Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 14 Mar 2008, 01:34 pm
really real
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Prelude 7 year old timing belt

I got some good advice here about my '01 Prelude which apparently now
needs a new timing belt because they decay with age, not mileage. I've
gone less than 55,000 km.

I found a mechanic who will do it for a reasonable price, considering
it's a four hour job, but he doesn't want to, thinking it's unnecessary.

Is there a school of thought that says we can ignore the age of a timing
belt? Just what happens to a car if the timing belt breaks?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 14 Mar 2008, 02:35 pm
E Meyer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Prelude 7 year old timing belt




On 3/14/08 12:34 PM, in article 7HyCj.86857$w94.49814@pd7urf2no, "really
real" <reallyreal@shaw.ca> wrote:

> I got some good advice here about my '01 Prelude which apparently now
> needs a new timing belt because they decay with age, not mileage. I've
> gone less than 55,000 km.
>
> I found a mechanic who will do it for a reasonable price, considering
> it's a four hour job, but he doesn't want to, thinking it's unnecessary.
>
> Is there a school of thought that says we can ignore the age of a timing
> belt? Just what happens to a car if the timing belt breaks?


It is an interference engine, which means the valves can interfere with the
pistons. It the belt breaks while the engine is running, it is highly
likely that some of the pistons will hit valves, bending them or damaging
the piston. Very expensive repair compared to preventatively replacing the
belt.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 14 Mar 2008, 03:11 pm
Dave Garrett
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Prelude 7 year old timing belt

In article <7HyCj.86857$w94.49814@pd7urf2no>, reallyreal@shaw.ca says...

> I got some good advice here about my '01 Prelude which apparently now
> needs a new timing belt because they decay with age, not mileage. I've
> gone less than 55,000 km.
>
> I found a mechanic who will do it for a reasonable price, considering
> it's a four hour job, but he doesn't want to, thinking it's unnecessary.
>
> Is there a school of thought that says we can ignore the age of a timing
> belt? Just what happens to a car if the timing belt breaks?


What does the owner's manual say? I'd bet it says replace every xxxxx
miles OR x years, whichever comes first.

7 years is old for a timing belt. As someone else already pointed out,
it's a lot cheaper to replace a t-belt than it is to replace your valves
when the t-belt breaks. Sounds like you also need to find a new mechanic
that's better-informed about Hondas.

Dave


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 14 Mar 2008, 03:33 pm
MLD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Prelude 7 year old timing belt


"Dave Garrett" <dave@compassnet.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.224489d68e3f0d7298a21c@207.14.116.130...
> In article <7HyCj.86857$w94.49814@pd7urf2no>, reallyreal@shaw.ca says...
>
>> I got some good advice here about my '01 Prelude which apparently now
>> needs a new timing belt because they decay with age, not mileage. I've
>> gone less than 55,000 km.
>>
>> I found a mechanic who will do it for a reasonable price, considering
>> it's a four hour job, but he doesn't want to, thinking it's unnecessary.
>>
>> Is there a school of thought that says we can ignore the age of a timing
>> belt? Just what happens to a car if the timing belt breaks?

>
> What does the owner's manual say? I'd bet it says replace every xxxxx
> miles OR x years, whichever comes first.
>
> 7 years is old for a timing belt. As someone else already pointed out,
> it's a lot cheaper to replace a t-belt than it is to replace your valves
> when the t-belt breaks. Sounds like you also need to find a new mechanic
> that's better-informed about Hondas.
>
> Dave
>
>

Agree, had mine done at 50,000 mi and 7 yrs. As noted, either one, mileage
or time, is the criteria.
MLD

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 14 Mar 2008, 06:16 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Prelude 7 year old timing belt

really real <reallyreal@shaw.ca> wrote in
news:7HyCj.86857$w94.49814@pd7urf2no:

> I got some good advice here about my '01 Prelude which apparently now
> needs a new timing belt because they decay with age, not mileage. I've
> gone less than 55,000 km.
>
> I found a mechanic who will do it for a reasonable price, considering
> it's a four hour job, but he doesn't want to, thinking it's unnecessary.
>
> Is there a school of thought that says we can ignore the age of a timing
> belt? Just what happens to a car if the timing belt breaks?
>


Some engine have the valves crash into the piston heads;bent valves,broken
conn.rods,damaged pistons...not very good.they are called "interference"
engines.

my 94 Integra GS-R never had it's timing belt changed,unless the theives
who stole it June 07 changed it before they put it in one of their cars.
The car only had 59K miles on it.

I hope they didn't and it broke on them.
I also hope they contract incurable illnesses,preferably disfiguring ones.
I hope someone catches them stealing and shoots them dead.I curse them.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 14 Mar 2008, 08:55 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Prelude 7 year old timing belt

really real wrote:
> I got some good advice here about my '01 Prelude which apparently now
> needs a new timing belt because they decay with age, not mileage. I've
> gone less than 55,000 km.
>
> I found a mechanic who will do it for a reasonable price, considering
> it's a four hour job, but he doesn't want to, thinking it's unnecessary.
>
> Is there a school of thought that says we can ignore the age of a timing
> belt? Just what happens to a car if the timing belt breaks?


dude, learn to cross post. then you'll see the answers from both groups
at the same time.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 14 Mar 2008, 10:18 pm
ident
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Prelude 7 year old timing belt

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, Dave Garrett wrote:

>In article <7HyCj.86857$w94.49814@pd7urf2no>, reallyreal@shaw.ca says...
>
>> I got some good advice here about my '01 Prelude which apparently now
>> needs a new timing belt because they decay with age, not mileage. I've
>> gone less than 55,000 km.
>>
>> I found a mechanic who will do it for a reasonable price, considering
>> it's a four hour job, but he doesn't want to, thinking it's unnecessary.
>>
>> Is there a school of thought that says we can ignore the age of a timing
>> belt? Just what happens to a car if the timing belt breaks?

>
>What does the owner's manual say? I'd bet it says replace every xxxxx
>miles OR x years, whichever comes first.
>
>7 years is old for a timing belt. As someone else already pointed out,
>it's a lot cheaper to replace a t-belt than it is to replace your valves
>when the t-belt breaks. Sounds like you also need to find a new mechanic
>that's better-informed about Hondas.
>
>Dave


I've yet to replace the timing belt on my 98 Civic (45K miles). Yes,
I'm overdue. Last week, a Honda dealer gave me estimates for the job:

$105.38 water pump
56.85 timing belt
18.51 alt belt
21.92 compressor belt
20.54 p.s. pump
13.83 gasket, cyl hd cvr
12.92 coolant typ2 blue
--------
249.95 parts total
402.70 labor
9.88 environmental fee
25.00 shop supplies
------
704.15 total

Sound reasonable? heh
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 14 Mar 2008, 10:23 pm
ident
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Prelude 7 year old timing belt

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, ident wrote:

>20.54 p.s. pump


Correction--should read p.s. pump belt.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 14 Mar 2008, 10:27 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Prelude 7 year old timing belt

ident wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, Dave Garrett wrote:
>
>> In article <7HyCj.86857$w94.49814@pd7urf2no>, reallyreal@shaw.ca says...
>>
>>> I got some good advice here about my '01 Prelude which apparently now
>>> needs a new timing belt because they decay with age, not mileage. I've
>>> gone less than 55,000 km.
>>>
>>> I found a mechanic who will do it for a reasonable price, considering
>>> it's a four hour job, but he doesn't want to, thinking it's unnecessary.
>>>
>>> Is there a school of thought that says we can ignore the age of a timing
>>> belt? Just what happens to a car if the timing belt breaks?

>> What does the owner's manual say? I'd bet it says replace every xxxxx
>> miles OR x years, whichever comes first.
>>
>> 7 years is old for a timing belt. As someone else already pointed out,
>> it's a lot cheaper to replace a t-belt than it is to replace your valves
>> when the t-belt breaks. Sounds like you also need to find a new mechanic
>> that's better-informed about Hondas.
>>
>> Dave

>
> I've yet to replace the timing belt on my 98 Civic (45K miles). Yes,
> I'm overdue. Last week, a Honda dealer gave me estimates for the job:
>
> $105.38 water pump


majestic honda has that at a full retail price of $88, or $61
discounted. i think you need to call around other dealers.


> 56.85 timing belt
> 18.51 alt belt
> 21.92 compressor belt
> 20.54 p.s. pump
> 13.83 gasket, cyl hd cvr
> 12.92 coolant typ2 blue
> --------
> 249.95 parts total
> 402.70 labor
> 9.88 environmental fee
> 25.00 shop supplies
> ------
> 704.15 total
>
> Sound reasonable? heh

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 14 Mar 2008, 11:45 pm
Dave Garrett
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Prelude 7 year old timing belt

In article <k5bmt3127bhg3q7j1lvj99njhnl5toe5er@4ax.com>, asdf@asdf.edu
says...

> I've yet to replace the timing belt on my 98 Civic (45K miles). Yes,
> I'm overdue. Last week, a Honda dealer gave me estimates for the job:
>
> $105.38 water pump
> 56.85 timing belt
> 18.51 alt belt
> 21.92 compressor belt
> 20.54 p.s. pump
> 13.83 gasket, cyl hd cvr
> 12.92 coolant typ2 blue
> --------
> 249.95 parts total
> 402.70 labor
> 9.88 environmental fee
> 25.00 shop supplies
> ------
> 704.15 total
>
> Sound reasonable? heh


$400 sounds way high on labor to me. So does $25 for "shop supplies".
I've had a t-belt and water pump replaced on my CRX before for under
$500 total. I believe the same work on my V6 Accord was a bit more. I've
also seen some posts here in the past with wildly varying estimates for
t-belt replacement. You need to comparison shop several more places
before deciding what's reasonable.

Dave


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
89 Prelude Si Timing Belt outlawedkustomz Honda Technical 0 31 Jan 2008 02:36 am
prelude 89 2.0 si timing belt broke now what? IN WASHINGTON Honda Technical 3 30 Sep 2007 03:46 pm
1995 Prelude SE timing belt Andy M. Honda 2 4 11 Jun 2006 10:19 pm
Prelude timing belt Jordy Honda 1 2 13 Feb 2005 10:46 am
Does the 98 prelude have a timing belt? Tjacobs Honda 3 1 04 Jun 2004 02:24 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.