Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01 Dec 2007, 09:00 pm
loewent via CarKB.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 98 civic starts running rough then CEL

98 civic, 289000kms, 5spd, non-vtec.

Driving home in some snow tonight, car started running rough, as though on 3
cylinders.

CEL started flashing. Code was P0302 at first. My code reader cleared it,
then the flashing CEL came back. Read P0300, P0301, P0303, P0304. No other
codes.

I recently replaced the cap, rotor and sparkplugs (all from dealership). I
am using Bosch plug wires (I know, but they have a lifetime warranty
apparently), so I replaced the wires with new bosch wires (warranty as
mentioned).

While changing the wires, I decided to check the condition of the sparkplugs.
They all looked fantastic, but I did notice that they were all pretty loose!
Not falling out loose, but not tight.

Tightened them down, seated the plug wires, and all seems OK now. I also
reset the computer as the idle was a little low after completing the work.

My question is: Did I solve my problem here, or is this a sporadic problem
perhaps with the ingitor? Anyone else out there have this issue before?

t

--
Message posted via CarKB.com
http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx...-cars/200712/1

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01 Dec 2007, 09:54 pm
motsco_
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 civic starts running rough then CEL

loewent via CarKB.com wrote:
> 98 civic, 289000kms, 5spd, non-vtec.
>
> Driving home in some snow tonight, car started running rough, as though on 3
> cylinders.
>
> CEL started flashing. Code was P0302 at first. My code reader cleared it,
> then the flashing CEL came back. Read P0300, P0301, P0303, P0304. No other
> codes.
>
> I recently replaced the cap, rotor and sparkplugs (all from dealership). I
> am using Bosch plug wires (I know, but they have a lifetime warranty
> apparently), so I replaced the wires with new bosch wires (warranty as
> mentioned).
>
> While changing the wires, I decided to check the condition of the sparkplugs.
> They all looked fantastic, but I did notice that they were all pretty loose!
> Not falling out loose, but not tight.
>
> Tightened them down, seated the plug wires, and all seems OK now. I also
> reset the computer as the idle was a little low after completing the work.
>
> My question is: Did I solve my problem here, or is this a sporadic problem
> perhaps with the ingitor? Anyone else out there have this issue before?
>


---------------------------

Somebody peed in your gas tank ? Seriously, you may need to replace or
at least back flush your fuel filter and maybe add some methyl hydrate.
Was it COLD where you were? Fuel line icing sounds like that too.

'Curly'
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02 Dec 2007, 08:59 am
Jeff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 civic starts running rough then CEL

motsco_ wrote:
> loewent via CarKB.com wrote:
>> 98 civic, 289000kms, 5spd, non-vtec.
>>
>> Driving home in some snow tonight, car started running rough, as
>> though on 3
>> cylinders.
>>
>> CEL started flashing. Code was P0302 at first. My code reader
>> cleared it,
>> then the flashing CEL came back. Read P0300, P0301, P0303, P0304. No
>> other
>> codes.
>>
>> I recently replaced the cap, rotor and sparkplugs (all from
>> dealership). I
>> am using Bosch plug wires (I know, but they have a lifetime warranty
>> apparently), so I replaced the wires with new bosch wires (warranty as
>> mentioned).
>>
>> While changing the wires, I decided to check the condition of the
>> sparkplugs.
>> They all looked fantastic, but I did notice that they were all pretty
>> loose!
>> Not falling out loose, but not tight.
>>
>> Tightened them down, seated the plug wires, and all seems OK now. I also
>> reset the computer as the idle was a little low after completing the
>> work.
>>
>> My question is: Did I solve my problem here, or is this a sporadic
>> problem
>> perhaps with the ingitor? Anyone else out there have this issue before?
>>

>
> ---------------------------
>
> Somebody peed in your gas tank ? Seriously, you may need to replace or
> at least back flush your fuel filter and maybe add some methyl hydrate.
> Was it COLD where you were? Fuel line icing sounds like that too.
>
> 'Curly'



If there is ethanol in the gasoline, there is no need to add fuel line
deicer. The ethanol will remove any water in the tank.

Instead of adding methanol (grain alcohol, methyl hydrate), I would use
iso-propanol-based dry gas. It is better for the fuel lines and other
rubber parts and more effective, because it dissolves in gasoline better.

Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02 Dec 2007, 10:23 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 civic starts running rough then CEL

"loewent via CarKB.com" <u10197@uwe> wrote in news:7c109c0762390@uwe:

> 98 civic, 289000kms, 5spd, non-vtec.
>
> Driving home in some snow tonight, car started running rough, as
> though on 3 cylinders.
>
> CEL started flashing. Code was P0302 at first. My code reader
> cleared it, then the flashing CEL came back. Read P0300, P0301,
> P0303, P0304. No other codes.
>
> I recently replaced the cap, rotor and sparkplugs (all from
> dealership). I am using Bosch plug wires (I know, but they have a
> lifetime warranty apparently), so I replaced the wires with new bosch
> wires (warranty as mentioned).
>
> While changing the wires, I decided to check the condition of the
> sparkplugs. They all looked fantastic, but I did notice that they were
> all pretty loose! Not falling out loose, but not tight.
>
> Tightened them down, seated the plug wires, and all seems OK now. I
> also reset the computer as the idle was a little low after completing
> the work.
>
> My question is: Did I solve my problem here, or is this a sporadic
> problem perhaps with the ingitor? Anyone else out there have this
> issue before?
>
> t
>




There is a known issue with the CR-V for exactly this problem. The CR-V has
basically the same engine as the Civic.

The CR-V's problem is exhaust valve(s) that have receded into their seats.

Check your valve clearances.

If possible, also do a cylinder leakdown test to check for burnt valves.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02 Dec 2007, 03:50 pm
loewent via CarKB.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 civic starts running rough then CEL

in winnipeg, so it was -14C.

Most fuel here is 10% ethanol.

As mentioned, the problem seems to have cleared itself. Just wanna make sure
its not something else that is sporadic.

t

motsco_ wrote:
>> 98 civic, 289000kms, 5spd, non-vtec.
>>

>[quoted text clipped - 19 lines]
>> My question is: Did I solve my problem here, or is this a sporadic problem
>> perhaps with the ingitor? Anyone else out there have this issue before?

>
>---------------------------
>
>Somebody peed in your gas tank ? Seriously, you may need to replace or
>at least back flush your fuel filter and maybe add some methyl hydrate.
>Was it COLD where you were? Fuel line icing sounds like that too.
>
>'Curly'


--
Message posted via http://www.carkb.com

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02 Dec 2007, 11:32 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 civic starts running rough then CEL

Tegger wrote:
> "loewent via CarKB.com" <u10197@uwe> wrote in news:7c109c0762390@uwe:
>
>> 98 civic, 289000kms, 5spd, non-vtec.
>>
>> Driving home in some snow tonight, car started running rough, as
>> though on 3 cylinders.
>>
>> CEL started flashing. Code was P0302 at first. My code reader
>> cleared it, then the flashing CEL came back. Read P0300, P0301,
>> P0303, P0304. No other codes.
>>
>> I recently replaced the cap, rotor and sparkplugs (all from
>> dealership). I am using Bosch plug wires (I know, but they have a
>> lifetime warranty apparently), so I replaced the wires with new bosch
>> wires (warranty as mentioned).
>>
>> While changing the wires, I decided to check the condition of the
>> sparkplugs. They all looked fantastic, but I did notice that they were
>> all pretty loose! Not falling out loose, but not tight.
>>
>> Tightened them down, seated the plug wires, and all seems OK now. I
>> also reset the computer as the idle was a little low after completing
>> the work.
>>
>> My question is: Did I solve my problem here, or is this a sporadic
>> problem perhaps with the ingitor? Anyone else out there have this
>> issue before?
>>
>> t
>>

>
>
>
> There is a known issue with the CR-V for exactly this problem. The CR-V has
> basically the same engine as the Civic.


crv is b-series - most civics are d-series [apart from the si].


>
> The CR-V's problem is exhaust valve(s) that have receded into their seats.


more likely the valve itself is getting hot enough to cup around the
seat - that's fairly common on other cars. valve seats on hondas are
high quality and in a highly conductive aluminum head - they rarely get
hot enough to actually recede.


>
> Check your valve clearances.


indeed.


>
> If possible, also do a cylinder leakdown test to check for burnt valves.


technically, leakdown is for rings. simple compression is for leaking
valves. and if they are, got to take the head off to replace.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03 Dec 2007, 12:04 am
loewent via CarKB.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 civic starts running rough then CEL

leakdown works well for valves as well, you only have to listen where the air
is leaking (air intake or exhaust system) to detect your problem at TDC.
Doesn't tell you what cylinder though.

Now that the plugs are tightened up and I got new wires on it, it seems to be
running like a top.

Thanks for the ideas all!

t

jim beam wrote:
>>> 98 civic, 289000kms, 5spd, non-vtec.
>>>

>[quoted text clipped - 26 lines]
>> There is a known issue with the CR-V for exactly this problem. The CR-V has
>> basically the same engine as the Civic.

>
>crv is b-series - most civics are d-series [apart from the si].
>
>> The CR-V's problem is exhaust valve(s) that have receded into their seats.

>
>more likely the valve itself is getting hot enough to cup around the
>seat - that's fairly common on other cars. valve seats on hondas are
>high quality and in a highly conductive aluminum head - they rarely get
>hot enough to actually recede.
>
>> Check your valve clearances.

>
>indeed.
>
>> If possible, also do a cylinder leakdown test to check for burnt valves.

>
>technically, leakdown is for rings. simple compression is for leaking
>valves. and if they are, got to take the head off to replace.


--
Message posted via CarKB.com
http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx...-cars/200712/1

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03 Dec 2007, 05:20 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 98 civic starts running rough then CEL

jim beam <spamvortex@bad.example.net> wrote in
newsbKdnSe5SrGGCM7anZ2dnUVZ_qGknZ2d@speakeasy.ne t:

> Tegger wrote:
>> "loewent via CarKB.com" <u10197@uwe> wrote in news:7c109c0762390@uwe:
>>
>>> 98 civic, 289000kms, 5spd, non-vtec.
>>>
>>> Driving home in some snow tonight, car started running rough, as
>>> though on 3 cylinders.
>>>
>>> CEL started flashing. Code was P0302 at first. My code reader
>>> cleared it, then the flashing CEL came back. Read P0300, P0301,
>>> P0303, P0304. No other codes.
>>>
>>> I recently replaced the cap, rotor and sparkplugs (all from
>>> dealership). I am using Bosch plug wires (I know, but they have a
>>> lifetime warranty apparently), so I replaced the wires with new
>>> bosch wires (warranty as mentioned).
>>>
>>> While changing the wires, I decided to check the condition of the
>>> sparkplugs. They all looked fantastic, but I did notice that they
>>> were all pretty loose! Not falling out loose, but not tight.
>>>
>>> Tightened them down, seated the plug wires, and all seems OK now. I
>>> also reset the computer as the idle was a little low after
>>> completing the work.
>>>
>>> My question is: Did I solve my problem here, or is this a sporadic
>>> problem perhaps with the ingitor? Anyone else out there have this
>>> issue before?
>>>
>>> t
>>>

>>
>>
>>
>> There is a known issue with the CR-V for exactly this problem. The
>> CR-V has basically the same engine as the Civic.

>
> crv is b-series - most civics are d-series [apart from the si].




Oops. I was thinking of the Integra.





--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1988 Honda Civic....car starts fine, but after running it 1/2 hour or more, then turning it off,? Legandivori Honda Technical 5 10 Sep 2007 09:20 am
98 Civic Engine vibrating, running rough, slow acceleration jitsu Honda 2 6 17 Feb 2007 07:55 pm
89 acura legend v6 running rough theshipp@gmail.com Acura 2 08 Nov 2006 11:15 am
Rough running 94 Accord Jojo Honda 2 7 03 Nov 2006 10:28 pm
91 Accord starts; won't stay running. Kai S. Honda 2 5 07 Sep 2004 07:04 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.