Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 17 Jul 2008, 06:53 pm
Glenn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 2001 Honda Accord EX V6 Timing belt replacement maintenance schedule

My owners's manual for my 2001 Honda Accord EX V6 states that the timig belt
should be replaced at 105,000 miles or 7 years which ever comes first. The
problem is I only have 26,600 miles on the car but the Honda service
department that I contacted stated the timing belt should be replaced due to
the 7 year rule. I know that tires will deteriorate with age, sun/weather,
but I,m not to sure if that apply to a timing belt. I would appreciate any
information/advice on this subject. Thanks.

Glenn Lowry


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 17 Jul 2008, 08:55 pm
Elle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 Honda Accord EX V6 Timing belt replacement maintenance schedule

Yes, timing belt material does deteriorate with time. Plus,
in theory the miles you may have spent a lot of time at
idle, accumulating no miles on the odometer but certainly
accumulating run time on the engine and its parts. Have the
timing belt changed.

"Glenn" <glowry@swbell.net> wrote
> My owners's manual for my 2001 Honda Accord EX V6 states
> that the timig belt should be replaced at 105,000 miles or
> 7 years which ever comes first. The problem is I only have
> 26,600 miles on the car but the Honda service department
> that I contacted stated the timing belt should be replaced
> due to the 7 year rule. I know that tires will deteriorate
> with age, sun/weather, but I,m not to sure if that apply
> to a timing belt. I would appreciate any
> information/advice on this subject. Thanks.
>
> Glenn Lowry
>



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 18 Jul 2008, 08:54 am
Dano58
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 Honda Accord EX V6 Timing belt replacement maintenanceschedule

On Jul 17, 7:53*pm, "Glenn" <glo...@swbell.net> wrote:
> My owners's manual for my 2001 Honda Accord EX V6 states that the timig belt
> should be replaced at 105,000 miles or 7 years which ever comes first. The
> problem is I only have 26,600 miles on the car but the Honda service
> department that I contacted stated the timing belt should be replaced dueto
> the 7 year rule. I know that tires will deteriorate with age, sun/weather,
> but I,m not to sure if that apply to a timing belt. I would appreciate any
> information/advice on this subject. *Thanks.
>
> Glenn Lowry


Well, why would Honda even mention it if it wasn't necessary??
Sheesh.....

Replace it and save multiple thousands of dollars later.

Dan D
'07 Ody EX
Central NJ USA
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 18 Jul 2008, 04:52 pm
Glenn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 Honda Accord EX V6 Timing belt replacement maintenance schedule

Thanks for the input info. I don't know if my Honda engine is a "Interence
Engine" or not but I don't want to take a chance so I'll change out the
timing belt.
Glenn

"Elle" <honda.lioness@spamnocox.net> wrote in message
news:aKSfk.24$Dw3.16@newsfe04.iad...
> Yes, timing belt material does deteriorate with time. Plus, in theory the
> miles you may have spent a lot of time at idle, accumulating no miles on
> the odometer but certainly accumulating run time on the engine and its
> parts. Have the timing belt changed.
>
> "Glenn" <glowry@swbell.net> wrote
>> My owners's manual for my 2001 Honda Accord EX V6 states that the timig
>> belt should be replaced at 105,000 miles or 7 years which ever comes
>> first. The problem is I only have 26,600 miles on the car but the Honda
>> service department that I contacted stated the timing belt should be
>> replaced due to the 7 year rule. I know that tires will deteriorate with
>> age, sun/weather, but I,m not to sure if that apply to a timing belt. I
>> would appreciate any information/advice on this subject. Thanks.
>>
>> Glenn Lowry
>>

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 20 Jul 2008, 11:03 am
MLD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 Honda Accord EX V6 Timing belt replacement maintenance schedule


"Glenn" <glowry@swbell.net> wrote in message
news:7XQfk.2258$zv7.18@flpi143.ffdc.sbc.com...
> My owners's manual for my 2001 Honda Accord EX V6 states that the timig
> belt should be replaced at 105,000 miles or 7 years which ever comes
> first. The problem is I only have 26,600 miles on the car but the Honda
> service department that I contacted stated the timing belt should be
> replaced due to the 7 year rule. I know that tires will deteriorate with
> age, sun/weather, but I,m not to sure if that apply to a timing belt. I
> would appreciate any information/advice on this subject. Thanks.
>
> Glenn Lowry
>

Both miles and time are equally weighted, so do the change. Your dealer
will most likely recommend replacement of the drive belts and the water
pump. Although you don't have that many miles on the car give some thought
to doing the replacements since the additional cost is not that excessive.
MLD

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 21 Jul 2008, 02:36 pm
Glenn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2001 Honda Accord EX V6 Timing belt replacement maintenance schedule

MLD thanks for the info. Others have told me the same info. So I will take
my Honda to the dealer. Thanks again Glenn

"MLD" <MLD@verizon.net> wrote in message news:g5vnk6$ais$1@aioe.org...
>
> "Glenn" <glowry@swbell.net> wrote in message
> news:7XQfk.2258$zv7.18@flpi143.ffdc.sbc.com...
>> My owners's manual for my 2001 Honda Accord EX V6 states that the timig
>> belt should be replaced at 105,000 miles or 7 years which ever comes
>> first. The problem is I only have 26,600 miles on the car but the Honda
>> service department that I contacted stated the timing belt should be
>> replaced due to the 7 year rule. I know that tires will deteriorate with
>> age, sun/weather, but I,m not to sure if that apply to a timing belt. I
>> would appreciate any information/advice on this subject. Thanks.
>>
>> Glenn Lowry
>>

> Both miles and time are equally weighted, so do the change. Your dealer
> will most likely recommend replacement of the drive belts and the water
> pump. Although you don't have that many miles on the car give some
> thought to doing the replacements since the additional cost is not that
> excessive.
> MLD



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What maintenance schedule do I really need for my 2007 Honda Accord? Rodney I Honda Technical 4 13 Jan 2009 07:14 pm
Honda Accord '00 maintenance schedule amit.agarwal@gmail.com Honda 2 6 08 Jan 2007 12:14 am
1991 Accord timing belt schedule question dgk Honda 2 10 18 Aug 2006 10:20 am
91 accord timing belt replacement? 91 accord Honda 2 3 14 Jul 2006 09:10 pm
Timing belt replacement - 2001 Accord LX precambrian Honda 2 8 24 Feb 2006 12:33 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.