Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 15 Dec 2003, 01:41 am
Tera Baap
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Stock v/s Sylvania HV's Headlight bulbs

Hi all!


Has anyone had a chance to compare the stock (9003) bulbs in ~98 Civics vs.
the Sylvania 9003HV or any other "upgrade" bulb?

Any preference/suggestions?

Thanks all!


TB


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 15 Dec 2003, 08:26 am
N.E.Ohio Bob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stock v/s Sylvania HV's Headlight bulbs

If you need more light then what is provided by the factory, you might
think about not driving. If it's a fashion statement, pick something
that doesn't irritate other drivers.

Tera Baap wrote:
>
> Hi all!
>
> Has anyone had a chance to compare the stock (9003) bulbs in ~98 Civics vs.
> the Sylvania 9003HV or any other "upgrade" bulb?
>
> Any preference/suggestions?
>
> Thanks all!
>
> TB

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 15 Dec 2003, 07:23 pm
Forest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stock v/s Sylvania HV's Headlight bulbs

Well said...

"N.E.Ohio Bob" <rgstroud@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
news:3FDDB9AD.26B9A00B@neo.rr.com...
> If you need more light then what is provided by the factory, you might
> think about not driving. If it's a fashion statement, pick something
> that doesn't irritate other drivers.
>
> Tera Baap wrote:
> >
> > Hi all!
> >
> > Has anyone had a chance to compare the stock (9003) bulbs in ~98 Civics

vs.
> > the Sylvania 9003HV or any other "upgrade" bulb?
> >
> > Any preference/suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks all!
> >
> > TB



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 16 Dec 2003, 01:53 am
Tera Baap
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stock v/s Sylvania HV's Headlight bulbs

"Forest" <forest@myhome.com> wrote in message
news:IfsDb.5648$0s2.3228@newsread2.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
> Well said...
>
> "N.E.Ohio Bob" <rgstroud@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:3FDDB9AD.26B9A00B@neo.rr.com...
> > If you need more light then what is provided by the factory, you might
> > think about not driving. If it's a fashion statement, pick something
> > that doesn't irritate other drivers.
> >
> > Tera Baap wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all!
> > >
> > > Has anyone had a chance to compare the stock (9003) bulbs in ~98

Civics
> vs.
> > > the Sylvania 9003HV or any other "upgrade" bulb?
> > >
> > > Any preference/suggestions?
> > >
> > > Thanks all!
> > >
> > > TB


Gentlemen,

I am searching for a civilized upgrade to my Civic's stock bulbs. I ~am~
concerned with how it would affect drivers in the oncoming traffic and am
confident that there exists a replacement that will provide better
illumination than my current bulbs AND keep the light below other drivers'
eye level. I was looking for some direction in this forum, but I am instead
being told to give up driving! A bit too harsh, wouldn't you agree?

My initial question remains unanswered--has anyone come across a (civilized)
upgrade for 9003 bulbs?

Tera BAAP


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 16 Dec 2003, 02:20 am
Randolph
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stock v/s Sylvania HV's Headlight bulbs

I have replaced the stock 9003 bulbs on my '94 Civic with Sylvania
9003XV and did see some improvement. Halogen bulbs get dimmer with age,
so I do not know how much of the improvement was due to the old age of
the stock bulbs and how much was due to the 9003XV being better than
standard 9003.

I later added Xenarc 1010 auxiliary HID low beams to the car and that
was a dramatic improvement. These are true HID lights and they are DOT
compliant. Aimed correctly they are quite civilized.

One alternative to 9003 bulbs are the Osram Silverstar H4 bulbs. These
are not the same bulbs as the Sylvania Silverstars. The Osram H4 ST is
50% brighter than standard H4 bulbs but are still 60W/55W bulbs. H4 is
the European equivalent to the 9003 bulb and is not tested for DOT
compliance. Check http://www.suvlights.com/ for more info.

> I am searching for a civilized upgrade to my Civic's stock bulbs. I ~am~
> concerned with how it would affect drivers in the oncoming traffic and am
> confident that there exists a replacement that will provide better
> illumination than my current bulbs AND keep the light below other drivers'
> eye level. I was looking for some direction in this forum, but I am instead
> being told to give up driving! A bit too harsh, wouldn't you agree?
>
> My initial question remains unanswered--has anyone come across a (civilized)
> upgrade for 9003 bulbs?
>
> Tera BAAP

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 16 Dec 2003, 09:11 am
Forest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stock v/s Sylvania HV's Headlight bulbs

I was looking for some direction in this forum, but I am instead
> being told to give up driving! A bit too harsh, wouldn't you agree?


Yes, consider posting this question at: rec.autos.driving and ping Daniel
Stern ( http://lighting.mbz.org/ ) with your query. Be teachable...


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 16 Dec 2003, 12:25 pm
Bill B. Johnson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stock v/s Sylvania HV's Headlight bulbs

In article <8_xDb.202395$655.36253165@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net >, "Tera
Baap" <Tera@Kiska.Baap.com> wrote:

> "Forest" <forest@myhome.com> wrote in message
> news:IfsDb.5648$0s2.3228@newsread2.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
> > Well said...
> >
> > "N.E.Ohio Bob" <rgstroud@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
> > news:3FDDB9AD.26B9A00B@neo.rr.com...
> > > If you need more light then what is provided by the factory, you might
> > > think about not driving. If it's a fashion statement, pick something
> > > that doesn't irritate other drivers.
> > >
> > > Tera Baap wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Hi all!
> > > >
> > > > Has anyone had a chance to compare the stock (9003) bulbs in ~98

> Civics
> > vs.
> > > > the Sylvania 9003HV or any other "upgrade" bulb?
> > > >
> > > > Any preference/suggestions?
> > > >
> > > > Thanks all!
> > > >
> > > > TB

>
> Gentlemen,
>
> I am searching for a civilized upgrade to my Civic's stock bulbs. I ~am~
> concerned with how it would affect drivers in the oncoming traffic and am
> confident that there exists a replacement that will provide better
> illumination than my current bulbs AND keep the light below other drivers'
> eye level. I was looking for some direction in this forum, but I am instead
> being told to give up driving! A bit too harsh, wouldn't you agree?
>
> My initial question remains unanswered--has anyone come across a (civilized)
> upgrade for 9003 bulbs?
>
> Tera BAAP


Don't worry about people that post responses that hurt your feelings. Just
remember that most people are nice and you should ignor those that love to
hurt your feelings and feelings of other people. I recently suggested to
several people that has serious problems with their Honda vehicles to take
their vehicles to professional mechanics since it was obvious from their
posts that they had never before ever done any mechanical work on any car.
Some stupid person posted that I should have told those people how to fix
their cars instead of suggesting the hiring of professional mechanics to
fix their cars. He was the only person that complained and I believe
everyone else realized that my advice was great. I paid more attention to
the intelligent people than stupid people llike the person that told you
to stop driving.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 16 Dec 2003, 02:16 pm
Crikey Schmikey
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stock v/s Sylvania HV's Headlight bulbs

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 06:53:56 GMT, "Tera Baap" <Tera@Kiska.Baap.com>
wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>
>I am searching for a civilized upgrade to my Civic's stock bulbs. I ~am~
>concerned with how it would affect drivers in the oncoming traffic and am
>confident that there exists a replacement that will provide better
>illumination than my current bulbs AND keep the light below other drivers'
>eye level. I was looking for some direction in this forum, but I am instead
>being told to give up driving! A bit too harsh, wouldn't you agree?
>
>My initial question remains unanswered--has anyone come across a (civilized)
>upgrade for 9003 bulbs?
>
>Tera BAAP


Well said and kudos to you for taking the highroad. Don't let those
two losers bother you. They obviously have some issues they need to
work out and are taking it out in here. tsk, tsk... They're called
TROLLS and they're the lowest form of life in the newsgroup
communities. Just ignore them.

The others though have already posted good replies, so it still was
worth it for you to post in here.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 17 Dec 2003, 12:27 am
Tera Baap
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stock v/s Sylvania HV's Headlight bulbs

"Crikey Schmikey" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
news:udmutvo36budldkl3c7nv6c3d5aohikas8@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 06:53:56 GMT, "Tera Baap" <Tera@Kiska.Baap.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Gentlemen,
> >
> >I am searching for a civilized upgrade to my Civic's stock bulbs. I ~am~
> >concerned with how it would affect drivers in the oncoming traffic and am
> >confident that there exists a replacement that will provide better
> >illumination than my current bulbs AND keep the light below other

drivers'
> >eye level. I was looking for some direction in this forum, but I am

instead
> >being told to give up driving! A bit too harsh, wouldn't you agree?
> >
> >My initial question remains unanswered--has anyone come across a

(civilized)
> >upgrade for 9003 bulbs?
> >
> >Tera BAAP

>
> Well said and kudos to you for taking the highroad. Don't let those
> two losers bother you. They obviously have some issues they need to
> work out and are taking it out in here. tsk, tsk... They're called
> TROLLS and they're the lowest form of life in the newsgroup
> communities. Just ignore them.
>
> The others though have already posted good replies, so it still was
> worth it for you to post in here.


Thank you all, for your input.

Cheers!


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 17 Dec 2003, 01:56 am
Charlie S
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stock v/s Sylvania HV's Headlight bulbs

I also am intersted in upgrading my headlights on my '01 Accord. I
have had night vision problems for years and have, in the past,
upgraded my sealed beam headlights to bulb type "Z" beams.

The lights that blind me as I drive are not on Hondas, they are on
full size pickups and full size SUVs.




On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 19:16:28 GMT, Crikey Schmikey <no@spam.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 06:53:56 GMT, "Tera Baap" <Tera@Kiska.Baap.com>
>wrote:
>
>> Gentlemen,
>>
>>I am searching for a civilized upgrade to my Civic's stock bulbs. I ~am~
>>concerned with how it would affect drivers in the oncoming traffic and am
>>confident that there exists a replacement that will provide better
>>illumination than my current bulbs AND keep the light below other drivers'
>>eye level. I was looking for some direction in this forum, but I am instead
>>being told to give up driving! A bit too harsh, wouldn't you agree?
>>
>>My initial question remains unanswered--has anyone come across a (civilized)
>>upgrade for 9003 bulbs?
>>
>>Tera BAAP

>
>Well said and kudos to you for taking the highroad. Don't let those
>two losers bother you. They obviously have some issues they need to
>work out and are taking it out in here. tsk, tsk... They're called
>TROLLS and they're the lowest form of life in the newsgroup
>communities. Just ignore them.
>
>The others though have already posted good replies, so it still was
>worth it for you to post in here.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sylvania Silver Star bulbs merlotbrougham@hotmail.com Honda 3 5 13 Mar 2007 09:51 pm
Help : Replacing headlight bulbs in 98 Civic Yuyu Honda 3 2 15 Jan 2006 12:07 am
Help : Trying to replace headlight bulbs in 98 Civic Yuyu Honda 2 1 14 Jan 2006 09:27 pm
Sylvania Silverstar low beams last 3 months George Earl Honda 3 4 18 Apr 2004 10:39 am
"Silverstar" Headlight Replacement Bulbs For Accords: Worth Doing ? Robert11 Honda 2 14 10 Jan 2004 10:22 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.