Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 22 Feb 2004, 05:35 pm
Tacy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Honda for a Student in Snowy Conditions

I live in Elliot Lake, Ontario (Canada) where there is snow on the
ground upwards of fourth months a year. I am looking to buy an
economical car to take me to a college about 16 kilmetres from my home.
My personal budget allows only upwards of $10,000 Canadian (about $7,500
American currently), so a relatively new Honda seems to be a good choice
considering what I've heard and read of Honda's reliability.

However, my family cars have always been four wheel drive or all
wheel drive. I am not very familiar with these systems, but the general
idea I have gathered is that they are ideally suited for the winter
weather conditions here since they are less likely to slip or lose control.

It was recommended to me that I purchase a Civic or Accord as they
are small, fuel-efficient, and reliable cars for students. I don't know
how they will handle in the snow, slush, and ice I expect to be driving
in because they are front wheel drive.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience or a technical explanation
of how driving a Honda will be different from a four or all wheel drive
vehicle during the winter?

- Tacy

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 22 Feb 2004, 06:15 pm
Forest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda for a Student in Snowy Conditions

"Tacy" <tacyhunter@dontspamthesofthome.net> wrote in message
news:l1b_b.13285$lQ2.1643@okepread02...
> I live in Elliot Lake, Ontario (Canada) where there is snow on the
> ground upwards of fourth months a year. I am looking to buy an
> economical car to take me to a college about 16 kilmetres from my home.
> My personal budget allows only upwards of $10,000 Canadian (about $7,500
> American currently), so a relatively new Honda seems to be a good choice
> considering what I've heard and read of Honda's reliability.
>
> However, my family cars have always been four wheel drive or all
> wheel drive. I am not very familiar with these systems, but the general
> idea I have gathered is that they are ideally suited for the winter
> weather conditions here since they are less likely to slip or lose

control.
>
> It was recommended to me that I purchase a Civic or Accord as they
> are small, fuel-efficient, and reliable cars for students. I don't know
> how they will handle in the snow, slush, and ice I expect to be driving
> in because they are front wheel drive.
>
> Does anyone have any first-hand experience or a technical explanation
> of how driving a Honda will be different from a four or all wheel drive
> vehicle during the winter?
>
> - Tacy


No. just put Bridgestone Blizzaks on all 4 corners, you'll be fine.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 22 Feb 2004, 08:24 pm
Fergie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda for a Student in Snowy Conditions

Tacy wrote:

> I live in Elliot Lake, Ontario (Canada) where there is snow on the
> ground upwards of fourth months a year. I am looking to buy an
> economical car to take me to a college about 16 kilmetres from my home.
> My personal budget allows only upwards of $10,000 Canadian (about $7,500
> American currently), so a relatively new Honda seems to be a good choice
> considering what I've heard and read of Honda's reliability.
>
> However, my family cars have always been four wheel drive or all wheel
> drive. I am not very familiar with these systems, but the general idea I
> have gathered is that they are ideally suited for the winter weather
> conditions here since they are less likely to slip or lose control.
>
> It was recommended to me that I purchase a Civic or Accord as they are
> small, fuel-efficient, and reliable cars for students. I don't know how
> they will handle in the snow, slush, and ice I expect to be driving in
> because they are front wheel drive.
>
> Does anyone have any first-hand experience or a technical explanation
> of how driving a Honda will be different from a four or all wheel drive
> vehicle during the winter?
>
> - Tacy
>

I have a 95 Civic 4dr which has been great on ice, slush and in snow;
the only winter drawback has been the noise from the 4 studded snow tires
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 23 Feb 2004, 11:48 am
T. Nelson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda for a Student in Snowy Conditions

In article <l1b_b.13285$lQ2.1643@okepread02>, Tacy
<tacyhunter@dontspamthesofthome.net> wrote:

> I live in Elliot Lake, Ontario (Canada) where there is snow on the
> ground upwards of fourth months a year. I am looking to buy an
> economical car to take me to a college about 16 kilmetres from my home.
> My personal budget allows only upwards of $10,000 Canadian (about $7,500
> American currently), so a relatively new Honda seems to be a good choice
> considering what I've heard and read of Honda's reliability.
>
> However, my family cars have always been four wheel drive or all
> wheel drive. I am not very familiar with these systems, but the general
> idea I have gathered is that they are ideally suited for the winter
> weather conditions here since they are less likely to slip or lose control.
>
> It was recommended to me that I purchase a Civic or Accord as they
> are small, fuel-efficient, and reliable cars for students. I don't know
> how they will handle in the snow, slush, and ice I expect to be driving
> in because they are front wheel drive.
>
> Does anyone have any first-hand experience or a technical explanation
> of how driving a Honda will be different from a four or all wheel drive
> vehicle during the winter?
>
> - Tacy


Tacy,
Don't believe everything you hear or read. I believe that a 4 wheel drive
vehicle such as a Honda CV-V or Pilot will run better on snow or ice
covered roads than a vehicle that has two wheel drive. Of course, I also
agree that special tires like the other posters recommended will also help
regardless of whether you have two wheel or four wheel drive. Chains also
help.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 23 Feb 2004, 07:25 pm
Tacy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda for a Student in Snowy Conditions

T. Nelson wrote:

> Tacy,
> Don't believe everything you hear or read. I believe that a 4 wheel drive
> vehicle such as a Honda CV-V or Pilot will run better on snow or ice
> covered roads than a vehicle that has two wheel drive. Of course, I also
> agree that special tires like the other posters recommended will also help
> regardless of whether you have two wheel or four wheel drive. Chains also
> help.


I checked some local listings and it seems like CR-Vs are quite
affordable but not at all common. Are all of them 4 wheel drive? Are
there any certain things I should look for in a used CR-V?

--
-- Tacy

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 23 Feb 2004, 07:32 pm
Tacy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda for a Student in Snowy Conditions

Fergie wrote:

> I have a 95 Civic 4dr which has been great on ice, slush and in snow;
> the only winter drawback has been the noise from the 4 studded snow
> tires


Do you ever have to stop on hills? I live in a region with many soft
hills and I see some vehicles spin their tyres on slopes. Does pressure
applied to the pedal have a lot more impact in icy conditions or is it
the weight of the car or tyre condition?

--
-- Tacy

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 23 Feb 2004, 09:11 pm
Sean D
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda for a Student in Snowy Conditions


"Tacy" <tacyhunter@dontspamthesofthome.net> wrote in message
news:nQx_b.63$Pc.35@okepread02...
> Fergie wrote:
>
> > I have a 95 Civic 4dr which has been great on ice, slush and in snow;
> > the only winter drawback has been the noise from the 4 studded snow
> > tires

>
> Do you ever have to stop on hills? I live in a region with many soft
> hills and I see some vehicles spin their tyres on slopes. Does pressure
> applied to the pedal have a lot more impact in icy conditions or is it
> the weight of the car or tyre condition?
>
> --
> -- Tacy
>


You have to keep in mind that there are a lot of morons on the road and more
often than not, when you see someone spinning their tires, it's because
they're using worn all-seasons. Get a good set of winter tires on all 4
tires and you'll be fine.


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 23 Feb 2004, 09:13 pm
Sean D
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda for a Student in Snowy Conditions


"Tacy" <tacyhunter@dontspamthesofthome.net> wrote in message
news:HKx_b.60$Pc.1@okepread02...
> T. Nelson wrote:
>
> > Tacy,
> > Don't believe everything you hear or read. I believe that a 4 wheel

drive
> > vehicle such as a Honda CV-V or Pilot will run better on snow or ice
> > covered roads than a vehicle that has two wheel drive. Of course, I also
> > agree that special tires like the other posters recommended will also

help
> > regardless of whether you have two wheel or four wheel drive. Chains

also
> > help.

>
> I checked some local listings and it seems like CR-Vs are quite
> affordable but not at all common. Are all of them 4 wheel drive? Are
> there any certain things I should look for in a used CR-V?
>
> --
> -- Tacy
>


CR-Vs are actually 2 wheel drive with a real-time 4 wheel drive system.
This means that most of the time, it's in 2 wheel drive mode (front wheel
drive actually) but it will seemlessly switch to 4 wheel drive if the front
tires slip. Once the front tires grip again, then it's back to 2 wheel
drive. This system is meant to give the best of both worlds. The traction
of 4 wheel drive when you need it, and the fuel economy of 2 wheel drive
when 4 wheel isn't needed.


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 24 Feb 2004, 09:28 am
Tacy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda for a Student in Snowy Conditions

Sean D wrote:

> You have to keep in mind that there are a lot of morons on the road and more
> often than not, when you see someone spinning their tires, it's because
> they're using worn all-seasons. Get a good set of winter tires on all 4
> tires and you'll be fine.


How many kilometres or miles could I expect from a set of winter tyres?
What sort of wheels would I want for the winter?

--
-- Tacy

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 24 Feb 2004, 09:31 am
Tacy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Honda for a Student in Snowy Conditions

Sean D wrote:

> CR-Vs are actually 2 wheel drive with a real-time 4 wheel drive system.
> This means that most of the time, it's in 2 wheel drive mode (front wheel
> drive actually) but it will seemlessly switch to 4 wheel drive if the front
> tires slip. Once the front tires grip again, then it's back to 2 wheel
> drive. This system is meant to give the best of both worlds. The traction
> of 4 wheel drive when you need it, and the fuel economy of 2 wheel drive
> when 4 wheel isn't needed.


Some people tell me that the CR-V is a Civic frame (pardon my
terminology if I'm incorrect) with a truck body on top, so it drives a
lot like a car. Is this true?

--
-- Tacy

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Foggy windows in snowy conditions GPN Honda 3 9 08 Jan 2005 01:42 pm
Help buy car for 19 yr old college student? me6@privacy.net Honda 2 9 17 May 2004 08:06 am
Help buy car for 19 yr old college student? me6@privacy.net Honda 3 52 19 Apr 2004 09:41 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.