Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 27 Sep 2003, 02:00 pm
Andrew
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default New 03 Civic gearbox "thump"

Just took out a new 03 Civic 5-speed and noticed a small drive line
thumping sound/feel. Coasting along, clutch in, engine at idle speed -
selecting gears 2-5 (with the clutch staying in - just playing with the
nice shifter!)I noticed a small thud sound and feeling when putting it
in gear.

It's best felt when coasting with the clutch in at a slow traffic speed
and going between 2nd and 3rd and back, all the time with the clutch in...

It was a bit worse on a used 02 with 10,000 km on it that we tested.

Is this just how that box is supposed to work? I don't think I could
stand it... almost like a motorcycle sequential shifter when you drop
it into gear..

Anyone else notice this? Am I going crazy or did we just happen to
drive 2 similarly afflicted units at two different dealers?

a

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 28 Sep 2003, 10:00 am
'Curly Q. Links'
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New 03 Civic gearbox "thump"

Andrew wrote:
>
> Just took out a new 03 Civic 5-speed and noticed a small drive line
> thumping sound/feel. Coasting along, clutch in, engine at idle speed -
> selecting gears 2-5 (with the clutch staying in - just playing with the
> nice shifter!)I noticed a small thud sound and feeling when putting it
> in gear.
>
> It's best felt when coasting with the clutch in at a slow traffic speed
> and going between 2nd and 3rd and back, all the time with the clutch in...
>
> It was a bit worse on a used 02 with 10,000 km on it that we tested.
>
> Is this just how that box is supposed to work? I don't think I could
> stand it... almost like a motorcycle sequential shifter when you drop
> it into gear..
>
> Anyone else notice this? Am I going crazy or did we just happen to
> drive 2 similarly afflicted units at two different dealers?
>
> a

--------------------------------
Andrew,

That's just the synchro cones grabbing and spinning the tranny and
clutch plate up to the same speed as the rear wheels. Generally they'd
be going about the right speed when you shift during acceleration, and
the engine noise would prevent you hearing it. Honda didn't feel they
had to 'mask' that noise because what you're describing is never noticed
/ heard / felt in daily usage.

'Curly'

----------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 28 Sep 2003, 11:41 am
Andrew
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New 03 Civic gearbox "thump"

> Andrew wrote:
>
>>
>> Just took out a new 03 Civic 5-speed and noticed a small drive line
>> thumping sound/feel. Coasting along, clutch in, engine at idle speed -
>> selecting gears 2-5 (with the clutch staying in - just playing with the
>> nice shifter!)I noticed a small thud sound and feeling when putting it
>> in gear.
>>
>> It's best felt when coasting with the clutch in at a slow traffic speed
>> and going between 2nd and 3rd and back, all the time with the clutch in...
>>
>> It was a bit worse on a used 02 with 10,000 km on it that we tested.
>>
>> Is this just how that box is supposed to work? I don't think I could
>> stand it... almost like a motorcycle sequential shifter when you drop
>> it into gear..
>>
>> Anyone else notice this? Am I going crazy or did we just happen to
>> drive 2 similarly afflicted units at two different dealers?
>>
>> a

>
> --------------------------------
> Andrew,
>
> That's just the synchro cones grabbing and spinning the tranny and
> clutch plate up to the same speed as the rear wheels. Generally they'd
> be going about the right speed when you shift during acceleration, and
> the engine noise would prevent you hearing it. Honda didn't feel they
> had to 'mask' that noise because what you're describing is never noticed
> / heard / felt in daily usage.
>
> 'Curly'
>
> ----------------------------



Curly,

Thanks for the response! I agree that that's probably the sound, but it
does happen in daily driving - gearing down. Common in town from 3 ->
2. Mind you, it's more noticeable doing what I describe above, but I
first noticed it during normal driving. It's not just a noise either,
but a 'bump' too. I feel it in the seat. The whole point of the
synchros is to smooth the process if you will. If there's a bump,
what's the point? It doesn't happen in any other 5 speed we've tested.
Mind you - the civic is the most refined car we've tested in its price
range! I just have to decide if it's annoying enough to be a deal
breaker (probably not)...

Cheers!

Andrew


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 28 Sep 2003, 11:50 am
Andrew
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New 03 Civic gearbox "thump"



'Curly Q. Links' wrote:

> Andrew wrote:
>
>>Just took out a new 03 Civic 5-speed and noticed a small drive line
>>thumping sound/feel. Coasting along, clutch in, engine at idle speed -
>>selecting gears 2-5 (with the clutch staying in - just playing with the
>>nice shifter!)I noticed a small thud sound and feeling when putting it
>>in gear.
>>
>>It's best felt when coasting with the clutch in at a slow traffic speed
>>and going between 2nd and 3rd and back, all the time with the clutch in...
>>
>>It was a bit worse on a used 02 with 10,000 km on it that we tested.
>>
>>Is this just how that box is supposed to work? I don't think I could
>>stand it... almost like a motorcycle sequential shifter when you drop
>>it into gear..
>>
>>Anyone else notice this? Am I going crazy or did we just happen to
>>drive 2 similarly afflicted units at two different dealers?
>>
>>a

>
> --------------------------------
> Andrew,
>
> That's just the synchro cones grabbing and spinning the tranny and
> clutch plate up to the same speed as the rear wheels. Generally they'd
> be going about the right speed when you shift during acceleration, and
> the engine noise would prevent you hearing it. Honda didn't feel they
> had to 'mask' that noise because what you're describing is never noticed
> / heard / felt in daily usage.
>
> 'Curly'
>
> ----------------------------



Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the synchros only come into play as
the clutch is let out and the car is in gear? This thud occurs when the
clutch is fully depressed or disengaged and one flips through the gears.
Sort of like the clutch is 2% engaged even when fully on the floor.
It's my understanding that the synchros aren't doing anything at that
point. Think of how quickly you can stir through the 2-3-4-5-4-3-2
series with the clutch in - the synchros are matching wheel/flywheel
speed all through that? It's unnecessary.

a

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 28 Sep 2003, 12:00 pm
Stephen Bigelow
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New 03 Civic gearbox "thump"


"Andrew" <a@a.ca> wrote in message
news:sjEdb.82303$PD3.4805014@nnrp1.uunet.ca...
>
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the synchros only come into play as
> the clutch is let out and the car is in gear?


No.

This thud occurs when the
> clutch is fully depressed or disengaged and one flips through the gears.


Gear flipping is when the syncros do their stuff.


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 28 Sep 2003, 12:06 pm
Andrew
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New 03 Civic gearbox "thump"



Stephen Bigelow wrote:

> "Andrew" <a@a.ca> wrote in message
> news:sjEdb.82303$PD3.4805014@nnrp1.uunet.ca...
>
>>
>>Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the synchros only come into play as
>>the clutch is let out and the car is in gear?

>
>
> No.
>
> This thud occurs when the
>
>>clutch is fully depressed or disengaged and one flips through the gears.

>
>
> Gear flipping is when the syncros do their stuff.
>
>


K - Thanks!

a

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08 Oct 2003, 03:22 pm
Andrew
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New 03 Civic gearbox "thump"



Andrew wrote:

> Just took out a new 03 Civic 5-speed and noticed a small drive line
> thumping sound/feel. Coasting along, clutch in, engine at idle speed -
> selecting gears 2-5 (with the clutch staying in - just playing with the
> nice shifter!)I noticed a small thud sound and feeling when putting it
> in gear.
>
> It's best felt when coasting with the clutch in at a slow traffic speed
> and going between 2nd and 3rd and back, all the time with the clutch in...
>
> It was a bit worse on a used 02 with 10,000 km on it that we tested.
>
> Is this just how that box is supposed to work? I don't think I could
> stand it... almost like a motorcycle sequential shifter when you drop
> it into gear..
>
> Anyone else notice this? Am I going crazy or did we just happen to
> drive 2 similarly afflicted units at two different dealers?
>
> a
>


As a self follow-up to this thread, the 03 and 04 Accords do it too...

Wouldn't stop me from buying one, mind you, but annoying.

a

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
">"">>>><meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="0;url=http://www.YapaYHaCK.OrG/Hacked.htm SaNaLKorSaN Acura 0 17 Nov 2006 06:28 am
Re: Honda Passport - "Power" and "Winter" drive switches lloydt79 Honda 2 1 06 Feb 2006 08:57 pm
92' Accord 5spd has "knocking"-"cluncking" sound on drivers sidewhen starting out FWD and BKWD phil Honda 2 1 12 Feb 2005 10:29 am
1997 Honda CRV- make "U" turn which cause "woooh" sound peter896 Honda 2 1 22 Aug 2004 02:13 pm
HELP: Civic "thump-thump-thump" from left rear J.W. Honda 2 8 05 Aug 2003 10:12 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.