Honda Car Forum

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Apr 2015, 02:40 am
Kevin Lee

Default 98 V6 Accord cat vs Ignition diagnosis? 300k

Vehicle: 98 Acccord EXV6 non-CA emissions 300k. All stock. Last tune-up at approx 130k. Oem exhaust system still on car. In last 3-6 months have had "insufficient EGR flow" DTC, a Bank 1 or Bank 2 O2 DTC, and a cat DTC code....I think. They come and go. Check engine light has come and gone, too. Randomly I would reset the OBDII just to see what the recurrence rate was. Usually within 1-3 days the light would be on and one of the codes would be there.
-
More importantly, suddenly last week in my morning drive I accelerated and it was as if the fuel was shut off....not low power, but NO acceleration/power episodes between 50-65mph. Hold my foot to the floor and it would eventually revive and lurch as power came back for 2-10 seconds and then repeat.Only way to get back up to 65-70mph was to "pulse" the accelerator with myfoot for sporadic acceleration. Originally,no probs below 50mph (around town, let's say)...and if I could get it past 60 or 65 it would resume normalbehavior.
-
Now, it seems the problem-range of mph's for this power-shut-down is expanding above and below 50-65mph. Almost stalled once coming to a stop at an off ramp. Have notice some marked stumbling, though randomly and short-lived,at idle. Now too dangerous to put on the highway.
-
I know tune-up is way past due...and cat is likely on it's 9th life, BUT how do I differentiate and keep my costs down while getting my normal/typicalperformance back. May have 2 culprits here contributing, but I could do a tune-up after the fact if the cat will get me out of the danger zone on theinterstate. Help?

Kevin