Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 26 Jul 2015, 04:47 pm
Aaron Childs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 2005 Honda Civic Going Through Oil

Hey,

I own a 2005 Honda Civic. Less than 99k miles on it. About a year ago, I
noticed that it's going through oil like crazy. No visible signs of
leaking, no sign that it's burning it (no smell or sign of burning oil in
exhaust.) Dealership says it's burning oil, though, and this is "normal"
for older Hondas. I'm not digging this. Suggestion on how to handle this?
Do you recommend heavier motor oils (using recommended 5w30), and if so what
should I be using?

Thanks

A.C.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jul 2015, 07:56 am
Dave
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2005 Honda Civic Going Through Oil


Going through oil like crazy is hardly a good measure for advice. How muchdoes it use every 1000 miles (or 1000 km depending where you are)? Most makers define that using 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles is normal. This is utter poppycock, but that is what they stick to for warranty claims.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jul 2015, 09:49 am
Flatlander
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2005 Honda Civic Going Through Oil

On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 17:47:06 -0400, "Aaron Childs"
<aaronchilds@ameritech.net> wrote:

>Hey,
>
>I own a 2005 Honda Civic. Less than 99k miles on it. About a year ago, I
>noticed that it's going through oil like crazy. No visible signs of
>leaking, no sign that it's burning it (no smell or sign of burning oil in
>exhaust.) Dealership says it's burning oil, though, and this is "normal"
>for older Hondas. I'm not digging this. Suggestion on how to handle this?
>Do you recommend heavier motor oils (using recommended 5w30), and if so what
>should I be using?
>
>Thanks
>
>A.C.


"Going through oil"...how fast?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jul 2015, 07:48 pm
Aaron Childs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2005 Honda Civic Going Through Oil

About a quart or two every month. II 'd say I only put about 800 miles or
so this month. I pretty much only drive to and from work right now (about
15 miles each way), I don't get a lot of miles in.


"Flatlander" wrote in message
news:c7hcrapot3dgukso1ve22s7f37am04ps9h@4ax.com...

On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 17:47:06 -0400, "Aaron Childs"
<aaronchilds@ameritech.net> wrote:

>Hey,
>
>I own a 2005 Honda Civic. Less than 99k miles on it. About a year ago, I
>noticed that it's going through oil like crazy. No visible signs of
>leaking, no sign that it's burning it (no smell or sign of burning oil in
>exhaust.) Dealership says it's burning oil, though, and this is "normal"
>for older Hondas. I'm not digging this. Suggestion on how to handle this?
>Do you recommend heavier motor oils (using recommended 5w30), and if so
>what
>should I be using?
>
>Thanks
>
>A.C.


"Going through oil"...how fast?

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jul 2015, 06:13 am
Stewart
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2005 Honda Civic Going Through Oil


"Aaron Childs" <aaronchilds@NOSPAMMYameritech.net> wrote in message
news:mp6jek$5qh$1@dont-email.me...
> About a quart or two every month. II 'd say I only put about 800 miles or
> so this month. I pretty much only drive to and from work right now (about
> 15 miles each way), I don't get a lot of miles in.


Sounds excessive. My 04 Accord doesn't need oil between changes.

>
>
> "Flatlander" wrote in message
> news:c7hcrapot3dgukso1ve22s7f37am04ps9h@4ax.com...
>
> On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 17:47:06 -0400, "Aaron Childs"
> <aaronchilds@ameritech.net> wrote:
>
>>Hey,
>>
>>I own a 2005 Honda Civic. Less than 99k miles on it. About a year ago, I
>>noticed that it's going through oil like crazy. No visible signs of
>>leaking, no sign that it's burning it (no smell or sign of burning oil in
>>exhaust.) Dealership says it's burning oil, though, and this is "normal"
>>for older Hondas. I'm not digging this. Suggestion on how to handle
>>this?
>>Do you recommend heavier motor oils (using recommended 5w30), and if so
>>what
>>should I be using?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>A.C.

>
> "Going through oil"...how fast?




---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are the Honda V6 J30A4 (2003-2005) and the JNA1 (2005-2007 Hybrid) similar engines? Frankie Honda Technical 1 07 Jul 2013 08:01 pm
Does a 2005 Civic SI lip fit on a 2005 honda coupe ? shortymis Honda Technical 1 14 May 2011 05:01 pm
Which one better? 2005 c230 Benz or 2005 Acura TSX? bj j Acura Technical 2 15 Mar 2009 10:51 pm
Acura RSX, 2005 or 2006. why does consumer report say 2005 is better? melodyislove Acura Technical 1 27 Jan 2008 02:31 pm
Can I get my 2005 Ford Mustang Gt engine put in my 2005 Honda Civic LX? SJC Young Money Honda Technical 6 25 Oct 2007 10:27 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.