Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 29 Jan 2004, 06:07 pm
Andy M --Tampa Bay--
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 92 Accord caliper type

I'm planning on installing front brake pads on my 92 Accord (with help from
a buddy) but was told at the auto parts store that you have to know the
caliper manufacturer. 92 Accords came with either Nissin or Akebono
calipers. How do I know which one was on mine? I don't mind taking my
wheel/tire off to check, but I'm trying to save myself that hassle.
At least the local Discount Auto Parts says that the price is the same for
the brake pads regardless of caliper manufacturer.






Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 29 Jan 2004, 06:33 pm
Tegger®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 92 Accord caliper type

"Andy M --Tampa Bay--" <nospamandym@yahoo.com> spake unto the masses in
news:7fhSb.62287$Bj.34330@twister.tampabay.rr.com:

> I'm planning on installing front brake pads on my 92 Accord (with help
> from a buddy) but was told at the auto parts store that you have to
> know the caliper manufacturer. 92 Accords came with either Nissin or
> Akebono calipers. How do I know which one was on mine? I don't mind
> taking my wheel/tire off to check, but I'm trying to save myself that
> hassle. At least the local Discount Auto Parts says that the price is
> the same for the brake pads regardless of caliper manufacturer.



Akebono calipers have a logo cast into their tops that looks a bit like
three diamonds. Some people confuse it with the Mitsubishi logo.

Nissin calipers probably have "Nissin" cast into their tops, but mine are
probably too old and rusty to still have that. OEM Nissin pads have
"Nissin" pressed into the bad backing.

Oh, by the way, I'd strongly advise using OEM pads. Unless you like blued,
warped rotors, lots of dust and squealing. And don't discard those shims
that should be on the backs of the existing pads.

--
TeGGeR®
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 29 Jan 2004, 07:45 pm
chuck smoko
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 92 Accord caliper type

Andy,
If you find a place that has both pads in stock, you can
just tare it down and take the pads w/ you to compare.
There was another reply to you post that suggest using
OEM. On the Accords w/ the pain in the butt to replace
rotors (like I think the 92 Accord has), anything to keep
the rotors from overheat'n and warping up is advised. On
my 97 Accord, I got Raybestos Organic. I just stay away
from semi-metallic. The Honda OEM ones are also a very
safe bet.

chuck

Andy M --Tampa Bay-- wrote:

> I'm planning on installing front brake pads on my 92 Accord (with help from
> a buddy) but was told at the auto parts store that you have to know the
> caliper manufacturer. 92 Accords came with either Nissin or Akebono
> calipers. How do I know which one was on mine? I don't mind taking my
> wheel/tire off to check, but I'm trying to save myself that hassle.
> At least the local Discount Auto Parts says that the price is the same for
> the brake pads regardless of caliper manufacturer.
>


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jan 2004, 09:44 pm
Andy M --Tampa Bay--
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 92 Accord caliper type

Thanks all!

Read on some web forum that Akebono calipers have both nuts 17mm, while for
Nissin's, one of the nuts is 14mm.

Anyways, got the job done with a good friend's help, older brakes were
Raybestos PG+. POS. They still had half-life left, but the pads on the front
right were kinda splintering, some material kinda flaking off.

Cheers
Andy M

chuck smoko wrote:
>> Andy,
>> If you find a place that has both pads in stock, you can
>> just tare it down and take the pads w/ you to compare.
>> There was another reply to you post that suggest using
>> OEM. On the Accords w/ the pain in the butt to replace
>> rotors (like I think the 92 Accord has), anything to keep
>> the rotors from overheat'n and warping up is advised. On
>> my 97 Accord, I got Raybestos Organic. I just stay away
>> from semi-metallic. The Honda OEM ones are also a very
>> safe bet.
>>
>> chuck
>>
>> Andy M --Tampa Bay-- wrote:
>>
>>> I'm planning on installing front brake pads on my 92 Accord (with
>>> help from a buddy) but was told at the auto parts store that you
>>> have to know the caliper manufacturer. 92 Accords came with either
>>> Nissin or Akebono calipers. How do I know which one was on mine? I
>>> don't mind taking my wheel/tire off to check, but I'm trying to
>>> save myself that hassle.
>>> At least the local Discount Auto Parts says that the price is the
>>> same for the brake pads regardless of caliper manufacturer.



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03 Feb 2004, 12:05 pm
frater mus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 92 Accord caliper type

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 at 00:33 GMT,
<teggeratistopdotcom@changetheobvious.invalid> wrote:
> "Andy M --Tampa Bay--" <nospamandym@yahoo.com> spake unto the masses in
> news:7fhSb.62287$Bj.34330@twister.tampabay.rr.com:
>
>> I'm planning on installing front brake pads on my 92 Accord (with help
>> from a buddy) but was told at the auto parts store that you have to
>> know the caliper manufacturer. 92 Accords came with either Nissin or
>> Akebono calipers. How do I know which one was on mine? I don't mind


> Akebono calipers have a logo cast into their tops that looks a bit like
> three diamonds. Some people confuse it with the Mitsubishi logo.


I just went through this with mine (akebono type). The Diamonds were
near the bottom of the caliper, and was quite small (less than a
centimeter across).


--
L.V.X., brother mouse
http://www.mousetrap.net/otr/ Old Time Radio trades
http://makeashorterlink.com/?K16312E06 CBS Radio Mystery Theater database
http://greyhound.mousetrap.net/altus/ retired racing dog
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
caliper bushings for my 1996 Honda Accord craigsclarke@gmail.com Honda 3 7 26 May 2007 06:06 am
caliper bushing for 1996 Honda Accord craigsclarke@gmail.com Honda 2 2 08 May 2007 11:23 am
98 Accord EX Rear Caliper ? GM Honda 2 22 28 Apr 2007 03:01 pm
2001 Accord - left rear caliper sticking George Earl Honda 3 0 15 Oct 2005 04:09 pm
92 Accord caliper type Andy M --Tampa Bay-- Honda 3 5 03 Feb 2004 12:05 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.