Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11 Feb 2004, 11:20 am
Steve Mackie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 2003 Honda Civic maintenance schedule

What is the proper oil change interval for an '03 Civic. The owners manual
and dealership have to different opinions. The manual says 20,000kms or 12
months, the dealer says 8,000kms or 4 months. Is the dealership just tring
to take my friend for a ride by discounting what the owner's manual says?

Steve


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.583 / Virus Database: 369 - Release Date: 2/10/04


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11 Feb 2004, 11:33 am
Adam Clarke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2003 Honda Civic maintenance schedule

In Canada you follow the severe duty schedule, 6 months or 8,000 km
whichever comes first. The 4 month interval that the dealership is
recommending is just so they can make more money. As long as you follow
6/8,000 you will NOT void your warrenty.


"Steve Mackie" <steve.mackie@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:AvtWb.92990$IF6.2515598@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
> What is the proper oil change interval for an '03 Civic. The owners manual
> and dealership have to different opinions. The manual says 20,000kms or 12
> months, the dealer says 8,000kms or 4 months. Is the dealership just tring
> to take my friend for a ride by discounting what the owner's manual says?
>
> Steve
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.583 / Virus Database: 369 - Release Date: 2/10/04
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11 Feb 2004, 05:45 pm
Pailyn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2003 Honda Civic maintenance schedule

If dealers and oil change business can get away welling the idea of changing
your oil every month or every 1,000 mile they'll do it.

Just follow your normal or severe schedule, whichever fits your situation
best.
"Steve Mackie" <steve.mackie@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:AvtWb.92990$IF6.2515598@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
> What is the proper oil change interval for an '03 Civic. The owners manual
> and dealership have to different opinions. The manual says 20,000kms or 12
> months, the dealer says 8,000kms or 4 months. Is the dealership just tring
> to take my friend for a ride by discounting what the owner's manual says?
>
> Steve
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.583 / Virus Database: 369 - Release Date: 2/10/04
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12 Feb 2004, 03:30 pm
T. Nelson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2003 Honda Civic maintenance schedule

In article <AvtWb.92990$IF6.2515598@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>, "Steve
Mackie" <steve.mackie@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> What is the proper oil change interval for an '03 Civic. The owners manual
> and dealership have to different opinions. The manual says 20,000kms or 12
> months, the dealer says 8,000kms or 4 months. Is the dealership just tring
> to take my friend for a ride by discounting what the owner's manual says?
>
> Steve
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.583 / Virus Database: 369 - Release Date: 2/10/04


The local Honda dealership recommends that people change the oil every
3000 miles. If you plan to keep the car for many many years, I suggest
that you change the oil every 3000 miles. If you plan to trade it in in
the near future, change it every 8,000 miles.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 14 Feb 2004, 08:41 am
Bob Burns
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2003 Honda Civic maintenance schedule

Steve Mackie wrote:
> What is the proper oil change interval for an '03 Civic. The owners
> manual and dealership have to different opinions. The manual says
> 20,000kms or 12 months, the dealer says 8,000kms or 4 months. Is the
> dealership just tring to take my friend for a ride by discounting
> what the owner's manual says?
>
> Steve
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.583 / Virus Database: 369 - Release Date: 2/10/04


Yes! Follow the manual; Honda engineers know what they are doing.

--
Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA
treborburns@earthlink.net


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 14 Feb 2004, 04:35 pm
T. Nelson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2003 Honda Civic maintenance schedule

In article <gsqXb.4482$W74.431@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.n et>, "Bob
Burns" <treborburns@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Steve Mackie wrote:
> > What is the proper oil change interval for an '03 Civic. The owners
> > manual and dealership have to different opinions. The manual says
> > 20,000kms or 12 months, the dealer says 8,000kms or 4 months. Is the
> > dealership just tring to take my friend for a ride by discounting
> > what the owner's manual says?
> >
> > Steve
> >
> >
> > ---
> > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> > Version: 6.0.583 / Virus Database: 369 - Release Date: 2/10/04

>
> Yes! Follow the manual; Honda engineers know what they are doing.


Yes, I agree that the Honda engineers know what they are doing. Those
engineers know that a Honda engine will last much longer if the oil is
changed every 3000 miles. They recommend 8000 mile changes so your engine
won't last as long and therefore they can sell more cars. I heard of one
other car company that recommends 10,000 mile oil changes for these same
reasons. Another company recommends a tune-up at 50,000 miles. Those
companies have one goal in mind--to sell more cars. My goal is to buy a
Honda car and make it last at least 10 years without any major engine
work. That's why I change the oil at 3,000 miles.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 15 Feb 2004, 08:29 am
Bob Burns
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2003 Honda Civic maintenance schedule

T. Nelson wrote:
> In article <gsqXb.4482$W74.431@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.n et>, "Bob
> Burns" <treborburns@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Steve Mackie wrote:
>>> What is the proper oil change interval for an '03 Civic. The owners
>>> manual and dealership have to different opinions. The manual says
>>> 20,000kms or 12 months, the dealer says 8,000kms or 4 months. Is the
>>> dealership just tring to take my friend for a ride by discounting
>>> what the owner's manual says?
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
>>> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
>>> Version: 6.0.583 / Virus Database: 369 - Release Date: 2/10/04

>>
>> Yes! Follow the manual; Honda engineers know what they are doing.

>
> Yes, I agree that the Honda engineers know what they are doing. Those
> engineers know that a Honda engine will last much longer if the oil is
> changed every 3000 miles. They recommend 8000 mile changes so your
> engine won't last as long and therefore they can sell more cars. I
> heard of one other car company that recommends 10,000 mile oil
> changes for these same reasons. Another company recommends a tune-up
> at 50,000 miles. Those companies have one goal in mind--to sell more
> cars. My goal is to buy a Honda car and make it last at least 10
> years without any major engine work. That's why I change the oil at
> 3,000 miles.


REspectfully, disagree. Our '90 Accord lasted 270K miles and just died, our
'94 Integra is at 165K mile and running strong on factory recomended oil
changes. And my '86 CRX was at about 150K in '94 whaen I traded it in on
the Integra.

--
Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA
treborburns@earthlink.net


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 15 Feb 2004, 10:33 am
L Alpert
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2003 Honda Civic maintenance schedule

Bob Burns wrote:
> T. Nelson wrote:
>> In article <gsqXb.4482$W74.431@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.n et>,
>> "Bob Burns" <treborburns@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Steve Mackie wrote:
>>>> What is the proper oil change interval for an '03 Civic. The owners
>>>> manual and dealership have to different opinions. The manual says
>>>> 20,000kms or 12 months, the dealer says 8,000kms or 4 months. Is
>>>> the dealership just tring to take my friend for a ride by
>>>> discounting what the owner's manual says?
>>>>
>>>> Steve
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> ---
>>>> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
>>>> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
>>>> Version: 6.0.583 / Virus Database: 369 - Release Date: 2/10/04
>>>
>>> Yes! Follow the manual; Honda engineers know what they are doing.

>>
>> Yes, I agree that the Honda engineers know what they are doing. Those
>> engineers know that a Honda engine will last much longer if the oil
>> is changed every 3000 miles. They recommend 8000 mile changes so your
>> engine won't last as long and therefore they can sell more cars. I
>> heard of one other car company that recommends 10,000 mile oil
>> changes for these same reasons. Another company recommends a tune-up
>> at 50,000 miles. Those companies have one goal in mind--to sell more
>> cars. My goal is to buy a Honda car and make it last at least 10
>> years without any major engine work. That's why I change the oil at
>> 3,000 miles.

>
> REspectfully, disagree. Our '90 Accord lasted 270K miles and just
> died, our '94 Integra is at 165K mile and running strong on factory
> recomended oil changes. And my '86 CRX was at about 150K in '94
> whaen I traded it in on the Integra.


The manufacturing methodologies have improved vastly over the years since
the recommended 2K-3K oil changes. Tolerances are tighter, measurements are
more accurate, methods of machining are more precise then ever (and will
become even more precise).


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda Accord '00 maintenance schedule amit.agarwal@gmail.com Honda 2 6 08 Jan 2007 12:14 am
Maintenance Schedule for 2006 Civic Oakparker Honda 3 19 01 Oct 2006 10:31 pm
Re: is 7500 miles schedule maintenance a BS? johnin Honda 2 0 08 May 2006 06:46 am
maintenance schedule VA_Tech_Hokies Honda 3 2 09 Dec 2004 07:59 am
Honda maintenance schedule Jude Barnes Honda 3 7 04 Dec 2003 11:14 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.