Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 29 Apr 2008, 11:55 am
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 98 Accord, Maint Rq'd light

'98 Accord

I just brought it back from the dealer and the Maint. Req'd light is on. It
wasn't when I took it there for radiator/coolant service. I read somewhere
that the light isn't related to any type of service, it's just a reminder
light that needs to be reset.

I'm not happy with my dealer at all and don't want to have to be without my
car for 24 hrs just to have the light reset.

I saw something recently that said to turn the key to the on position, press
the pedal to the floor three times within 7 secs, then turn to the off
position and start normally. It said the light should go off in a few secs.
I tried it, it seemed to go off for 1 sec and come back on. Tried it a few
times, same result. The article said to keep trying if it didn't work on
the first try.

Am I doing it right or wasting my time? I just need to reset the Maint
Req'd light without having to make a service appt a week from now and be
without my car again.


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 29 Apr 2008, 01:21 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 Accord, Maint Rq'd light

"Chuck" <sendmespam@thevolleyball.net> wrote in
news:ee-dnc7Qq-WozorVnZ2dnUVZ_oesnZ2d@comcast.com:

> '98 Accord
>
> I just brought it back from the dealer and the Maint. Req'd light is
> on. It wasn't when I took it there for radiator/coolant service. I
> read somewhere that the light isn't related to any type of service,
> it's just a reminder light that needs to be reset.
>
> I'm not happy with my dealer at all and don't want to have to be
> without my car for 24 hrs just to have the light reset.
>
> I saw something recently that said to turn the key to the on position,
> press the pedal to the floor three times within 7 secs, then turn to
> the off position and start normally. It said the light should go off
> in a few secs. I tried it, it seemed to go off for 1 sec and come back
> on. Tried it a few times, same result. The article said to keep
> trying if it didn't work on the first try.
>
> Am I doing it right or wasting my time? I just need to reset the
> Maint Req'd light without having to make a service appt a week from
> now and be without my car again.
>
>
>


do you have the Operators Manual? it probably has the info you seek.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 29 Apr 2008, 02:43 pm
ChrisB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 Accord, Maint Rq'd light

Jim Yanik wrote:
> "Chuck" <sendmespam@thevolleyball.net> wrote in
> news:ee-dnc7Qq-WozorVnZ2dnUVZ_oesnZ2d@comcast.com:
>
>> '98 Accord
>>
>> I just brought it back from the dealer and the Maint. Req'd light is
>> on. It wasn't when I took it there for radiator/coolant service. I
>> read somewhere that the light isn't related to any type of service,
>> it's just a reminder light that needs to be reset.
>>
>> I'm not happy with my dealer at all and don't want to have to be
>> without my car for 24 hrs just to have the light reset.
>>
>> I saw something recently that said to turn the key to the on position,
>> press the pedal to the floor three times within 7 secs, then turn to
>> the off position and start normally. It said the light should go off
>> in a few secs. I tried it, it seemed to go off for 1 sec and come back
>> on. Tried it a few times, same result. The article said to keep
>> trying if it didn't work on the first try.
>>
>> Am I doing it right or wasting my time? I just need to reset the
>> Maint Req'd light without having to make a service appt a week from
>> now and be without my car again.
>>
>>
>>

>
> do you have the Operators Manual? it probably has the info you seek.
>


Come on man, what if the OP purchased the car used, and did not receive
an owner's manual?

Then again this might work too: With the key off, hold down the trip
meter reset button. turn the key on and continue holding the reset
button in until the maintenance light goes off, about 10 seconds.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 29 Apr 2008, 03:04 pm
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 Accord, Maint Rq'd light

In article <ee-dnc7Qq-WozorVnZ2dnUVZ_oesnZ2d@comcast.com>,
"Chuck" <sendmespam@thevolleyball.net> wrote:

> I saw something recently that said to turn the key to the on position, press
> the pedal to the floor three times within 7 secs, then turn to the off
> position and start normally. It said the light should go off in a few secs.
> I tried it, it seemed to go off for 1 sec and come back on. Tried it a few
> times, same result. The article said to keep trying if it didn't work on
> the first try.


That was Click and Clack talking about how GM cars are built.

On your Honda, hold down the trip odometer reset button while turning
the car on. Keep it held down until the light goes off.

Voila.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 29 Apr 2008, 03:40 pm
Elle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 Accord, Maint Rq'd light

1. Turn off the engine.
2. Press and hold the select/reset button in the instrument
panel, then turn the ignition switch ON (II).
3. Hold the button for about ten seconds, until the
indicator resets.

From the 98 Accord Sedan's owner's manual at
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp, under
"Maintenance Required Indicator":


"Chuck" <sendmespam@thevolleyball.net> wrote
> '98 Accord
>
> I just brought it back from the dealer and the Maint.
> Req'd light is on. It wasn't when I took it there for
> radiator/coolant service. I read somewhere that the
> light isn't related to any type of service, it's just a
> reminder light that needs to be reset.
>
> I'm not happy with my dealer at all and don't want to
> have to be without my car for 24 hrs just to have the
> light reset.



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 29 Apr 2008, 05:39 pm
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 Accord, Maint Rq'd light

> Am I doing it right or wasting my time? I just need to reset the Maint
> Req'd light without having to make a service appt a week from now and be
> without my car again.


Thanks to those who responded positively. If I had the manual, I would have
checked there prior to asking here, Mr Yanik. If you have nothing to
contribute, zip it.

Worked as advertised, thanks to the helpful people.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 29 Apr 2008, 06:16 pm
motsco_
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 Accord, Maint Rq'd light

Chuck wrote:
>> Am I doing it right or wasting my time? I just need to reset the Maint
>> Req'd light without having to make a service appt a week from now and be
>> without my car again.

>
> Thanks to those who responded positively. If I had the manual, I would have
> checked there prior to asking here, Mr Yanik. If you have nothing to
> contribute, zip it.
>
> Worked as advertised, thanks to the helpful people.



=========================

Here's the FINE manual:

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...01_OMANUAL.asp

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 29 Apr 2008, 10:23 pm
bearman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 Accord, Maint Rq'd light


>> Thanks to those who responded positively. If I had the manual, I would
>> have
>> checked there prior to asking here, Mr Yanik. If you have nothing to
>> contribute, zip it.
>>


Every used car I've bought I was able to get an owner's manual, if not from
the seller then from a dealer. Sometimes it took some searching but I got
them. Show some spunk and try harder.

--
Bearman

If it's got tits, tires, transmissions, tubes, or transistors, it's
trouble.


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 30 Apr 2008, 06:53 am
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 Accord, Maint Rq'd light

"Chuck" <sendmespam@thevolleyball.net> wrote in
news:HeOdnV89PcYgPorVnZ2dnUVZ_qelnZ2d@comcast.com:

>> Am I doing it right or wasting my time? I just need to reset the
>> Maint Req'd light without having to make a service appt a week from
>> now and be without my car again.

>
> Thanks to those who responded positively. If I had the manual, I
> would have checked there prior to asking here, Mr Yanik. If you have
> nothing to contribute, zip it.


you would be surprised at how many DO have the manual but don't bother to
read it before asking questions.I note you didn't ask where you could FIND
a copy of the manual,either.
(I also posted only "RTM",not "RT-F-M",being civil.)


>
> Worked as advertised, thanks to the helpful people.
>
>
>




--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 30 Apr 2008, 09:45 am
motsco_
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 Accord, Maint Rq'd light

bearman wrote:
>>> Thanks to those who responded positively. If I had the manual, I would
>>> have
>>> checked there prior to asking here, Mr Yanik. If you have nothing to
>>> contribute, zip it.
>>>

>
> Every used car I've bought I was able to get an owner's manual, if not from
> the seller then from a dealer. Sometimes it took some searching but I got
> them. Show some spunk and try harder.


======================

They also sell them at wrecking yards for around $10, rather than $30.

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2001 honda civic trunk light, battery light and maint light are all on. What could it be ? Nathan T Honda Technical 3 08 Oct 2007 05:33 pm
97 Accord Engine Maint. light, on or off? Kraig Honda 3 5 24 Jan 2007 09:39 pm
How to reset maint. light on 2005 Accord? I am I Honda 2 4 30 May 2006 11:48 am
Maint Light PMS Honda 3 9 20 May 2005 06:23 am
Maint. req. light Dave Spada Honda 3 3 04 Apr 2004 08:13 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.