Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 23 Aug 2007, 01:24 pm
Darren
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default CRV questions

Greetings all.
I am new to this group. I am considering buying a 2008 Honda CRV when
the new models come out in the fall.
I bought a 2000 Toyota Echo in the fall of 1999. It is a good little
car with good gas mileage,but when I bought it I was commuting to work
in New York City by train, and didn't do very much driving. Now,
however, I work much closer to home and have to drive to work every
day.
I average driving around 150 miles a week, and have to drive on one of
Long Island's busiest highways. The Echo doesn't have much "pick-up"
and I sort of don't feel that safe in it while driving amid all the
trucks and SUVs. So, I kind of want to upgrade to a larger, sturdier
and driver-friendly vehicle. I have narrowed down my choices to the
Toyota Rav 4 and the Honda CRV. They both get excellent ratings all
around, but I like the design of the CRV better.
I will test drive one of each.
My questions relate to the AWD(all wheel drive).
First, for what drving conditions is it for? Off road? Icy, snowy
conditions? Driving in a hilly setting?
Is it crazy to get a CRV without it?
I just wanted to hear some thoughts on it before I buy.
Thanks in advance.

Darren

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 23 Aug 2007, 02:08 pm
Larry in AZ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: CRV questions

Waiving the right to remain silent, Darren <darrenli516@yahoo.com> said:

> I have narrowed down my choices to the
> Toyota Rav 4 and the Honda CRV. They both get excellent ratings all
> around, but I like the design of the CRV better.
> I will test drive one of each.
>


Let us know how it works out for you. I'm looking at the same two choices,
come Jauary.

We currently have a 2005 Pilot, but it's larger and more vehicle than what we
need.

--
Larry J. - Remove spamtrap in ALLCAPS to e-mail

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
with all the privileges that this entails."
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 23 Aug 2007, 02:22 pm
Elle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: CRV questions

"Darren" <darrenli516@yahoo.com> wrote
> I am new to this group. I am considering buying a 2008
> Honda CRV when
> the new models come out in the fall.
> I bought a 2000 Toyota Echo in the fall of 1999. It is a
> good little
> car with good gas mileage,but when I bought it I was
> commuting to work
> in New York City by train, and didn't do very much
> driving. Now,
> however, I work much closer to home and have to drive to
> work every
> day.
> I average driving around 150 miles a week, and have to
> drive on one of
> Long Island's busiest highways. The Echo doesn't have much
> "pick-up"
> and I sort of don't feel that safe in it while driving
> amid all the
> trucks and SUVs. So, I kind of want to upgrade to a
> larger, sturdier
> and driver-friendly vehicle.


That all sounds good in principle, but I think when you test
drive a larger vehicle you might find that the Echo is much
more maneuverable. You might actually feel safer in it.

Indeed one of the reasons many SUVs are involved in crashes
is because the high center of gravity, among other things,
makes it less maneuverable.

Lately I have been switching driving a bit between my little
1991 Honda Civic sedan and a friend's quite long Toyota
Tundra. The height and interior of the Tundra make it a
comfortable ride, but I far prefer how quickly I can
maneuver my little Civic to make turns.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 24 Aug 2007, 05:47 am
ACAR
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: CRV questions

On Aug 23, 2:24 pm, Darren <darrenli...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Greetings all.

snip
> My questions relate to the AWD(all wheel drive).
> First, for what drving conditions is it for? Off road? Icy, snowy
> conditions? Driving in a hilly setting?


Both the RAV4 and CRV are on-road vehicles. AWD will help in
slippery conditions, especially in climbing a snow-covered hill.
However, proper tires will help more.

> Is it crazy to get a CRV without it?


AWD reduces mpg and increases maintenance costs.

> I just wanted to hear some thoughts on it before I buy.


A 4-cyl 2008 Accord or Camry will have plenty of power
for rush hour commuting and will get better mpg than
the cute utes you are considering.

> Thanks in advance.


Both the CRV and RAV4 are good vehicles but unless you
need a station wagon's room, you will save a bunch of
mpg with a sedan.

I own both Honda and Toyota vehicles. IMHO, Honda's
drive better but Toyota's are much less expensive to
keep over the long haul. Toyota consistently puts
crappy tires on their cars, often a major factor in how
badly they seem to feel on the road.

>
> Darren


Good luck.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 24 Aug 2007, 07:48 am
High Tech Misfit
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: CRV questions

ACAR wrote:

> Toyota consistently puts
> crappy tires on their cars, often a major factor in how
> badly they seem to feel on the road.


A lot of manufacturers put crappy tires on their cars, including Honda.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 24 Aug 2007, 11:17 am
Mark W.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: CRV questions


"Darren" <darrenli516@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1187893460.446639.145330@e9g2000prf.googlegro ups.com...
> Greetings all.
> I am new to this group. I am considering buying a 2008 Honda CRV when
> the new models come out in the fall.
> I bought a 2000 Toyota Echo in the fall of 1999. It is a good little
> car with good gas mileage,but when I bought it I was commuting to work
> in New York City by train, and didn't do very much driving. Now,
> however, I work much closer to home and have to drive to work every
> day.
> I average driving around 150 miles a week, and have to drive on one of
> Long Island's busiest highways. The Echo doesn't have much "pick-up"
> and I sort of don't feel that safe in it while driving amid all the
> trucks and SUVs. So, I kind of want to upgrade to a larger, sturdier
> and driver-friendly vehicle. I have narrowed down my choices to the
> Toyota Rav 4 and the Honda CRV. They both get excellent ratings all
> around, but I like the design of the CRV better.
> I will test drive one of each.
> My questions relate to the AWD(all wheel drive).
> First, for what drving conditions is it for? Off road? Icy, snowy
> conditions? Driving in a hilly setting?
> Is it crazy to get a CRV without it?
> I just wanted to hear some thoughts on it before I buy.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Darren
>


I have a 2007 CRV 2WD and live in MN. After driving 2WD cars for years I
couldn't justify the added purchase price, maintenance and lower mpg that
comes with AWD.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 29 Aug 2007, 04:42 pm
garray
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: CRV questions

You've gotten some good answers so far. Stop by CR-V Owners Club too when
you get a chance. You may be able to get some more good advice there.

"Darren" <darrenli516@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1187893460.446639.145330@e9g2000prf.googlegro ups.com...
> Greetings all.
> I am new to this group. I am considering buying a 2008 Honda CRV when
> the new models come out in the fall.
> I bought a 2000 Toyota Echo in the fall of 1999. It is a good little
> car with good gas mileage,but when I bought it I was commuting to work
> in New York City by train, and didn't do very much driving. Now,
> however, I work much closer to home and have to drive to work every
> day.
> I average driving around 150 miles a week, and have to drive on one of
> Long Island's busiest highways. The Echo doesn't have much "pick-up"
> and I sort of don't feel that safe in it while driving amid all the
> trucks and SUVs. So, I kind of want to upgrade to a larger, sturdier
> and driver-friendly vehicle. I have narrowed down my choices to the
> Toyota Rav 4 and the Honda CRV. They both get excellent ratings all
> around, but I like the design of the CRV better.
> I will test drive one of each.
> My questions relate to the AWD(all wheel drive).
> First, for what drving conditions is it for? Off road? Icy, snowy
> conditions? Driving in a hilly setting?
> Is it crazy to get a CRV without it?
> I just wanted to hear some thoughts on it before I buy.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Darren
>



Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MIL questions MAT Honda 3 19 26 Sep 2005 11:27 am
sorry, 2 more questions j.lef Acura 0 25 Jun 2004 10:22 am
AC Questions...... Adam Honda 3 4 10 Jun 2004 10:45 am
RSX questions don freeman Acura 0 25 Feb 2004 09:20 pm
87 CRX HF questions agent smith Honda 2 0 19 Feb 2004 02:39 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.