Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08 Aug 2008, 05:06 pm
Truckdude
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 2007 Accord rear brakes

Rear end noise squeal. Per dealer service, the rear brake pads are worn
down to the indicators. The car is 8 months old and has approx. 16,000
miles on it. Dealer service says that this is common and normal and wants
$169 to simply replace the pads. It did not even cross my mind that the
sound was brake pads this soon. Sound right to anyone?


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08 Aug 2008, 05:18 pm
Brian Smith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2007 Accord rear brakes


"Truckdude" <shruub@buushed.com> wrote in message
news:yp3nk.23$C65.4@en-nntp-01.dc1.easynews.com...
> Rear end noise squeal. Per dealer service, the rear brake pads are worn
> down to the indicators. The car is 8 months old and has approx. 16,000
> miles on it. Dealer service says that this is common and normal and wants
> $169 to simply replace the pads. It did not even cross my mind that the
> sound was brake pads this soon. Sound right to anyone?


Get a second opinion from an independent shop.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08 Aug 2008, 05:46 pm
Howard Lester
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2007 Accord rear brakes


"Truckdude" wrote

> Rear end noise squeal. Per dealer service, the rear brake pads are worn
> down to the indicators. The car is 8 months old and has approx. 16,000
> miles on it.


My 2004 did this at about 28,000 miles -- seemed awfully "too soon" then.
But, it had to be done. 16,000 sounds ridiculous. What seems more strange is
that the original front pads, at 40,000, are still fine.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08 Aug 2008, 06:23 pm
Joe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2007 Accord rear brakes

On 2008-08-08, Truckdude <shruub@buushed.com> wrote:
> Rear end noise squeal. Per dealer service, the rear brake pads are worn
> down to the indicators. The car is 8 months old and has approx. 16,000
> miles on it. Dealer service says that this is common and normal and wants
> $169 to simply replace the pads. It did not even cross my mind that the
> sound was brake pads this soon. Sound right to anyone?
>
>


Sure as hell shouldn't be...

I have an 06 Civic Si with about 36,000 on it, and they weren't easy
miles. The pads still look pretty damned good all around. There is
no excuse for having to change pads at 16,000 miles...


--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
"Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
time..." - Danny, American History X
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09 Aug 2008, 07:26 am
L Alpert
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2007 Accord rear brakes


"Truckdude" <shruub@buushed.com> wrote in message
news:yp3nk.23$C65.4@en-nntp-01.dc1.easynews.com...
> Rear end noise squeal. Per dealer service, the rear brake pads are
> worn down to the indicators. The car is 8 months old and has
> approx. 16,000 miles on it. Dealer service says that this is common
> and normal and wants $169 to simply replace the pads. It did not
> even cross my mind that the sound was brake pads this soon. Sound
> right to anyone?
>


Sounds like there may be something wrong with the caliper.


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09 Aug 2008, 10:59 am
Truckdude
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2007 Accord rear brakes


"L Alpert" <alpertl@xxgmail.com> wrote in message
news:m1gnk.3618$zv7.3435@flpi143.ffdc.sbc.com...
>
> "Truckdude" <shruub@buushed.com> wrote in message
> news:yp3nk.23$C65.4@en-nntp-01.dc1.easynews.com...
>> Rear end noise squeal. Per dealer service, the rear brake pads are worn
>> down to the indicators. The car is 8 months old and has approx. 16,000
>> miles on it. Dealer service says that this is common and normal and
>> wants $169 to simply replace the pads. It did not even cross my mind that
>> the sound was brake pads this soon. Sound right to anyone?
>>

>
> Sounds like there may be something wrong with the caliper.
>


They say that all 4 rear pads are worn, not just one side or the other. It
is my wife's car and I haven't had a chance to check it out for myself yet,
but I will keep that in mind. Thanks.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09 Aug 2008, 11:01 am
Truckdude
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2007 Accord rear brakes


"Howard Lester" <heylester@dakotacom.net> wrote in message
news:tpWdna549PcjUQHVnZ2dnUVZ_hKdnZ2d@posted.dakot acomip...
>
> "Truckdude" wrote
>
>> Rear end noise squeal. Per dealer service, the rear brake pads are worn
>> down to the indicators. The car is 8 months old and has approx. 16,000
>> miles on it.

>
> My 2004 did this at about 28,000 miles -- seemed awfully "too soon" then.
> But, it had to be done. 16,000 sounds ridiculous. What seems more strange
> is that the original front pads, at 40,000, are still fine.
>


Over the phone the service advisor guy said that the braking systems have
been re-engineered to put a greater burden on the rears. I am just
wondering if he is bullshitting me or not.


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09 Aug 2008, 11:02 am
Truckdude
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2007 Accord rear brakes


"Joe" <joe@nospam.hits-buffalo.com> wrote in message
news:slrng9plgv.uvg.joe@barada.griffincs.local...
> On 2008-08-08, Truckdude <shruub@buushed.com> wrote:
>> Rear end noise squeal. Per dealer service, the rear brake pads are worn
>> down to the indicators. The car is 8 months old and has approx. 16,000
>> miles on it. Dealer service says that this is common and normal and
>> wants
>> $169 to simply replace the pads. It did not even cross my mind that the
>> sound was brake pads this soon. Sound right to anyone?
>>
>>

>
> Sure as hell shouldn't be...
>
> I have an 06 Civic Si with about 36,000 on it, and they weren't easy
> miles. The pads still look pretty damned good all around. There is
> no excuse for having to change pads at 16,000 miles...
>
>
> --
> Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
> joe at hits - buffalo dot com
> "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
> time..." - Danny, American History X


I don't think so either.


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09 Aug 2008, 11:18 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2007 Accord rear brakes

Truckdude wrote:
> "Howard Lester" <heylester@dakotacom.net> wrote in message
> news:tpWdna549PcjUQHVnZ2dnUVZ_hKdnZ2d@posted.dakot acomip...
>> "Truckdude" wrote
>>
>>> Rear end noise squeal. Per dealer service, the rear brake pads are worn
>>> down to the indicators. The car is 8 months old and has approx. 16,000
>>> miles on it.

>> My 2004 did this at about 28,000 miles -- seemed awfully "too soon" then.
>> But, it had to be done. 16,000 sounds ridiculous. What seems more strange
>> is that the original front pads, at 40,000, are still fine.
>>

>
> Over the phone the service advisor guy said that the braking systems have
> been re-engineered to put a greater burden on the rears. I am just
> wondering if he is bullshitting me or not.
>
>


sure was! they're trying to run down the clock so they get to charge
you more than honda would pay them on warranty work. call honda usa's
main customer service # if these clowns don't take care of you.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09 Aug 2008, 01:15 pm
rjdriver
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2007 Accord rear brakes


"Truckdude" <shruub@buushed.com> wrote in message
news:Q9jnk.51$3I2.5@en-nntp-02.dc1.easynews.com...
>
> "L Alpert" <alpertl@xxgmail.com> wrote in message
> news:m1gnk.3618$zv7.3435@flpi143.ffdc.sbc.com...
>>
>> "Truckdude" <shruub@buushed.com> wrote in message
>> news:yp3nk.23$C65.4@en-nntp-01.dc1.easynews.com...
>>> Rear end noise squeal. Per dealer service, the rear brake pads are worn
>>> down to the indicators. The car is 8 months old and has approx. 16,000
>>> miles on it. Dealer service says that this is common and normal and
>>> wants $169 to simply replace the pads. It did not even cross my mind
>>> that the sound was brake pads this soon. Sound right to anyone?
>>>

>>
>> Sounds like there may be something wrong with the caliper.
>>

>
> They say that all 4 rear pads are worn, not just one side or the other.
> It is my wife's car and I haven't had a chance to check it out for myself
> yet, but I will keep that in mind. Thanks.
>


It is not unusual, as of 2003, for Honda rear pads to wear faster than
the fronts. My 2003 Accord has behaved the same way. They must have changed
the way the proportioning valve works, as historically, fronts have always
worn quicker.

16.000 miles seem a bit too short though. Mine have gone to about 45000.
And $169 sounds about right for a dealer. Typically they will get around
$75.00 just for the pads, with an hour of labor at anywhere from $65.00 to
$90.00/hour, plus tax. Since they wore all the way down, I'm surprised
they are not also trying to sell you new rotors, or at least a
trueing/turning.


Bob


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to repair 1994 Honda Accord rear brakes? dbiggus@verizon.net Honda Technical 3 25 Mar 2010 11:08 pm
2000 Accord EX rear brakes time2bail Honda 3 1 23 Feb 2005 01:33 pm
2002 Accord Rear Brakes Alan McLeod Honda 2 3 29 Nov 2004 03:36 pm
2003 TL, Type-S, Front brakes - vibration, Rear brakes - wear Alex Vilner Acura 6 20 Aug 2003 09:09 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.