Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05 Apr 2008, 01:00 pm
penthor_mul@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 2003 Accord Throttle Surging Problem/P0505

My 2003 Accord is experiencing a throttle surge problem similar to
what I have read about in this ng. 6 cyl. No other apparent
problems. 120K on plugs. 27mpg.

It warms up OK. Then it begins surging between 1000rpms to 2000rpms.
Up and down continuously surging. It happens when it's sitting still
or when being driven. Cruise on or off doesn't make a difference.
Using an Actron code reader I get a "pending" P0505 (Idle Control
System Malfunction) which seems reasonable. I don't know where to
start to address this problem. Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Penthor
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05 Apr 2008, 01:39 pm
motsco_
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2003 Accord Throttle Surging Problem/P0505

penthor_mul@yahoo.com wrote:
> My 2003 Accord is experiencing a throttle surge problem similar to
> what I have read about in this ng. 6 cyl. No other apparent
> problems. 120K on plugs. 27mpg.
>
> It warms up OK. Then it begins surging between 1000rpms to 2000rpms.
> Up and down continuously surging. It happens when it's sitting still
> or when being driven. Cruise on or off doesn't make a difference.
> Using an Actron code reader I get a "pending" P0505 (Idle Control
> System Malfunction) which seems reasonable. I don't know where to
> start to address this problem. Any advice would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Penthor


======================

(since you're supposed to check this part anyhow) The first (cheapest)
place to start is your cooling system. Just make sure there's coolant up
to the underside of the rad cap and the reservoir should be filled up to
the MAX mark. Once the engine is warm it preheats the throttle body (and
several computer sensors) with hot coolant so it can screw up your idle
if there's AIR in the system.

Honda premix is a safe one.

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05 Apr 2008, 01:45 pm
Tony Hwang
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2003 Accord Throttle Surging Problem/P0505

penthor_mul@yahoo.com wrote:
> My 2003 Accord is experiencing a throttle surge problem similar to
> what I have read about in this ng. 6 cyl. No other apparent
> problems. 120K on plugs. 27mpg.
>
> It warms up OK. Then it begins surging between 1000rpms to 2000rpms.
> Up and down continuously surging. It happens when it's sitting still
> or when being driven. Cruise on or off doesn't make a difference.
> Using an Actron code reader I get a "pending" P0505 (Idle Control
> System Malfunction) which seems reasonable. I don't know where to
> start to address this problem. Any advice would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Penthor

Hi,
ICS is basically a variable resistor. Poor connection, dirt build up is
known for causing trouble. You can check it's operation with a
multimeter manually moving it if you undertand what mean.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05 Apr 2008, 04:20 pm
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2003 Accord Throttle Surging Problem/P0505

In article
<55e2e307-92a9-4d42-9c47-3951efc2ac09@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
penthor_mul@yahoo.com wrote:

> My 2003 Accord is experiencing a throttle surge problem similar to
> what I have read about in this ng. 6 cyl. No other apparent
> problems. 120K on plugs. 27mpg.
>
> It warms up OK. Then it begins surging between 1000rpms to 2000rpms.
> Up and down continuously surging. It happens when it's sitting still
> or when being driven. Cruise on or off doesn't make a difference.
> Using an Actron code reader I get a "pending" P0505 (Idle Control
> System Malfunction) which seems reasonable. I don't know where to
> start to address this problem. Any advice would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Penthor


Idle air control valve?

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05 Apr 2008, 06:45 pm
penthor_mul@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2003 Accord Throttle Surging Problem/P0505

On Apr 5, 12:39 pm, motsco_ <mots...@interbaun.com> wrote:
> penthor_...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > My 2003 Accord is experiencing a throttle surge problem similar to
> > what I have read about in this ng. 6 cyl. No other apparent
> > problems. 120K on plugs. 27mpg.

>
> > It warms up OK. Then it begins surging between 1000rpms to 2000rpms.
> > Up and down continuously surging. It happens when it's sitting still
> > or when being driven. Cruise on or off doesn't make a difference.
> > Using an Actron code reader I get a "pending" P0505 (Idle Control
> > System Malfunction) which seems reasonable. I don't know where to
> > start to address this problem. Any advice would be greatly
> > appreciated.

>
> > Penthor

>
> ======================
>
> (since you're supposed to check this part anyhow) The first (cheapest)
> place to start is your cooling system. Just make sure there's coolant up
> to the underside of the rad cap and the reservoir should be filled up to
> the MAX mark. Once the engine is warm it preheats the throttle body (and
> several computer sensors) with hot coolant so it can screw up your idle
> if there's AIR in the system.
>
> Honda premix is a safe one.
>
> 'Curly'


Coolant level is full.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05 Apr 2008, 06:48 pm
penthor_mul@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2003 Accord Throttle Surging Problem/P0505

On Apr 5, 12:45 pm, Tony Hwang <drago...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> penthor_...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > My 2003 Accord is experiencing a throttle surge problem similar to
> > what I have read about in this ng. 6 cyl. No other apparent
> > problems. 120K on plugs. 27mpg.

>
> > It warms up OK. Then it begins surging between 1000rpms to 2000rpms.
> > Up and down continuously surging. It happens when it's sitting still
> > or when being driven. Cruise on or off doesn't make a difference.
> > Using an Actron code reader I get a "pending" P0505 (Idle Control
> > System Malfunction) which seems reasonable. I don't know where to
> > start to address this problem. Any advice would be greatly
> > appreciated.

>
> > Penthor

>
> Hi,
> ICS is basically a variable resistor. Poor connection, dirt build up is
> known for causing trouble. You can check it's operation with a
> multimeter manually moving it if you undertand what mean.


I checked all the connections I could find. They were pretty clean.
I'm not sure what you mean about checking the "ICS" with a
multimeter. Do you mean one of the sensors? Which one and exactly
how would I check it?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05 Apr 2008, 06:58 pm
penthor_mul@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2003 Accord Throttle Surging Problem/P0505

On Apr 5, 3:20 pm, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <el...@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
> In article
> <55e2e307-92a9-4d42-9c47-3951efc2a...@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
>
> penthor_...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > My 2003 Accord is experiencing a throttle surge problem similar to
> > what I have read about in this ng. 6 cyl. No other apparent
> > problems. 120K on plugs. 27mpg.

>
> > It warms up OK. Then it begins surging between 1000rpms to 2000rpms.
> > Up and down continuously surging. It happens when it's sitting still
> > or when being driven. Cruise on or off doesn't make a difference.
> > Using an Actron code reader I get a "pending" P0505 (Idle Control
> > System Malfunction) which seems reasonable. I don't know where to
> > start to address this problem. Any advice would be greatly
> > appreciated.

>
> > Penthor

>
> Idle air control valve?


That's where I am now. I read on another site that the IAC valve
controls the idle before the engine warms up, and the MAP sensor
controls the idle before the engine warms up. I tried to remove the
IAC valve to clean it as I read elsewhere. The 2 screws are very soft
metal and I'm afraid of stripping them out. So I'm planning on
removing the throttle body to better access them.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05 Apr 2008, 07:14 pm
penthor_mul@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2003 Accord Throttle Surging Problem/P0505

On Apr 5, 5:58 pm, penthor_...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Apr 5, 3:20 pm, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <el...@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > In article
> > <55e2e307-92a9-4d42-9c47-3951efc2a...@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,

>
> > penthor_...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > > My 2003 Accord is experiencing a throttle surge problem similar to
> > > what I have read about in this ng. 6 cyl. No other apparent
> > > problems. 120K on plugs. 27mpg.

>
> > > It warms up OK. Then it begins surging between 1000rpms to 2000rpms.
> > > Up and down continuously surging. It happens when it's sitting still
> > > or when being driven. Cruise on or off doesn't make a difference.
> > > Using an Actron code reader I get a "pending" P0505 (Idle Control
> > > System Malfunction) which seems reasonable. I don't know where to
> > > start to address this problem. Any advice would be greatly
> > > appreciated.

>
> > > Penthor

>
> > Idle air control valve?

>
> That's where I am now. I read on another site that the IAC valve
> controls the idle before the engine warms up, and the MAP sensor
> controls the idle before the engine warms up. I tried to remove the
> IAC valve to clean it as I read elsewhere. The 2 screws are very soft
> metal and I'm afraid of stripping them out. So I'm planning on
> removing the throttle body to better access them.


Actually, the MAP sensor controls idle after warm up.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06 Apr 2008, 12:02 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2003 Accord Throttle Surging Problem/P0505

penthor_mul@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Apr 5, 5:58 pm, penthor_...@yahoo.com wrote:
>> On Apr 5, 3:20 pm, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <el...@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>> In article
>>> <55e2e307-92a9-4d42-9c47-3951efc2a...@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
>>> penthor_...@yahoo.com wrote:
>>>> My 2003 Accord is experiencing a throttle surge problem similar to
>>>> what I have read about in this ng. 6 cyl. No other apparent
>>>> problems. 120K on plugs. 27mpg.
>>>> It warms up OK. Then it begins surging between 1000rpms to 2000rpms.
>>>> Up and down continuously surging. It happens when it's sitting still
>>>> or when being driven. Cruise on or off doesn't make a difference.
>>>> Using an Actron code reader I get a "pending" P0505 (Idle Control
>>>> System Malfunction) which seems reasonable. I don't know where to
>>>> start to address this problem. Any advice would be greatly
>>>> appreciated.
>>>> Penthor
>>> Idle air control valve?

>> That's where I am now. I read on another site that the IAC valve
>> controls the idle before the engine warms up, and the MAP sensor
>> controls the idle before the engine warms up. I tried to remove the
>> IAC valve to clean it as I read elsewhere. The 2 screws are very soft
>> metal and I'm afraid of stripping them out. So I'm planning on
>> removing the throttle body to better access them.

>
> Actually, the MAP sensor controls idle after warm up.



no it doesn't - that source is wrong. the iacv controls idle - idle air
control. the map sensor is part of the input the computer uses to
compute idle values, but it doesn't control the idle system in any other
way.

if you're getting the iacv code, you need to test it per the honda
manual. helminc.com.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06 Apr 2008, 12:03 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2003 Accord Throttle Surging Problem/P0505

penthor_mul@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Apr 5, 3:20 pm, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <el...@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
>> In article
>> <55e2e307-92a9-4d42-9c47-3951efc2a...@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>> penthor_...@yahoo.com wrote:
>>> My 2003 Accord is experiencing a throttle surge problem similar to
>>> what I have read about in this ng. 6 cyl. No other apparent
>>> problems. 120K on plugs. 27mpg.
>>> It warms up OK. Then it begins surging between 1000rpms to 2000rpms.
>>> Up and down continuously surging. It happens when it's sitting still
>>> or when being driven. Cruise on or off doesn't make a difference.
>>> Using an Actron code reader I get a "pending" P0505 (Idle Control
>>> System Malfunction) which seems reasonable. I don't know where to
>>> start to address this problem. Any advice would be greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>> Penthor

>> Idle air control valve?

>
> That's where I am now. I read on another site that the IAC valve
> controls the idle before the engine warms up, and the MAP sensor
> controls the idle before the engine warms up. I tried to remove the
> IAC valve to clean it as I read elsewhere. The 2 screws are very soft
> metal and I'm afraid of stripping them out. So I'm planning on
> removing the throttle body to better access them.


the iacv is a honking great water heated valve mechanism built into the
air intake, not the throttle body. and it's held on with bolts, not
soft metal screws.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
96 accord surging at cruise throttle MajBach Honda 2 8 30 May 2007 08:28 pm
2005 CRV diesel intermittent problem losing revs/throttle??? 200and Honda 2 0 05 Mar 2007 01:28 am
throttle position sensor 1990 Civic - can't remove, just replace throttle body? dex3703 Honda 2 4 29 Jan 2007 03:37 pm
2003 CRV Throttle Position Sensor cms Honda 2 3 13 Jan 2007 12:36 am
92 Honda Accord Jerking/Surging Problem LoveMyHonda Honda 2 3 15 Jun 2005 11:36 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.