Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 28 Jul 2015, 06:34 am
dgk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Should I buy a used Honda?

I loved my 1991 Accord but had to abandon it when I just moved to
Florida. I tried to sell it but ran out of time and donated it to a
charity.

But I know a lot of folks here think that current Honda's aren't made
that well anymore. I'm thinking of spending around 15k for a few year
old model - Civic or maybe a Fit. Maybe a new Fit? They're small but
supposedly fun to drive.

Or a Hundai or Kia? Or maybe a Ford? I don't need an SUV. Whatever I
buy will need to be able to have a longboard on top of the car once in
a while. That makes it tough for a Fit because of that antenna in the
middle of the top. I'll have to see if there's any way a board can,
well, Fit there.

That's the only real requirement. It needs to hold four or five adults
but mostly it will just need to hold me.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 28 Jul 2015, 09:57 pm
bilz2765
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Should I buy a used Honda?

On 7/28/2015 7:34 AM, dgk wrote:
> I loved my 1991 Accord but had to abandon it when I just moved to
> Florida. I tried to sell it but ran out of time and donated it to a
> charity.
>
> But I know a lot of folks here think that current Honda's aren't made
> that well anymore. I'm thinking of spending around 15k for a few year
> old model - Civic or maybe a Fit. Maybe a new Fit? They're small but
> supposedly fun to drive.
>
> Or a Hundai or Kia? Or maybe a Ford? I don't need an SUV. Whatever I
> buy will need to be able to have a longboard on top of the car once in
> a while. That makes it tough for a Fit because of that antenna in the
> middle of the top. I'll have to see if there's any way a board can,
> well, Fit there.
>
> That's the only real requirement. It needs to hold four or five adults
> but mostly it will just need to hold me.
>


Used is like buying a Lotto.
Hondas, and Toyotas last. Should get 200,000 out of them.

New American stuff is not bad, but older small cars are trash. Luck to
get 100,000 out of them.

15K is a good amount. Ever consider leasing?

My bet, is Honda CRV.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 29 Jul 2015, 05:44 am
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Should I buy a used Honda?

In article <3ppera1ggpa65r6kmcbnc56lms47ul592c@4ax.com>,
dgk <dgk@somewhere.com> wrote:

> I loved my 1991 Accord but had to abandon it when I just moved to
> Florida. I tried to sell it but ran out of time and donated it to a
> charity.
>
> But I know a lot of folks here think that current Honda's aren't made
> that well anymore. I'm thinking of spending around 15k for a few year
> old model - Civic or maybe a Fit. Maybe a new Fit? They're small but
> supposedly fun to drive.
>
> Or a Hundai or Kia? Or maybe a Ford? I don't need an SUV. Whatever I
> buy will need to be able to have a longboard on top of the car once in
> a while. That makes it tough for a Fit because of that antenna in the
> middle of the top. I'll have to see if there's any way a board can,
> well, Fit there.
>
> That's the only real requirement. It needs to hold four or five adults
> but mostly it will just need to hold me.


A colleague of mine has a Kia, and his wife has a Honda. Both bought a
couple years ago. He says, the Kia has a longer warranty, but we both
know who has the better car.

Buy a used Acura. They're what Honda used to sell, while Honda has gone
downmarket to compete with Kia.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 29 Jul 2015, 02:50 pm
bilz2765
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Should I buy a used Honda?


>
> A colleague of mine has a Kia, and his wife has a Honda. Both bought a
> couple years ago. He says, the Kia has a longer warranty, but we both
> know who has the better car.
>


Used Kia, warranty does not transfer.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 29 Jul 2015, 05:12 pm
Aldo Raine
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Should I buy a used Honda?

On 7/28/15 10:57 PM, bilz2765 wrote:
> On 7/28/2015 7:34 AM, dgk wrote:
>> I loved my 1991 Accord but had to abandon it when I just moved to
>> Florida. I tried to sell it but ran out of time and donated it to a
>> charity.
>>
>> But I know a lot of folks here think that current Honda's aren't made
>> that well anymore. I'm thinking of spending around 15k for a few year
>> old model - Civic or maybe a Fit. Maybe a new Fit? They're small but
>> supposedly fun to drive.
>>
>> Or a Hundai or Kia? Or maybe a Ford? I don't need an SUV. Whatever I
>> buy will need to be able to have a longboard on top of the car once in
>> a while. That makes it tough for a Fit because of that antenna in the
>> middle of the top. I'll have to see if there's any way a board can,
>> well, Fit there.
>>
>> That's the only real requirement. It needs to hold four or five adults
>> but mostly it will just need to hold me.
>>

>
> Used is like buying a Lotto.
> Hondas, and Toyotas last. Should get 200,000 out of them.
>
> New American stuff is not bad, but older small cars are trash. Luck to
> get 100,000 out of them.
>
> 15K is a good amount. Ever consider leasing?
>
> My bet, is Honda CRV.
>
> ---
> This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
> https://www.avast.com/antivirus
>


Leasing a car is not a cost effective solution for the average Joe,
especially one who loves his 24 year old hooptie....

--
Ever notice the shortage of "armed law-abiding citizen victim” tragedy
stories in the news?
- @CarmineZozzora
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 30 Jul 2015, 04:45 am
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Should I buy a used Honda?

In article <mpbamd$hv1$1@dont-email.me>, bilz2765 <bilzbs@ymail.com>
wrote:

> >
> > A colleague of mine has a Kia, and his wife has a Honda. Both bought a
> > couple years ago. He says, the Kia has a longer warranty, but we both
> > know who has the better car.
> >

>
> Used Kia, warranty does not transfer.


????? Not sure what you mean in context of what I said.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 30 Jul 2015, 12:00 pm
Alan Bowler
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Should I buy a used Honda?

On 2015-07-28 7:34 AM, dgk wrote:
> Or a Hundai or Kia? Or maybe a Ford? I don't need an SUV. Whatever I
> buy will need to be able to have a longboard on top of the car once in
> a while. That makes it tough for a Fit because of that antenna in the
> middle of the top. I'll have to see if there's any way a board can,
> well, Fit there.


Check to see if the Fit antenna can be unscrewed for when you
might have something on top. You can plug in something like an
iPod if you need audio while carrying the longboard.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 30 Jul 2015, 12:50 pm
dgk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Should I buy a used Honda?

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 13:00:49 -0400, Alan Bowler <atbowler@thinkage.ca>
wrote:

>On 2015-07-28 7:34 AM, dgk wrote:
>> Or a Hundai or Kia? Or maybe a Ford? I don't need an SUV. Whatever I
>> buy will need to be able to have a longboard on top of the car once in
>> a while. That makes it tough for a Fit because of that antenna in the
>> middle of the top. I'll have to see if there's any way a board can,
>> well, Fit there.

>
>Check to see if the Fit antenna can be unscrewed for when you
>might have something on top. You can plug in something like an
>iPod if you need audio while carrying the longboard.


I'll check. Is that a vote for the Fit?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 30 Jul 2015, 12:50 pm
dgk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Should I buy a used Honda?

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 05:45:15 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
<elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <mpbamd$hv1$1@dont-email.me>, bilz2765 <bilzbs@ymail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> >
>> > A colleague of mine has a Kia, and his wife has a Honda. Both bought a
>> > couple years ago. He says, the Kia has a longer warranty, but we both
>> > know who has the better car.
>> >

>>
>> Used Kia, warranty does not transfer.

>
>????? Not sure what you mean in context of what I said.


I think he was saying that the warranty on the Kia doesn't matter
because it isn't going to transfer to me anyway. But you're right,
it's the better car that matters, particularly if the warranty is
void.

I will look at a used Acura. But I've noticed that premium brands
require premium prices for the parts.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jul 2015, 06:56 am
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Should I buy a used Honda?

In article <dkokrats1916us3bh6ta69r2espc3o7b4q@4ax.com>,
dgk <dgk@somewhere.com> wrote:

> I will look at a used Acura. But I've noticed that premium brands
> require premium prices for the parts.


nah. Some DEALERS may charge premium prices for the parts; but since
they're the same parts as an Accord or Civic or Pilot, Acura parts are
extremely easy to come by--especially in the aftermarket or online.

It's not like Mercedes or BMW, for example.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.