Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 13 Aug 2007, 06:08 pm
Dave Kelsen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 2003 Accord 4-cyl auto problems.

I'm having several problems which I think are related; before I take my
car in to the dealer, I thought I'd ask you folks for a little
information, so I can at least have an idea what's going on.

I have four specific problems.

1.) I have to fiddle with the gearshift lever in order to move it out
of park. This has been so for 6 weeks or so; it's only mildly annoying.

2.) Recently, my cruise control will not stay on. I can push the
button to light the icon on my dash, but it doesn't stay lit, and I
cannot then set the cruise control itself.

3.) My gas mileage appears to have dropped by 15-20%. This is somewhat
spurious, as I need more data. I have only noticed in on the last two
tanksful.

4.) My car has less zip in response to throttle application. Heavy
application still seems fairly good, but ordinary traffic speed
increases are noticeably reticent.


I don't know much, but I suppose that the brake/transmission lock-out
switch is the common problem with 1 and 2. 3 and 4 make me think that
perhaps my brakes are dragging, although I am unable to detect any
specific sound, shudder or other physical indication of such.

I will be taking this to the Honda dealer when I get a chance. Any
ideas or things I should ask about?


Dave Kelsen
--
"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before
breakfast." -- Lewis Carroll
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 13 Aug 2007, 09:13 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2003 Accord 4-cyl auto problems.

Dave Kelsen wrote:
> I'm having several problems which I think are related; before I take my
> car in to the dealer, I thought I'd ask you folks for a little
> information, so I can at least have an idea what's going on.
>
> I have four specific problems.
>
> 1.) I have to fiddle with the gearshift lever in order to move it out
> of park. This has been so for 6 weeks or so; it's only mildly annoying.
>
> 2.) Recently, my cruise control will not stay on. I can push the
> button to light the icon on my dash, but it doesn't stay lit, and I
> cannot then set the cruise control itself.
>
> 3.) My gas mileage appears to have dropped by 15-20%. This is somewhat
> spurious, as I need more data. I have only noticed in on the last two
> tanksful.
>
> 4.) My car has less zip in response to throttle application. Heavy
> application still seems fairly good, but ordinary traffic speed
> increases are noticeably reticent.
>
>
> I don't know much, but I suppose that the brake/transmission lock-out
> switch is the common problem with 1 and 2. 3 and 4 make me think that
> perhaps my brakes are dragging, although I am unable to detect any
> specific sound, shudder or other physical indication of such.
>
> I will be taking this to the Honda dealer when I get a chance. Any
> ideas or things I should ask about?
>
>
> Dave Kelsen


you may have a bad earth on the dash wiring. #1 & #2 are definitely bad
circuitry of some kind, and the only thing those two faults have in
common is an earth connection. #3 & #4 could conceivably be connected
as above if there was some kind of noisy circuitry, but you'll have to
eliminate the obvious mechanical candidates first.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 14 Aug 2007, 05:51 am
rjdriver
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2003 Accord 4-cyl auto problems.


"Dave Kelsen" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:46c0e469$0$29719$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
> I'm having several problems which I think are related; before I take my
> car in to the dealer, I thought I'd ask you folks for a little
> information, so I can at least have an idea what's going on.
>
> I have four specific problems.
>
> 1.) I have to fiddle with the gearshift lever in order to move it out of
> park. This has been so for 6 weeks or so; it's only mildly annoying.
>
> 2.) Recently, my cruise control will not stay on. I can push the button
> to light the icon on my dash, but it doesn't stay lit, and I cannot then
> set the cruise control itself.


The brake light switch behind the pedal died on my 2003 pretty early ( less
than 40,000 miles), in the same manner. Starting out as mildly annoyuing
and over a twop month period eventually requiring the manual override to get
it out of Park. This controls the shift inerlock function and has been a
common problem on the 2003 Accord. It's an easy DIY project and the part is
less than $15.00, even purchased at the dealer.

>
> 3.) My gas mileage appears to have dropped by 15-20%. This is somewhat
> spurious, as I need more data. I have only noticed in on the last two
> tanksful.
>
> 4.) My car has less zip in response to throttle application. Heavy
> application still seems fairly good, but ordinary traffic speed increases
> are noticeably reticent.


Probably unrealated to the first issue. Tune up time? Fuel filter? Air
filter? Those platinum plugs are said to be good for 100m miles, but may
start to deteriorate a bit sooner. Front brake pads on some 2003 Accords
were defective, but they did make some noise and it made itself known in the
first 20m miles.



>
>
> I don't know much, but I suppose that the brake/transmission lock-out
> switch is the common problem with 1 and 2. 3 and 4 make me think that
> perhaps my brakes are dragging, although I am unable to detect any
> specific sound, shudder or other physical indication of such.
>
> I will be taking this to the Honda dealer when I get a chance. Any ideas
> or things I should ask about?
>
>
> Dave Kelsen
> --
> "Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before
> breakfast." -- Lewis Carroll



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 14 Aug 2007, 04:07 pm
TE Chea
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2003 Accord 4-cyl auto problems.

| perhaps my brakes are dragging

When car is on level ground & in neutral gear, hand brake off,
can you push car forward using just 1 foot on 1 tyre ? My
SM4 can be pushed like this.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 14 Aug 2007, 06:07 pm
Dave Kelsen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2003 Accord 4-cyl auto problems.

On 8/14/2007 5:51 AM rjdriver spake these words of knowledge:

> "Dave Kelsen" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> news:46c0e469$0$29719$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
>> I'm having several problems which I think are related; before I take my
>> car in to the dealer, I thought I'd ask you folks for a little
>> information, so I can at least have an idea what's going on.
>>
>> I have four specific problems.
>>
>> 1.) I have to fiddle with the gearshift lever in order to move it out of
>> park. This has been so for 6 weeks or so; it's only mildly annoying.
>>
>> 2.) Recently, my cruise control will not stay on. I can push the button
>> to light the icon on my dash, but it doesn't stay lit, and I cannot then
>> set the cruise control itself.

>
> The brake light switch behind the pedal died on my 2003 pretty early ( less
> than 40,000 miles), in the same manner. Starting out as mildly annoyuing
> and over a twop month period eventually requiring the manual override to get
> it out of Park. This controls the shift inerlock function and has been a
> common problem on the 2003 Accord. It's an easy DIY project and the part is
> less than $15.00, even purchased at the dealer.
>
>>
>> 3.) My gas mileage appears to have dropped by 15-20%. This is somewhat
>> spurious, as I need more data. I have only noticed in on the last two
>> tanksful.
>>
>> 4.) My car has less zip in response to throttle application. Heavy
>> application still seems fairly good, but ordinary traffic speed increases
>> are noticeably reticent.

>
> Probably unrealated to the first issue. Tune up time? Fuel filter? Air
> filter? Those platinum plugs are said to be good for 100m miles, but may
> start to deteriorate a bit sooner. Front brake pads on some 2003 Accords
> were defective, but they did make some noise and it made itself known in the
> first 20m miles.
>


Thanks, rj and jim. I will look in to changing the switch, and see if
it clears up the first two problems. I will also look and see what I
should replace with respect to a 'tune-up'. The car has spoiled me,
needing pretty much just oil changes (OK, a couple of other things, but
not many) up to here, at 107,000 miles.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"Experience teaches us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when
the government's purpose is beneficent." -- Supreme Court Justice Louis
Brandeis
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 14 Aug 2007, 09:34 pm
John Horner
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2003 Accord 4-cyl auto problems.

Dave Kelsen wrote:

>
> Thanks, rj and jim. I will look in to changing the switch, and see if
> it clears up the first two problems. I will also look and see what I
> should replace with respect to a 'tune-up'. The car has spoiled me,
> needing pretty much just oil changes (OK, a couple of other things, but
> not many) up to here, at 107,000 miles.
>



If you are at 107k miles on the original spark plugs I would sure start
by changing them. NGK or Denso Iridium plugs are my first choice for
modern Hondas.

The air filter is also an obvious thing to check for performance and
economy problems.

In theory if something like the O2 sensor was going bad then the check
engine light should come on, but I have seen some cars with a sluggish
O2 sensor which effected emissions but wasn't bad enough to set off the
check engine light.

John
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2003 accord v6 auto trans recall mxxmikexx Honda 2 10 27 Aug 2006 06:25 am
96 Accord Auto trans problems Grey-hound Honda 3 0 08 Mar 2005 12:43 am
2003-2004 Auto Trans Problems I4 vs V6 G.R. Aydelotte Honda 3 1 11 May 2004 07:41 pm
2003 Accord Auto Day/Night Mirror Someone@somewhere.space Honda 2 2 14 Oct 2003 10:29 pm
2003 Accord w/Navi Price 4dr-auto? boe Honda 2 1 18 Aug 2003 09:42 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.