Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 29 Oct 2015, 10:17 pm
Stewart
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Starter or main relay?

2005 Accord EX, 150k mi. When trying to start, the motor either doesn't
crank (clicks), sometimes cranks too slow to start, and once in awhile it
will start. This happens no matter if I just use the battery, jump it, or
remove the cables from the battery and tie into the jumper cables. I've
already cleaned up cable connections....they didn't appear to be in to bad
shape.

The interior lights and headlights don't appear dim when this happens....so
I'm thinking relay. I believe in the '05 its under the dash and behind the
cruise control box...? Just the right spot for these old bones ;-)

What do you think? Pulling the relay and checking couldn't hurt I
guess....after that, maybe the starter solenoid or starter motor brushes?



---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12 Dec 2015, 07:46 am
Stewart
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Starter or main relay?


"Stewart" <gortamus@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:n0ujrd$aof$1@dont-email.me...
> 2005 Accord EX, 150k mi. When trying to start, the motor either doesn't
> crank (clicks), sometimes cranks too slow to start, and once in awhile it
> will start. This happens no matter if I just use the battery, jump it, or
> remove the cables from the battery and tie into the jumper cables. I've
> already cleaned up cable connections....they didn't appear to be in to bad
> shape.
>
> The interior lights and headlights don't appear dim when this
> happens....so I'm thinking relay. I believe in the '05 its under the dash
> and behind the cruise control box...? Just the right spot for these old
> bones ;-)
>
> What do you think? Pulling the relay and checking couldn't hurt I
> guess....after that, maybe the starter solenoid or starter motor brushes?
>
>
> ---
> This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
> https://www.avast.com/antivirus


Just as a followup, it was the starter. PIA job....

>




---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12 Dec 2015, 04:47 pm
cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Starter or main relay?

On 12/12/2015 4:46 AM, Stewart wrote:
> "Stewart" <gortamus@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:n0ujrd$aof$1@dont-email.me...
>> 2005 Accord EX, 150k mi. When trying to start, the motor either doesn't
>> crank (clicks), sometimes cranks too slow to start, and once in awhile it
>> will start. This happens no matter if I just use the battery, jump it, or
>> remove the cables from the battery and tie into the jumper cables. I've
>> already cleaned up cable connections....they didn't appear to be in to bad
>> shape.
>>
>> The interior lights and headlights don't appear dim when this
>> happens....so I'm thinking relay. I believe in the '05 its under the dash
>> and behind the cruise control box...? Just the right spot for these old
>> bones ;-)
>>
>> What do you think? Pulling the relay and checking couldn't hurt I
>> guess....after that, maybe the starter solenoid or starter motor brushes?
>>
>>
>> ---
>> This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
>> https://www.avast.com/antivirus

>
> Just as a followup, it was the starter. PIA job....
>

How did you figure it out? I was guessing the main relay.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 13 Dec 2015, 08:57 am
Stewart
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Starter or main relay?


"cameo" <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote in message
news:n4i4f1$6sp$1@dont-email.me...
> On 12/12/2015 4:46 AM, Stewart wrote:
>> "Stewart" <gortamus@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:n0ujrd$aof$1@dont-email.me...
>>> 2005 Accord EX, 150k mi. When trying to start, the motor either doesn't
>>> crank (clicks), sometimes cranks too slow to start, and once in awhile
>>> it
>>> will start. This happens no matter if I just use the battery, jump it,
>>> or
>>> remove the cables from the battery and tie into the jumper cables. I've
>>> already cleaned up cable connections....they didn't appear to be in to
>>> bad
>>> shape.
>>>
>>> The interior lights and headlights don't appear dim when this
>>> happens....so I'm thinking relay. I believe in the '05 its under the
>>> dash
>>> and behind the cruise control box...? Just the right spot for these old
>>> bones ;-)
>>>
>>> What do you think? Pulling the relay and checking couldn't hurt I
>>> guess....after that, maybe the starter solenoid or starter motor
>>> brushes?
>>>
>>>
>>> ---
>>> This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
>>> https://www.avast.com/antivirus

>>
>> Just as a followup, it was the starter. PIA job....
>>

> How did you figure it out? I was guessing the main relay.
>
>


The resistance of the starter to chassis was 0.1 ohms, and the speed of the
starter motor itself declined over time, even though the engine turned easy
enough. Even with jumper cables it would crank very slow if at all...and
when trying to crank none of the lights would dim and the battery voltage
didn't drop much at all, so it wasn't transferring any power from the system
at all. I did change the battery, as it was 7 years old and the winter is
coming up, even though I pretty much knew that wasn't the problem.

The brushes were pretty well trashed. The starter couldn't have turned over
a lawnmower.

2005 actually has a separate starter relay under the dash. You need to pull
out the cruise control module to get at it, which is another PIA job....



---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 13 Dec 2015, 05:21 pm
cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Starter or main relay?

On 12/13/2015 5:57 AM, Stewart wrote:
> "cameo" <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote in message
> news:n4i4f1$6sp$1@dont-email.me...
>> On 12/12/2015 4:46 AM, Stewart wrote:
>>> "Stewart" <gortamus@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:n0ujrd$aof$1@dont-email.me...
>>>> 2005 Accord EX, 150k mi. When trying to start, the motor either doesn't
>>>> crank (clicks), sometimes cranks too slow to start, and once in awhile
>>>> it
>>>> will start. This happens no matter if I just use the battery, jump it,
>>>> or
>>>> remove the cables from the battery and tie into the jumper cables. I've
>>>> already cleaned up cable connections....they didn't appear to be in to
>>>> bad
>>>> shape.
>>>>
>>>> The interior lights and headlights don't appear dim when this
>>>> happens....so I'm thinking relay. I believe in the '05 its under the
>>>> dash
>>>> and behind the cruise control box...? Just the right spot for these old
>>>> bones ;-)
>>>>
>>>> What do you think? Pulling the relay and checking couldn't hurt I
>>>> guess....after that, maybe the starter solenoid or starter motor
>>>> brushes?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> ---
>>>> This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
>>>> https://www.avast.com/antivirus
>>>
>>> Just as a followup, it was the starter. PIA job....
>>>

>> How did you figure it out? I was guessing the main relay.
>>
>>

>
> The resistance of the starter to chassis was 0.1 ohms, and the speed of the
> starter motor itself declined over time, even though the engine turned easy
> enough. Even with jumper cables it would crank very slow if at all...and
> when trying to crank none of the lights would dim and the battery voltage
> didn't drop much at all, so it wasn't transferring any power from the system
> at all. I did change the battery, as it was 7 years old and the winter is
> coming up, even though I pretty much knew that wasn't the problem.
>
> The brushes were pretty well trashed. The starter couldn't have turned over
> a lawnmower.
>
> 2005 actually has a separate starter relay under the dash. You need to pull
> out the cruise control module to get at it, which is another PIA job....


Oh, I see. Those brushes could definitely pose a problem after a while.
For my '94 Accord it was the alternator brushes I had to replace a few
years ago. Fortunately I was able to do it without even removing the
alternator body and the belts because the brush covers are easily
removable. One of the few things that's easy on that car. When it came
to replacing the main relay under the dash, I had to remove the front
seat first so I could lay on my back to be able to stick my head and
hands in that tight space.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is the fuel pump relay within the main relay in a 90 honda civic? Gamer25 Honda Technical 3 21 May 2012 04:02 am
1990 Prelude Fuel Relay (Main Relay Mitsuba RZ-0081) Rashieley Honda Technical 0 23 Sep 2008 02:47 pm
i think my main relay on my 91 honda accord is messed up ..if anyone has had to replace a main... nicole w Honda Technical 1 30 Oct 2007 05:03 pm
Main relay jzv Honda 3 5 05 Aug 2004 02:21 pm
main relay @microsoft.com lutzj[at]operamail.com Honda 2 1 23 Nov 2003 01:31 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.