Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 19 Aug 2007, 05:50 am
timtech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 1993 Civic 1.5 LSi UK starting problems

After I haven't used my Civic for a couple of weeks and do a short
journey of about 15 minutes, switch off and then attempt to start
about 10 minutes later it won't start until I take the fuel filler cap
off to relieve the fuel pressure - then it starts no problem. The
fuel filler cap is a not the original - I don't know if this is a
problem, should it be vented in some way?

I do 200 mile motorway journeys in the car every few months and it
always starts fine in the next few days after that...Apprieciate any
ideas! thanks.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 19 Aug 2007, 07:12 am
High Tech Misfit
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1993 Civic 1.5 LSi UK starting problems

timtech wrote:

> After I haven't used my Civic for a couple of weeks and do a short
> journey of about 15 minutes, switch off and then attempt to start
> about 10 minutes later it won't start until I take the fuel filler cap
> off to relieve the fuel pressure - then it starts no problem. The
> fuel filler cap is a not the original - I don't know if this is a
> problem, should it be vented in some way?
>
> I do 200 mile motorway journeys in the car every few months and it
> always starts fine in the next few days after that...Apprieciate any
> ideas! thanks.


Is the replacement fuel cap OEM or aftermarket? This should be OEM.

However, I think the actual problem is with the main relay.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 19 Aug 2007, 09:19 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1993 Civic 1.5 LSi UK starting problems

High Tech Misfit wrote:
> timtech wrote:
>
>> After I haven't used my Civic for a couple of weeks and do a short
>> journey of about 15 minutes, switch off and then attempt to start
>> about 10 minutes later it won't start until I take the fuel filler cap
>> off to relieve the fuel pressure - then it starts no problem. The
>> fuel filler cap is a not the original - I don't know if this is a
>> problem, should it be vented in some way?
>>
>> I do 200 mile motorway journeys in the car every few months and it
>> always starts fine in the next few days after that...Apprieciate any
>> ideas! thanks.

>
> Is the replacement fuel cap OEM or aftermarket? This should be OEM.
>
> However, I think the actual problem is with the main relay.


agreed.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 19 Aug 2007, 10:30 am
timtech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1993 Civic 1.5 LSi UK starting problems

On Aug 19, 3:19 pm, jim beam <spamvor...@bad.example.net> wrote:
> High Tech Misfit wrote:
> > timtech wrote:

>
> >> After I haven't used my Civic for a couple of weeks and do a short
> >> journey of about 15 minutes, switch off and then attempt to start
> >> about 10 minutes later it won't start until I take the fuel filler cap
> >> off to relieve the fuel pressure - then it starts no problem. The
> >> fuel filler cap is a not the original - I don't know if this is a
> >> problem, should it be vented in some way?

>
> >> I do 200 mile motorway journeys in the car every few months and it
> >> always starts fine in the next few days after that...Apprieciate any
> >> ideas! thanks.

>
> > Is the replacement fuel cap OEM or aftermarket? This should be OEM.

>
> > However, I think the actual problem is with the main relay.

>
> agreed.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


If it was the relay wouldn't the problem manifest itself more often?
I have heard about dry solders and all sorts though...

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 19 Aug 2007, 10:39 am
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1993 Civic 1.5 LSi UK starting problems

timtech wrote:
> On Aug 19, 3:19 pm, jim beam <spamvor...@bad.example.net> wrote:
>> High Tech Misfit wrote:
>>> timtech wrote:
>>>> After I haven't used my Civic for a couple of weeks and do a short
>>>> journey of about 15 minutes, switch off and then attempt to start
>>>> about 10 minutes later it won't start until I take the fuel filler cap
>>>> off to relieve the fuel pressure - then it starts no problem. The
>>>> fuel filler cap is a not the original - I don't know if this is a
>>>> problem, should it be vented in some way?
>>>> I do 200 mile motorway journeys in the car every few months and it
>>>> always starts fine in the next few days after that...Apprieciate any
>>>> ideas! thanks.
>>> Is the replacement fuel cap OEM or aftermarket? This should be OEM.
>>> However, I think the actual problem is with the main relay.

>> agreed.- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> - Show quoted text -

>
> If it was the relay wouldn't the problem manifest itself more often?
> I have heard about dry solders and all sorts though...
>


no, it's only intermittent - happens to most hondas round about this
age. if it really was a gas thank problem, you wouldn't be able to
drive 200 miles.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 23 Aug 2007, 11:10 am
Sulpicia
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1993 Civic 1.5 LSi UK starting problems

We just encountered a similar problem. Our 93 Civic has sat in the
garage for over 2 weeks while we were away on holidays. This morning
it would not start. The lights come on, and there seems to be battery
power, but nothing from the starter. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 23 Aug 2007, 12:24 pm
loewent via CarKB.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1993 Civic 1.5 LSi UK starting problems

battery low.

Sulpicia wrote:
>We just encountered a similar problem. Our 93 Civic has sat in the
>garage for over 2 weeks while we were away on holidays. This morning
>it would not start. The lights come on, and there seems to be battery
>power, but nothing from the starter. Any thoughts?


--
Message posted via CarKB.com
http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx...-cars/200708/1

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 30 Aug 2007, 10:32 am
Sulpicia
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1993 Civic 1.5 LSi UK starting problems

On Aug 23, 1:24 pm, "loewent via CarKB.com" <u10197@uwe> wrote:
> battery low.
>
> Sulpicia wrote:
> >We just encountered a similar problem. Our 93 Civic has sat in the
> >garage for over 2 weeks while we were away on holidays. This morning
> >it would not start. The lights come on, and there seems to be battery
> >power, but nothing from the starter. Any thoughts?

>
> --
> Message posted via CarKB.comhttp://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/honda-cars/200708/1


update on this: it is still reluctant to start unless we push it
backwards for about 1 car length. Then it fires right up, and starts
well for the next few hours. Then it will need another push.
It has an appointment with the garage this afternoon.

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 30 Aug 2007, 04:25 pm
Jim Yanik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 1993 Civic 1.5 LSi UK starting problems

Sulpicia <sulpiciaca@yahoo.ca> wrote in
news:1188487950.996162.309810@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com:

> On Aug 23, 1:24 pm, "loewent via CarKB.com" <u10197@uwe> wrote:
>> battery low.
>>
>> Sulpicia wrote:
>> >We just encountered a similar problem. Our 93 Civic has sat in the
>> >garage for over 2 weeks while we were away on holidays. This
>> >morning it would not start. The lights come on, and there seems to
>> >be battery power, but nothing from the starter. Any thoughts?

>>
>> --
>> Message posted via
>> CarKB.comhttp://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/honda-cars/200708/1

>
> update on this: it is still reluctant to start unless we push it
> backwards for about 1 car length. Then it fires right up, and starts
> well for the next few hours. Then it will need another push.
> It has an appointment with the garage this afternoon.
>
>


"nothing" from the starter? No clicks?
Do the lights dim when you try to crank?

could be a bad solenoid,worn solenoid contacts,or plunger sticking/not
disengaging.
try rapping it with a mallet.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electrical problems with 1993 Civic EX Alex58 Honda 3 2 05 Jan 2006 10:30 pm
1993 Civic Hard Starting Problem Ari Rankum Honda 2 24 23 Sep 2004 11:49 pm
92 civic lx starting problems rww Honda 3 0 07 Jul 2004 11:08 pm
89 Civic Starting Problems JEB Honda 2 3 11 Sep 2003 02:34 pm
'92 Civic starting problems . . . need help! Jared Honda 3 2 02 Sep 2003 07:43 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.