Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03 Oct 2008, 09:51 pm
Mark
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Broken Key "FOB"

One of the keys for our 2004 Accord has broken. The plastic casing for the
security 'FOB' part of the key has broken and the key is nearly coming out.
Anyone know if it is possible to get new plastic casing? It seems the
electronics and key could be placed in a new casing cheaper than replacing
the entire thing. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Mark

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 28 Oct 2008, 08:01 pm
Mark
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Broken Key "FOB"

No response in several weeks so I assume I must have either done the
unthinkable and become the 1st person to ever break a key or have received a
defective key from the factory. (I'm thinking the latter since the other
key is showing no signs for breaking even though I use it about 1/2 the
time.)

I'm going to put a new battery in the broken key and then use gorilla glue
to fix it - permanently! When the battery goes I'll either find a key at
the junk-yard to use the case from, pay the dealer price for a new key, or
trade the car on a new one!

Mark



"Mark" <mwl@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:uSAFk.295$kn5.183@newsfe12.iad...
> One of the keys for our 2004 Accord has broken. The plastic casing for the
> security 'FOB' part of the key has broken and the key is nearly coming
> out. Anyone know if it is possible to get new plastic casing? It seems
> the electronics and key could be placed in a new casing cheaper than
> replacing the entire thing. Is this possible?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 28 Oct 2008, 08:22 pm
Al
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Broken Key "FOB"

Mark wrote:
> No response in several weeks so I assume I must have either done the
> unthinkable and become the 1st person to ever break a key or have
> received a defective key from the factory. (I'm thinking the latter
> since the other key is showing no signs for breaking even though I use
> it about 1/2 the time.)
>
> I'm going to put a new battery in the broken key and then use gorilla
> glue to fix it - permanently! When the battery goes I'll either find a
> key at the junk-yard to use the case from, pay the dealer price for a
> new key, or trade the car on a new one!
>
> Mark
>
>
>
> "Mark" <mwl@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:uSAFk.295$kn5.183@newsfe12.iad...
>> One of the keys for our 2004 Accord has broken. The plastic casing for
>> the security 'FOB' part of the key has broken and the key is nearly
>> coming out. Anyone know if it is possible to get new plastic casing?
>> It seems the electronics and key could be placed in a new casing
>> cheaper than replacing the entire thing. Is this possible?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Mark

>


They seem to be in the range of 25 bucks brand new on ebay - no good?

I got one last year for a non-Honda and had no issues.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11 Nov 2008, 02:27 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Broken Key "FOB"

Check out http://www.remotesandkeys.com/ - when the eyelet broke on my
Toyota key I ordered a rubber cover ($8 plus $4 S/H) and it was a good
solution.

Mike
"Mark" <mwl@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:lBONk.19296$UD6.11613@newsfe07.iad...
> No response in several weeks so I assume I must have either done the
> unthinkable and become the 1st person to ever break a key or have received
> a defective key from the factory. (I'm thinking the latter since the
> other key is showing no signs for breaking even though I use it about 1/2
> the time.)
>
> I'm going to put a new battery in the broken key and then use gorilla glue
> to fix it - permanently! When the battery goes I'll either find a key at
> the junk-yard to use the case from, pay the dealer price for a new key, or
> trade the car on a new one!
>
> Mark
>
>
>
> "Mark" <mwl@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:uSAFk.295$kn5.183@newsfe12.iad...
>> One of the keys for our 2004 Accord has broken. The plastic casing for
>> the security 'FOB' part of the key has broken and the key is nearly
>> coming out. Anyone know if it is possible to get new plastic casing? It
>> seems the electronics and key could be placed in a new casing cheaper
>> than replacing the entire thing. Is this possible?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Mark

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11 Nov 2008, 02:35 pm
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Broken Key "FOB"


>>
>> I'm going to put a new battery in the broken key and then use gorilla glue
>> to fix it - permanently! When the battery goes I'll either find a key at
>> the junk-yard to use the case from, pay the dealer price for a new key, or
>> trade the car on a new one!
>>
>> Mark
>>


Unfortunately, this sort of thing (and most things these days really)
are considered non-serviceable assemblies and parts are not available
individually. Gorilla glue is not the best choice for this, it tends to
foam and expand significantly as it cures. A better bet would be epoxy,
you can get it specifically designed to bond to plastics, I think the
stuff I have is called Plastic Weld. It bonds very well to most plastics
and is sturdy enough that I've used it to mold replacements for missing
sections of parts. Cyanoacrylate (superglue, crazy glue, etc) will
usually work too, but it tends to get all over everything and the vapors
turn finger oils into whitish deposits. Glued very carefully, you should
be able to crack it back open later to change the battery.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11 Nov 2008, 06:13 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Broken Key "FOB"


"James Sweet" <jamessweet1@trashmail.net> wrote in message
news:gfcqa3$ap1$1@news.albasani.net...
>
>>>
>>> I'm going to put a new battery in the broken key and then use gorilla
>>> glue to fix it - permanently! When the battery goes I'll either find a
>>> key at the junk-yard to use the case from, pay the dealer price for a
>>> new key, or trade the car on a new one!
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>

>
> Unfortunately, this sort of thing (and most things these days really) are
> considered non-serviceable assemblies and parts are not available
> individually. Gorilla glue is not the best choice for this, it tends to
> foam and expand significantly as it cures. A better bet would be epoxy,
> you can get it specifically designed to bond to plastics, I think the
> stuff I have is called Plastic Weld. It bonds very well to most plastics
> and is sturdy enough that I've used it to mold replacements for missing
> sections of parts. Cyanoacrylate (superglue, crazy glue, etc) will usually
> work too, but it tends to get all over everything and the vapors turn
> finger oils into whitish deposits. Glued very carefully, you should be
> able to crack it back open later to change the battery.
>


Although KeysandRemotes.com has the replacement case for $14, if this is the
right style
http://www.remotesandkeys.com/Search...s.asp?Cat=3034


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 13 Nov 2008, 07:27 pm
Mark
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Broken Key "FOB"

Yup - that be the one. I've used the good ol' hot-glue on it for now, so
once the battery starts to die I'll probably order one and see if I can get
it cut at the locksmith.

Thanks!

"Michael Pardee" <null@null.org> wrote in message
news:ndSdnfF34bgDgofUnZ2dnUVZ_sjinZ2d@sedona.net.. .
>
> "James Sweet" <jamessweet1@trashmail.net> wrote in message
> news:gfcqa3$ap1$1@news.albasani.net...
>>
>>>>
>>>> I'm going to put a new battery in the broken key and then use gorilla
>>>> glue to fix it - permanently! When the battery goes I'll either find a
>>>> key at the junk-yard to use the case from, pay the dealer price for a
>>>> new key, or trade the car on a new one!
>>>>
>>>> Mark
>>>>

>>
>> Unfortunately, this sort of thing (and most things these days really) are
>> considered non-serviceable assemblies and parts are not available
>> individually. Gorilla glue is not the best choice for this, it tends to
>> foam and expand significantly as it cures. A better bet would be epoxy,
>> you can get it specifically designed to bond to plastics, I think the
>> stuff I have is called Plastic Weld. It bonds very well to most plastics
>> and is sturdy enough that I've used it to mold replacements for missing
>> sections of parts. Cyanoacrylate (superglue, crazy glue, etc) will
>> usually work too, but it tends to get all over everything and the vapors
>> turn finger oils into whitish deposits. Glued very carefully, you should
>> be able to crack it back open later to change the battery.
>>

>
> Although KeysandRemotes.com has the replacement case for $14, if this is
> the right style
> http://www.remotesandkeys.com/Search...s.asp?Cat=3034
>


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 13 Nov 2008, 07:43 pm
Tony Hwang
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Broken Key "FOB"

Mark wrote:
> One of the keys for our 2004 Accord has broken. The plastic casing for
> the security 'FOB' part of the key has broken and the key is nearly
> coming out. Anyone know if it is possible to get new plastic casing? It
> seems the electronics and key could be placed in a new casing cheaper
> than replacing the entire thing. Is this possible?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark

Hi,
If it still works, you can use epoxy to hold them together.
May not be pretty but the epoxy will do the job.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 13 Nov 2008, 09:34 pm
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Broken Key "FOB"

A two-stage approach - I like it!

Mike

"Mark" <mwl@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:8u4Tk.112$us4.91@newsfe14.iad...
> Yup - that be the one. I've used the good ol' hot-glue on it for now, so
> once the battery starts to die I'll probably order one and see if I can
> get it cut at the locksmith.
>
> Thanks!
>
> "Michael Pardee" <null@null.org> wrote in message
> news:ndSdnfF34bgDgofUnZ2dnUVZ_sjinZ2d@sedona.net.. .
>>
>> "James Sweet" <jamessweet1@trashmail.net> wrote in message
>> news:gfcqa3$ap1$1@news.albasani.net...
>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> I'm going to put a new battery in the broken key and then use gorilla
>>>>> glue to fix it - permanently! When the battery goes I'll either find
>>>>> a key at the junk-yard to use the case from, pay the dealer price for
>>>>> a new key, or trade the car on a new one!
>>>>>
>>>>> Mark
>>>>>
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, this sort of thing (and most things these days really)
>>> are considered non-serviceable assemblies and parts are not available
>>> individually. Gorilla glue is not the best choice for this, it tends to
>>> foam and expand significantly as it cures. A better bet would be epoxy,
>>> you can get it specifically designed to bond to plastics, I think the
>>> stuff I have is called Plastic Weld. It bonds very well to most plastics
>>> and is sturdy enough that I've used it to mold replacements for missing
>>> sections of parts. Cyanoacrylate (superglue, crazy glue, etc) will
>>> usually work too, but it tends to get all over everything and the vapors
>>> turn finger oils into whitish deposits. Glued very carefully, you should
>>> be able to crack it back open later to change the battery.
>>>

>>
>> Although KeysandRemotes.com has the replacement case for $14, if this is
>> the right style
>> http://www.remotesandkeys.com/Search...s.asp?Cat=3034
>>

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 24 Nov 2008, 01:09 am
Evan Platt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Broken Key "FOB"

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 22:51:04 -0400, "Mark" <mwl@nospam.com> wrote:

>One of the keys for our 2004 Accord has broken. The plastic casing for the
>security 'FOB' part of the key has broken and the key is nearly coming out.
>Anyone know if it is possible to get new plastic casing? It seems the
>electronics and key could be placed in a new casing cheaper than replacing
>the entire thing. Is this possible?


Mark:

Not sure if you got this resolved yet...

Check out
http://www.dealextreme.com/products....h.key%20casing

and see if they have what you need.

Evan
--
To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"""You will get 10 points"""" 96 Green Honda Civic EX ...RIMs Or Hudcap( Wheel Cover)?? Jason Honda Technical 7 03 Nov 2007 11:36 am
"""You will get 10 points"""" 96 Green Honda Civic EX ...RIMs Or Hudcap( Wheel Cover)?? Jason Honda Technical 1 03 Nov 2007 11:10 am
"""You will get 10 points"""" 96 Green Honda Civic EX ...RIMs Or Hudcap( Wheel Cover)?? Jason Honda Technical 0 03 Nov 2007 11:10 am
">"">>>><meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="0;url=http://www.YapaYHaCK.OrG/Hacked.htm SaNaLKorSaN Acura 0 17 Nov 2006 06:28 am
92' Accord 5spd has "knocking"-"cluncking" sound on drivers sidewhen starting out FWD and BKWD phil Honda 2 1 12 Feb 2005 10:29 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.