Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 30 Apr 2008, 08:52 pm
Sam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Torque Conveter Problem - 2000 Honda Accord

Hi Everyone,

I have 2000 Accord, it has been great car. Recently the Car starting
shifting very rough. I had a talked to a honda dealer on the phone, they
told me that in that year model it would be most likely Torque Converter,
and it is inside the Transmission and it would roughly cost 700 to 800
dollars. Any one had this problem with their accords, any advice you can
offer, and if you can share how much it cost to fix it.

Thanks So much


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01 May 2008, 12:02 am
motsco_
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Torque Conveter Problem - 2000 Honda Accord

Sam wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have 2000 Accord, it has been great car. Recently the Car starting
> shifting very rough. I had a talked to a honda dealer on the phone, they
> told me that in that year model it would be most likely Torque Converter,
> and it is inside the Transmission and it would roughly cost 700 to 800
> dollars. Any one had this problem with their accords, any advice you can
> offer, and if you can share how much it cost to fix it.
>
> Thanks So much


------------------------

We need to know your mileage and when you last changed the tranny fluid.
I wouldn't book an appointment at that dealer before doing lots of
research.

By the way, is there lots of coolant in your coolant reservoir? It
affects the shift points. How's your mileage been lately?

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01 May 2008, 08:22 am
motsco_
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Torque Conveter Problem - 2000 Honda Accord

Sam wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have 2000 Accord, it has been great car. Recently the Car starting
> shifting very rough. I had a talked to a honda dealer on the phone, they
> told me that in that year model it would be most likely Torque Converter,
> and it is inside the Transmission and it would roughly cost 700 to 800
> dollars. Any one had this problem with their accords, any advice you can
> offer, and if you can share how much it cost to fix it.
>
> Thanks So much


=============================
Another question about your 'rough shifting' problem: You didn't change
the tranny fluid and put in non-Honda Dexron, did you? That will do it.
The solution is to do three drain-n-fills with Honda Z1 and a short
drive in between. It's a DIY job if you have a place and a socket handle.

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02 May 2008, 01:46 pm
bi241@scn.org
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Torque Conveter Problem - 2000 Honda Accord

On Apr 30, 9:52 pm, "Sam" <rjaf...@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have 2000 Accord, it has been great car. Recently the Car starting
> shifting very rough. I had a talked to a honda dealer on the phone, they
> told me that in that year model it would be most likely Torque Converter,
> and it is inside the Transmission and it would roughly cost 700 to 800
> dollars. Any one had this problem with their accords, any advice you can
> offer, and if you can share how much it cost to fix it.
>
> Thanks So much


Rough shiftings can simply be the results of torn transmission mounts.
Check to make sure they are OK. Then check the fluid, drain and refill
if needed. Since your Accord is a 2000 model, you should use Honda Z1
ATF.

But if the rough shiftings come along with a harsh downshift to first
gear (when coasting to a stop) and the lockup clutch cycling (on and
off at cruising speed)
then the torque converter is defective.



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02 May 2008, 07:39 pm
Sam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Torque Conveter Problem - 2000 Honda Accord

Hi Curly,

It has 203,000 miles in it. I never changed the tranny oil, but I did fill
it up about 5000 miles ago. Coolant in the reservoir is low. All your
help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

"motsco_" <motsco_@interbaun.com> wrote in message
news:sNadnT-DEcAM04TVnZ2dnUVZ_tDinZ2d@uniservecommunications.. .
> Sam wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I have 2000 Accord, it has been great car. Recently the Car starting
>> shifting very rough. I had a talked to a honda dealer on the phone, they
>> told me that in that year model it would be most likely Torque Converter,
>> and it is inside the Transmission and it would roughly cost 700 to 800
>> dollars. Any one had this problem with their accords, any advice you can
>> offer, and if you can share how much it cost to fix it.
>>
>> Thanks So much

>
> ------------------------
>
> We need to know your mileage and when you last changed the tranny fluid. I
> wouldn't book an appointment at that dealer before doing lots of research.
>
> By the way, is there lots of coolant in your coolant reservoir? It affects
> the shift points. How's your mileage been lately?
>
> 'Curly'



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02 May 2008, 07:43 pm
Sam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Torque Conveter Problem - 2000 Honda Accord

Hi,

It is doing like you mentioned "But if the rough shiftings come along with a
harsh downshift to first
gear (when coasting to a stop) and the lockup clutch cycling (on and off at
cruising speed) then the torque converter is defective."

I talked to the Another Dealer, he told me that they dont just replace
Torque Converter, because there is too much electronics there. He told me
that I need to have whole Tranny Changed. Is this really true?

All your advic is appreciated greatly.

Thanks
<bi241@scn.org> wrote in message
news:6d647ae8-7184-40a0-81f6-8fc6bfb0f33b@i76g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
> On Apr 30, 9:52 pm, "Sam" <rjaf...@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I have 2000 Accord, it has been great car. Recently the Car starting
>> shifting very rough. I had a talked to a honda dealer on the phone, they
>> told me that in that year model it would be most likely Torque Converter,
>> and it is inside the Transmission and it would roughly cost 700 to 800
>> dollars. Any one had this problem with their accords, any advice you can
>> offer, and if you can share how much it cost to fix it.
>>
>> Thanks So much

>
> Rough shiftings can simply be the results of torn transmission mounts.
> Check to make sure they are OK. Then check the fluid, drain and refill
> if needed. Since your Accord is a 2000 model, you should use Honda Z1
> ATF.
>
> But if the rough shiftings come along with a harsh downshift to first
> gear (when coasting to a stop) and the lockup clutch cycling (on and
> off at cruising speed)
> then the torque converter is defective.
>
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02 May 2008, 08:00 pm
Sam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Torque Conveter Problem - 2000 Honda Accord

another this, with this problem, I had someone check the computer because
of check engine light, it gave 2 errors:
1) Torque Convertor Clutch Circuit Malfunction
2) Shift Solenoid A Malfunction

Anyone has any ideas?

Thanks> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have 2000 Accord, it has been great car. Recently the Car starting
> shifting very rough. I had a talked to a honda dealer on the phone, they
> told me that in that year model it would be most likely Torque Converter,
> and it is inside the Transmission and it would roughly cost 700 to 800
> dollars. Any one had this problem with their accords, any advice you can
> offer, and if you can share how much it cost to fix it.
>
> Thanks So much
>



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02 May 2008, 10:26 pm
bi241@scn.org
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Torque Conveter Problem - 2000 Honda Accord

On May 2, 9:00 pm, "Sam" <rjaf...@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
> another this, with this problem, I had someone check the computer because
> of check engine light, it gave 2 errors:
> 1) Torque Convertor Clutch Circuit Malfunction
> 2) Shift Solenoid A Malfunction
>
> Anyone has any ideas?
>
> Thanks


Hopefully the torque converter is mechanically sound and the problems
are electronics. I'm pretty sure that's what the former dealership has
in mind when they offer to fix it for only $700. The latter do what
most dealerships would do, they'll replace the whole tranny and it'll
cost you about $3,000 or more

i'm sure neither the former nor the latter will mess with the internal
parts of the transmission. If people want to fix things themselves the
dealers always have the parts they need. But no dealers are supposed
to overhaul anything.

I would go with the former dealer

> > I have 2000 Accord, it has been great car. Recently the Car starting
> > shifting very rough. I had a talked to a honda dealer on the phone, they
> > told me that in that year model it would be most likely Torque Converter,
> > and it is inside the Transmission and it would roughly cost 700 to 800
> > dollars. Any one had this problem with their accords, any advice you can
> > offer, and if you can share how much it cost to fix it.

>
> > Thanks So much



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02 May 2008, 10:29 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Torque Conveter Problem - 2000 Honda Accord

"Sam" <rjaffri@columbus.rr.com> wrote in
news:481bb3d8$0$31744$4c368faf@roadrunner.com:

> Hi,
>
> It is doing like you mentioned "But if the rough shiftings come along
> with a harsh downshift to first
> gear (when coasting to a stop) and the lockup clutch cycling (on and
> off at cruising speed) then the torque converter is defective."
>
> I talked to the Another Dealer, he told me that they dont just replace
> Torque Converter, because there is too much electronics there. He
> told me that I need to have whole Tranny Changed. Is this really
> true?
>
> All your advic is appreciated greatly.
>
> Thanks
><bi241@scn.org> wrote in message
> news:6d647ae8-7184-40a0-81f6-8fc6bfb0f33b@i76g2000hsf.googlegroups.com.
> ..
>> On Apr 30, 9:52 pm, "Sam" <rjaf...@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>>
>>> I have 2000 Accord, it has been great car. Recently the Car
>>> starting shifting very rough. I had a talked to a honda dealer on
>>> the phone, they told me that in that year model it would be most
>>> likely Torque Converter, and it is inside the Transmission and it
>>> would roughly cost 700 to 800 dollars. Any one had this problem
>>> with their accords, any advice you can offer, and if you can share
>>> how much it cost to fix it.
>>>
>>> Thanks So much

>>
>> Rough shiftings can simply be the results of torn transmission
>> mounts. Check to make sure they are OK. Then check the fluid, drain
>> and refill if needed. Since your Accord is a 2000 model, you should
>> use Honda Z1 ATF.
>>
>> But if the rough shiftings come along with a harsh downshift to first
>> gear (when coasting to a stop) and the lockup clutch cycling (on and
>> off at cruising speed)
>> then the torque converter is defective.


AFAIK,there's NO electronics in a torque converter;it's all in the
planetary gear shift solenoids.
fluid torque converters are just single stage hydraulic turbines.


you need to get that coolant level you mentioned in another post brought up
to proper levels and air bled out from the system;the coolant temp
sensor(CTS) needs to be fully immersed or it gives wrong temp readings to
the ECU.


--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02 May 2008, 10:33 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Torque Conveter Problem - 2000 Honda Accord

"Sam" <rjaffri@columbus.rr.com> wrote in
news:481bb7e9$0$31763$4c368faf@roadrunner.com:

> another this, with this problem, I had someone check the computer
> because of check engine light, it gave 2 errors:
> 1) Torque Convertor Clutch Circuit Malfunction
> 2) Shift Solenoid A Malfunction
>
> Anyone has any ideas?


I doubt it's anything you could fix yourself.
So,it's either a Honda dealer or other Honda-knowledgeable service shop.
Have you tried a transmission shop?
one that has a good Better Business Bureau rating...

>
> Thanks> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I have 2000 Accord, it has been great car. Recently the Car starting
>> shifting very rough. I had a talked to a honda dealer on the phone,
>> they told me that in that year model it would be most likely Torque
>> Converter, and it is inside the Transmission and it would roughly
>> cost 700 to 800 dollars. Any one had this problem with their
>> accords, any advice you can offer, and if you can share how much it
>> cost to fix it.
>>
>> Thanks So much
>>

>
>
>




--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which brand of cat back exhaust system would give the most horsepower and torque for a 2000... haveajackmoo Honda Technical 5 21 Oct 2007 07:36 am
how do you repair a Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction on a honda accord 2000? sdguy3235 Honda Technical 1 20 Aug 2007 06:04 am
accord torque conveter m.i.nutz Honda 1 0 12 Nov 2004 06:01 am
2000 Accord V6 ATF Plug Torque Spec doctormdds Honda 2 1 07 Oct 2003 10:21 pm
2000 Accord V6 Auto Trans Drain Plug Torque Stanley Maskas Honda 2 4 09 Aug 2003 05:10 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.