Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 18 Feb 2004, 04:10 am
JR Lomas
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default ZC Swap

I just made a ZC SOHC swap into my Honda Civic 94 LX 5-speed. The car has
now absolutely no low-end power even for a civic. My car stalls going up my
driveway on first unless I slip on the clutch at 3000RPM. I have tested the
engine compression and it is good and well whithin specifications. I have
checked the timing and it is right at 15 degrees BTDC. Is there something I
am missing?
Thanks for any help in advance,

- JR


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 18 Feb 2004, 07:58 am
Jafir Elkurd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: ZC Swap

Did you install some sort of "racing" clutch?

"JR Lomas" <jrl@engineer.nu> wrote in message
news:T7Odnc9bhsK8p67dRVn-tA@comcast.com...
> I just made a ZC SOHC swap into my Honda Civic 94 LX 5-speed. The car has
> now absolutely no low-end power even for a civic. My car stalls going up

my
> driveway on first unless I slip on the clutch at 3000RPM. I have tested

the
> engine compression and it is good and well whithin specifications. I have
> checked the timing and it is right at 15 degrees BTDC. Is there something

I
> am missing?
> Thanks for any help in advance,
>
> - JR
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 18 Feb 2004, 09:19 am
'Curly Q. Links'
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: ZC Swap

JR Lomas wrote:
>
> I just made a ZC SOHC swap into my Honda Civic 94 LX 5-speed. The car has
> now absolutely no low-end power even for a civic. My car stalls going up my
> driveway on first unless I slip on the clutch at 3000RPM. I have tested the
> engine compression and it is good and well whithin specifications. I have
> checked the timing and it is right at 15 degrees BTDC. Is there something I
> am missing?
> Thanks for any help in advance,
>
> - JR


==================

Ignition timing may look OK with a scope, but the cam timing can be out
a tooth or two on the timing belt... Symptom: Hesitation, stalling at
low end, runs terrible until completely warmed up, and even then no
power.

'Curly'


=================
--
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 18 Feb 2004, 10:40 am
JR Lomas
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: ZC Swap

I installed a new clutch yes. But I got it from the Honda dealer... no
"racing" clutch, just the stock... the old one was slipping.

- JR

"Jafir Elkurd" <jafir@nospam.no.spam.hotpop.com> wrote in message
news:1036rsktjumb1bf@corp.supernews.com...
> Did you install some sort of "racing" clutch?
>
> "JR Lomas" <jrl@engineer.nu> wrote in message
> news:T7Odnc9bhsK8p67dRVn-tA@comcast.com...
> > I just made a ZC SOHC swap into my Honda Civic 94 LX 5-speed. The car

has
> > now absolutely no low-end power even for a civic. My car stalls going

up
> my
> > driveway on first unless I slip on the clutch at 3000RPM. I have tested

> the
> > engine compression and it is good and well whithin specifications. I

have
> > checked the timing and it is right at 15 degrees BTDC. Is there

something
> I
> > am missing?
> > Thanks for any help in advance,
> >
> > - JR
> >
> >

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 18 Feb 2004, 10:42 am
JR Lomas
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: ZC Swap

The belt is not off by a tooth or two. I already have made sure of that, I
precisely aligned the marks on the sprockets. The car does not hesitate or
run bad while cold (feels like it has more power when cold), the car has
plenty of power once it gets passed 3000RPMs.

"'Curly Q. Links'" <motsco__@interbaun.com> wrote in message
news:40338295.1582C479@interbaun.com...
> JR Lomas wrote:
> >
> > I just made a ZC SOHC swap into my Honda Civic 94 LX 5-speed. The car

has
> > now absolutely no low-end power even for a civic. My car stalls going

up my
> > driveway on first unless I slip on the clutch at 3000RPM. I have tested

the
> > engine compression and it is good and well whithin specifications. I

have
> > checked the timing and it is right at 15 degrees BTDC. Is there

something I
> > am missing?
> > Thanks for any help in advance,
> >
> > - JR

>
> ==================
>
> Ignition timing may look OK with a scope, but the cam timing can be out
> a tooth or two on the timing belt... Symptom: Hesitation, stalling at
> low end, runs terrible until completely warmed up, and even then no
> power.
>
> 'Curly'
>
>
> =================
> --



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 18 Feb 2004, 03:05 pm
sdlomi2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: ZC Swap


"JR Lomas" <jrl@engineer.nu> wrote in message
news:1uWdncPFSomQC67dRVn-uQ@comcast.com...
> The belt is not off by a tooth or two. I already have made sure of that, I
> precisely aligned the marks on the sprockets. The car does not hesitate

or
> run bad while cold (feels like it has more power when cold), the car has
> plenty of power once it gets passed 3000RPMs.


Double check the procedure for and actual measurement of the timing and
the called-for specs. for that particular combo. Initial timing being low
could kill initial low-end power. **Caution**Initial timing being HIGH
could burn a piston in a heartbeat!
HTH & good luck. s


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 18 Feb 2004, 03:17 pm
Rex B
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: ZC Swap

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:42:50 -0500, "JR Lomas" <jrl@engineer.nu> wrote:

|The belt is not off by a tooth or two. I already have made sure of that, I
|precisely aligned the marks on the sprockets. The car does not hesitate or
|run bad while cold (feels like it has more power when cold), the car has
|plenty of power once it gets passed 3000RPMs.

Sounds to me like the VTEC is engaged all the time.

|"'Curly Q. Links'" <motsco__@interbaun.com> wrote in message
|news:40338295.1582C479@interbaun.com...
|> JR Lomas wrote:
|> >
|> > I just made a ZC SOHC swap into my Honda Civic 94 LX 5-speed. The car
|has
|> > now absolutely no low-end power even for a civic. My car stalls going
|up my
|> > driveway on first unless I slip on the clutch at 3000RPM. I have tested
|the
|> > engine compression and it is good and well whithin specifications. I
|have
|> > checked the timing and it is right at 15 degrees BTDC. Is there
|something I
|> > am missing?
|> > Thanks for any help in advance,
|> >
|> > - JR
|>
|> ==================
|>
|> Ignition timing may look OK with a scope, but the cam timing can be out
|> a tooth or two on the timing belt... Symptom: Hesitation, stalling at
|> low end, runs terrible until completely warmed up, and even then no
|> power.
|>
|> 'Curly'
|>
|>
|> =================
|> --
|
|

Rex in Fort Worth
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 18 Feb 2004, 06:55 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: ZC Swap

NOSPAMrex@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B) wrote in
news:4033d651.198449820@news.txol.net:

> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:42:50 -0500, "JR Lomas" <jrl@engineer.nu>
> wrote:
>
>|The belt is not off by a tooth or two. I already have made sure of
>|that, I precisely aligned the marks on the sprockets. The car does
>|not hesitate or run bad while cold (feels like it has more power when
>|cold), the car has plenty of power once it gets passed 3000RPMs.
>
> Sounds to me like the VTEC is engaged all the time.
>


I wonder if he changed the ECU to match the new engine?


--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 18 Feb 2004, 08:44 pm
Jafir Elkurd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: ZC Swap

ZC isn't vtec. They are twin cam (and single cam) 1.6l engines that were in
88-91 civics in Japan.

"Jim Yanik" <jyanik@abuse.gov> wrote in message
news:Xns9493CB17D4350jyanikkuanet@204.117.192.21.. .
> NOSPAMrex@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B) wrote in
> news:4033d651.198449820@news.txol.net:
>
> > On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:42:50 -0500, "JR Lomas" <jrl@engineer.nu>
> > wrote:
> >
> >|The belt is not off by a tooth or two. I already have made sure of
> >|that, I precisely aligned the marks on the sprockets. The car does
> >|not hesitate or run bad while cold (feels like it has more power when
> >|cold), the car has plenty of power once it gets passed 3000RPMs.
> >
> > Sounds to me like the VTEC is engaged all the time.
> >

>
> I wonder if he changed the ECU to match the new engine?
>
>
> --
> Jim Yanik
> jyanik-at-kua.net



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 19 Feb 2004, 08:31 am
Rex B
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: ZC Swap

You are correct, brain fade on my part
So it's back to probable timing, ignition or camshaft.
I'd say the cam is retarded one tooth.

|ZC isn't vtec. They are twin cam (and single cam) 1.6l engines that were in
|88-91 civics in Japan.
|
|"Jim Yanik" <jyanik@abuse.gov> wrote in message
|news:Xns9493CB17D4350jyanikkuanet@204.117.192.21. ..
|> NOSPAMrex@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B) wrote in
|> news:4033d651.198449820@news.txol.net:
|>
|> > On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:42:50 -0500, "JR Lomas" <jrl@engineer.nu>
|> > wrote:
|> >
|> >|The belt is not off by a tooth or two. I already have made sure of
|> >|that, I precisely aligned the marks on the sprockets. The car does
|> >|not hesitate or run bad while cold (feels like it has more power when
|> >|cold), the car has plenty of power once it gets passed 3000RPMs.
|> >
|> > Sounds to me like the VTEC is engaged all the time.
|> >
|>
|> I wonder if he changed the ECU to match the new engine?
|>
|>
|> --
|> Jim Yanik
|> jyanik-at-kua.net
|
|

Rex in Fort Worth
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
swap engine vtech_lude Honda 3 1 22 Mar 2006 07:53 pm
Transmission Swap Latman Acura 0 20 Jan 2006 02:36 pm
engine swap for an 87 CRX agent smith Honda 2 5 15 Jan 2004 06:47 pm
INTEGRA GSR SWAP Atek Auto Honda 2 2 13 Nov 2003 04:14 pm
engine swap \(\) |V| 3 G A Honda 3 3 30 Oct 2003 11:09 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.