Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 24 Aug 2007, 02:52 pm
loewent via CarKB.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default I'm canadian, thinking of buying my Honda in the US?

Hi there,

Looking at Ridgelines up here in Winnipeg. EX-L no Navi goes for about
$42000. State-side, the same vehicle goes for $32000ish US. Translates to
about $34500 in canadian funds.

Only difference? If I buy in the US and import it, I get no warranty
coverage.

Are any other Canadians pissed off about this HUGE price difference? Its not
just Honda, its everybody... Nobody has adjusted for the decrease in the US
dollar, and the relative increase of Canadian currency.

Thoughts?
t

--
Message posted via CarKB.com
http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx...-cars/200708/1

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 24 Aug 2007, 05:23 pm
Larry in AZ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I'm canadian, thinking of buying my Honda in the US?

Waiving the right to remain silent, "loewent via CarKB.com" <u10197@uwe>
said:

> Are any other Canadians pissed off about this HUGE price difference?
> Its not just Honda, its everybody... Nobody has adjusted for the
> decrease in the US dollar, and the relative increase of Canadian
> currency.


Are you sure it's just currency conversion games, and not your "free" health
care..?

--
Larry J. - Remove spamtrap in ALLCAPS to e-mail

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
with all the privileges that this entails."
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 24 Aug 2007, 05:54 pm
loewent via CarKB.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I'm canadian, thinking of buying my Honda in the US?

"free".... I like that... and I LOVE the 30% of my salary I pay in income
tax.

Plus 6% GST and 7% PST on pretty much EVERYTHING. Those 2 taxes will be
added to any new vehicle I buy, no matter if its from Canada or the US.

The Canadian dollar used to be in the low $0.60s USD 3 years ago. Then
Georgie went on a war spending spree and now its $0.93 USD.

Vehicle prices have not adjusted as such.

t

Larry in AZ wrote:
>Waiving the right to remain silent, "loewent via CarKB.com" <u10197@uwe>
>said:
>
>> Are any other Canadians pissed off about this HUGE price difference?
>> Its not just Honda, its everybody... Nobody has adjusted for the
>> decrease in the US dollar, and the relative increase of Canadian
>> currency.

>
>Are you sure it's just currency conversion games, and not your "free" health
>care..?
>


--
Message posted via CarKB.com
http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx...-cars/200708/1

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 24 Aug 2007, 05:54 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I'm canadian, thinking of buying my Honda in the US?

"loewent via CarKB.com" <u10197@uwe> wrote in news:773027c19f76d@uwe:

> Hi there,
>
> Looking at Ridgelines up here in Winnipeg. EX-L no Navi goes for
> about $42000. State-side, the same vehicle goes for $32000ish US.
> Translates to about $34500 in canadian funds.
>
> Only difference? If I buy in the US and import it, I get no warranty
> coverage.




Not necessarily true. Some stuff they just might cover; it's a gray
area.



>
> Are any other Canadians pissed off about this HUGE price difference?





Funny, when the currencies were tipping the other way a few years ago,
Americans were pissed at cheap Canadian prices.



> Its not just Honda, its everybody... Nobody has adjusted for the
> decrease in the US dollar, and the relative increase of Canadian
> currency.




Just like a few years ago. Plus ša change...


>
> Thoughts?



Learn to be a currency trader.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 24 Aug 2007, 05:59 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I'm canadian, thinking of buying my Honda in the US?

Larry in AZ <usenet2@DE.LETE.THISljvideo.com> wrote in
news:Xns99969C4536A87thefrogprince@69.28.173.184:

> Waiving the right to remain silent, "loewent via CarKB.com"
> <u10197@uwe> said:
>
>> Are any other Canadians pissed off about this HUGE price difference?
>> Its not just Honda, its everybody... Nobody has adjusted for the
>> decrease in the US dollar, and the relative increase of Canadian
>> currency.

>
> Are you sure it's just currency conversion games, and not your "free"
> health care..?
>



Haw! Our "free" health care is made "free" simply by denying it to you. If
you can't use it, no money is spent, right?

I love living in the Peoples' Republic of Kanada.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 24 Aug 2007, 08:36 pm
Grumpy AuContraire
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I'm canadian, thinking of buying my Honda in the US?



Tegger wrote:
> Larry in AZ <usenet2@DE.LETE.THISljvideo.com> wrote in
> news:Xns99969C4536A87thefrogprince@69.28.173.184:
>
>
>>Waiving the right to remain silent, "loewent via CarKB.com"
>><u10197@uwe> said:
>>
>>
>>>Are any other Canadians pissed off about this HUGE price difference?
>>>Its not just Honda, its everybody... Nobody has adjusted for the
>>>decrease in the US dollar, and the relative increase of Canadian
>>>currency.

>>
>>Are you sure it's just currency conversion games, and not your "free"
>>health care..?
>>

>
>
>
> Haw! Our "free" health care is made "free" simply by denying it to you. If
> you can't use it, no money is spent, right?
>
> I love living in the Peoples' Republic of Kanada.
>



I wish that more socialist sob(s) would read your remarks regard "free."

Thar' ain't no such thang I tell ya.

Politicos *should be* an endangered species subject to a continuous open
season with no bag limit!

Grrrrrr

JT

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 24 Aug 2007, 09:04 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I'm canadian, thinking of buying my Honda in the US?

Grumpy AuContraire <Grumpy@ExtraGrumpyville.com> wrote in
news:9ILzi.459067$p47.344441@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

>
>
> Tegger wrote:
>> Larry in AZ <usenet2@DE.LETE.THISljvideo.com> wrote in
>> news:Xns99969C4536A87thefrogprince@69.28.173.184:
>>
>>
>>>Waiving the right to remain silent, "loewent via CarKB.com"
>>><u10197@uwe> said:
>>>
>>>
>>>>Are any other Canadians pissed off about this HUGE price difference?
>>>>Its not just Honda, its everybody... Nobody has adjusted for the
>>>>decrease in the US dollar, and the relative increase of Canadian
>>>>currency.
>>>
>>>Are you sure it's just currency conversion games, and not your "free"
>>>health care..?
>>>

>>
>>
>>
>> Haw! Our "free" health care is made "free" simply by denying it to
>> you. If you can't use it, no money is spent, right?
>>
>> I love living in the Peoples' Republic of Kanada.
>>

>
>
> I wish that more socialist sob(s) would read your remarks regard
> "free."
>
> Thar' ain't no such thang I tell ya.




Your own politicos also fail to realize this. The American medical
system is almost as messed up as the Canadian one. It's somewhat less
socialized, but just as whacked. Tort and third-party funding are your
big glitches.

Neither the American nor the Canadian systems have any problems that
could not be solved by simply prohibiting the government from having
anything whatever to do with medical care.


>
> Politicos *should be* an endangered species subject to a continuous
> open season with no bag limit!



Or the government should be prohibited from doing enough to be a
dangerous nuisance. Some lessons could be learnt from Thomas Jefferson,
especially from his first term as President.


--
Tegger

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 24 Aug 2007, 09:42 pm
Paul
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I'm canadian, thinking of buying my Honda in the US?


"loewent via CarKB.com" <u10197@uwe> wrote in message
news:773027c19f76d@uwe...
> Hi there,
>
> Looking at Ridgelines up here in Winnipeg. EX-L no Navi goes for about
> $42000. State-side, the same vehicle goes for $32000ish US. Translates
> to
> about $34500 in canadian funds.
>
> Only difference? If I buy in the US and import it, I get no warranty
> coverage.
>
> Are any other Canadians pissed off about this HUGE price difference? Its
> not
> just Honda, its everybody... Nobody has adjusted for the decrease in the
> US
> dollar, and the relative increase of Canadian currency.
>
> Thoughts?
> t
>

Assuming you'd have no coverage on a U.S.-bought truck, that's a $7,500
premium you'd be paying for a warranty. Pretty steep, considering it's a
Honda. I can't address the political/economic factors that go into the
currency exchange rate, but as a practical matter, I'd consider buying the
U.S. version and setting aside a couple of thousand in a decent investment
fund for the off chance that you'll need some major work that would have
been covered by the warranty.

Or maybe I wouldn't. Honda or not, I don't see myself buying a truck that
costs more than $30K in any currency. But that's just me.

Paul


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 25 Aug 2007, 11:36 am
Grumpy AuContraire
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I'm canadian, thinking of buying my Honda in the US?



Tegger wrote:

> Grumpy AuContraire <Grumpy@ExtraGrumpyville.com> wrote in
> news:9ILzi.459067$p47.344441@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:
>
>
>>
>>Tegger wrote:
>>
>>>Larry in AZ <usenet2@DE.LETE.THISljvideo.com> wrote in
>>>news:Xns99969C4536A87thefrogprince@69.28.173.18 4:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>Waiving the right to remain silent, "loewent via CarKB.com"
>>>><u10197@uwe> said:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>Are any other Canadians pissed off about this HUGE price difference?
>>>>>Its not just Honda, its everybody... Nobody has adjusted for the
>>>>>decrease in the US dollar, and the relative increase of Canadian
>>>>>currency.
>>>>
>>>>Are you sure it's just currency conversion games, and not your "free"
>>>>health care..?
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Haw! Our "free" health care is made "free" simply by denying it to
>>>you. If you can't use it, no money is spent, right?
>>>
>>>I love living in the Peoples' Republic of Kanada.
>>>

>>
>>
>>I wish that more socialist sob(s) would read your remarks regard
>>"free."
>>
>>Thar' ain't no such thang I tell ya.

>
>
>
>
> Your own politicos also fail to realize this. The American medical
> system is almost as messed up as the Canadian one. It's somewhat less
> socialized, but just as whacked. Tort and third-party funding are your
> big glitches.
>


No argument from here. Maybe lawyers should be put on the "targeted"
endangered species list too...


> Neither the American nor the Canadian systems have any problems that
> could not be solved by simply prohibiting the government from having
> anything whatever to do with medical care.
>


If one is not bent on success, let the guv'ment do it fo' sho'...



>>Politicos *should be* an endangered species subject to a continuous
>>open season with no bag limit!

>
>
>
> Or the government should be prohibited from doing enough to be a
> dangerous nuisance. Some lessons could be learnt from Thomas Jefferson,
> especially from his first term as President.
>

Jefferson like W.C. Fields are my heroes. Only problem is none of them
thar' "every twenty years" revolutions never occurred...

Hmmmmmm, maybe we should annex Canada and mix up the two health care
systems, execute all the lawyers and...

<G>

JT

(Who is wondering what useful purpose a bunch of daid lawyahs serve?)

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anything have anything bad to say about 2006 Honda Civic? Thinking of buying one - commute sweetpeas_mom Honda Technical 8 18 Aug 2007 02:36 pm
Element - thinking of buying - advice ? Ron Honda 3 1 23 Mar 2007 09:32 am
thinking of buying a fit turtledan@msn.com Honda 2 6 18 Jul 2006 12:07 pm
Thinking about buying an Oddessy tfandango Honda 3 1 27 Jun 2005 12:09 pm
Thinking of buying an Odyssey Elmo P. Shagnasty Honda 1 3 16 Sep 2003 05:26 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.