Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jan 2008, 04:10 am
courseincivics@jfdsjlsjz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default How much is Honda brand antifreeze?

I've been reading around the web that only Honda brand coolant should be used
for the Honda. Tonight, for the first time, I noticed my 1995 Civic EX's
temperature gauge three quarters of the way to the hot setting, whereas it's
usually one quarter past cool. I'm going to check the reservoir and the
radiator today, but before I buy Prestone, I thought about heading over to
the Honda dealer for the Honda brand. How much does it usually cost in
comparison to Prestone? The car has less than 30k miles and never has had a
coolant flush.

In the event that it's nearly dry, is plain distilled water ok to add? If
so, wouldn't that mean subsequently flushing the radiator so that the water
would be replaced by the antifreeze/water 50/50 mix?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jan 2008, 09:30 am
Elle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How much is Honda brand antifreeze?

Do not add Prestone. You risk an early water pump failure
with it.

OEM is something like twice as much.

Your owner's manual will tell you the 95 Civic is due for a
coolant flush every every 2 years or 45k miles, whichever
comes first.

Re adding distilled water in a pinch: The more you have to
add, the greater the risk of improper cooling or breaking
something. The lower temperatures are when you add distilled
water, the greater the risk.

I am doubtful adding coolant will remedy the problem. Is the
thermostat original? Maybe time for a replacement if adding
coolant does not remedy the problem.

Every overheating incident brings your engine's head gasket
closer to failure in the future. I would not drive until the
correct amount of coolant is in place and/or other checks
are done.

<courseincivics@jfdsjlsjz> wrote
> I've been reading around the web that only Honda brand
> coolant should be used
> for the Honda. Tonight, for the first time, I noticed my
> 1995 Civic EX's
> temperature gauge three quarters of the way to the hot
> setting, whereas it's
> usually one quarter past cool. I'm going to check the
> reservoir and the
> radiator today, but before I buy Prestone, I thought about
> heading over to
> the Honda dealer for the Honda brand. How much does it
> usually cost in
> comparison to Prestone? The car has less than 30k miles
> and never has had a
> coolant flush.
>
> In the event that it's nearly dry, is plain distilled
> water ok to add? If
> so, wouldn't that mean subsequently flushing the radiator
> so that the water
> would be replaced by the antifreeze/water 50/50 mix?



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jan 2008, 11:58 am
bi241@scn.org
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How much is Honda brand antifreeze?

there are many causes of engine overheating.

cooling system
- low coolant level, check both radiator and the reservoir.
- air in the cooling system. bubbles come out of the bleeding taps if
air is trapped in the system.
- fauty radiator fan: does it come on?
- stuck closed thermostat: does the upper hose ever get hot?
- faulty radiator cap: does the overflow tube get hot easily?
- faulty water pump: leave the cap off, does the coolant flow when
engine is running?
- blocked passages: same as above

drivetrain
- chambers detonation: (incorrect timing, incorrect spark plugs heat
range, mixture too lean) is there any audible pinging or rattling
under load?
- transmission overheating: (automatic trans) does the trans up/down
shift properly? does the torque converter lockup work?

if you live in the south, it's OK to fill it up with distilled water
(works for aluminum blocks & heads). i would prefer anti-freeze
because of its higher boiling point. In my Honda used PEAK LongLife
premixed 50/50, silicate-free, amber color, and added a bottle of
HyperLube super coolant as a surfactant, anti-foaming agent. They are
cheap and available at most parts stores

oh and dont overlook the radiator cap, one with a weakened spring will
lower the coolant boiling point. It's bad, cause when the coolant is
boiling, it's telling the egnine that "that's it, i can't take it no
more!!!". replaced with OEM only!!!

cheers


On Jan 13, 4:10 am, courseincivics@jfdsjlsjz wrote:
> I've been reading around the web that only Honda brand coolant should be used
> for the Honda. Tonight, for the first time, I noticed my 1995 Civic EX's
> temperature gauge three quarters of the way to the hot setting, whereas it's
> usually one quarter past cool. I'm going to check the reservoir and the
> radiator today, but before I buy Prestone, I thought about heading over to
> the Honda dealer for the Honda brand. How much does it usually cost in
> comparison to Prestone? The car has less than 30k miles and never has had a
> coolant flush.
>
> In the event that it's nearly dry, is plain distilled water ok to add? If
> so, wouldn't that mean subsequently flushing the radiator so that the water
> would be replaced by the antifreeze/water 50/50 mix?


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jan 2008, 01:14 pm
courseincivics
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How much is Honda brand antifreeze?

"Elle" <honda.lioness@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote in news:13ok846bb8ic375
@corp.supernews.com:

> Do not add Prestone. You risk an early water pump failure
> with it.
>
> OEM is something like twice as much.
>



How much of the antifreeze/water mixture will fill up the radiator and the
reservoir after a complete coolant flush?

I'm thinking of buying the Honda coolant from the dealer (unless there are
online places that sell it) and giving it to my mechanic for a radiator
flush. Is it sold in gallon jugs, and what is the general price?

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jan 2008, 01:21 pm
courseincivics
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How much is Honda brand antifreeze?

bi241@scn.org wrote in
news:fdb454b9-0b43-4446-899c-57a1ed7894a7@v29g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

> there are many causes of engine overheating.
>
> cooling system
> - low coolant level, check both radiator and the reservoir.
> - air in the cooling system. bubbles come out of the bleeding taps if
> air is trapped in the system.
> - fauty radiator fan: does it come on?
> - stuck closed thermostat: does the upper hose ever get hot?
> - faulty radiator cap: does the overflow tube get hot easily?
> - faulty water pump: leave the cap off, does the coolant flow when
> engine is running?
> - blocked passages: same as above
>
> drivetrain
> - chambers detonation: (incorrect timing, incorrect spark plugs heat
> range, mixture too lean) is there any audible pinging or rattling
> under load?
> - transmission overheating: (automatic trans) does the trans up/down
> shift properly? does the torque converter lockup work?



Great advice (although, except for the radiator cap, each possibility
sounds like I might be waving bye bye to a few hundred dollars!)



>
> if you live in the south, it's OK to fill it up with distilled water
> (works for aluminum blocks & heads). i would prefer anti-freeze
> because of its higher boiling point. In my Honda used PEAK LongLife
> premixed 50/50, silicate-free, amber color, and added a bottle of
> HyperLube super coolant as a surfactant, anti-foaming agent. They are
> cheap and available at most parts stores



Is amber also the color of the factory installed coolant, which I'm
assuming is still the same as the current Honda brand?

Do you add the bottle of Hyperlube to the reservoir or the radiator?


>
> oh and dont overlook the radiator cap, one with a weakened spring will
> lower the coolant boiling point. It's bad, cause when the coolant is
> boiling, it's telling the egnine that "that's it, i can't take it no
> more!!!". replaced with OEM only!!!
>
>


Are there any online sites that sell actual Honda brand parts (like a
radiator cap)?

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jan 2008, 02:34 pm
Dave Garrett
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How much is Honda brand antifreeze?

In article <bdKdnbR5kI-UyBfanZ2dnUVZ_t-nnZ2d@giganews.com>,
courseincivics@jfdsjlsjz says...

> I'm thinking of buying the Honda coolant from the dealer (unless there are
> online places that sell it) and giving it to my mechanic for a radiator
> flush. Is it sold in gallon jugs, and what is the general price?


Honda coolant is sold in gallon jugs, but it's premixed already (no need
to add water). At my dealer it's about $13 a gallon.

Dave

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jan 2008, 03:33 pm
bi241@scn.org
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How much is Honda brand antifreeze?

On Jan 13, 1:21 pm, courseincivics <courseincivics@jfdsjlsjz> wrote:

> Great advice (although, except for the radiator cap, each possibility
> sounds like I might be waving bye bye to a few hundred dollars!)


when all else is good, but the gauge tends to climb towards the H
mark, then the radiator cap is the top suspect.
in this case, i would also check the temp gauge sender (next to the
temp sensor) to make sure it's working right and doesn't send garbage
to the gauge!

> Is amber also the color of the factory installed coolant, which I'm
> assuming is still the same as the current Honda brand?


i have no idea. some folks say it's green in color, some say blue. i'm
only sure it contains organic rust inhibitor instead of silicate,
which tends to form gel and has adverse effects the on water pump
seal, as mentioned by other folks here

My local Honda dealer now offers a coolant system service for $49 that
includes drain & refill (not flush) with Honda coolant, radiator cap
inspection, temp gauge operation inspection and water pump noise and
leaks checking. That sounds reasonable, yes? But the problem is that
they will probably try to talk you into replacing all of those parts
and while you're at it, why not the timing belt too.. haha. If you can
find similar deals, just make sure that what's got to be done is
neccessary..

> Do you add the bottle of Hyperlube to the reservoir or the radiator?


last June, i read an article about a roundup of various brands of
additives. Hyper-Lube Super Coolant is among the top, tested on a
Civic
you can google for "cooling system additives" , it appears on
turbomagazine.com

i drained the coolant by the amount of the bottle and added it to the
radiator.

> Are there any online sites that sell actual Honda brand parts (like a
> radiator cap)?


Honda dealers should have them, but often not in stock, they have to
order. You can order them yourself from a few sites that sell OEM
honda parts

http://www.hondapartscheap.com is one of those
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jan 2008, 08:54 pm
courseincivics
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How much is Honda brand antifreeze?

bi241@scn.org wrote in news:faae314b-8e6a-47eb-a372-214a2939d339
@f10g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

>
> My local Honda dealer now offers a coolant system service for $49 that
> includes drain & refill (not flush) with Honda coolant, radiator cap
> inspection, temp gauge operation inspection and water pump noise and
> leaks checking. That sounds reasonable, yes? But the problem is that
> they will probably try to talk you into replacing all of those parts
> and while you're at it, why not the timing belt too.. haha. If you can
> find similar deals, just make sure that what's got to be done is
> neccessary..



I was about to add (before I read your last two sentences above)that the
checkup price sounds reasonable, but once they start checking, they love to
start talking about replacing parts.



> i drained the coolant by the amount of the bottle and added it to the
> radiator.


Do you slide under the car to do it, or do you have a lift in a home garage?


You can order them yourself from a few sites that sell OEM
> honda parts
>
> http://www.hondapartscheap.com is one of those



Thanks!

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jan 2008, 09:59 pm
Jeff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How much is Honda brand antifreeze?

courseincivics@jfdsjlsjz wrote:
> I've been reading around the web that only Honda brand coolant should be used
> for the Honda. Tonight, for the first time, I noticed my 1995 Civic EX's
> temperature gauge three quarters of the way to the hot setting, whereas it's
> usually one quarter past cool. I'm going to check the reservoir and the
> radiator today, but before I buy Prestone, I thought about heading over to
> the Honda dealer for the Honda brand. How much does it usually cost in
> comparison to Prestone? The car has less than 30k miles and never has had a
> coolant flush.
>
> In the event that it's nearly dry, is plain distilled water ok to add? If
> so, wouldn't that mean subsequently flushing the radiator so that the water
> would be replaced by the antifreeze/water 50/50 mix?


If you need coolant, you have a worse problem: There is a leak
someplace, like the water pump. While you're replacing the water pump,
you might as well replace the timing belt if it is due.

If there isn't a coolant leak, you need to diagnose the problem causing
the overheating, like a bad water pump or thermostat.

Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 14 Jan 2008, 11:16 am
loewent via CarKB.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How much is Honda brand antifreeze?

honda premix is $4 more per gallon than STP or Prestone premix, and as
mentioned earlier, you'll want to stick with Honda.

t

courseincivics@jfdsjlsjz wrote:
>I've been reading around the web that only Honda brand coolant should be used
>for the Honda. Tonight, for the first time, I noticed my 1995 Civic EX's
>temperature gauge three quarters of the way to the hot setting, whereas it's
>usually one quarter past cool. I'm going to check the reservoir and the
>radiator today, but before I buy Prestone, I thought about heading over to
>the Honda dealer for the Honda brand. How much does it usually cost in
>comparison to Prestone? The car has less than 30k miles and never has had a
>coolant flush.
>
>In the event that it's nearly dry, is plain distilled water ok to add? If
>so, wouldn't that mean subsequently flushing the radiator so that the water
>would be replaced by the antifreeze/water 50/50 mix?


--
Message posted via CarKB.com
http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx...-cars/200801/1

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it true that Japanese brand cars are far more better than American brand cars, in terms of... tomcat_hornet11201 Honda Technical 21 16 Aug 2007 12:35 pm
New Honda antifreeze formulation? TeGGeR® Honda 3 10 26 Jun 2005 09:32 pm
87 Honda Accord; Antifreeze burning out of exhaust. matpex Honda 2 7 22 May 2005 05:48 pm
antifreeze in 95 honda gone and car overheat bigl16 Honda 2 2 29 Apr 2005 06:02 pm
honda Antifreeze Greg Honda 2 18 25 Oct 2003 09:50 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.