Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 25 Feb 2008, 10:37 pm
jim_l
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 1991 Accord--tach goes to "0" when I turn lights or heat on

I have a 1991 Accord with a 5spd F20A SOHC motor that is having problems
today. I woke up to take kids to school and car was dead. Car was not
started for 5 days and my wife said that yesterday she heard the cooling fan
running in the garage. Garage is heated to 55 degrees. So, I jumped the car
and idle was fluctuating and car was running very "choppy". When I hit the
gas, the engine sputtered and back fired through the throttle body. I left
the car running for the 10-15 minutes that it took me to drop off kids in
truck. When I came back, car was idling fine(@850rpms) and running smooth.
I thought it was okay now. I turned it off after another 10 mins and went
back inside. Now, I started it and went to work and everything seemed okay.
When I went to go to lunch, battery was almost dead (laboring to turn over)
so I let it run for a few minutes, then as I was about to pull off, I turned
on the lights and the tach dropped to "0" like the car stalled but it was
still running. When I hit the gas it was sputtering and back firing. I
turned the lights off and the tach went back to normal. I turned the heat on
and the tach went back to "0". Hopefully I will be able to limp the car the
6 miles to get home without getting pulled over for no head lights.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 25 Feb 2008, 11:08 pm
Dan C
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 Accord--tach goes to "0" when I turn lights or heat on

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 04:37:02 +0000, jim_l wrote:

> Any input is greatly appreciated.


The ****ing thing is 17 years old. That's what happens with cars that
old. Get rid of it, and get something newer. Duh.


--
"Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 25 Feb 2008, 11:20 pm
motsco_
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 Accord--tach goes to "0" when I turn lights or heat on

jim_l wrote:
> I have a 1991 Accord with a 5spd F20A SOHC motor that is having problems
> today. I woke up to take kids to school and car was dead. Car was not
> started for 5 days and my wife said that yesterday she heard the cooling fan
> running in the garage. Garage is heated to 55 degrees. So, I jumped the car
> and idle was fluctuating and car was running very "choppy". When I hit the
> gas, the engine sputtered and back fired through the throttle body. I left
> the car running for the 10-15 minutes that it took me to drop off kids in
> truck. When I came back, car was idling fine(@850rpms) and running smooth.
> I thought it was okay now. I turned it off after another 10 mins and went
> back inside. Now, I started it and went to work and everything seemed okay.
> When I went to go to lunch, battery was almost dead (laboring to turn over)
> so I let it run for a few minutes, then as I was about to pull off, I turned
> on the lights and the tach dropped to "0" like the car stalled but it was
> still running. When I hit the gas it was sputtering and back firing. I
> turned the lights off and the tach went back to normal. I turned the heat on
> and the tach went back to "0". Hopefully I will be able to limp the car the
> 6 miles to get home without getting pulled over for no head lights.
>
> Any input is greatly appreciated.
>

--------------------------

Disconnect the battery for 20 seconds so everything can reboot. You have
a few ghosts in the machine. Then do an 'idle learn procedure, if things
don't return to perfect:

http://www.hondasuv.com/members/show...earn+procedure

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 26 Feb 2008, 01:55 am
bi241@scn.org
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 Accord--tach goes to "0" when I turn lights or heat on

On Feb 25, 11:37 pm, "jim_l" <u41648@uwe> wrote:
> I have a 1991 Accord with a 5spd F20A SOHC motor that is having problems
> today. I woke up to take kids to school and car was dead. Car was not
> started for 5 days and my wife said that yesterday she heard the cooling fan
> running in the garage. Garage is heated to 55 degrees. So, I jumped the car
> and idle was fluctuating and car was running very "choppy". When I hit the
> gas, the engine sputtered and back fired through the throttle body. I left
> the car running for the 10-15 minutes that it took me to drop off kids in
> truck. When I came back, car was idling fine(@850rpms) and running smooth.
> I thought it was okay now. I turned it off after another 10 mins and went
> back inside. Now, I started it and went to work and everything seemed okay.
> When I went to go to lunch, battery was almost dead (laboring to turn over)
> so I let it run for a few minutes, then as I was about to pull off, I turned
> on the lights and the tach dropped to "0" like the car stalled but it was
> still running. When I hit the gas it was sputtering and back firing. I
> turned the lights off and the tach went back to normal. I turned the heat on
> and the tach went back to "0". Hopefully I will be able to limp the car the
> 6 miles to get home without getting pulled over for no head lights.
>
> Any input is greatly appreciated.


The thermosensor that controls the cooling fan is faulty. The fan
won't be on at 55 degrees!!
Your battery was wrecked by that stupid fan. And when the battery
can't maintain proper voltage, the ECU is confused.
So reset it (pull a fuse if your car has one, or simply disconnect the
battery) then start the engine and let it idle for 10 minutes. Do not
press the gas pedal during this process.
But fix the sensor and replace the battery as soon as you can.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 26 Feb 2008, 06:51 am
dgk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 Accord--tach goes to "0" when I turn lights or heat on

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 23:08:30 -0600, Dan C
<youmustbejoking@lan.invalid> wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 04:37:02 +0000, jim_l wrote:
>
>> Any input is greatly appreciated.

>
>The ****ing thing is 17 years old. That's what happens with cars that
>old. Get rid of it, and get something newer. Duh.


My 91 Accord runs fine. Why get rid of something that gets me where I
want to go?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 26 Feb 2008, 07:50 am
Dan C
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 Accord--tach goes to "0" when I turn lights or heat on

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 07:51:43 -0500, dgk wrote:

>>The ****ing thing is 17 years old. That's what happens with cars that
>>old. Get rid of it, and get something newer. Duh.


> My 91 Accord runs fine. Why get rid of something that gets me where I
> want to go?


Because before very long, it will NOT get you where you want to go, and
you'll be stranded, probably at a most inconvenient time.

That's one reason.


--
"Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 26 Feb 2008, 08:32 am
Elle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 Accord--tach goes to "0" when I turn lights or heat on

"Dan C" <youmustbejoking@lan.invalid> wrote
> Because before very long, it will NOT get you where you
> want to go, and
> you'll be stranded, probably at a most inconvenient time.
>
> That's one reason.


Do you work for a dealership?

How long have you been reading at this newsgroup?

Hondas need not be abandoned until the engine has given up
the ghost.




Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 26 Feb 2008, 08:48 am
Dan C
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 Accord--tach goes to "0" when I turn lights or heat on

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 07:32:40 -0700, Elle wrote:

>> Because before very long, it will NOT get you where you want to go, and
>> you'll be stranded, probably at a most inconvenient time.


> Do you work for a dealership?


No.

> How long have you been reading at this newsgroup?


A couple of years.

> Hondas need not be abandoned until the engine has given up the ghost.


Which is exactly what I'm talking about above.


--
"Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 26 Feb 2008, 10:39 am
Elle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 Accord--tach goes to "0" when I turn lights or heat on

"Dan C" <youmustbejoking@lan.invalid> wrote
E
>> Hondas need not be abandoned until the engine has given
>> up the ghost.

>
> Which is exactly what I'm talking about above.


Some electrical part likely has given up the ghost.

Until the piston rings fail or similar, the engine is fine.


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 26 Feb 2008, 10:48 am
Grumpy AuContraire
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1991 Accord--tach goes to "0" when I turn lights or heat on



dgk wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 23:08:30 -0600, Dan C
> <youmustbejoking@lan.invalid> wrote:
>
>
>>On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 04:37:02 +0000, jim_l wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Any input is greatly appreciated.

>>
>>The ****ing thing is 17 years old. That's what happens with cars that
>>old. Get rid of it, and get something newer. Duh.

>
>
> My 91 Accord runs fine. Why get rid of something that gets me where I
> want to go?



Some people first resort to the "throw money at the problem" practice
than think rationally.

I drive two old Civics, (1982 'n '83) that have no 'puter, PCV valve,
oxygen sensor etc and get a minimum of 35mpg. Best of all, no payments
or high insurance costs.

I may not be stylin' but I've got more moolah in my wallet!

JT

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can I turn off my 1991 Honda Accord's "Seat Belt Alert" (beeping noise) that's malfunctioning? peachy_nurse Honda Technical 9 17 Mar 2010 11:23 pm
"""You will get 10 points"""" 96 Green Honda Civic EX ...RIMs Or Hudcap( Wheel Cover)?? Jason Honda Technical 7 03 Nov 2007 11:36 am
"""You will get 10 points"""" 96 Green Honda Civic EX ...RIMs Or Hudcap( Wheel Cover)?? Jason Honda Technical 1 03 Nov 2007 11:10 am
"""You will get 10 points"""" 96 Green Honda Civic EX ...RIMs Or Hudcap( Wheel Cover)?? Jason Honda Technical 0 03 Nov 2007 11:10 am
1997 Honda CRV- make "U" turn which cause "woooh" sound peter896 Honda 2 1 22 Aug 2004 02:13 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.