Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01 Feb 2004, 11:24 am
Shankar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 1990 Honda Accord LX - Heats up

I have a 1990 Honda Accord LX with 190-K Miles on it.

For the past two months the car heats up in city traffic.

1) On the highway at 65 mph there is no problem. But when I pull into
city traffic after a 1/2 hour highway drive the temperature gauage
goes up almost to the top.
2) I turn the heater to max and also put the fan on Fresh and Max,
this seem to stabilize the temperature.
3) I can start the car and keep it running on idle for hours and the
temperature is steady (the car does not over heat).
4) I have checked the coolant and it is full.

Any help is apprecieated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01 Feb 2004, 11:40 am
Exeter
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1990 Honda Accord LX - Heats up

sdevarajan@hotmail.com (Shankar) wrote in
news:32143560.0402010924.128fed1@posting.google.co m:

> I have a 1990 Honda Accord LX with 190-K Miles on it.
>
> For the past two months the car heats up in city traffic.


Sounds like a thermostat problem. I had the exact same thing happen to
my 88 Accord a few months ago, turns out that it had the original
thermostat in it. They replaced it, put in new coolant and everything
was fine after that.

You also may want to check your fan fuses. I had two fans on mine (at
the radiator). One time, one of the fuses blew and prevented one of the
fans from turning on. Check the fusebox out by the engine (not the one
inside.)

I'm betting it's the thermostat.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01 Feb 2004, 06:16 pm
sup-man
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1990 Honda Accord LX - Heats up

I have a 91 accord and the problem with my is the waterpump. One of the
blade is broken and I took my to honda dealer and they claim it was the
headgasket. They fix the gasket and it still won't work. I finally they look
into the waterpump and it was a blade that was broken.


"Exeter" <Exeter@spamex.com> wrote in message
news:Xns948276C985AB7exeter99x@204.127.199.17...
> sdevarajan@hotmail.com (Shankar) wrote in
> news:32143560.0402010924.128fed1@posting.google.co m:
>
> > I have a 1990 Honda Accord LX with 190-K Miles on it.
> >
> > For the past two months the car heats up in city traffic.

>
> Sounds like a thermostat problem. I had the exact same thing happen to
> my 88 Accord a few months ago, turns out that it had the original
> thermostat in it. They replaced it, put in new coolant and everything
> was fine after that.
>
> You also may want to check your fan fuses. I had two fans on mine (at
> the radiator). One time, one of the fuses blew and prevented one of the
> fans from turning on. Check the fusebox out by the engine (not the one
> inside.)
>
> I'm betting it's the thermostat.



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01 Feb 2004, 09:46 pm
Jonathan Upright
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1990 Honda Accord LX - Heats up

That dealer was retarded (or just down-right deceptive) to think of that as
the first thing. If I encountered that problem, I would check the
thermostat first, then possibly look into coolant not circulating properly,
but, if coolant isn't discolored (no signs of coolant and oil blending) and
if there's no loss of horsepower, chances are it's NOT the head gasket.
Just a tip for future reference. :-)

Jon

"sup-man" <sup-man@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:101r5o43setne74@corp.supernews.com...
> I have a 91 accord and the problem with my is the waterpump. One of the
> blade is broken and I took my to honda dealer and they claim it was the
> headgasket. They fix the gasket and it still won't work. I finally they

look
> into the waterpump and it was a blade that was broken.
>
>
> "Exeter" <Exeter@spamex.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns948276C985AB7exeter99x@204.127.199.17...
> > sdevarajan@hotmail.com (Shankar) wrote in
> > news:32143560.0402010924.128fed1@posting.google.co m:
> >
> > > I have a 1990 Honda Accord LX with 190-K Miles on it.
> > >
> > > For the past two months the car heats up in city traffic.

> >
> > Sounds like a thermostat problem. I had the exact same thing happen to
> > my 88 Accord a few months ago, turns out that it had the original
> > thermostat in it. They replaced it, put in new coolant and everything
> > was fine after that.
> >
> > You also may want to check your fan fuses. I had two fans on mine (at
> > the radiator). One time, one of the fuses blew and prevented one of the
> > fans from turning on. Check the fusebox out by the engine (not the one
> > inside.)
> >
> > I'm betting it's the thermostat.

>
>



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Accord drops rpms as it heats up then kills. biglare Honda 3 3 12 Aug 2007 07:41 am
Honda Accord 95 Engine Heats up nksheth@gmail.com Honda 3 1 03 Feb 2007 05:55 pm
Re: Re: 1990 Honda Accord EX Spoon Honda 2 1 31 Jan 2006 12:46 am
Re: Honda Accord EX 1990 slider Honda 2 0 29 Mar 2005 10:44 am
1990 Honda Accord LX - Heats up Shankar Honda 2 0 01 Feb 2004 11:24 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.