Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 21 Feb 2004, 08:36 am
Matt Roos
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default revs while idling

Hi, All. I have a '94 Accord. When in park and idling, the engine revs up
and down with about once per second. rrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrrRRRRRRR.
etc. Can't remember the RPMs, but at the peak, it's probably double the
normal idle RPMs.

What could the problem be?

Thanks,
Matt

--
Remove Xs from address to reply via e-mail.


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 21 Feb 2004, 10:17 pm
Eric
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: revs while idling

Matt Roos wrote:
>
> Hi, All. I have a '94 Accord. When in park and idling, the engine revs
> up and down with about once per second.
> rrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrrRRRRRRR. etc. Can't remember the RPMs, but
> at the peak, it's probably double the normal idle RPMs.
>


This problem is often due to either low coolant, lack of coolant circulation
through certain valves/sensors, or trapped air in the coolant system.

You might want to read some of the prior threads where this problem has been
discussed before, for example http://tinyurl.com/3ac3w.

Eric
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 22 Feb 2004, 03:15 pm
DGB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: revs while idling

Approx 3 weeks after changing the head gasket on my wife's '95 Civic, I also
had this problem and discovered that there is what appears to be vacuum line
attachment assembly (about 2.5 x 4 inches) behind the fuel intake (top of
engine, center, near the fire wall). Two 10mm bolts had backed out and was
causing this. 5 minutes later everything was good again.

hope this helps.
David

"Matt Roos" <XXmatt.roos@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:b2KZb.20208$wD5.7961@nwrddc03.gnilink.net...
> Hi, All. I have a '94 Accord. When in park and idling, the engine revs

up
> and down with about once per second.

rrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrrRRRRRRR.
> etc. Can't remember the RPMs, but at the peak, it's probably double the
> normal idle RPMs.
>
> What could the problem be?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>
> --
> Remove Xs from address to reply via e-mail.
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 22 Feb 2004, 03:34 pm
DGB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: revs while idling

Approx 3 weeks after changing the head gasket on my wife's '95 Civic I had
this problem develop as well. I discovered that the two 10mm bolts holding
the IAC (Idle Air Control) Valve on had backed out. 5 minutes later all was
good again. Oh yeah, this thing is located top center near the fire wall on
the air/fuel intake assembly. It's about 3 x 4.5 inches...

hope this helps...
David


"Matt Roos" <XXmatt.roos@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:b2KZb.20208$wD5.7961@nwrddc03.gnilink.net...
> Hi, All. I have a '94 Accord. When in park and idling, the engine revs

up
> and down with about once per second.

rrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrrRRRRRRR.
> etc. Can't remember the RPMs, but at the peak, it's probably double the
> normal idle RPMs.
>
> What could the problem be?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>
> --
> Remove Xs from address to reply via e-mail.
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 23 Feb 2004, 05:35 am
icebox
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: revs while idling

I second that idea about low coolant. My 97 accord did the same after
it lost all the coolant due to a leak in the Radiator.

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 20:17:02 -0800, Eric <say.no@spam.now> wrote:

>Matt Roos wrote:
>>
>> Hi, All. I have a '94 Accord. When in park and idling, the engine revs
>> up and down with about once per second.
>> rrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrrRRRRRRR. etc. Can't remember the RPMs, but
>> at the peak, it's probably double the normal idle RPMs.
>>

>
>This problem is often due to either low coolant, lack of coolant circulation
>through certain valves/sensors, or trapped air in the coolant system.
>
>You might want to read some of the prior threads where this problem has been
>discussed before, for example http://tinyurl.com/3ac3w.
>
>Eric


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 27 Feb 2004, 02:32 pm
Dan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: revs while idling

I also have a '94 Accord EX Coupe 2.2vtec. Mine revs for about 10min before
it gets warmed up. And also if I give it gas just after starting it up on a
cold day it revs up then goes down to about 900 and back up to about 1500
really fast. Is that what you mean? Also, I have a question for you......How
warm does your heat get?
"Eric" <say.no@spam.now> wrote in message news:40382D3E.6ACC7CBA@spam.now...
> Matt Roos wrote:
> >
> > Hi, All. I have a '94 Accord. When in park and idling, the engine revs
> > up and down with about once per second.
> > rrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrrRRRRRRR. etc. Can't remember the RPMs,

but
> > at the peak, it's probably double the normal idle RPMs.
> >

>
> This problem is often due to either low coolant, lack of coolant

circulation
> through certain valves/sensors, or trapped air in the coolant system.
>
> You might want to read some of the prior threads where this problem has

been
> discussed before, for example http://tinyurl.com/3ac3w.
>
> Eric



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03 Mar 2004, 10:08 am
Denise Craig
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: revs while idling

I'd also check the EGR valve

"DGB" <dgbtfs@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:BOWdnXiyeoI-vaTdRVn-vA@comcast.com...
> Approx 3 weeks after changing the head gasket on my wife's '95 Civic

I had
> this problem develop as well. I discovered that the two 10mm bolts

holding
> the IAC (Idle Air Control) Valve on had backed out. 5 minutes later

all was
> good again. Oh yeah, this thing is located top center near the fire

wall on
> the air/fuel intake assembly. It's about 3 x 4.5 inches...
>
> hope this helps...
> David
>
>
> "Matt Roos" <XXmatt.roos@verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:b2KZb.20208$wD5.7961@nwrddc03.gnilink.net...
> > Hi, All. I have a '94 Accord. When in park and idling, the

engine revs
> up
> > and down with about once per second.

> rrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrrRRRRRRR.
> > etc. Can't remember the RPMs, but at the peak, it's probably

double the
> > normal idle RPMs.
> >
> > What could the problem be?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Matt
> >
> > --
> > Remove Xs from address to reply via e-mail.
> >
> >

>


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06 Mar 2004, 09:26 am
HyDr0
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: revs while idling

you know icould also be a faulty o2 sensor. it happened to my car. high low
surging so i went to the garage of a friend of mine
tested my sensors and everything my o2 sensor was shot so i replaced it and
i havent had a problem since


"Denise Craig" <schnupfen.tu@gmx.de> wrote in message
news:c24vun$1pjeqe$1@ID-43596.news.uni-berlin.de...
> I'd also check the EGR valve
>
> "DGB" <dgbtfs@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:BOWdnXiyeoI-vaTdRVn-vA@comcast.com...
> > Approx 3 weeks after changing the head gasket on my wife's '95 Civic

> I had
> > this problem develop as well. I discovered that the two 10mm bolts

> holding
> > the IAC (Idle Air Control) Valve on had backed out. 5 minutes later

> all was
> > good again. Oh yeah, this thing is located top center near the fire

> wall on
> > the air/fuel intake assembly. It's about 3 x 4.5 inches...
> >
> > hope this helps...
> > David
> >
> >
> > "Matt Roos" <XXmatt.roos@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > news:b2KZb.20208$wD5.7961@nwrddc03.gnilink.net...
> > > Hi, All. I have a '94 Accord. When in park and idling, the

> engine revs
> > up
> > > and down with about once per second.

> > rrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrrRRRRRRR.
> > > etc. Can't remember the RPMs, but at the peak, it's probably

> double the
> > > normal idle RPMs.
> > >
> > > What could the problem be?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Matt
> > >
> > > --
> > > Remove Xs from address to reply via e-mail.
> > >
> > >

> >

>



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
revs go up and down when in park pixielee Honda 3 4 27 Jan 2007 07:25 pm
choking in low revs louis_c Honda 3 2 08 Apr 2006 01:03 am
93 accord revs but doesn't move CUDS2009@gmail.com Honda 3 1 09 Dec 2005 10:22 am
Integra 97 revs up before shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd t Trasky Acura 3 01 May 2005 06:16 am
Prelude revs up and down at idle mjim@volcanomail.com Honda 3 3 11 Jan 2005 02:18 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.