Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jan 2008, 10:32 am
High Tech Misfit
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Is my 2004 Civic's battery almost dead already?

My 2004 Civic started up fine in the bitter cold this morning, albeit with
some expected slow cranking. I did a quick errand and returned home. 2
hours later, I get in the car to go out again... but now it won't start. It
cranks but does not want to fire up. I even tried the procedure that
involves holding the gas pedal down while cranking for 15 seconds, but
nothing.

Based on what I have read here recently, I guess it's not unusual for a
4-year old car to have its original battery fail this soon. My '93 Accord's
original battery lasted almost 8 years, but its first replacement (a Sears
DieHard) lasted 4 years.

I have to admit that I use the remote keyless entry religiously, and a
strange incident happened briefly the other day in the parking lot of a
local shopping center. When I went to remotely unlock the car, it beeped as
if I was pressing the lock button a second time. The issue went away when I
got home and did not return.

So is it not unusual for a 4-year old original battery to fail, and could
that unexpected unlocking beep have been a warning sign?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jan 2008, 10:33 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Is my 2004 Civic's battery almost dead already?

High Tech Misfit wrote:
> My 2004 Civic started up fine in the bitter cold this morning, albeit with
> some expected slow cranking. I did a quick errand and returned home. 2
> hours later, I get in the car to go out again... but now it won't start. It
> cranks but does not want to fire up. I even tried the procedure that
> involves holding the gas pedal down while cranking for 15 seconds, but
> nothing.


if it's cranking, it's not a battery problem. run injector cleaner
through it and maybe get a new set of plugs. report back accordingly.



>
> Based on what I have read here recently, I guess it's not unusual for a
> 4-year old car to have its original battery fail this soon. My '93 Accord's
> original battery lasted almost 8 years, but its first replacement (a Sears
> DieHard) lasted 4 years.
>
> I have to admit that I use the remote keyless entry religiously, and a
> strange incident happened briefly the other day in the parking lot of a
> local shopping center. When I went to remotely unlock the car, it beeped as
> if I was pressing the lock button a second time. The issue went away when I
> got home and did not return.
>
> So is it not unusual for a 4-year old original battery to fail, and could
> that unexpected unlocking beep have been a warning sign?

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jan 2008, 10:45 am
motsco_
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Is my 2004 Civic's battery almost dead already?

High Tech Misfit wrote:
> My 2004 Civic started up fine in the bitter cold this morning, albeit with
> some expected slow cranking. I did a quick errand and returned home. 2
> hours later, I get in the car to go out again... but now it won't start. It
> cranks but does not want to fire up. I even tried the procedure that
> involves holding the gas pedal down while cranking for 15 seconds, but
> nothing.
>
> Based on what I have read here recently, I guess it's not unusual for a
> 4-year old car to have its original battery fail this soon. My '93 Accord's
> original battery lasted almost 8 years, but its first replacement (a Sears
> DieHard) lasted 4 years.
>
> I have to admit that I use the remote keyless entry religiously, and a
> strange incident happened briefly the other day in the parking lot of a
> local shopping center. When I went to remotely unlock the car, it beeped as
> if I was pressing the lock button a second time. The issue went away when I
> got home and did not return.
>
> So is it not unusual for a 4-year old original battery to fail, and could
> that unexpected unlocking beep have been a warning sign?


---------------------

Your location is the most important bit of info. If you're in TEXAS,
your troubles may be normal (replace battery).

Did you notice if the immobilizer icon was flashing on the dash? there's
a TSB that mentions batteries with one failing cell. The immobilizer
stops working when voltage gets a bit low. Have the battery load-tested
at a real battery shop.

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jan 2008, 10:45 am
Elle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Is my 2004 Civic's battery almost dead already?

The first two batteries for my 1991 Civic each died at about
four years. The car was driven almost exclusively in the
northern U.S. for the whole time. I accidentally ran each of
the first two batteries down to 'dead' a few times. This
reduces battery life notably, from my reading.

But say, you're pretty experienced, right? Go get a
multimeter and see what the battery voltage (car not
running) is. Anything below say 12.3 volts, and I'd say you
have confirmed it's time for a new battery.

"High Tech Misfit" <me@privacy.net> wrote
> My 2004 Civic started up fine in the bitter cold this
> morning, albeit with
> some expected slow cranking. I did a quick errand and
> returned home. 2
> hours later, I get in the car to go out again... but now
> it won't start. It
> cranks but does not want to fire up. I even tried the
> procedure that
> involves holding the gas pedal down while cranking for 15
> seconds, but
> nothing.
>
> Based on what I have read here recently, I guess it's not
> unusual for a
> 4-year old car to have its original battery fail this
> soon. My '93 Accord's
> original battery lasted almost 8 years, but its first
> replacement (a Sears
> DieHard) lasted 4 years.
>
> I have to admit that I use the remote keyless entry
> religiously, and a
> strange incident happened briefly the other day in the
> parking lot of a
> local shopping center. When I went to remotely unlock the
> car, it beeped as
> if I was pressing the lock button a second time. The
> issue went away when I
> got home and did not return.
>
> So is it not unusual for a 4-year old original battery to
> fail, and could
> that unexpected unlocking beep have been a warning sign?



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jan 2008, 10:53 am
High Tech Misfit
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Is my 2004 Civic's battery almost dead already?

Elle wrote:

> The first two batteries for my 1991 Civic each died at about
> four years. The car was driven almost exclusively in the
> northern U.S. for the whole time. I accidentally ran each of
> the first two batteries down to 'dead' a few times. This
> reduces battery life notably, from my reading.
>

I'm in Canada (Ottawa to be exact) and it is very cold right now.


> But say, you're pretty experienced, right? Go get a
> multimeter and see what the battery voltage (car not
> running) is. Anything below say 12.3 volts, and I'd say you
> have confirmed it's time for a new battery.


Well, I'm not as experienced as other DIY'ers on here; I'm not even a DIY'er
myself. Most of my contributions to these NG's are based on past knowledge
from reading them for years.

I just checked the indicator on the battery itself, and I could just barely
see it lit green.

And Jim Beam, I put fuel injector cleaner in it a few weeks ago.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jan 2008, 11:12 am
newman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Is my 2004 Civic's battery almost dead already?

It may be the battery-they can do strange things when they are going bad.

Before doing anything drastic, check for some simple causes such as loose
and or corroded battery cables.

Autozone can check your battery, or Sears, Walwart etc. No charge usually.
"High Tech Misfit" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:4juqnn487ikt.dlg@hightech.misfit...
My 2004 Civic started up fine in the bitter cold this morning, albeit with
some expected slow cranking. I did a quick errand and returned home. 2
hours later, I get in the car to go out again... but now it won't start. It
cranks but does not want to fire up. I even tried the procedure that
involves holding the gas pedal down while cranking for 15 seconds, but
nothing.

Based on what I have read here recently, I guess it's not unusual for a
4-year old car to have its original battery fail this soon. My '93 Accord's
original battery lasted almost 8 years, but its first replacement (a Sears
DieHard) lasted 4 years.

I have to admit that I use the remote keyless entry religiously, and a
strange incident happened briefly the other day in the parking lot of a
local shopping center. When I went to remotely unlock the car, it beeped as
if I was pressing the lock button a second time. The issue went away when I
got home and did not return.

So is it not unusual for a 4-year old original battery to fail, and could
that unexpected unlocking beep have been a warning sign?


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jan 2008, 11:15 am
High Tech Misfit
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Is my 2004 Civic's battery almost dead already?

High Tech Misfit wrote:

> Elle wrote:
>
>> The first two batteries for my 1991 Civic each died at about
>> four years. The car was driven almost exclusively in the
>> northern U.S. for the whole time. I accidentally ran each of
>> the first two batteries down to 'dead' a few times. This
>> reduces battery life notably, from my reading.
>>

> I'm in Canada (Ottawa to be exact) and it is very cold right now.
>
>> But say, you're pretty experienced, right? Go get a
>> multimeter and see what the battery voltage (car not
>> running) is. Anything below say 12.3 volts, and I'd say you
>> have confirmed it's time for a new battery.

>
> Well, I'm not as experienced as other DIY'ers on here; I'm not even a DIY'er
> myself. Most of my contributions to these NG's are based on past knowledge
> from reading them for years.
>
> I just checked the indicator on the battery itself, and I could just barely
> see it lit green.
>
> And Jim Beam, I put fuel injector cleaner in it a few weeks ago.


I just called Honda roadside assistance (part of my extended warranty), and
even the rep said it's likely not the battery. It will be towed to the
dealer in a bit. I'll report back with the verdict.

The car currently has 65,000km (about 40,000 miles) on it.

Thanks for the advice so far.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jan 2008, 11:53 am
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Is my 2004 Civic's battery almost dead already?

High Tech Misfit <me@privacy.net> wrote in
news:167m9mf0jj8rp.dlg@hightech.misfit:

> Elle wrote:
>
>> The first two batteries for my 1991 Civic each died at about
>> four years. The car was driven almost exclusively in the
>> northern U.S. for the whole time. I accidentally ran each of
>> the first two batteries down to 'dead' a few times. This
>> reduces battery life notably, from my reading.
>>

> I'm in Canada (Ottawa to be exact) and it is very cold right now.
>
>
>> But say, you're pretty experienced, right? Go get a
>> multimeter and see what the battery voltage (car not
>> running) is. Anything below say 12.3 volts, and I'd say you
>> have confirmed it's time for a new battery.

>
> Well, I'm not as experienced as other DIY'ers on here; I'm not even a
> DIY'er myself. Most of my contributions to these NG's are based on
> past knowledge from reading them for years.
>
> I just checked the indicator on the battery itself, and I could just
> barely see it lit green.


Those aren't much use.
>
> And Jim Beam, I put fuel injector cleaner in it a few weeks ago.


In the BATTERY? ;-) no wonder it doesn't work....

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jan 2008, 05:29 pm
High Tech Misfit
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Is my 2004 Civic's battery almost dead already?

Well, it turned out to be a flooded engine. :-/ Dealer cleaned the spark
plugs and changed the oil (it was due for an oil change anyway).

Thanks again for the responses.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02 Jan 2008, 05:54 pm
Jeff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Is my 2004 Civic's battery almost dead already?

High Tech Misfit wrote:
> Well, it turned out to be a flooded engine. :-/ Dealer cleaned the spark
> plugs and changed the oil (it was due for an oil change anyway).
>
> Thanks again for the responses.


Oh gee.

I knew a few people who had a flooded engine after hurricane Bob years
ago. They need more than spark plugs cleaned and new oil (I was smart
enough to move my car inland away from the shore of the island I was on
[Cape Cod]).

Jeff
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dead Battery? TomC Honda 3 4 16 May 2007 06:04 am
Dead Battery Rich Rossler Acura 7 13 Jul 2006 07:54 pm
Civic Battery Dead Pat Honda 3 20 07 Feb 2005 01:51 pm
'92 Civic Dead Battery? Ken Sternberg Honda 2 2 13 Nov 2004 10:52 pm
battery dead or other problem? Eric Honda 1 2 30 May 2004 12:51 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.