Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jun 2008, 09:15 am
Chief_Billy@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Which Oil: 5W-20, or 5W-30 Semi-synth

I live/drive in Central Florida, where Summer temps average 85-95 max.
My dealer is
claiming that this is an ‘extreme’ climate condition and wanting to
use 5W-30 semi-synthetic blend oil, vs. the OEM recommended 5W-20, in
my ’08 CR-V. I disagree, and would like to know what others think.

FYI: I’ve driven my 01 Civic 250,000 highway miles in this climate
using the recommended 5W-20, and it STILL gets 38-40 mpg on I-95 at 70
mph.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jun 2008, 09:30 am
Dan C
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Which Oil: 5W-20, or 5W-30 Semi-synth

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 07:15:25 -0700, Chief_Billy wrote:

> I live/drive in Central Florida, where Summer temps average 85-95 max.
> My dealer is claiming that this is an 'extreme' climate condition
> and wanting to use 5W-30 semi-synthetic blend oil, vs. the OEM
> recommended 5W-20, in my '08 CR-V. I disagree, and would like to know
> what others think.


I think your dealer is an asshole, who's trying to make an extra buck by
selling you "semi-synthetic" oil that you don't need.

Tell him to **** off and put the 5W-20 in.


--
"Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jun 2008, 09:48 am
Tony Hwang
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Which Oil: 5W-20, or 5W-30 Semi-synth

Chief_Billy@hotmail.com wrote:
> I live/drive in Central Florida, where Summer temps average 85-95 max.
> My dealer is
> claiming that this is an ‘extreme’ climate condition and wanting to
> use 5W-30 semi-synthetic blend oil, vs. the OEM recommended 5W-20, in
> my ’08 CR-V. I disagree, and would like to know what others think.
>
> FYI: I’ve driven my 01 Civic 250,000 highway miles in this climate
> using the recommended 5W-20, and it STILL gets 38-40 mpg on I-95 at 70
> mph.

Hi,
Semi-synyhretic will last longer. Why not try it once and see?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jun 2008, 11:24 am
nick@nowhere.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Which Oil: 5W-20, or 5W-30 Semi-synth

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 14:48:24 GMT, Tony Hwang <dragon40@shaw.ca> wrote:

>Chief_Billy@hotmail.com wrote:
>> I live/drive in Central Florida, where Summer temps average 85-95 max.
>> My dealer is
>> claiming that this is an ‘extreme’ climate condition and wanting to
>> use 5W-30 semi-synthetic blend oil, vs. the OEM recommended 5W-20, in
>> my ’08 CR-V. I disagree, and would like to know what others think.
>>
>> FYI: I’ve driven my 01 Civic 250,000 highway miles in this climate
>> using the recommended 5W-20, and it STILL gets 38-40 mpg on I-95 at 70
>> mph.

>Hi,
>Semi-synyhretic will last longer. Why not try it once and see?



To a MM system it won't last any longer than having conventional oil
in it. Putting in synthetic or semi-synthetic oil is more of if you
want to than anything else.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jun 2008, 11:38 am
Boogie Woogie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Which Oil: 5W-20, or 5W-30 Semi-synth

<Chief_Billy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:c32f8a45-baf9-4b16-a051-3812dd0ee701@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
I live/drive in Central Florida, where Summer temps average 85-95 max.
My dealer is
claiming that this is an ‘extreme’ climate condition and wanting to
use 5W-30 semi-synthetic blend oil, vs. the OEM recommended 5W-20, in
my ’08 CR-V. I disagree, and would like to know what others think.

FYI: I’ve driven my 01 Civic 250,000 highway miles in this climate
using the recommended 5W-20, and it STILL gets 38-40 mpg on I-95 at 70
mph.



First rule for pilots: Always believe your instruments.

First rule for auto maintenance: Always do what the Owner's Manual says...


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jun 2008, 11:39 am
Dano58
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Which Oil: 5W-20, or 5W-30 Semi-synth

On Jun 10, 10:15 am, Chief_Bi...@hotmail.com wrote:
> I live/drive in Central Florida, where Summer temps average 85-95 max.
> My dealer is
> claiming that this is an ‘extreme’ climate condition and wanting to
> use 5W-30 semi-synthetic blend oil, vs. the OEM recommended 5W-20, in
> my ’08 CR-V. I disagree, and would like to know what others think.
>
> FYI: I’ve driven my 01 Civic 250,000 highway miles in this climate
> using the recommended 5W-20, and it STILL gets 38-40 mpg on I-95 at 70
> mph.


Dealer is full of crap. By his calculation, then, the entire East
Coast is an 'extreme climate'? Have himput in exactly what the
manufacturer recommends.

Dan D
'07 Ody EX
Central NJ USA
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jun 2008, 06:33 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Which Oil: 5W-20, or 5W-30 Semi-synth

Chief_Billy@hotmail.com wrote in news:c32f8a45-baf9-4b16-a051-3812dd0ee701
@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

> I live/drive in Central Florida, where Summer temps average 85-95 max.
> My dealer is
> claiming that this is an ‘extreme’ climate condition and wanting to
> use 5W-30 semi-synthetic blend oil, vs. the OEM recommended 5W-20, in
> my ’08 CR-V. I disagree, and would like to know what others think.
>
> FYI: I’ve driven my 01 Civic 250,000 highway miles in this climate
> using the recommended 5W-20, and it STILL gets 38-40 mpg on I-95 at 70
> mph.




What does Honda say?

Hint: The dealer is NOT Honda. Believe it or not.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jun 2008, 02:47 pm
Chief_Billy@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Which Oil: 5W-20, or 5W-30 Semi-synth

On Jun 10, 7:33*pm, Tegger <teg...@tegger.c0m> wrote:
> Chief_Bi...@hotmail.com wrote in news:c32f8a45-baf9-4b16-a051-3812dd0ee701
> @p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:
>
> > I live/drive in Central Florida, where Summer temps average 85-95 max.
> > My dealer is
> > claiming that this is an ‘extreme’ climate condition and wanting to
> > use 5W-30 semi-synthetic blend oil, vs. the OEM recommended 5W-20, in
> > my ’08 CR-V. I disagree, and would like to know what others think.

>
> > FYI: I’ve driven my 01 Civic 250,000 highway miles in this climate
> > using the recommended 5W-20, and it STILL gets 38-40 mpg on I-95 at 70
> > mph.

>
> What does Honda say?
>
> Hint: The dealer is NOT Honda. Believe it or not.
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/


I can't seem to find a method of contacting the Honda USA Help Desk
directly...
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jun 2008, 02:51 pm
Chief_Billy@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Which Oil: 5W-20, or 5W-30 Semi-synth

On Jun 10, 10:30*am, Dan C <youmustbejok...@lan.invalid> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 07:15:25 -0700, Chief_Billy wrote:
> > I live/drive in Central Florida, where Summer temps average 85-95 max.
> > My dealer is claiming that this is an 'extreme' climate condition
> > and wanting to use 5W-30 semi-synthetic blend oil, vs. the OEM
> > recommended 5W-20, in my '08 CR-V. I disagree, and would like to know
> > what others think.

>
> I think your dealer is an asshole, who's trying to make an extra buck by
> selling you "semi-synthetic" oil that you don't need.
>
> Tell him to **** off and put the 5W-20 in.
>
> --
> "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
> Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.
> The Usenet Improvement Project:http://improve-usenet.org


I think your right. In fact, I might just do the oil change myself and
document it to
fulfill the maintenance/warranty requirements.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jun 2008, 05:31 pm
howard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Which Oil: 5W-20, or 5W-30 Semi-synth

It's in your owners manual. But here ya go....800-999-1009

Howard
P.S If you send me an email I'll give you some important info on this topic.
Write to howardh1951athotmail.com
Substitute the at for @

<Chief_Billy@h
otmail.com> wrote in message
news:5a811e6f-30c8-4470-8f4c-0f7786a31b88@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...
On Jun 10, 7:33 pm, Tegger <teg...@tegger.c0m> wrote:
> Chief_Bi...@hotmail.com wrote in news:c32f8a45-baf9-4b16-a051-3812dd0ee701
> @p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:
>
> > I live/drive in Central Florida, where Summer temps average 85-95 max.
> > My dealer is
> > claiming that this is an ‘extreme’ climate condition and wanting to
> > use 5W-30 semi-synthetic blend oil, vs. the OEM recommended 5W-20, in
> > my ’08 CR-V. I disagree, and would like to know what others think.

>
> > FYI: I’ve driven my 01 Civic 250,000 highway miles in this climate
> > using the recommended 5W-20, and it STILL gets 38-40 mpg on I-95 at 70
> > mph.

>
> What does Honda say?
>
> Hint: The dealer is NOT Honda. Believe it or not.
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/


I can't seem to find a method of contacting the Honda USA Help Desk
directly...

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Differnces between ceramic and semi-metallic b dxmah Honda 1 2 10 Jun 2008 07:53 pm
should i get a t-50 turbo off an old semi...for a honda civic? monitary gain Honda Technical 2 19 Jan 2008 11:01 am
5-Speed Semi-Automatic Transmission Conversion? az_skulls Acura Technical 3 19 Aug 2007 02:28 pm
how many use synth oil? Dr Nick Honda 2 8 28 Oct 2006 12:19 pm
Honda Brand Synth Oil Venture Rider Acura 7 21 Aug 2006 11:50 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.