Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 25 Mar 2008, 08:33 pm
JACK
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 96 Passport V6 won't start

I thought it was the starter so I changed it out. Battery is full. When
the key is turned, The inside relay clicks, I've changed out the relay in
the engine compartment. I've checked the fuse in the fuse panel. It's
almost like the power is never getting all the way to the starter. All
other aspects look good from what I've checked.

Any ideas? Please help, really can't afford a shop, but need it quickly.


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 25 Mar 2008, 09:19 pm
Tony Hwang
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 96 Passport V6 won't start

JACK wrote:

> I thought it was the starter so I changed it out. Battery is full. When
> the key is turned, The inside relay clicks, I've changed out the relay in
> the engine compartment. I've checked the fuse in the fuse panel. It's
> almost like the power is never getting all the way to the starter. All
> other aspects look good from what I've checked.
>
> Any ideas? Please help, really can't afford a shop, but need it quickly.
>
>

Hi,
If you think that, then how about checking the battery cables to make
sure they are in good shape making an good connection.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 25 Mar 2008, 10:49 pm
JACK
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 96 Passport V6 won't start

Yeah I've checked that too. And BTW, I've also run the gear shifter
through all settings while trying the ignition just to see if it was that
switch. Nothing.

I just don't get it.

Thanks
Jack




"Tony Hwang" <dragon40@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:uwhGj.122457$pM4.85174@pd7urf1no...
> JACK wrote:
>
>> I thought it was the starter so I changed it out. Battery is full.
>> When the key is turned, The inside relay clicks, I've changed out the
>> relay in the engine compartment. I've checked the fuse in the fuse
>> panel. It's almost like the power is never getting all the way to the
>> starter. All other aspects look good from what I've checked.
>>
>> Any ideas? Please help, really can't afford a shop, but need it
>> quickly.

> Hi,
> If you think that, then how about checking the battery cables to make sure
> they are in good shape making an good connection.



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 25 Mar 2008, 11:10 pm
Tony Hwang
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 96 Passport V6 won't start

JACK wrote:

> Yeah I've checked that too. And BTW, I've also run the gear shifter
> through all settings while trying the ignition just to see if it was that
> switch. Nothing.
>
> I just don't get it.
>
> Thanks
> Jack
>
>
>
>
> "Tony Hwang" <dragon40@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> news:uwhGj.122457$pM4.85174@pd7urf1no...
>
>>JACK wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I thought it was the starter so I changed it out. Battery is full.
>>>When the key is turned, The inside relay clicks, I've changed out the
>>>relay in the engine compartment. I've checked the fuse in the fuse
>>>panel. It's almost like the power is never getting all the way to the
>>>starter. All other aspects look good from what I've checked.
>>>
>>>Any ideas? Please help, really can't afford a shop, but need it
>>>quickly.

>>
>>Hi,
>>If you think that, then how about checking the battery cables to make sure
>>they are in good shape making an good connection.

>
>
>

Hi,
When is the last time the car ran? Some starter has a solenoid. If
solenoid contact(s) is pitted or burnt bad it won'r turn over.
Relay enetrgizes solenoid which pass the high current juice to the
starter motor. Or if pinion gear from motor does not kick ot to engage
fly wheel....
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 25 Mar 2008, 11:49 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 96 Passport V6 won't start

"JACK" <totallc@mindspring.com> wrote in
news:13ujeduo94dl22b@corp.supernews.com:

> Yeah I've checked that too. And BTW, I've also run the gear shifter
> through all settings while trying the ignition just to see if it was
> that switch. Nothing.
>
> I just don't get it.
>
> Thanks
> Jack
>
>
>
>
> "Tony Hwang" <dragon40@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> news:uwhGj.122457$pM4.85174@pd7urf1no...
>> JACK wrote:
>>
>>> I thought it was the starter so I changed it out. Battery is full.
>>> When the key is turned, The inside relay clicks, I've changed out
>>> the relay in the engine compartment. I've checked the fuse in the
>>> fuse panel. It's almost like the power is never getting all the
>>> way to the starter. All other aspects look good from what I've
>>> checked.
>>>
>>> Any ideas? Please help, really can't afford a shop, but need it
>>> quickly.

>> Hi,
>> If you think that, then how about checking the battery cables to make
>> sure they are in good shape making an good connection.

>
>
>


I guess you have to use a meter or test light to trace back from the
starter solenoid to see where you lose the 12v from the ignition switch.

It might be a worn ignition switch,or the main relay is bad.
(that can be resoldered,if you know how to solder)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 25 Mar 2008, 11:53 pm
Dave and Trudy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 96 Passport V6 won't start


"JACK" <totallc@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:13uj6foehhtkged@corp.supernews.com...
>I thought it was the starter so I changed it out. Battery is full. When
>the key is turned, The inside relay clicks, I've changed out the relay in
>the engine compartment. I've checked the fuse in the fuse panel. It's
>almost like the power is never getting all the way to the starter. All
>other aspects look good from what I've checked.
>
> Any ideas? Please help, really can't afford a shop, but need it quickly.

How about a voltage drop test. Measure the voltage at the starter with the
key in the run posn. You should read 12v or close thereunto. Have a helper
crank the engine (or use a remote starter switch) and watch the voltage.
Should drop significantly, say to 3-4v (if I remember correctly). If the
voltage stays high, up around 8-9v or more, then you have some parasitic
resistance in the circuit. As Tony posted, then check the cable connections
at the battery, the connections at the other end, at the starter, that is,
and lastly check the condition of the cables themselves. A badly corroded
cable with only a few strands still conducting will cause slow cranking or
no cranking at all....

Dave D


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 29 Mar 2008, 11:01 am
w
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 96 Passport V6 won't start

On Mar 25, 8:53*pm, "Dave and Trudy" <dtdod...@acsalaska.net> wrote:
> "JACK" <tota...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>
> news:13uj6foehhtkged@corp.supernews.com...>I thought it was the starter soI changed it out. *Battery is full. * When
> >the key is turned, The inside relay clicks, I've changed out the relay in
> >the engine compartment. * I've checked the fuse in the fuse panel. * It's
> >almost like the power is never getting all the way to the starter. * All
> >other aspects look good from what I've checked.

>
> > Any ideas? * Please help, really can't afford a shop, but need it quickly.

>
> How about a voltage drop test. Measure the voltage at the starter with the
> key in the run posn. You should read 12v or close thereunto. Have a helper
> crank the engine (or use a remote starter switch) and watch the voltage.
> Should drop significantly, say to 3-4v (if I remember correctly). If the
> voltage stays high, up around 8-9v or more, then you have some parasitic
> resistance in the circuit. As Tony posted, then check the cable connections
> at the battery, the connections at the other end, at the starter, that is,
> and lastly check the condition of the cables themselves. A badly corroded
> cable with only a few strands still conducting will cause slow cranking or
> no cranking at all....
>
> Dave D


new battery next

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01 Apr 2008, 08:51 am
JACK
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 96 Passport V6 won't start

Ok, its fixed. It had two problems. The starter was indeed bad. I
changed it out with a new one and checked the old > dead. The second
problem was the after market alarm system. Somehow it got fried and was
interrupting the start circuit. I'm guessing that there was some sort of an
electrical surge in the system that caused both problems. All that
matters, it that its back on the road again.

Thanks to everyone for your ideas. They were each very much appreciated.

Jack


"w" <wp51dos@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:756e60ac-a8e1-48bd-8ddf-458a29fc077e@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
On Mar 25, 8:53 pm, "Dave and Trudy" <dtdod...@acsalaska.net> wrote:
> "JACK" <tota...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>
> news:13uj6foehhtkged@corp.supernews.com...>I thought it was the starter so
> I changed it out. Battery is full. When
> >the key is turned, The inside relay clicks, I've changed out the relay in
> >the engine compartment. I've checked the fuse in the fuse panel. It's
> >almost like the power is never getting all the way to the starter. All
> >other aspects look good from what I've checked.

>
> > Any ideas? Please help, really can't afford a shop, but need it quickly.

>
> How about a voltage drop test. Measure the voltage at the starter with the
> key in the run posn. You should read 12v or close thereunto. Have a helper
> crank the engine (or use a remote starter switch) and watch the voltage.
> Should drop significantly, say to 3-4v (if I remember correctly). If the
> voltage stays high, up around 8-9v or more, then you have some parasitic
> resistance in the circuit. As Tony posted, then check the cable
> connections
> at the battery, the connections at the other end, at the starter, that is,
> and lastly check the condition of the cables themselves. A badly corroded
> cable with only a few strands still conducting will cause slow cranking or
> no cranking at all....
>
> Dave D


new battery next


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I 1997 honda passport, I drove the car last Friday.Today the doen't start I check the koo .e. k Honda Technical 2 05 Nov 2007 08:16 pm
My Honda accord 2001 car does not start even if I jump start it, what could be the problem? Surie Honda Technical 0 03 Oct 2007 02:40 pm
Will a 2000 back glass for a Honda Passport fit a 2002 Honda Passport? I'm being told it Kim T Honda Technical 2 26 Aug 2007 10:18 am
1997 Passport won't start,clicks, and sometimes takes an hour to start Cozy Honda 3 0 21 Feb 2004 04:03 pm
1996 Passport EX 4x4-Transmission Slipping on fast start Walter Honda 2 0 30 Sep 2003 08:04 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.