Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2008, 01:19 am
breeze
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 03 Accord -100K mi. - upcoming road trip

My 03 Accord 4cyl with 100k will be doing two road trips this summer
across the Arizona/California desert. It still has the original water
pump, hoses and plugs. Thinking about the following maintence before
heading out:
Water Pump
Coolant
thermostat
Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses
Fuel Filter
Oil Change
Serpentine Belt & tensioner
spark Plugs
transmission fluid
brake fluid

HAs anyone had a water pump go past 100k on these cars? Or the
serpentine belt and hoses? I'm impressed tehy ahve lasted so long -
interested in others experiences.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2008, 07:14 am
ACAR
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 03 Accord -100K mi. - upcoming road trip

On Jun 23, 1:19 am, breeze <breeze...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> My 03 Accord 4cyl with 100k will be doing two road trips this summer
> across the Arizona/California desert. It still has the original water
> pump, hoses and plugs. Thinking about the following maintence before
> heading out:
> Water Pump
> Coolant
> thermostat
> Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses
> Fuel Filter
> Oil Change
> Serpentine Belt & tensioner
> spark Plugs
> transmission fluid
> brake fluid
>
> HAs anyone had a water pump go past 100k on these cars? Or the
> serpentine belt and hoses? I'm impressed tehy ahve lasted so long -
> interested in others experiences.


Ask your dealer or shop about what's included in their complete timing
belt replacement package (lots of the items on your list should be
included and the timing belt, not on your list, is due for
replacement).
Hoses: a mechanic can tell you whether your hoses are OK.
Yeah, the other items are routine maintenance and should be done. May
as well change the power steering fluid and air filter while you're at
it and a throttle body cleaning isn't a bad idea. How's the PCV valve?
How old is the battery?
You might also want to check the spare tire and be sure you have the
tools (lug nut wrench) and ability to do it yourself.
Enjoy the trip.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2008, 08:39 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 03 Accord -100K mi. - upcoming road trip

breeze wrote:
> My 03 Accord 4cyl with 100k will be doing two road trips this summer
> across the Arizona/California desert. It still has the original water
> pump, hoses and plugs. Thinking about the following maintence before
> heading out:
> Water Pump
> Coolant
> thermostat
> Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses
> Fuel Filter
> Oil Change
> Serpentine Belt & tensioner
> spark Plugs
> transmission fluid
> brake fluid
>
> HAs anyone had a water pump go past 100k on these cars? Or the
> serpentine belt and hoses? I'm impressed tehy ahve lasted so long -
> interested in others experiences.


don't touch the fuel filter unless you're having fuel starvation
problems. and i'll bet you're not.

and make sure transmission fluid is drain and fill, never flush. i
wouldn't bother with radiator hoses either, the car is only 5 years old
- it's not detroit garbage.

as for the rest, honda don't have a serpentine belt, but they do have
accessory and timing belts. you're at that time when they need to be
done. best thing is to dig out ye olde faithful owner manual and follow
the service schedule laid out in there. you'll note that it doesn't
include coolant pump. while it's common practice to replace, the
genuine honda article lasts a /long/ time. i had a crx with 305k miles,
and i got it cheap because the original factory pump had finally failed.
on the one hand, for the sake of $50 during a $600+ job, it's not
worth skimping. on the other, provided you've used quality non-silicate
coolant, it will probably last until the next timing belt change. same
for the tensioners - they just spin, they don't have much load.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2008, 09:50 am
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 03 Accord -100K mi. - upcoming road trip

In article <NJqdndCjKZ7mBMLVnZ2dnUVZ_trinZ2d@speakeasy.net> ,
jim beam <spamvortex@bad.example.net> wrote:

> best thing is to dig out ye olde faithful owner manual and follow
> the service schedule laid out in there. you'll note that it doesn't
> include coolant pump. while it's common practice to replace, the
> genuine honda article lasts a /long/ time.


eh. Not really. they're just average is my experience.

And besides, it costs what--$20? While he's in there changing the
timing (and accessory!) belt, it's ludicrous not to change the water
pump.

Yes, use Honda parts. Really. That includes coolant. To do otherwise
is penny-wise and pound foolish.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2008, 10:39 am
rick++
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 03 Accord -100K mi. - upcoming road trip

Absolutely no problem if you've followed the maintenance
schedule recommended at each 10,000 mile interval.
Hondas dont get cranky until their 2nd or 3rd 100K.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2008, 09:51 pm
zonie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 03 Accord -100K mi. - upcoming road trip

I have an '03 and 04 Accord 4 cyl. Honda made big changes on the '03 model
as apposed to older Honda cars. First of the engine is on the passenger
side of the car and not the drivers side as older Honda's are. The water
pump is not driven buy the timing belt because there is no timing belt.
The cams are driven by a chain. There are also no accesory belts, all
under the hood is driven by a single serpentine belt. If it were my car i
would change the plugs and service the trans and call it good.
Scott

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.honda/
More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2008, 09:54 pm
zonie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 03 Accord -100K mi. - upcoming road trip

This car has no timing belt and does have a single serpintine belt. Cams
are chain driven and water pump driven by serpentine belt.
Scott

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.honda/
More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2008, 10:12 pm
zonie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 03 Accord -100K mi. - upcoming road trip

Hi, I live in Phoenix but only have 90,000 on my '03 4cyl Accord. I think
Honda says 105,000 on the plugs and 7 years or 120,000 on coolant . I
checked my coolant a few weeks ago. Still at factory specs. I even went so
far as to drain my radiator down so I could look in at condition of the
inside of the radiator. Shined a light in to see what looked like a brand
new radiator, no deposits and no calcium build up. Honda coolant the best
there is. My serpentine belt looks new. I drive my car in desert heat
every day. We have been over 110 for the last 9 days with 117 on Sat.
Enjoy your trip and try not to worry.
Scott

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.honda/
More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2008, 11:44 pm
breeze
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 03 Accord -100K mi. - upcoming road trip

On Jun 23, 4:14*am, ACAR <dimndsonmywnds...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 1:19 am, breeze <breeze...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > My 03 Accord 4cyl with 100k will be doing two road trips this summer
> > across the Arizona/California desert. It still has the original water
> > pump, hoses and plugs. Thinking about the following maintence before
> > heading out:
> > Water Pump
> > Coolant
> > thermostat
> > Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses
> > Fuel Filter
> > Oil Change
> > Serpentine Belt & tensioner
> > spark Plugs
> > transmission fluid
> > brake fluid

>
> > HAs anyone had a water pump go past 100k on these cars? Or the
> > serpentine belt and hoses? I'm impressed tehy ahve lasted so long -
> > interested in others experiences.

>
> Ask your dealer or shop about what's included in their complete timing
> belt replacement package (lots of the items on your list should be
> included and the timing belt, not on your list, is due for
> replacement).
> Hoses: a mechanic can tell you whether your hoses are OK.
> Yeah, the other items are routine maintenance and should be done. May
> as well change the power steering fluid and air filter while you're at
> it and a throttle body cleaning isn't a bad idea. How's the PCV valve?
> How old is the battery?
> You might also want to check the spare tire and be sure you have the
> tools (lug nut wrench) and ability to do it yourself.
> Enjoy the trip.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


Many thanks - as for the timing belt, the manual says "for 6 cylinder
model only" - I'm going to confirm that with the dealer tomorrow. I
think I'm not going to fix what's not broke. Water pump is solid, no
leaks and the belts are not fraying.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2008, 11:50 pm
breeze
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 03 Accord -100K mi. - upcoming road trip

On Jun 23, 7:12*pm, "zonie" <sjemoomaw@nospam> wrote:
> Hi, I live in Phoenix but only have 90,000 on my '03 4cyl Accord. I think
> Honda says 105,000 on the plugs and 7 years or 120,000 on coolant . I
> checked my coolant a few weeks ago. Still at factory specs. I even went so
> far as to drain my radiator down so I could look in at condition of the
> inside of the radiator. Shined a light in to see what looked like a brand
> new radiator, no deposits and no calcium build up. Honda coolant the best
> there is. My serpentine belt looks new. I drive my car in desert heat
> every day. We have been over 110 for the last 9 days with 117 on Sat.
> Enjoy your trip and try not to worry.
> * Scott
>
> --
> Message posted usinghttp://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.honda/
> More information athttp://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html


Yes, I dropped it at Earnhardt's this afternoon and decided to do just
that. The serpentine looked really good - no fraying or cracks. Water
pump has no leaks or noise- this is an awesome car and I can't believe
it's got 100 k and still solid as a rock. Bring on the heat!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What would you want to take with you on the ultimate road trip,if youcould make one ? Brett Honda 2 13 17 May 2008 08:16 pm
Any opinions on the upcoming 2008 Honda Accord? Car freak Honda Technical 3 05 Oct 2007 06:39 pm
What do you think of the upcoming 2009 Acura NSX? Car freak Acura Technical 5 25 Aug 2007 04:00 pm
Intake routing on the upcoming 4 seater Civic si Body Roll Honda 2 0 27 May 2006 10:46 am
Winter Road Trip Eddi Honda 2 1 17 Nov 2003 10:13 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.