Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 23 Feb 2004, 12:48 am
Hokey Pokey
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Big Shaking/Vibration/Hesitation Problems (2003 Pilot). What do you guys suppose is causing this?

I'm able to duplicate it everytime when the car's travelling at 80KM/H
and 90KM/H (50MPH and 56MPH) AND with the RPM below 2K mark, most
notably at around 1700. Basically, I have the gas depressed just
slightly to maintain the speed in that range.

And also at slower speeds, at around the 60KM/H (37MPH) and also at
40KM/H (25MPH) mark, again as the car's coasting with the gas pedal
slightly pressed and the RPM being right around 1700RPM, similar
behavior can be expericned.

However, at those lower speeds, the car will lurch a little bit. It's
not a violent lurch that'll make your head jar back and forth, but
it's more like a hesitation or a stutter.

Can tire problems make the car hesitate and lurch like that?

Anyway, I went for a ride with a service technician, with him driving
and he was able to duplicate the vibrations without any problems. At
first he thought it could be the tires, but after several minutes and
vibrations, he wasn't so sure anymore.

He shifted down to D3 and tried it again and it was the same. As
well, he mentioned that the steering wheel wasn't moving as much as on
the cars with tires attributable to the vibration problems.

When we came back, he suggested to book an appointment so he can have
the car for the whole day. I'll be taking my Pilot in this coming
Friday.

He also said to maintain the speed and the vibration when it comes on
and not take my foot of the gas to see if I can force a code to
appear. He said if the Check Engine or the VTM-4 light comes on I
should bring it to the dealer right away to get the code.

Jesus, how ironic is that? I gotta drive this car like shit to have
it fixed.

At this point, he really doesn't know what it is. Could be the EGR
valves, but then the lights would've came on already if it was that.
Doesn't know if it's the transmission and hasn't entirely ruled out
the tires yet.

Over the weekend, I took my Pilot on the highway and just like I was
suggested to do, I put the car on cruise once the vibration/shaking
came on. I drove like that for close to 45 minutes, but no code. I'm
just waiting for Friday to come.

If this problem can be resolved in due time, then it'll be fine, but
if not and I end up just living with it, then I don't think I'll ever
buy another Honda again. And I wouldn't be saying this if this was the
only problem I've had to deal with. The list keeps on growing....

Any guesses as to what could be causing this?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 23 Feb 2004, 03:22 am
electricked
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Big Shaking/Vibration/Hesitation Problems (2003 Pilot). What do you guys suppose is causing this?

I don't have much experience with SUVs and pilot specifically but here are
some things you can try. It could be the tires as the mechanic mentioned.
Try switching the tires front to back and vice versa and observe the changes
if any. Also, it could be a suspension problem.

Here's a review I found that seems to have similar problems.

"Bought in early December 2002. Currently have 7,600 miles. Overall very
pleased with Pilot. Replaced Goodyear Integrity tires with Michelin Cross
Terrain. Vibration between 68-80 mph disappeared with new tires."

Google the problems you're having:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ation+problems


--Viktor


"Hokey Pokey" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
news:jl7j30tjk1tbvsaugs78a1gneeqamcsl48@4ax.com...
> I'm able to duplicate it everytime when the car's travelling at 80KM/H
> and 90KM/H (50MPH and 56MPH) AND with the RPM below 2K mark, most
> notably at around 1700. Basically, I have the gas depressed just
> slightly to maintain the speed in that range.
>
> And also at slower speeds, at around the 60KM/H (37MPH) and also at
> 40KM/H (25MPH) mark, again as the car's coasting with the gas pedal
> slightly pressed and the RPM being right around 1700RPM, similar
> behavior can be expericned.
>
> However, at those lower speeds, the car will lurch a little bit. It's
> not a violent lurch that'll make your head jar back and forth, but
> it's more like a hesitation or a stutter.
>
> Can tire problems make the car hesitate and lurch like that?
>
> Anyway, I went for a ride with a service technician, with him driving
> and he was able to duplicate the vibrations without any problems. At
> first he thought it could be the tires, but after several minutes and
> vibrations, he wasn't so sure anymore.
>
> He shifted down to D3 and tried it again and it was the same. As
> well, he mentioned that the steering wheel wasn't moving as much as on
> the cars with tires attributable to the vibration problems.
>
> When we came back, he suggested to book an appointment so he can have
> the car for the whole day. I'll be taking my Pilot in this coming
> Friday.
>
> He also said to maintain the speed and the vibration when it comes on
> and not take my foot of the gas to see if I can force a code to
> appear. He said if the Check Engine or the VTM-4 light comes on I
> should bring it to the dealer right away to get the code.
>
> Jesus, how ironic is that? I gotta drive this car like shit to have
> it fixed.
>
> At this point, he really doesn't know what it is. Could be the EGR
> valves, but then the lights would've came on already if it was that.
> Doesn't know if it's the transmission and hasn't entirely ruled out
> the tires yet.
>
> Over the weekend, I took my Pilot on the highway and just like I was
> suggested to do, I put the car on cruise once the vibration/shaking
> came on. I drove like that for close to 45 minutes, but no code. I'm
> just waiting for Friday to come.
>
> If this problem can be resolved in due time, then it'll be fine, but
> if not and I end up just living with it, then I don't think I'll ever
> buy another Honda again. And I wouldn't be saying this if this was the
> only problem I've had to deal with. The list keeps on growing....
>
> Any guesses as to what could be causing this?



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 23 Feb 2004, 11:41 am
'Curly Q. Links'
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Big Shaking/Vibration/Hesitation Problems (2003 Pilot). What do youguys suppose is causing this?

Hokey Pokey wrote:
>
> I'm able to duplicate it everytime when the car's travelling at 80KM/H
> and 90KM/H (50MPH and 56MPH) AND with the RPM below 2K mark, most
> notably at around 1700. Basically, I have the gas depressed just
> slightly to maintain the speed in that range.
>
> And also at slower speeds, at around the 60KM/H (37MPH) and also at
> 40KM/H (25MPH) mark, again as the car's coasting with the gas pedal
> slightly pressed and the RPM being right around 1700RPM, similar
> behavior can be expericned.
>
> However, at those lower speeds, the car will lurch a little bit. It's
> not a violent lurch that'll make your head jar back and forth, but
> it's more like a hesitation or a stutter.
>


=================

Hokey,

It's the Throttle Position Sensor, and it's died VERY prematurely. If
you had a manual transmission, you'd really feel that sucker lurch when
you try to drive slowly in first or second. It would be a reall bucking
bronco.

If they just put a meter with a needle on it accross the TPS, they'll
see it go spazzy at the point that coincides with 1700 RPM. You should
take a camcorder for a ride in a parking lot or a side road and just
watch the tach, while winding it up to 1700 RPM in each of the (manually
selected) gears. Try reverse too, to prove your point. Take a VHS copy
of the tape with you to the dealership and tell them to watch the tape
while they wait for your new throttle body to come from 'wherever'.

Let us know what the outcome is, eh??

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 23 Feb 2004, 01:41 pm
Hokey Pokey
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Big Shaking/Vibration/Hesitation Problems (2003 Pilot). What do you guys suppose is causing this?

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:41:33 -0700, "'Curly Q. Links'"
<motsco__@interbaun.com> wrote:

>Hokey Pokey wrote:

[snip]
>Hokey,
>
>It's the Throttle Position Sensor, and it's died VERY prematurely. If
>you had a manual transmission, you'd really feel that sucker lurch when
>you try to drive slowly in first or second. It would be a reall bucking
>bronco.
>
>If they just put a meter with a needle on it accross the TPS, they'll
>see it go spazzy at the point that coincides with 1700 RPM. You should
>take a camcorder for a ride in a parking lot or a side road and just
>watch the tach, while winding it up to 1700 RPM in each of the (manually
>selected) gears. Try reverse too, to prove your point. Take a VHS copy
>of the tape with you to the dealership and tell them to watch the tape
>while they wait for your new throttle body to come from 'wherever'.
>
>Let us know what the outcome is, eh??
>
>'Curly'


You bet, Curly. I'll be sure to print out your reply and show it to
the technician when I take my Pilot in to get this problem resolved.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 23 Feb 2004, 01:44 pm
Hokey Pokey
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Big Shaking/Vibration/Hesitation Problems (2003 Pilot). What do you guys suppose is causing this?

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 01:22:20 -0800, "electricked" <no_emails_please>
wrote:

>I don't have much experience with SUVs and pilot specifically but here are
>some things you can try. It could be the tires as the mechanic mentioned.
>Try switching the tires front to back and vice versa and observe the changes
>if any. Also, it could be a suspension problem.
>
>Here's a review I found that seems to have similar problems.
>
>"Bought in early December 2002. Currently have 7,600 miles. Overall very
>pleased with Pilot. Replaced Goodyear Integrity tires with Michelin Cross
>Terrain. Vibration between 68-80 mph disappeared with new tires."
>
>Google the problems you're having:
>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ation+problems
>
>--Viktor


Viktor, thanks for your timely reply. Although the tires certainly
can be considered as a possible source or problem, because of the
hesitation or the stutter I feel in the car in the lower speed ranges
I mentioned, I highly doubt it in this case. I'll have the above link
bookmarked just in case. Thanks for your time and courtesy.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 29 Feb 2004, 07:24 pm
Steve Lee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Big Shaking/Vibration/Hesitation Problems (2003 Pilot). What do you guys suppose is causing this?

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:41:33 -0700, "'Curly Q. Links'"
<motsco__@interbaun.com> wrote:

>Hokey,
>
>It's the Throttle Position Sensor, and it's died VERY prematurely. If
>you had a manual transmission, you'd really feel that sucker lurch when
>you try to drive slowly in first or second. It would be a reall bucking
>bronco.
>
>If they just put a meter with a needle on it accross the TPS, they'll
>see it go spazzy at the point that coincides with 1700 RPM. You should
>take a camcorder for a ride in a parking lot or a side road and just
>watch the tach, while winding it up to 1700 RPM in each of the (manually
>selected) gears. Try reverse too, to prove your point. Take a VHS copy
>of the tape with you to the dealership and tell them to watch the tape
>while they wait for your new throttle body to come from 'wherever'.
>
>Let us know what the outcome is, eh??
>
>'Curly'


Hey Curly, it's me, "Hokey" :-)

I haven't been able to book my Pilot to take it in to get this
vibration problem diagnosed yet, but I thought I'd update my situation
before I do.

Shortly after I you had provided me with the above answer, the
temperature here dropped and have been averaging about -5C/25F as the
high here. And lo and behold, the vibration problem is almost gone.
There'd be the odd time that it'd come back, but not as severely as it
had been vibrating as before.

When I first posted this question, the average high during the day was
like 8C/47F. On those days, I was able to make it vibrate as
described in my original post like clockwork.

So, right now, I'm waiting for the temperature to go up again and
remain that way before I make an appointment, so that the technicians
will be able to duplicate the vibration when they go for testdrives.

But are faulty TPS sensitive to temperature changes? This problem is
driving me nuts!!! I know it's there, but the darn thing decided to
take a hike just as soon as the temp dropped and I can't even take it
in to have it fixed.

Even though the technician saw it for himself the vibration problem
when he went for a testdrive with me, I'll bet you, if I brought my
Pilot to them now, they'll just gimme the, "we can't duplicate the
problem, so we can't work on it" BS.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 29 Feb 2004, 10:49 pm
'Curly Q. Links'
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Big Shaking/Vibration/Hesitation Problems (2003 Pilot). What doyou guys suppose is causing this?

Steve Lee wrote:
>
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:41:33 -0700, "'Curly Q. Links'"
> <motsco__@interbaun.com> wrote:
>
> >Hokey,
> >
> >It's the Throttle Position Sensor, and it's died VERY prematurely. If
> >you had a manual transmission, you'd really feel that sucker lurch when
> >you try to drive slowly in first or second. It would be a reall bucking
> >bronco.
> >
> >If they just put a meter with a needle on it accross the TPS, they'll
> >see it go spazzy at the point that coincides with 1700 RPM. You should
> >take a camcorder for a ride in a parking lot or a side road and just
> >watch the tach, while winding it up to 1700 RPM in each of the (manually
> >selected) gears. Try reverse too, to prove your point. Take a VHS copy
> >of the tape with you to the dealership and tell them to watch the tape
> >while they wait for your new throttle body to come from 'wherever'.
> >
> >Let us know what the outcome is, eh??
> >
> >'Curly'

>
> Hey Curly, it's me, "Hokey" :-)
>
> I haven't been able to book my Pilot to take it in to get this
> vibration problem diagnosed yet, but I thought I'd update my situation
> before I do.
>
> Shortly after I you had provided me with the above answer, the
> temperature here dropped and have been averaging about -5C/25F as the
> high here. And lo and behold, the vibration problem is almost gone.
> There'd be the odd time that it'd come back, but not as severely as it
> had been vibrating as before.
>
> When I first posted this question, the average high during the day was
> like 8C/47F. On those days, I was able to make it vibrate as
> described in my original post like clockwork.
>
> So, right now, I'm waiting for the temperature to go up again and
> remain that way before I make an appointment, so that the technicians
> will be able to duplicate the vibration when they go for testdrives.
>
> But are faulty TPS sensitive to temperature changes? This problem is
> driving me nuts!!! I know it's there, but the darn thing decided to
> take a hike just as soon as the temp dropped and I can't even take it
> in to have it fixed.
>
> Even though the technician saw it for himself the vibration problem
> when he went for a testdrive with me, I'll bet you, if I brought my
> Pilot to them now, they'll just gimme the, "we can't duplicate the
> problem, so we can't work on it" BS.


===============

That's why I said you need to do the camcorder evidence. The lens never
blinks. Your dealer and Honda H.O. can't refute your evidence. They may
even be glad to have a tape they can send to Japan / wherever for the
engineers to examine.

Shoot the tape well enough, and you may not even need the appointment.
:-)


'Curly'

===============
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01 Mar 2004, 12:27 pm
Steve Lee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Big Shaking/Vibration/Hesitation Problems (2003 Pilot). What do you guys suppose is causing this?

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:49:43 -0700, "'Curly Q. Links'"
<motsco__@interbaun.com> wrote:

>That's why I said you need to do the camcorder evidence. The lens never
>blinks. Your dealer and Honda H.O. can't refute your evidence. They may
>even be glad to have a tape they can send to Japan / wherever for the
>engineers to examine.
>
>Shoot the tape well enough, and you may not even need the appointment.
>:-)
>
>'Curly'


gotcha. I'll wait for the temperature to rise again and I'll have my
trusty camcorder with me then. Right now, I'm just not getting any
"action" from the Pilot :-)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2003 CR-V, LPG, shaking and engine problems Marcin P. Honda 2 5 16 Feb 2007 12:20 am
Re: Sustained Vibration Only @60MPH Between 1700-1900RPM in a 2003 Pilot. TL Honda 3 1 24 Jul 2003 06:16 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.