Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01 Aug 2008, 11:11 am
Robert11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Larger 4 Cyl Engine In Accord's Question

Hello,

Will probably be purchasing a 2009 Accord when they appear in a few weeks.

Was wondering about the two different 4-cyl. engines they offered in 2008,
and I presume will again for the 2009's.

The difference in HP seems almos negligible; I think only about 10 HP or so
more for the "bigger" four cyl.

Is this really enough to make some difference ?
Would I really even notice it, probably ?

What do most folks get ? Why ?

Or, is there something else different besides jus HP that actually makey the
larger one "better" ?

Thanks,
Bob


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01 Aug 2008, 11:33 am
Elle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Larger 4 Cyl Engine In Accord's Question

"Robert11" <rgsros@notme.com> wrote
> Will probably be purchasing a 2009 Accord when they appear
> in a few weeks.
>
> Was wondering about the two different 4-cyl. engines they
> offered in 2008, and I presume will again for the 2009's.


www.fueleconomy.gov shows the same size engine for all 2008
4-cylinder Accords. Did you mean to ask something else?

I do see that fuel mileage of the 6-cylinder 2008 Accord is
not very different from that of the 4-cylinder. This is
probably due to the new "Variable Cylinder Management"
system of newer 6-cylinder Hondas.



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01 Aug 2008, 06:26 pm
Robert11
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default From OP: Re: Larger 4 Cyl Engine In Accord's Question

Hi,

I may be wrong, or mis-read, but I am fairly sure in many car mags that
there was in 2008 (and presumably for 2009 also) two different four cyl
offering. I think it said that the difference in HP was (only) about 12 HP.

Bob
--------------------------

>> Will probably be purchasing a 2009 Accord when they appear in a few
>> weeks.
>>
>> Was wondering about the two different 4-cyl. engines they offered in
>> 2008, and I presume will again for the 2009's.

>
> www.fueleconomy.gov shows the same size engine for all 2008 4-cylinder
> Accords. Did you mean to ask something else?
>
> I do see that fuel mileage of the 6-cylinder 2008 Accord is not very
> different from that of the 4-cylinder. This is probably due to the new
> "Variable Cylinder Management" system of newer 6-cylinder Hondas.
>
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01 Aug 2008, 06:37 pm
Howard Lester
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Larger 4 Cyl Engine In Accords

"Robert11" wrote

> Was wondering about the two different 4-cyl. engines they offered in 2008,
> and I presume will again for the 2009's.
>
> The difference in HP seems almos negligible; I think only about 10 HP or
> so more for the "bigger" four cyl.


You can't just choose the engine. At least in the sedan, it's the EX series
that offers the 190 HP engine. The LX series offers the 177 HP one.

http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-...fications.aspx


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01 Aug 2008, 07:03 pm
tww1491
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Larger 4 Cyl Engine In Accord's Question


"Robert11" <rgsros@notme.com> wrote in message
news:QJOdnTnV0MlRqA7VnZ2dnUVZ_sWdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Hello,
>
> Will probably be purchasing a 2009 Accord when they appear in a few weeks.
>
> Was wondering about the two different 4-cyl. engines they offered in 2008,
> and I presume will again for the 2009's.
>
> The difference in HP seems almos negligible; I think only about 10 HP or
> so more for the "bigger" four cyl.
>
> Is this really enough to make some difference ?
> Would I really even notice it, probably ?
>
> What do most folks get ? Why ?
>
> Or, is there something else different besides jus HP that actually makey
> the larger one "better" ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
>

Regardless of whether you opt for the 190hp 2.4 I4 found in the EX or the
177 hp in the LX and LXP sedans, I understand the gas mileage in the new I4
Accords is not as good as the older 166 hp 2.4 ltr I 4s. I should imagine
the weight and size increase contribute to this. On a recent highway trip I
managed to get a little over 35 mpg on a 06 Accord coupe I4 auto.


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01 Aug 2008, 10:23 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: From OP: Re: Larger 4 Cyl Engine In Accord's Question

Robert11 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I may be wrong, or mis-read, but I am fairly sure in many car mags that
> there was in 2008 (and presumably for 2009 also) two different four cyl
> offering. I think it said that the difference in HP was (only) about 12 HP.
>
> Bob
> --------------------------
>
>>> Will probably be purchasing a 2009 Accord when they appear in a few
>>> weeks.
>>>
>>> Was wondering about the two different 4-cyl. engines they offered in
>>> 2008, and I presume will again for the 2009's.

>> www.fueleconomy.gov shows the same size engine for all 2008 4-cylinder
>> Accords. Did you mean to ask something else?
>>
>> I do see that fuel mileage of the 6-cylinder 2008 Accord is not very
>> different from that of the 4-cylinder. This is probably due to the new
>> "Variable Cylinder Management" system of newer 6-cylinder Hondas.
>>
>>
>>

>
>


afaik, the power difference is due to the vtec cam, not different engine
capacity.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02 Aug 2008, 10:36 am
Elle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: From OP: Re: Larger 4 Cyl Engine In Accord's Question

"Robert11" <rgsros@notme.com> wrote
> I may be wrong, or mis-read, but I am fairly sure in many
> car mags that there was in 2008 (and presumably for 2009
> also) two different four cyl offering. I think it said
> that the difference in HP was (only) about 12 HP.


You are correct. These two 2008 Accord engines have the same
displacement. Both use I-VTEC. From my reading, the
difference in HP is due to different tuning (timing of valve
opening and closing and possibly ignition). The result is
that the EX (= 190 hp) has better acceleration at speeds
around 50 mph (and up?).

This phenomenon (same engine displacement for Accord, Civic,
whatever, but different hp) seems to occur on a number of
Hondas yada. Discussion at
http://www.hondanews.com/search/rele...q=ATDC&s=honda
for the 1993 Acura Legend (comparing it to the 92 Legend?)
may be helpful.

Just speculating, but I imagine the EX is touted to be more
suitable (comfort and performance-wise) for those whose
driving more often consists of long trips on the highway.


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02 Aug 2008, 10:47 am
Tony Hwang
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: From OP: Re: Larger 4 Cyl Engine In Accord's Question

Robert11 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I may be wrong, or mis-read, but I am fairly sure in many car mags that
> there was in 2008 (and presumably for 2009 also) two different four cyl
> offering. I think it said that the difference in HP was (only) about 12 HP.
>
> Bob
> --------------------------
>
>>> Will probably be purchasing a 2009 Accord when they appear in a few
>>> weeks.
>>>
>>> Was wondering about the two different 4-cyl. engines they offered in
>>> 2008, and I presume will again for the 2009's.

>> www.fueleconomy.gov shows the same size engine for all 2008 4-cylinder
>> Accords. Did you mean to ask something else?
>>
>> I do see that fuel mileage of the 6-cylinder 2008 Accord is not very
>> different from that of the 4-cylinder. This is probably due to the new
>> "Variable Cylinder Management" system of newer 6-cylinder Hondas.
>>
>>
>>

>
>

Hi,
Why are you hung up on HP rating? If really want to compare them look at
the power band to see where peak HP and torque is occuring. I am waiting
for multi-displacement engine for my nest car. Another way to look at is
under powered or marginally powered engine vs. over(reserve) powered
engine for the intended use. Or power to weight ratio.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02 Aug 2008, 08:01 pm
JXStern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Larger 4 Cyl Engine In Accord's Question

The base engine is just fine.

I believe the larger one requires premium fuel, at least to deliver
its extra power.

What have you been driving?

If you really need acceleration, or plan to drive four hefty people
uphill in high temperatures at high altitude while towing a trailer,
you might go for the six.

J.


On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 12:11:56 -0400, "Robert11" <rgsros@notme.com>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Will probably be purchasing a 2009 Accord when they appear in a few weeks.
>
>Was wondering about the two different 4-cyl. engines they offered in 2008,
>and I presume will again for the 2009's.
>
>The difference in HP seems almos negligible; I think only about 10 HP or so
>more for the "bigger" four cyl.
>
>Is this really enough to make some difference ?
>Would I really even notice it, probably ?
>
>What do most folks get ? Why ?
>
>Or, is there something else different besides jus HP that actually makey the
>larger one "better" ?
>
>Thanks,
>Bob
>


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02 Aug 2008, 08:10 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Larger 4 Cyl Engine In Accord's Question

JXStern wrote:
> The base engine is just fine.
>
> I believe the larger one requires premium fuel, at least to deliver
> its extra power.
>
> What have you been driving?
>
> If you really need acceleration, or plan to drive four hefty people
> uphill in high temperatures at high altitude while towing a trailer,


with a fully loaded roof rack...

> you might go for the six.
>
> J.
>
>
> On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 12:11:56 -0400, "Robert11" <rgsros@notme.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Will probably be purchasing a 2009 Accord when they appear in a few weeks.
>>
>> Was wondering about the two different 4-cyl. engines they offered in 2008,
>> and I presume will again for the 2009's.
>>
>> The difference in HP seems almos negligible; I think only about 10 HP or so
>> more for the "bigger" four cyl.
>>
>> Is this really enough to make some difference ?
>> Would I really even notice it, probably ?
>>
>> What do most folks get ? Why ?
>>
>> Or, is there something else different besides jus HP that actually makey the
>> larger one "better" ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob
>>

>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why is it better to have a larger rear sway bar for an Integra? j y Acura Technical 3 01 Jan 2008 11:01 am
my 2002 honda accord's pipes when pulling in the garage after turning engine off give a strong faustus guard Honda Technical 1 14 Sep 2007 09:46 am
Can I tune my 2006 Honda Accord's 2.4 i-vtec to 200 Horsepower just like an 2004 Acura TSX engine? Willi Hahn Acura Technical 3 22 Aug 2007 06:10 am
Larger gas tank on a '93 Civic vx garyhgaryh@yahoo.com Honda 3 3 07 Dec 2004 01:48 am
Accord's engine turned off at the lights blade runner Honda 3 5 24 Jul 2004 04:18 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.