Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06 Sep 2008, 12:10 am
Tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default What Questions Should I Ask When Buying a Used Honda?

I'm looking for a used Honda. A casual friend may sell me his '05 Honda
Civic 30K, factory serviced, standard transmission, power windows. I don't
know what else it has or the size engine. He drives around 8K - 10k a year.
He told me because of the low mileage he doesn't get service by the date due
but months later. This bothers me somewhat. If I can make a deal with the
owner what questions should I ask the him? I plan to take the car to a
Honda mechanic and get it checked out.

Tom


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06 Sep 2008, 12:21 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What Questions Should I Ask When Buying a Used Honda?

Tom wrote:
> I'm looking for a used Honda. A casual friend may sell me his '05 Honda
> Civic 30K, factory serviced, standard transmission, power windows. I don't
> know what else it has or the size engine. He drives around 8K - 10k a year.
> He told me because of the low mileage he doesn't get service by the date due
> but months later. This bothers me somewhat. If I can make a deal with the
> owner what questions should I ask the him? I plan to take the car to a
> Honda mechanic and get it checked out.
>
> Tom
>
>


most dealers, er, "encourage" their customers to get service done
prematurely, so chances are, your casual friend's car is in perfect
condition.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06 Sep 2008, 10:50 am
Tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What Questions Should I Ask When Buying a Used Honda?


"jim beam" <spamvortex@bad.example.net> wrote in message
news:072dnYH7Ab0Ijl_VnZ2dnUVZ_jydnZ2d@speakeasy.ne t...

> most dealers, er, "encourage" their customers to get service done
> prematurely, so chances are, your casual friend's car is in perfect
> condition.



I'm referring to the mfg maintenance schedule, not dealer's whim.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06 Sep 2008, 11:57 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What Questions Should I Ask When Buying a Used Honda?

Tom wrote:
> "jim beam" <spamvortex@bad.example.net> wrote in message
> news:072dnYH7Ab0Ijl_VnZ2dnUVZ_jydnZ2d@speakeasy.ne t...
>
>> most dealers, er, "encourage" their customers to get service done
>> prematurely, so chances are, your casual friend's car is in perfect
>> condition.

>
>
> I'm referring to the mfg maintenance schedule, not dealer's whim.
>
>


oh, well, in that case, the answer you want is obvious - the car's a
total disaster and should be avoided like jimmy carter's soiled
geriatric undies. i mean, it's got thirty /thousand/ miles on it in
/three/ years!!! only a fool would buy an abused wreck like that.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06 Sep 2008, 12:08 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What Questions Should I Ask When Buying a Used Honda?

"Tom" <whizzy@earthlink.com> wrote in news:g9t3ct$4u2$1@aioe.org:

> I'm looking for a used Honda. A casual friend may sell me his '05
> Honda Civic 30K, factory serviced, standard transmission, power
> windows. I don't know what else it has or the size engine. He drives
> around 8K - 10k a year. He told me because of the low mileage he
> doesn't get service by the date due but months later. This bothers me
> somewhat. If I can make a deal with the owner what questions should I
> ask the him? I plan to take the car to a Honda mechanic and get it
> checked out.
>




An '05 with 30K is basically new. Your friend hasn't had it long enough to
do serious damage, except maybe to the clutch.

However, have a peek inside the oil filler hole in the valve cover. There
should be nothing more in there but the very lightest film of golden-brown
varnish, or not even that. If there are significant deposits in there, your
friend has been neglectful of oil changes, which could be a problem
depending on the amount of deposits.

I would do all the servicing required for 30K as per the Owner's Manual
maintenance schedule, then stick to the schedule thereafter. Also, get the
oil and filter changed right away.

You friend misunderstands the maintenance requirements, by the way. Honda
(NOT the dealer!) specifies a /time/ interval as well as a /distance/ one
specifically to account for low-mileage drivers.
It is unwise to ignore the time interval just because you haven't yet
reached the distance one. This is especially true for oil changes.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06 Sep 2008, 08:38 pm
Tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What Questions Should I Ask When Buying a Used Honda?


"jim beam" <spamvortex@bad.example.net> wrote in message
news:U82dnUqxbYlZK1_VnZ2dnUVZ_rmdnZ2d@speakeasy.ne t...
> Tom wrote:
>> "jim beam" <spamvortex@bad.example.net> wrote in message
>> news:072dnYH7Ab0Ijl_VnZ2dnUVZ_jydnZ2d@speakeasy.ne t...

> oh, well, in that case, the answer you want is obvious - the car's a total
> disaster and should be avoided like jimmy carter's soiled geriatric
> undies. i mean, it's got thirty /thousand/ miles on it in /three/
> years!!! only a fool would buy an abused wreck like that.


Silly me expecting a rational answer from a dunce. . ,. sorry fool. . . . .

Keeping working on that third grade reading primer and eventually, if you
work reaL hard, you'll understand the written word, asshole.



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06 Sep 2008, 08:45 pm
Tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What Questions Should I Ask When Buying a Used Honda?


"Tegger" <invalid@invalid.inv> wrote in message
news:Xns9B1185D78983Ftegger@208.90.168.18...
> "Tom" <whizzy@earthlink.com> wrote in news:g9t3ct$4u2$1@aioe.org:


> An '05 with 30K is basically new. Your friend hasn't had it long enough to
> do serious damage, except maybe to the clutch.
>
> However, have a peek inside the oil filler hole in the valve cover. There
> should be nothing more in there but the very lightest film of golden-brown
> varnish, or not even that. If there are significant deposits in there,
> your
> friend has been neglectful of oil changes, which could be a problem
> depending on the amount of deposits.
>
> I would do all the servicing required for 30K as per the Owner's Manual
> maintenance schedule, then stick to the schedule thereafter. Also, get the
> oil and filter changed right away.
>
> You friend misunderstands the maintenance requirements, by the way. Honda
> (NOT the dealer!) specifies a /time/ interval as well as a /distance/ one
> specifically to account for low-mileage drivers.
> It is unwise to ignore the time interval just because you haven't yet
> reached the distance one. This is especially true for oil changes.


Thanks for the helpful response. I suspected as much. What's amazing
about this is my '92 Saturn SL1 w/ 120K is needing lots of care and feeding
ie, clutch, tires, exhaust system and I've been browsing the used car lots
looking for a'05 Honda Civic, standard shift..

My friend wants to get a Honda hybrid in a couple of months thern I'll buy
is '05.


>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06 Sep 2008, 11:00 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What Questions Should I Ask When Buying a Used Honda?

Tom wrote:
> "jim beam" <spamvortex@bad.example.net> wrote in message
> news:U82dnUqxbYlZK1_VnZ2dnUVZ_rmdnZ2d@speakeasy.ne t...
>> Tom wrote:
>>> "jim beam" <spamvortex@bad.example.net> wrote in message
>>> news:072dnYH7Ab0Ijl_VnZ2dnUVZ_jydnZ2d@speakeasy.ne t...

>> oh, well, in that case, the answer you want is obvious - the car's a total
>> disaster and should be avoided like jimmy carter's soiled geriatric
>> undies. i mean, it's got thirty /thousand/ miles on it in /three/
>> years!!! only a fool would buy an abused wreck like that.

>
> Silly me expecting a rational answer from a dunce. . ,. sorry fool. . . . .
>
> Keeping working on that third grade reading primer and eventually, if you
> work reaL hard, you'll understand the written word, asshole.
>
>
>


you come here wanting expert advice, expect not to pay for it, dish out
bad attitude, ask improperly framed questions, all while withholding
relevant information, but the other guy's the a-hole? what self-delusion!

tell you what: next time, abandon this psychic diagnosis business and
hire someone in a professional capacity. they'll charge you $230 for a
400-point vehicle inspection, and they'll tell you exactly the same
thing - quit your whining and go home, the car's fine.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07 Sep 2008, 08:24 pm
Tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What Questions Should I Ask When Buying a Used Honda?


"jim beam" <spamvortex@bad.example.net> wrote in message
news:Bdydneb3eoCDz17VnZ2dnUVZ_qfinZ2d@speakeasy.ne t...
> Tom wrote:
>> "jim beam" <spamvortex@bad.example.net> wrote in message
>> news:U82dnUqxbYlZK1_VnZ2dnUVZ_rmdnZ2d@speakeasy.ne t...
>>> Tom wrote:
>>>> "jim beam" <spamvortex@bad.example.net> wrote in message
>>>> news:072dnYH7Ab0Ijl_VnZ2dnUVZ_jydnZ2d@speakeasy.ne t...
>>> oh, well, in that case, the answer you want is obvious - the car's a
>>> total disaster and should be avoided like jimmy carter's soiled
>>> geriatric undies. i mean, it's got thirty /thousand/ miles on it in
>>> /three/ years!!! only a fool would buy an abused wreck like that.

>>
>> Silly me expecting a rational answer from a dunce. . ,. sorry fool. . . .
>> .
>>
>> Keeping working on that third grade reading primer and eventually, if you
>> work reaL hard, you'll understand the written word, asshole.


Hey Sport, read my question to this newsgroup then read your nonrelevant
response to my question.
Youa re truly one sick goof. I hope you don't drive a car, or handle sharp
objects or handle anything else that might cause you or more impofrtantly
others harm.


>>
>>
>>

>
> you come here wanting expert advice, expect not to pay for it, dish out
> bad attitude, ask improperly framed questions, all while withholding
> relevant information, but the other guy's the a-hole? what self-delusion!
>
> tell you what: next time, abandon this psychic diagnosis business and hire
> someone in a professional capacity. they'll charge you $230 for a
> 400-point vehicle inspection, and they'll tell you exactly the same
> thing - quit your whining and go home, the car's fine.



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08 Sep 2008, 02:47 pm
SMS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What Questions Should I Ask When Buying a Used Honda?

Tom wrote:
> I'm looking for a used Honda. A casual friend may sell me his '05 Honda
> Civic 30K, factory serviced, standard transmission, power windows. I don't
> know what else it has or the size engine. He drives around 8K - 10k a year.
> He told me because of the low mileage he doesn't get service by the date due
> but months later. This bothers me somewhat. If I can make a deal with the
> owner what questions should I ask the him? I plan to take the car to a
> Honda mechanic and get it checked out.


If he's driving 10K per year, and getting two oil changes a year, that's
fine. Also, at only 30K, any reduction in engine longevity due to
slightly extended change intervals will be minimal.

How much? There's a tendency out here (California) for two year old
Hondas to sell used for nearly as much as an astute buyer would pay for
it new. The used values are inflated both by people that paid too much
for the vehicle new, and by those that believe that the new price is
much higher than it actually is. It's very very different than how
Saturn was with their old "no-haggle pricing."

For a 5 speed 2005 with 30K miles it should be between $9,000 and
$11,000 depending on the level of equipment and trim level (DX, LX, EX
etc.). Remember, the warranty is over, and it's essentially four years
old. A 2009 manual transmission Civic DX would cost you only around
$14.5K, and only because the Civic's in high demand right now due to the
high price of fuel.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking of buying this turbo for my 92 prelude si. I have some questions.? mon0xide16 Honda Technical 6 20 Jan 2008 04:31 pm
Buying a used Honda Max Wilson Honda 2 6 26 Apr 2006 10:20 pm
Questions about buying a used Honda Integra. Veronique De Kock Honda 3 2 01 Sep 2004 02:28 pm
Buying Timing Light: Questions Caroline Honda 3 9 03 Mar 2004 06:46 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.