that the 4 was
cheaper Insurance then the 6 cylinder.
Iam very happy with my decision. EX
Bill M


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 24 Feb 2004, 08:37 pm
jdhoward@helps.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2004 Accord: EX or EX V6

eyhang <eyhang@no-spam.org> wrote:
: Hi,

: I am about to purchase a new Accord and having a tough
: time deciding between a EX I4 or EX V6.
: ...

Last April, I bought the 2003 EX-L-Nav with I4 and manual transmission.
This is my first Honda. I had been a big American V8 driver(Cad).
I bought the Honda based on its reputation of reliably, value, economy
and performance. It is living up to that reputation better than I
expected. I expected to be disappointed, but I haven't been yet.

When I saw the economy numbers, I removed the V6 from consideration.
I have driven about 26,000 miles. When street racing on dry pavement,
I get tire spin in first and second gears and usually win the race.
On the Interstate, I get fuel economy of 35+ mpUSg while cruising at
74 MPH. If I cruise at 105+ MPH, the economy goes down, but is still
more than 30+ mpUSg. If I try hard, coast down hills, accelerate
slowly, I can get 42 mpUSg. Around town in the stop and go traffic
I get 28 mpUSg or better. With gas getting more expensive, thinking
about fuel economy makes good sense.

I like the styling of the wheels on the I4 better than the ones on the
V6. The curtain airbags and power passenger seat that the V6 has, are
not important to me.

The only service required so far has been oil changes. I had over 200,000
miles on my last car and expect to keep this one for a long time. The
I4 looks easier to service than the V6.

The real reason to get the I4 instead of the V6 is that you can brag about
how much smarter you were to buy it. You will have more for less and you
can prove it. Your bragging rights are even more when you talk to some one
who bought a V6 Toyota, Mazda, Nisson, ...


---
James D. Howard Austin TX USA jdhoward@helps.com

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 25 Feb 2004, 05:49 am
realguy@fakeaddress.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2004 Accord: EX or EX V6

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:37:28 -0600, jdhoward@helps.com wrote:

>eyhang <eyhang@no-spam.org> wrote:
>: Hi,
>
>: I am about to purchase a new Accord and having a tough
>: time deciding between a EX I4 or EX V6.
>: ...
>
>Last April, I bought the 2003 EX-L-Nav with I4 and manual transmission.
>This is my first Honda. I had been a big American V8 driver(Cad).
>I bought the Honda based on its reputation of reliably, value, economy
>and performance. It is living up to that reputation better than I
>expected. I expected to be disappointed, but I haven't been yet.
>
>When I saw the economy numbers, I removed the V6 from consideration.
>I have driven about 26,000 miles. When street racing on dry pavement,
>I get tire spin in first and second gears and usually win the race.
>On the Interstate, I get fuel economy of 35+ mpUSg while cruising at
>74 MPH. If I cruise at 105+ MPH, the economy goes down, but is still
>more than 30+ mpUSg. If I try hard, coast down hills, accelerate
>slowly, I can get 42 mpUSg. Around town in the stop and go traffic
>I get 28 mpUSg or better. With gas getting more expensive, thinking
>about fuel economy makes good sense.
>
>I like the styling of the wheels on the I4 better than the ones on the
>V6. The curtain airbags and power passenger seat that the V6 has, are
>not important to me.
>
>The only service required so far has been oil changes. I had over 200,000
>miles on my last car and expect to keep this one for a long time. The
>I4 looks easier to service than the V6.
>
>The real reason to get the I4 instead of the V6 is that you can brag about
>how much smarter you were to buy it. You will have more for less and you
>can prove it. Your bragging rights are even more when you talk to some one
>who bought a V6 Toyota, Mazda, Nisson, ...
>
>
> ---
> James D. Howard Austin TX USA jdhoward@helps.com



From my past reading on the net, it seemed to me that more people had
problems after some years with the 6 cyl vs. 4 cyl. . Of course this
is just my opinion not a scientific survey. But I didn't seem to
notice any difference in the first few years between the two.

I'm no race car driver but when I compare my early 90's accord 4 cyl.
to my 03 accord 4 cyl. , the '03 seems to have plenty of power to
accelerate. It's not as powerful as an 8 cyl. but it seems quite
satisfactory for my type of driving (no towing).
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 25 Feb 2004, 06:21 am
brian
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2004 Accord: EX or EX V6

"eyhang" <eyhang@no-spam.org> wrote in message news:<MwQ_b.35$kg3.132@news.oracle.com>...
> Hi,
>

Transmission is fine on the v6 (I have an 03exv6). For me it was all
about power. 160hp vs 240. I have never spent any money on power
before and I must be having a mid life crisis. I went through the
same hand-wringing about the extra $3k. For me it is worth it. The
power just never seems to quit on the exv6. I always wondered why
folks spend so much money on high power cars, we all have to drive the
same speed limit. What I discovered, is the fun is getting to the
speed limit. Yeehaaaa.

brian


> I am about to purchase a new Accord and having a tough
> time deciding between a EX I4 or EX V6.
>
> I know I am comparing orange and apple. Just want to get
> your opinions on whether EX V6's eng/trans is worth the 4K difference.
> Which one do you think provides better value (I know V6 comes
> with some more luxury features)? I have heard some nagative feedbacks
> on Accord V6's transmission in the past. Has it improved in the
> '04 model? Is V6's maintance charge signifficantly higher? Any
> good/bad experiences with your purchase so far?
>
> These questions may sound rather stupid for some of you experts.
> Just want to get your opinions so that I can make the correct
> purchase decision for myself.
>
>
> Best Regards,
> EH

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 25 Feb 2004, 09:11 am
Kenneth J. Harris
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2004 Accord: EX or EX V6

I have an 03 EX V6. Love it. Wonderful power(the 4 is OK but this is
BETTER), nice 5 speed auto, and nice comfortable supportive leather
seats. Moon roof I can take or leave but it's standard on this car.
Based on the service rate charts I see at the dealership, there is
little or no difference in service costs between the 4 and the 6. The
dual climate control is neat although more than I need. Traction
control is a plus--snow where I live.

Ken

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 25 Feb 2004, 10:23 pm
Len White
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2004 Accord: EX or EX V6

We traded a 96/I4 for a 03/V6. The 96/I4 was a very nice car and gave us
reliable service except for an expensive A/C repair at 85K miles. The 96/I4
always had a bit of a rough idle and was never as smooth as the 03/V6
engine. We get very good gas mileage on the 03/V6, it's smooth as silk, and
quick.

"eyhang" <eyhang@no-spam.org> wrote in message
news:MwQ_b.35$kg3.132@news.oracle.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am about to purchase a new Accord and having a tough
> time deciding between a EX I4 or EX V6.
>
> I know I am comparing orange and apple. Just want to get
> your opinions on whether EX V6's eng/trans is worth the 4K difference.
> Which one do you think provides better value (I know V6 comes
> with some more luxury features)? I have heard some nagative feedbacks
> on Accord V6's transmission in the past. Has it improved in the
> '04 model? Is V6's maintance charge signifficantly higher? Any
> good/bad experiences with your purchase so far?
>
> These questions may sound rather stupid for some of you experts.
> Just want to get your opinions so that I can make the correct
> purchase decision for myself.
>
>
> Best Regards,
> EH
>
>
>
>
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 26 Feb 2004, 05:23 pm
T. Nelson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2004 Accord: EX or EX V6

In article <MwQ_b.35$kg3.132@news.oracle.com>, "eyhang"
<eyhang@no-spam.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am about to purchase a new Accord and having a tough
> time deciding between a EX I4 or EX V6.
>
> I know I am comparing orange and apple. Just want to get
> your opinions on whether EX V6's eng/trans is worth the 4K difference.
> Which one do you think provides better value (I know V6 comes
> with some more luxury features)? I have heard some nagative feedbacks
> on Accord V6's transmission in the past. Has it improved in the
> '04 model? Is V6's maintance charge signifficantly higher? Any
> good/bad experiences with your purchase so far?
>
> These questions may sound rather stupid for some of you experts.
> Just want to get your opinions so that I can make the correct
> purchase decision for myself.
>
>
> Best Regards,
> EH


I read the various posts and you received some great advice. I can only
add that the decision should be based on such factors as to whether you
like a car that has lots of power. If so--get the EX V6. If having lots of
power is not important, get the 4 cyld EX. It will use less gasoline and
cost less related to such things as insurance and purchase price. I love
my 4 cyld Accord EX but there are times that I would like the extra power
such as when I am on a freeway or interstate entrance ramp. I once got my
4 cyld. EX up to 130 miles per hour while on a road in the middle of the
desert. My radar detector forced me to back off the gas petal just in time
to avoid a ticket.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 26 Feb 2004, 07:54 pm
Keith J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2004 Accord: EX or EX V6

I have a '99 V6 (200 hp) and at times wish I had the extra 40 hp that the
new V6's contain. I get city/hwy mileage of ~27 mpg. When doing all hwy, I
am around 37 mpg. With that mileage and power, I'll take the V6 anyday.
Get the V6, especially if you like to drive "spirited" sometimes.

Keith




"eyhang" <eyhang@no-spam.org> wrote in message
news:MwQ_b.35$kg3.132@news.oracle.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am about to purchase a new Accord and having a tough
> time deciding between a EX I4 or EX V6.
>
> I know I am comparing orange and apple. Just want to get
> your opinions on whether EX V6's eng/trans is worth the 4K difference.
> Which one do you think provides better value (I know V6 comes
> with some more luxury features)? I have heard some nagative feedbacks
> on Accord V6's transmission in the past. Has it improved in the
> '04 model? Is V6's maintance charge signifficantly higher? Any
> good/bad experiences with your purchase so far?
>
> These questions may sound rather stupid for some of you experts.
> Just want to get your opinions so that I can make the correct
> purchase decision for myself.
>
>
> Best Regards,
> EH
>
>
>
>
>
>



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2004 Accord steve barboro Honda 3 8 07 Mar 2005 09:49 pm
2004 Acura TL Vs. 2004 Infinity G35 Sedan Sonoman Acura 41 23 Jan 2005 11:10 am
2004 Accord michael Honda 2 9 13 Sep 2004 11:24 pm
2004 Acura TL or Audi 2004 1.8T Quattro?? Pumba Honda 2 2 23 Apr 2004 04:19 pm
2004 Accord which to buy?, 4 cy or the V6 davidki Honda 3 32 02 Feb 2004 03:11 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.