Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 25 Feb 2008, 08:34 pm
Frank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default New Honda Accord too wide, cannot get into garage safely.

Too tight to drive into single wide garage door, about 1/2" clear on each
side and mirrors don't fold back. I guess with practice you could get in and
out of the garage but for now it has to be parked on the street. If Honda
make the car wider, the mirrors should fold back. Dang!

We also have an old Acura Integra that fits into the same garage nicely,
with or without folding the mirrors. Wife has a Camry without folding
mirrors that fits into this garage as well. My small Nissan truck fits as
well with the mirrors folded.

Are there folding mirror conversion kits for the Accord?


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 25 Feb 2008, 08:38 pm
Jeff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New Honda Accord too wide, cannot get into garage safely.

Frank wrote:
> Too tight to drive into single wide garage door, about 1/2" clear on each
> side and mirrors don't fold back. I guess with practice you could get in and
> out of the garage but for now it has to be parked on the street. If Honda
> make the car wider, the mirrors should fold back. Dang!
>
> We also have an old Acura Integra that fits into the same garage nicely,
> with or without folding the mirrors. Wife has a Camry without folding
> mirrors that fits into this garage as well. My small Nissan truck fits as
> well with the mirrors folded.
>
> Are there folding mirror conversion kits for the Accord?


What you need to do is put in small rubber doors in the side of the
garage door (like sideways doggie doors), so that if you hit the sides,
it goes right through without damage!

Or get a new house.

Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 25 Feb 2008, 08:39 pm
Frank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New Honda Accord too wide, cannot get into garage safely.


Sorry, that should be Civic Si, not Accord. Son's new car, not mine.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 25 Feb 2008, 09:40 pm
Gordon McGrew
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New Honda Accord too wide, cannot get into garage safely.

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 18:39:43 -0800, " Frank"
<noreplay@nothome.net> wrote:

>
>Sorry, that should be Civic Si, not Accord. Son's new car, not mine.


The garage is so narrow you can't get a Civic in it??? Either the
garage is a joke or this upsizing thing has really gotten out of hand.



>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 25 Feb 2008, 10:20 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New Honda Accord too wide, cannot get into garage safely.

" Frank" <noreplay@nothome.net> wrote in
news:l56dnYBt64lP517anZ2dnUVZ_v6rnZ2d@comcast.com:

> Too tight to drive into single wide garage door, about 1/2" clear on
> each side and mirrors don't fold back. I guess with practice you could
> get in and out of the garage but for now it has to be parked on the
> street. If Honda make the car wider, the mirrors should fold back.
> Dang!
>
> We also have an old Acura Integra that fits into the same garage
> nicely, with or without folding the mirrors. Wife has a Camry without
> folding mirrors that fits into this garage as well. My small Nissan
> truck fits as well with the mirrors folded.
>
> Are there folding mirror conversion kits for the Accord?
>
>




This must be a newer house. Older houses were built for full-size American
cars, which were wider than your Accord.

Some markets legally require folding mirrors. You may be able to locate a
set at a European Honda dealer (England, maybe?). Be prepared for serious
sticker shock!


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 25 Feb 2008, 10:36 pm
Jeff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New Honda Accord too wide, cannot get into garage safely.

Tegger wrote:
> " Frank" <noreplay@nothome.net> wrote in
> news:l56dnYBt64lP517anZ2dnUVZ_v6rnZ2d@comcast.com:
>
>> Too tight to drive into single wide garage door, about 1/2" clear on
>> each side and mirrors don't fold back. I guess with practice you could
>> get in and out of the garage but for now it has to be parked on the
>> street. If Honda make the car wider, the mirrors should fold back.
>> Dang!
>>
>> We also have an old Acura Integra that fits into the same garage
>> nicely, with or without folding the mirrors. Wife has a Camry without
>> folding mirrors that fits into this garage as well. My small Nissan
>> truck fits as well with the mirrors folded.
>>
>> Are there folding mirror conversion kits for the Accord?
>>
>>

>
>
>
> This must be a newer house. Older houses were built for full-size American
> cars, which were wider than your Accord.
>
> Some markets legally require folding mirrors. You may be able to locate a
> set at a European Honda dealer (England, maybe?). Be prepared for serious
> sticker shock!


But the doors might be designed differently or there may be other
differences that would make it so that the parts are not interchangeable.

The cars are built in different palnts, perhap to different specs.

Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 26 Feb 2008, 02:43 am
Brian Smith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New Honda Accord too wide, cannot get into garage safely.


" Frank" <noreplay@nothome.net> wrote in message
news:l56dnYBt64lP517anZ2dnUVZ_v6rnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Too tight to drive into single wide garage door, about 1/2" clear on each
> side and mirrors don't fold back. I guess with practice you could get in
> and out of the garage but for now it has to be parked on the street. If
> Honda make the car wider, the mirrors should fold back. Dang!
>
> We also have an old Acura Integra that fits into the same garage nicely,
> with or without folding the mirrors. Wife has a Camry without folding
> mirrors that fits into this garage as well. My small Nissan truck fits as
> well with the mirrors folded.
>
> Are there folding mirror conversion kits for the Accord?


Renovate the garage. Replace the existing doorway with a larger doorway.


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 26 Feb 2008, 04:37 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New Honda Accord too wide, cannot get into garage safely.

Jeff <kidsdoc2000@hotmail.com> wrote in
newsHMwj.33607$v57.11773@trnddc05:

> Tegger wrote:
>> " Frank" <noreplay@nothome.net> wrote in
>> news:l56dnYBt64lP517anZ2dnUVZ_v6rnZ2d@comcast.com:
>>
>>> Too tight to drive into single wide garage door, about 1/2" clear on
>>> each side and mirrors don't fold back. I guess with practice you
>>> could get in and out of the garage but for now it has to be parked
>>> on the street. If Honda make the car wider, the mirrors should fold
>>> back. Dang!
>>>
>>> We also have an old Acura Integra that fits into the same garage
>>> nicely, with or without folding the mirrors. Wife has a Camry
>>> without folding mirrors that fits into this garage as well. My small
>>> Nissan truck fits as well with the mirrors folded.
>>>
>>> Are there folding mirror conversion kits for the Accord?
>>>
>>>

>>
>>
>>
>> This must be a newer house. Older houses were built for full-size
>> American cars, which were wider than your Accord.
>>
>> Some markets legally require folding mirrors. You may be able to
>> locate a set at a European Honda dealer (England, maybe?). Be
>> prepared for serious sticker shock!

>
> But the doors might be designed differently or there may be other
> differences that would make it so that the parts are not
> interchangeable.
>
> The cars are built in different palnts, perhap to different specs.
>




That's perfectly true. Replacement could be a minefield. Eupropean Accords
are smaller than ours. The Acura TSX is based on the European Accord, but
even then...


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 26 Feb 2008, 10:26 am
Frank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New Honda Accord too wide, cannot get into garage safely.


"Brian Smith" <Halifax@NovaScotia.Canada> wrote in message
news:ZiQwj.58555$C61.23044@edtnps89...
>
> " Frank" <noreplay@nothome.net> wrote in message
> news:l56dnYBt64lP517anZ2dnUVZ_v6rnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>> Too tight to drive into single wide garage door, about 1/2" clear on each
>> side and mirrors don't fold back. I guess with practice you could get in
>> and out of the garage but for now it has to be parked on the street. If
>> Honda make the car wider, the mirrors should fold back. Dang!
>>
>> We also have an old Acura Integra that fits into the same garage nicely,
>> with or without folding the mirrors. Wife has a Camry without folding
>> mirrors that fits into this garage as well. My small Nissan truck fits as
>> well with the mirrors folded.
>>
>> Are there folding mirror conversion kits for the Accord?

>
> Renovate the garage. Replace the existing doorway with a larger
> doorway.
>


I'm thinking about it. On one side of the door is a structural wall holding
up three floors above, on the other side of the door is a partial wall with
multiple gas meters mounted on it. Moving either of the walls to allow
additional clearance will be an expense. Further, the entry way, the same
width as the door, has full size brick fascia - it could cut that with a
wet saw which will give an additional 1" clearance on each side. But the
door opening is the problem. Maybe cheaper to get a smaller car or one with
foldable mirrors.


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 26 Feb 2008, 10:30 am
Frank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New Honda Accord too wide, cannot get into garage safely.


> This must be a newer house. Older houses were built for full-size American
> cars, which were wider than your Accord.
>


Its an old house, built around 1910 - Model T, horse and carriage width, I
suppose.





Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where can i get a wide body kit for my 1999 accord coupe? arrgghh206 Honda Technical 3 05 Dec 2007 04:46 pm
Honda Introduces a World-Debut Concept Vehicle Based on the Accord and a Wide Range of Customized Ve skylight Honda Accord 0 30 Oct 2007 05:30 pm
In the Autoblog Garage: 2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6 skylight Honda News 0 29 Oct 2007 09:10 pm
I have a 1992 Honda Accord lx and its been sitting in the garage for 3 yrs...? Jay-boogie Honda Technical 3 24 Oct 2007 04:45 pm
What are the largest tires you can safely install on a Honda Element? phlaye_ghoti Honda Technical 1 24 Aug 2007 03:54 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.