Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 22 Sep 2003, 08:32 pm
slayerboy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Need advice re: best vehicle for upstate NY winters

Ok, I need help on this one.

First, I currently own a 99 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Stepside with 2WD
and manual tranny. I just purchased it last year and really like it.
HOWEVER, the winter we had last year was horrid, and it's expected to
be even worse this year. I really didn't have any problems once i put
tons of sandbags in the bed unless the road wasn't plowed yet and all
I would do is just touch the accelorator and just about do a 360 spin.

I don't really have a problem with driving it this winter, however I
might be getting a promotion at work that would have me travelling a
LOT. Close to 1000 miles a week.... In the winter, this could get
ugly in a 2WD truck, especially in the rural areas where it's not
plowed the best.

I am looking at getting a 4WD SUV. Possiblly looking at the Honda CRV
with automatic tranny and ABS. I will NEVER drive another car after I
have been driving my Ranger. I love being up high and I don't feel
bad going over speed bumps that would wreck the underside of a car.
But the Ranger is giving me almost 24 mpg highway. I know the CRV has
almost the same fuel mileage.

Any suggestions? Oh BTW, I need to keep the cost down. I.E. I know
the H2 would be the best in snowy conditions, but I don't exactly have
$50,000 sitting around, ya know?

Thanks!
slayerboy
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 22 Sep 2003, 08:52 pm
DaveT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need advice re: best vehicle for upstate NY winters

I have a 2001 CRV....it's great! I'd highly recommend it.
it's high enough that you can get around curbs, snow, park lots, etc.
Yet, it's got a nice ride....not hard like a big truck.
very practical




Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 22 Sep 2003, 09:10 pm
Philip
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need advice re: best vehicle for upstate NY winters


"DaveT" <bgates@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:%HNbb.318$UP5.444928463@newssvr11.news.prodig y.com...
> I have a 2001 CRV....it's great! I'd highly recommend it.
> it's high enough that you can get around curbs, snow, park lots,

etc.
> Yet, it's got a nice ride....not hard like a big truck.
> very practical
>


So are some fancy schmancy golf carts.
--

~~Philip

"Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 23 Sep 2003, 01:34 am
'Curly Q. Links'
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need advice re: best vehicle for upstate NY winters

slayerboy wrote:
> Any suggestions? Oh BTW, I need to keep the cost down. I.E. I know
> the H2 would be the best in snowy conditions, but I don't exactly have
> $50,000 sitting around, ya know?
>
> Thanks!
> slayerboy

-------------------

If cost is really important, buy a used CRV, like maybe the '97. A bit
underpowered, but ours had about 190,000km on it when we got it, and
you'd have thought it just rolled out of the showroom. Tight,
responsive, safe. And in snow and on ice: unstoppable FUN FUN FUN!

'Curly'
-------------------
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 23 Sep 2003, 08:59 am
Mike Romain
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need advice re: best vehicle for upstate NY winters

I am up in Canada and for the last few years was getting off work at 4
AM before the plows were out with a 20 mile uphill drive home.

I own 2 Jeeps.

Maybe check out the Cherokee line, they are comfortable, roomy, have
lots of power and have an excellently behaved 4x4 system and still get
24+ US mpg.

My CJ7 isn't any slouch either, it runs better in snow, but is smaller
and only gets about 19 US mpg.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

slayerboy wrote:
>
> Ok, I need help on this one.
>
> First, I currently own a 99 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Stepside with 2WD
> and manual tranny. I just purchased it last year and really like it.
> HOWEVER, the winter we had last year was horrid, and it's expected to
> be even worse this year. I really didn't have any problems once i put
> tons of sandbags in the bed unless the road wasn't plowed yet and all
> I would do is just touch the accelorator and just about do a 360 spin.
>
> I don't really have a problem with driving it this winter, however I
> might be getting a promotion at work that would have me travelling a
> LOT. Close to 1000 miles a week.... In the winter, this could get
> ugly in a 2WD truck, especially in the rural areas where it's not
> plowed the best.
>
> I am looking at getting a 4WD SUV. Possiblly looking at the Honda CRV
> with automatic tranny and ABS. I will NEVER drive another car after I
> have been driving my Ranger. I love being up high and I don't feel
> bad going over speed bumps that would wreck the underside of a car.
> But the Ranger is giving me almost 24 mpg highway. I know the CRV has
> almost the same fuel mileage.
>
> Any suggestions? Oh BTW, I need to keep the cost down. I.E. I know
> the H2 would be the best in snowy conditions, but I don't exactly have
> $50,000 sitting around, ya know?
>
> Thanks!
> slayerboy

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 23 Sep 2003, 05:02 pm
MudPuppy1976
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need advice re: best vehicle for upstate NY winters

i currently drive a 93 wrangler with studded Wild Country tires in the
winter, you remember that 24" of snow we got on christmas day last year?
unstoppable! suggest finding wrangler or cherokee in the 2.5L 5spd
variety, if you are worried about mileage.

before this, i drove an '88 s10 blazer 4.3L 4x4 with slightly oversized
cooper discoverers, and that was pretty much a beast in the snow too.
--
Ben Jerew
ASE Master Technician
New Country Lexus of Latham, NY
Amateur Off-Roader

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 23 Sep 2003, 05:12 pm
Pete
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need advice re: best vehicle for upstate NY winters


"slayerboy" <notnobody@notno.how> wrote in message
news:h58vmvo38070k2vujt833bkruibvs6n10j@4ax.com...
> Any suggestions? Oh BTW, I need to keep the cost down. I.E. I know
> the H2 would be the best in snowy conditions, but I don't exactly have
> $50,000 sitting around, ya know?


How about $35,000 then? This will get you a VW Touareg with permanent AWD.
;-)

Regardless what you get, be sure to equip it with proper winter tires - it's
more important than having all-wheel-drive.

And I'm not even going to go into the whole SUV craze. ;-)

Cheers,

Pete



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 23 Sep 2003, 05:34 pm
Mike Romain
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need advice re: best vehicle for upstate NY winters

Just a heads up, the 4 banger and 4.0, 6 get almost the same mileage in
the Jeep Cherokee or the Wrangler.

The 4 banger is just cheaper to buy and lighter for off road. It works
almost as well as the 6 off road and in town because it uses low gears,
but lacks highway power and the low gears make up for the lower rpm in
the six for mileage.

If you have highway commuting to do, you want the 4.0 Liter straight 6
motor. It is a powerhouse for torque.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

"MudPuppy1976 <\"moc.rr.pacyn\"@67lamina" wrote:
>
> i currently drive a 93 wrangler with studded Wild Country tires in the
> winter, you remember that 24" of snow we got on christmas day last year?
> unstoppable! suggest finding wrangler or cherokee in the 2.5L 5spd
> variety, if you are worried about mileage.
>
> before this, i drove an '88 s10 blazer 4.3L 4x4 with slightly oversized
> cooper discoverers, and that was pretty much a beast in the snow too.
> --
> Ben Jerew
> ASE Master Technician
> New Country Lexus of Latham, NY
> Amateur Off-Roader

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 23 Sep 2003, 09:18 pm
MudPuppy1976
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need advice re: best vehicle for upstate NY winters

actually, i was thinking about mine after that post, i have one of those
wierd ones with the 4.0 and a 3spd automatic. i was told they didn't
make many like that. my mileage sucks (10/13), but i have great torque
for offroading
--
Ben Jerew
ASE Master Technician
New Country Lexus of Latham, NY
Amateur Off-Roader

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 24 Sep 2003, 03:36 am
Jiz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Need advice re: best vehicle for upstate NY winters

I agree about right tires. I had a rear wheel drive RX 7 with 15'' alloy
rims with unstudded dedicated winter tires (can't remember brand - 10 years
ago) but the car was completely different that winter. I travelled Colorado,
British Columbia, Ontario, etc for about 100,000 kms - my only problem was
visibility in heavy snow. Never got stuck anywhere.

Though an AWD and ABS would have been brilliant.

Used to deliver pizza's in 1995 in Lake Louise Alberta - we had a Toyota SR5
4wd - early November had a snow storm, my problem was when I got speed up to
about 50 kms/hour snow would 'scoop up' over car and blind me. Had to keep
stopping and starting Best fun ever.Think the tires were dedicated winter
as car was only used for winter. We had a little sporty truck for summer
(better mileage) boss was a real tight ass.



"Pete" <escape2music@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:bkqghr$b43$1@news.onet.pl...
>
> "slayerboy" <notnobody@notno.how> wrote in message
> news:h58vmvo38070k2vujt833bkruibvs6n10j@4ax.com...
> > Any suggestions? Oh BTW, I need to keep the cost down. I.E. I know
> > the H2 would be the best in snowy conditions, but I don't exactly have
> > $50,000 sitting around, ya know?

>
> How about $35,000 then? This will get you a VW Touareg with permanent

AWD.
> ;-)
>
> Regardless what you get, be sure to equip it with proper winter tires -

it's
> more important than having all-wheel-drive.
>
> And I'm not even going to go into the whole SUV craze. ;-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete
>
>
>



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are you a vehicle owner? aliyah Honda 2 1 01 Dec 2006 06:31 am
FOR THOSE VEHICLE OWNER, TAKE A LOOK! macy Honda 2 0 29 Nov 2006 02:01 am
Which vehicle would you keep? Chris B Honda 2 8 12 Jun 2006 08:49 pm
Vehicle monitoring Tom Cooper Acura 0 23 Apr 2005 04:22 am
Winters for sale in Chicago. Rafal Honda 2 0 12 Nov 2003 10:59 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.