Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09 Feb 2004, 05:07 pm
LovingPerson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default I just test drove a 1997 VTEC Prelude. I can't say I noticed any huge performance gap between it and my 95 LUDE Si

Dear all:

My 1995 Prelude was owned by a Middle aged Tech Sgt in the Air
Force. She learned some very valuable habbits on how to take care of
cars from her father. For example: when she was a teenager, she was
not allowed to even drive the car unless the car was cleaned and
waxed! Her father instilled in her a sense of pride and joy in having
a top notch car. Furthermore, she never drove the car hard and never
raced/abused her baby, the Prelude. I am a very happy owner of this
1995 Prelude. I didn't even realize how lucky I was to finid such a
great previous owner until today:

Today, the difference this kind of caring became very clear to
me. I went a drive a 1997 Prelude, thinking that I was going to buy
it because it has a VTEC engine. I thought since my 1995 is only an
Si model, I could use the extra horses. To my surprise, the 1997 VTEC
didn't make the car that much faster. I am not even sure if it was
faster at all. I, for one, could not appreciate the VTEC coming on at
5500 rmp.

To make matters worse, the 1997 sounded rougher (even though it
only has 160,000 miles, while my 1995 has 171,000 miles). Comparing
the condition of the cars, my 1995 beats the 1997 hands down. My 1995
is just a joy to drive and is very smooth. The 97 has louder engine
sounds and just in general rides rougher.

So, it became an easy call to make. I decided not to get the 97
Prelude. Let me be clear: I was very sincere about buying the 97
before I went out there. In fact, I was carrying $4500 in CASH with
me. See, when I really test drive a car, I don't waste people's time.
I carry the cash with me and I would have bought it if the car had
really wowed me.

So, here is my observation, now after having driven both a 4th
gen and a 5th gen Prelude: 1. How a car is taken care of makes a huge
differenct. 2. The VTEC 97 (200hp) and the 95 Si (160hp) really do
not have that big of a gap in terms of acceleration from 0-60. 3. The
97 is heavier. 4. The styling of the 97 is less cool than the 95
(the fifth gen is too tame in terms of styling).

Points 1-4 translates into my 1995 Lude being more fun to drive
than the 1997 one I saw today.

If you want to see my 1995 prelude it is here:
http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index...21584&size=big

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index...21585&size=big

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index...21586&size=big


If you want to see the ad in for the 1997 Lude: it is here:
http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ca...or=&cardist=13


As you can see, just from the picture, you can't tell that 1997
is worse than my 1995, but trust me, the moment you drive the two, you
will know that my 1995 was much better taken care of than the 1997.


What has been your experience with different generations of cars?
Did you find that you improved your lot when you stepped up to the
newer generations? I must say, I had expected to be wow'd, but it
didn't happen. Maybe my expectations were too high. Who knows.
Shrug.


sincerely. Dr. Moser.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09 Feb 2004, 05:14 pm
John Ings
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I just test drove a 1997 VTEC Prelude. I can't say I noticed any huge performance gap between it and my 95 LUDE Si

On 9 Feb 2004 15:07:47 -0800, saylo1234@aol.com (LovingPerson) wrote:

>The VTEC 97 (200hp) and the 95 Si (160hp) really do
>not have that big of a gap in terms of acceleration from 0-60.


Did you take the VTEC to the redline?


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09 Feb 2004, 05:32 pm
Bill 2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I just test drove a 1997 VTEC Prelude. I can't say I noticed any huge performance gap between it and my 95 LUDE Si


"LovingPerson" <saylo1234@aol.com> wrote in message
news:fed77941.0402091507.1b93eff4@posting.google.c om...
> Dear all:
>
> My 1995 Prelude was owned by a Middle aged Tech Sgt in the Air
> Force. She learned some very valuable habbits on how to take care of
> cars from her father. For example: when she was a teenager, she was
> not allowed to even drive the car unless the car was cleaned and
> waxed!


Must have been fun in the winter.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09 Feb 2004, 06:42 pm
Manic Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I just test drove a 1997 VTEC Prelude. I can't say I noticed anyhuge performance gap between it and my 95 LUDE Si

LovingPerson wrote:
>
> Dear all:
>
> My 1995 Prelude was owned by a Middle aged Tech Sgt in the Air
> Force. She learned some very valuable habbits on how to take care of
> cars from her father. For example: when she was a teenager, she was
> not allowed to even drive the car unless the car was cleaned and
> waxed! Her father instilled in her a sense of pride and joy in having
> a top notch car. Furthermore, she never drove the car hard and never
> raced/abused her baby, the Prelude. I am a very happy owner of this
> 1995 Prelude. I didn't even realize how lucky I was to finid such a
> great previous owner until today:


OK, this doesn't make any sense... You imply that you're the second owner
of a very well cared for car and now you're abusing it by spinning out the
tires on some oil just to make some nifty pictures? Go Figure! Perhaps you
didn't learn anything from the prior owner's diligence.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09 Feb 2004, 06:51 pm
223rem
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I just test drove a 1997 VTEC Prelude. I can't say I noticedany huge performance gap between it and my 95 LUDE Si

LovingPerson wrote:

> If you want to see my 1995 prelude it is here:
> http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index...21584&size=big


So very tasteful. Pure rice.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09 Feb 2004, 09:27 pm
LovingPerson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I just test drove a 1997 VTEC Prelude. I can't say I noticed any huge performance gap between it and my 95 LUDE Si

"Bill 2" <asdf@asdf.com> wrote in message news:<vMUVb.91354$IF6.2455676@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>...
> "LovingPerson" <saylo1234@aol.com> wrote in message
> news:fed77941.0402091507.1b93eff4@posting.google.c om...
> > Dear all:
> >
> > My 1995 Prelude was owned by a Middle aged Tech Sgt in the Air
> > Force. She learned some very valuable habbits on how to take care of
> > cars from her father. For example: when she was a teenager, she was
> > not allowed to even drive the car unless the car was cleaned and
> > waxed!

>
> Must have been fun in the winter.


Funny you should mention that. I bought the car in the dead of winter
and the car was waxed! She says that even in weather like this, she
would still go out there and wax it, just because it has become a
habbit and she really respects her car. I can't say that I have kept
up with her habbit. In fact, the car is definitely in need of a wash
and a spray (ie wash away all the salt). It takes a lot of work to
keep a car clean and in tip top running condition!

sincerely.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09 Feb 2004, 09:30 pm
Bill 2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I just test drove a 1997 VTEC Prelude. I can't say I noticed any huge performance gap between it and my 95 LUDE Si


"LovingPerson" <saylo1234@aol.com> wrote in message
news:fed77941.0402091927.3d6f7de2@posting.google.c om...
> "Bill 2" <asdf@asdf.com> wrote in message

news:<vMUVb.91354$IF6.2455676@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>...
> > "LovingPerson" <saylo1234@aol.com> wrote in message
> > news:fed77941.0402091507.1b93eff4@posting.google.c om...
> > > Dear all:
> > >
> > > My 1995 Prelude was owned by a Middle aged Tech Sgt in the Air
> > > Force. She learned some very valuable habbits on how to take care of
> > > cars from her father. For example: when she was a teenager, she was
> > > not allowed to even drive the car unless the car was cleaned and
> > > waxed!

> >
> > Must have been fun in the winter.

>
> Funny you should mention that. I bought the car in the dead of winter
> and the car was waxed! She says that even in weather like this, she
> would still go out there and wax it, just because it has become a
> habbit and she really respects her car. I can't say that I have kept
> up with her habbit. In fact, the car is definitely in need of a wash
> and a spray (ie wash away all the salt). It takes a lot of work to
> keep a car clean and in tip top running condition!
>


As much as I love a shiny clean waxed car, it is too much for me to keep the
salt off in the winter. Within a day it's covered again, plus it can be hard
to wash the car when it's cold out. Although when it is mild out I do try to
wash off all the salt, and I'm sure to wax it up before and after winter.


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09 Feb 2004, 09:32 pm
Bill 2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I just test drove a 1997 VTEC Prelude. I can't say I noticed any huge performance gap between it and my 95 LUDE Si


"223rem" <223rem@sbcglobal.com> wrote in message
news:%VVVb.1233$t16.1124442@newssvr28.news.prodigy .com...
> LovingPerson wrote:
>
> > If you want to see my 1995 prelude it is here:
> > http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index...21584&size=big

>
> So very tasteful. Pure rice.



Headlights must have amazing range.

Isn't it not good to floor a FWD when the wheels are turned full lock?


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09 Feb 2004, 09:33 pm
LovingPerson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I just test drove a 1997 VTEC Prelude. I can't say I noticed any huge performance gap between it and my 95 LUDE Si

John Ings <nodamned@spam.org> wrote in message news:<d15g20tnn6ooutu9tuknj6c0t84veel9n8@4ax.com>. ..
> On 9 Feb 2004 15:07:47 -0800, saylo1234@aol.com (LovingPerson) wrote:
>
> >The VTEC 97 (200hp) and the 95 Si (160hp) really do
> >not have that big of a gap in terms of acceleration from 0-60.

>
> Did you take the VTEC to the redline?


did not mean to take to redline, but at one point, I did do it.

When I wasn't at redline, I was right below red line. Let me tell ya,
I drove the crap out of this Lude on the test drive. But it didn't
exceed my expectations. As I say, I may have had my expectation set
too high because I had some unrealistic idea of the VTEC dual cam.

sincerely.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09 Feb 2004, 11:49 pm
xero
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I just test drove a 1997 VTEC Prelude. I can't say I noticed any huge performance gap between it and my 95 LUDE Si

I own a '98 and once it hits 5000rpm it moves. Maybe something was wrong
with the one you took for a test drive. Perhaps something was wrong with
the ECU? I know that if the speed sensor is malfunctioning V-TEC won't
work. I'm sure there are other things that could cause it not to kick in


"LovingPerson" <saylo1234@aol.com> wrote in message
news:fed77941.0402091933.58384c2c@posting.google.c om...
> John Ings <nodamned@spam.org> wrote in message

news:<d15g20tnn6ooutu9tuknj6c0t84veel9n8@4ax.com>. ..
> > On 9 Feb 2004 15:07:47 -0800, saylo1234@aol.com (LovingPerson) wrote:
> >
> > >The VTEC 97 (200hp) and the 95 Si (160hp) really do
> > >not have that big of a gap in terms of acceleration from 0-60.

> >
> > Did you take the VTEC to the redline?

>
> did not mean to take to redline, but at one point, I did do it.
>
> When I wasn't at redline, I was right below red line. Let me tell ya,
> I drove the crap out of this Lude on the test drive. But it didn't
> exceed my expectations. As I say, I may have had my expectation set
> too high because I had some unrealistic idea of the VTEC dual cam.
>
> sincerely.



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Test drove an RDX...what's the big deal? Nobody Acura 14 18 Jun 2007 02:03 pm
honda prelude VTEC big loss of performance. Scythemk Honda 3 2 22 Feb 2006 12:06 am
Test drove the '05 Ody.....whadda ya think? Harpman Honda 2 6 07 Jan 2005 06:38 pm
I just test drove a 1997 VTEC Prelude. I can't say I noticed any huge performance gap between it and my 95 LUDE Si LovingPerson Honda 3 93 02 Mar 2004 07:45 am
I just test drove a 1997 VTEC Prelude. I can't say I noticed any huge performance gap between it and my 95 LUDE Si LovingPerson Honda 1 31 16 Feb 2004 10:53 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.