Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01 Oct 2003, 01:00 pm
Paul Bucens
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default trying to find engine diag software

Hi, wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of a setup I need to have to
diagnose engine trouble codes by hooking up to the computer. I have an older
laptop I'd want to hook up to a '91 Honda Accord and be able to read stored
trouble codes and do a full diag. Anyone have any ideas on the kind of setup
I can put on the laptop? What kind of cables would I need?



Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01 Oct 2003, 08:11 pm
Jafir Elkurd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: trying to find engine diag software

The 91 accord has self diagnosis, the only thing you need is a paper clip.

"Paul Bucens" <no_soam@linux.ca> wrote in message
news:PCEeb.7836$ab5.378869@news20.bellglobal.com.. .
> Hi, wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of a setup I need to have to
> diagnose engine trouble codes by hooking up to the computer. I have an

older
> laptop I'd want to hook up to a '91 Honda Accord and be able to read

stored
> trouble codes and do a full diag. Anyone have any ideas on the kind of

setup
> I can put on the laptop? What kind of cables would I need?
>
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02 Oct 2003, 10:57 am
w_tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: trying to find engine diag software

Accountants must be designing the new Accords. Those self
diagnostics have been removed. Now a computer connection is
required. Just another reason why I better liked last decad's
Honda designs. Those who design the current Hondas don't seem
to have real world experience - such as not providing flash
codes for error diagnosis.

Jafir Elkurd wrote:
> The 91 accord has self diagnosis, the only thing you need is a
> paper clip.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02 Oct 2003, 11:26 am
Steve Beaman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: trying to find engine diag software

The Accountants nor Honda have anything to do with the change in the
way the codes are read. This is the goverment at work. All cars
manufactured after 1993 have to be OBD1 compliant and 1998 OBD2
compliant. This means that all cars can be tested by a standard OBD
tester. These are available at any parts house or tool truck.


On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:57:30 -0400, w_tom <w_tom1@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Accountants must be designing the new Accords. Those self
>diagnostics have been removed. Now a computer connection is
>required. Just another reason why I better liked last decad's
>Honda designs. Those who design the current Hondas don't seem
>to have real world experience - such as not providing flash
>codes for error diagnosis.
>
>Jafir Elkurd wrote:
>> The 91 accord has self diagnosis, the only thing you need is a
>> paper clip.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02 Oct 2003, 02:46 pm
Scott MacLean
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: trying to find engine diag software

Right here: http://www.obd2.com/personal/personal_scantool.htm

"Paul Bucens" <no_soam@linux.ca> wrote in message
news:PCEeb.7836$ab5.378869@news20.bellglobal.com.. .
> Hi, wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of a setup I need to have to
> diagnose engine trouble codes by hooking up to the computer. I have an

older
> laptop I'd want to hook up to a '91 Honda Accord and be able to read

stored
> trouble codes and do a full diag. Anyone have any ideas on the kind of

setup
> I can put on the laptop? What kind of cables would I need?
>
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02 Oct 2003, 02:59 pm
Bill B. Johnson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: trying to find engine diag software

In article <PCEeb.7836$ab5.378869@news20.bellglobal.com>, "Paul Bucens"
<no_soam@linux.ca> wrote:

> Hi, wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of a setup I need to have to
> diagnose engine trouble codes by hooking up to the computer. I have an older
> laptop I'd want to hook up to a '91 Honda Accord and be able to read stored
> trouble codes and do a full diag. Anyone have any ideas on the kind of setup
> I can put on the laptop? What kind of cables would I need?


Go to almost any auto parts store such as Kragens or NAPA.
Ask them to show you what they have in stock. Make sure it says on it that
it will work in a 91 Honda Accord.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02 Oct 2003, 06:11 pm
Jafir Elkurd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: trying to find engine diag software

That's actually 1996 for most cars on the OBD-II compliance (in North
America). The first Honda with OBD-II is the 1995 Accord V6. (on the 95-97
Hondas with OBD-II you can still flash codes the same as the 94-95, but
Honda doesn't make any statement about them being the same..)


"Steve Beaman" <bambamsupergas@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:m5konv84510376jp4nv0o9k347lg2qf87p@4ax.com...
> The Accountants nor Honda have anything to do with the change in the
> way the codes are read. This is the goverment at work. All cars
> manufactured after 1993 have to be OBD1 compliant and 1998 OBD2
> compliant. This means that all cars can be tested by a standard OBD
> tester. These are available at any parts house or tool truck.
>
>
> On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:57:30 -0400, w_tom <w_tom1@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Accountants must be designing the new Accords. Those self
> >diagnostics have been removed. Now a computer connection is
> >required. Just another reason why I better liked last decad's
> >Honda designs. Those who design the current Hondas don't seem
> >to have real world experience - such as not providing flash
> >codes for error diagnosis.
> >
> >Jafir Elkurd wrote:
> >> The 91 accord has self diagnosis, the only thing you need is a
> >> paper clip.

>



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02 Oct 2003, 06:28 pm
w_tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: trying to find engine diag software

Nothing about OBD mandates that flash codes must be
eliminated. OBD just means the computer must output error
codes also to another port. No reason for error codes not to
be flashed out. Honda once made sure that all doors had side
guard protection - another thing lost as accountant mentality
begins to sneak into Honda designs. Once it was Honda - We
make it simple. Now the simple part - flash codes - has been
eliminated.

Steve Beaman wrote:
>
> The Accountants nor Honda have anything to do with the change in the
> way the codes are read. This is the goverment at work. All cars
> manufactured after 1993 have to be OBD1 compliant and 1998 OBD2
> compliant. This means that all cars can be tested by a standard OBD
> tester. These are available at any parts house or tool truck.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1997 accord diag conector tonysjeeps Honda 2 1 18 Sep 2005 08:09 am
Engine Software jean Honda 2 12 02 Jul 2005 07:08 pm
civic si 2001 engine software jean Honda 2 0 26 Jun 2005 09:47 pm
Re: Where can I find a jdm engine? Jafir Elkurd Honda 3 1 31 Mar 2004 08:18 pm
Computer Diag Code Question Scott Wallace Honda 2 2 05 Jan 2004 07:30 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.