Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09 Nov 2003, 10:55 pm
Damien Cymbal
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Check Engine Light: Flashing vs. On Solid

I have a 98 Accord that has been running poorly. The check engine light
finally started coming on intermittently starting this week. I've
scheduled an appt with the dealer for later this week, but today the check
engine started to show blinking rather than just being on solid as had been
normal to this point.

Does this imply anything more than when it is just on solid (like you
really, really shouldn't be driving me right now....)?

Thanks.

dc
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10 Nov 2003, 08:52 pm
Bill B. Johnson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Check Engine Light: Flashing vs. On Solid

In article <P_Drb.117239$ao4.360462@attbi_s51>, Damien Cymbal
<d_cymbal@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have a 98 Accord that has been running poorly. The check engine light
> finally started coming on intermittently starting this week. I've
> scheduled an appt with the dealer for later this week, but today the check
> engine started to show blinking rather than just being on solid as had been
> normal to this point.
>
> Does this imply anything more than when it is just on solid (like you
> really, really shouldn't be driving me right now....)?
>
> Thanks.
>
> dc


Take it to the dealer and have them check it out.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10 Nov 2003, 09:57 pm
Chip Stein
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Check Engine Light: Flashing vs. On Solid

Damien Cymbal <d_cymbal@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<P_Drb.117239$ao4.360462@attbi_s51>...
> I have a 98 Accord that has been running poorly. The check engine light
> finally started coming on intermittently starting this week. I've
> scheduled an appt with the dealer for later this week, but today the check
> engine started to show blinking rather than just being on solid as had been
> normal to this point.
>
> Does this imply anything more than when it is just on solid (like you
> really, really shouldn't be driving me right now....)?
>
> Thanks.
>
> dc


if it's blinking you have a catalyst damaging mis-fire. depending on
how long you drive it that way you might be looking at a 800.00
catalytic converter on top of what caused it in the first place.
Chip
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11 Nov 2003, 05:45 am
razingkane
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Check Engine Light: Flashing vs. On Solid


There's an 8 year 80,000 mile warranty on the catalytic convertor. I'm sure
there are others who participate in his newsgroup who can add substance to
the warranty. Keeping that in mind here's my check engine light story.

My 1999 Accord EX check engine light came on 3 different times but never
flashed. The 1st time the check engine light came on I drove to my personal
Honda mechanic. They ran the code and said I needed to take the car to the
Honda dealer as the code is pointing towards a problem with the catalytic
convertor i.e. warranty work on the CAT. My Honda mechanic reset the check
engine light but they said they left the code so the Honda dealer could dump
the code themselves. The 2nd time the check engine light came on was the
day before my Honda dealer appointment. Sometime during the day the check
engine light turned itself off. The next day the Honda dealer did their
thing with the check engine light. Now seeing how this check engine light
has had a mind of it's own it only stands to reason that the Honda dealer
came up empty i.e. no code. Now I had the paperwork from my personal Honda
mechanic from 2 days prior with the check engine light code pointing towards
the catalytic convertor problem but the Honda dealer ignored it and sent me
packing.

Well months went by as did a couple thousand miles. All of a sudden the
check engine light comes back on....and I was in the middle of nowhere;
Grants, New Mexico. I called the Honda dealer in Scottsdale AZ. They said
it would be OK for me to continue my road trip to Southern California. I
took my car to Cush Honda in Escondido California. They dumped the code
from the check engine light which said replace the catalytic convertor.
Which they did under warranty (FREE). My mileage was around 72,000 miles.
While this was all a complete pain in the ass and went on for quite sometime
the upside is having a new catalytic convertor and I think they also
replaced the O2 sensor(s) as well. I also saw a very nice increase in gas
mileage as well.

Good Luck with yours,

Rick


"Chip Stein" <chip@chipanddebby.com> wrote in message
news:5ddcea74.0311101857.5a76d29a@posting.google.c om...
> Damien Cymbal <d_cymbal@hotmail.com> wrote in message

news:<P_Drb.117239$ao4.360462@attbi_s51>...
> > I have a 98 Accord that has been running poorly. The check engine light
> > finally started coming on intermittently starting this week. I've
> > scheduled an appt with the dealer for later this week, but today the

check
> > engine started to show blinking rather than just being on solid as had

been
> > normal to this point.
> >
> > Does this imply anything more than when it is just on solid (like you
> > really, really shouldn't be driving me right now....)?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > dc

>
> if it's blinking you have a catalyst damaging mis-fire. depending on
> how long you drive it that way you might be looking at a 800.00
> catalytic converter on top of what caused it in the first place.
> Chip



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11 Nov 2003, 07:51 am
Damien Cymbal
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Check Engine Light: Flashing vs. On Solid

chip@chipanddebby.com (Chip Stein) wrote in
news:5ddcea74.0311101857.5a76d29a@posting.google.c om:

> if it's blinking you have a catalyst damaging mis-fire. depending on
> how long you drive it that way you might be looking at a 800.00
> catalytic converter on top of what caused it in the first place.
> Chip


Indeed, my dealer just called and said the diag code was a misfiring of the
#1 cylinder. No word yet on needing to replace the cat, but they still
have the car and are looking at it......

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11 Nov 2003, 12:27 pm
Bill B. Johnson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Check Engine Light: Flashing vs. On Solid

In article <H53sb.22370$KN4.1464108@news1.news.adelphia.net >, "razingkane"
<razingkaneDELETEME@adelphia.net> wrote:

> There's an 8 year 80,000 mile warranty on the catalytic convertor. I'm sure
> there are others who participate in his newsgroup who can add substance to
> the warranty. Keeping that in mind here's my check engine light story.
>
> My 1999 Accord EX check engine light came on 3 different times but never
> flashed. The 1st time the check engine light came on I drove to my personal
> Honda mechanic. They ran the code and said I needed to take the car to the
> Honda dealer as the code is pointing towards a problem with the catalytic
> convertor i.e. warranty work on the CAT. My Honda mechanic reset the check
> engine light but they said they left the code so the Honda dealer could dump
> the code themselves. The 2nd time the check engine light came on was the
> day before my Honda dealer appointment. Sometime during the day the check
> engine light turned itself off. The next day the Honda dealer did their
> thing with the check engine light. Now seeing how this check engine light
> has had a mind of it's own it only stands to reason that the Honda dealer
> came up empty i.e. no code. Now I had the paperwork from my personal Honda
> mechanic from 2 days prior with the check engine light code pointing towards
> the catalytic convertor problem but the Honda dealer ignored it and sent me
> packing.
>
> Well months went by as did a couple thousand miles. All of a sudden the
> check engine light comes back on....and I was in the middle of nowhere;
> Grants, New Mexico. I called the Honda dealer in Scottsdale AZ. They said
> it would be OK for me to continue my road trip to Southern California. I
> took my car to Cush Honda in Escondido California. They dumped the code
> from the check engine light which said replace the catalytic convertor.
> Which they did under warranty (FREE). My mileage was around 72,000 miles.
> While this was all a complete pain in the ass and went on for quite sometime
> the upside is having a new catalytic convertor and I think they also
> replaced the O2 sensor(s) as well. I also saw a very nice increase in gas
> mileage as well.
>
> Good Luck with yours,
>
> Rick


Thanks for an interesting story with a happy ending.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
99 accord check engine light flashing. what's wrong? sam Honda 3 7 17 Feb 2005 06:30 pm
99 accord check engine light flashing. what's wrong? sam Honda 2 5 17 Feb 2005 06:30 pm
2001 Accord, check engine light flashing, car jerking Karen Honda 3 5 12 Sep 2004 05:37 am
97' Honda Passport w/ check trans and check engine light on Nutt Honda 2 2 13 May 2004 08:53 pm
Check Engine Light: Flashing vs. On Solid Damien Cymbal Honda 3 5 11 Nov 2003 12:27 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.