Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 28 Nov 2014, 10:13 am
Charlie Roberts
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Manual transmission life -- Accord 2013



Just curious what the expected life of the Accord's
manual transmission is. I understand that it depends
on the driver, etc. That is why "expected life".

I have had a Subaru one fall apart after 75 Kmiles,
but the replacement went beyond 100 Kmiles .. and
was still fine when I gave away the car. Looks like
Subarus have a wide variation. How about Honda?

cr
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 28 Nov 2014, 01:45 pm
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Manual transmission life -- Accord 2013

In article <si7h7a515dd07oi43j0ufua2t79esgai12@4ax.com>,
Charlie Roberts <crobert@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just curious what the expected life of the Accord's
> manual transmission is. I understand that it depends
> on the driver, etc. That is why "expected life".
>
> I have had a Subaru one fall apart after 75 Kmiles,
> but the replacement went beyond 100 Kmiles .. and
> was still fine when I gave away the car. Looks like
> Subarus have a wide variation. How about Honda?
>
> cr


I've never heard of problems with Honda manual transmissions.

A Honda 4 cylinder manual transmission car is about as bulletproof as
you can get. But Honda has shown, once they go beyond that they're out
of their comfort zone and abilities.

Anyway, I have a 2003 Civic Hybrid with manual transmission. It still
shifts as smooth as the day it was built. 115K miles on it.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 28 Nov 2014, 06:29 pm
JRStern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Manual transmission life -- Accord 2013

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 14:45:31 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
<elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <si7h7a515dd07oi43j0ufua2t79esgai12@4ax.com>,
> Charlie Roberts <crobert@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Just curious what the expected life of the Accord's
>> manual transmission is. I understand that it depends
>> on the driver, etc. That is why "expected life".
>>
>> I have had a Subaru one fall apart after 75 Kmiles,
>> but the replacement went beyond 100 Kmiles .. and
>> was still fine when I gave away the car. Looks like
>> Subarus have a wide variation. How about Honda?
>>
>> cr

>
>I've never heard of problems with Honda manual transmissions.
>
>A Honda 4 cylinder manual transmission car is about as bulletproof as
>you can get. But Honda has shown, once they go beyond that they're out
>of their comfort zone and abilities.
>
>Anyway, I have a 2003 Civic Hybrid with manual transmission. It still
>shifts as smooth as the day it was built. 115K miles on it.


If you find an Accord with a manual transmission, it probably comes
with a unicorn to tow you home in case you need it.

J.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 29 Nov 2014, 07:26 am
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Manual transmission life -- Accord 2013

In article <2r4i7almccqbrtgv28f4s5nln1tbtbc8ar@4ax.com>,
JRStern <JRStern@foobar.invalid> wrote:

> >Anyway, I have a 2003 Civic Hybrid with manual transmission. It still
> >shifts as smooth as the day it was built. 115K miles on it.

>
> If you find an Accord with a manual transmission, it probably comes
> with a unicorn to tow you home in case you need it.


2 doors, that's easy.

Oh, wait--4 doors, too. With leather, even. Just like the 2000 model I
had.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 29 Nov 2014, 07:36 am
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Manual transmission life -- Accord 2013

Charlie Roberts <crobert@gmail.com> wrote in
news:si7h7a515dd07oi43j0ufua2t79esgai12@4ax.com:

>
>
> Just curious what the expected life of the Accord's
> manual transmission is. I understand that it depends
> on the driver, etc. That is why "expected life".




The transmission will last the life of the car, even if that life is
400,000 miles.

However, to achieve that longevity, you must do several things:
1) change the fluid according to the Owner's Manual, or sooner
2) use genuine Honda MTF (NO aftermarket fluids!)
3) don't speed-shift or force the lever into gear; give the lever time to
drop into gear
4) for BONUS points: double-clutch your downshifts


--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 29 Nov 2014, 03:29 pm
JRStern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Manual transmission life -- Accord 2013

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 08:26:08 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
<elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <2r4i7almccqbrtgv28f4s5nln1tbtbc8ar@4ax.com>,
> JRStern <JRStern@foobar.invalid> wrote:
>
>> >Anyway, I have a 2003 Civic Hybrid with manual transmission. It still
>> >shifts as smooth as the day it was built. 115K miles on it.

>>
>> If you find an Accord with a manual transmission, it probably comes
>> with a unicorn to tow you home in case you need it.

>
>2 doors, that's easy.
>
>Oh, wait--4 doors, too. With leather, even. Just like the 2000 model I
>had.


Well hey, I had one in 1987! But they've become rarer with each model
change, last time I asked only available in silver (for the four-door
and four-cylinder), might be one or two at dealers in Southern
California in a given month, or zero. I think officially even the
Acura TLX can come with one, no idea if it's any more common there
anymore. I guess they harsh Honda's clean air stats or something,
compared to the computer-controlled autos.

J.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 29 Nov 2014, 03:41 pm
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Manual transmission life -- Accord 2013

In article <1eek7almfalgl9bucmhp0aombrg3838nrb@4ax.com>,
JRStern <JRStern@foobar.invalid> wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 08:26:08 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <2r4i7almccqbrtgv28f4s5nln1tbtbc8ar@4ax.com>,
> > JRStern <JRStern@foobar.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> >Anyway, I have a 2003 Civic Hybrid with manual transmission. It still
> >> >shifts as smooth as the day it was built. 115K miles on it.
> >>
> >> If you find an Accord with a manual transmission, it probably comes
> >> with a unicorn to tow you home in case you need it.

> >
> >2 doors, that's easy.
> >
> >Oh, wait--4 doors, too. With leather, even. Just like the 2000 model I
> >had.

>
> Well hey, I had one in 1987! But they've become rarer with each model
> change, last time I asked only available in silver (for the four-door
> and four-cylinder), might be one or two at dealers in Southern
> California in a given month, or zero. I think officially even the
> Acura TLX can come with one, no idea if it's any more common there
> anymore. I guess they harsh Honda's clean air stats or something,
> compared to the computer-controlled autos.
>
> J.


You can buy a new Accord with manual trans, up to the EX model. But
EX-L, EX-L V6, and Touring are all CVT.

It's a shame. Leather with a manual transmission is a wonderful thing.
But I guess one could always go aftermarket on the leather.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 29 Nov 2014, 08:32 pm
JRStern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Manual transmission life -- Accord 2013

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 16:41:18 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
<elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <1eek7almfalgl9bucmhp0aombrg3838nrb@4ax.com>,
> JRStern <JRStern@foobar.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 08:26:08 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
>> <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <2r4i7almccqbrtgv28f4s5nln1tbtbc8ar@4ax.com>,
>> > JRStern <JRStern@foobar.invalid> wrote:
>> >
>> >> >Anyway, I have a 2003 Civic Hybrid with manual transmission. It still
>> >> >shifts as smooth as the day it was built. 115K miles on it.
>> >>
>> >> If you find an Accord with a manual transmission, it probably comes
>> >> with a unicorn to tow you home in case you need it.
>> >
>> >2 doors, that's easy.
>> >
>> >Oh, wait--4 doors, too. With leather, even. Just like the 2000 model I
>> >had.

>>
>> Well hey, I had one in 1987! But they've become rarer with each model
>> change, last time I asked only available in silver (for the four-door
>> and four-cylinder), might be one or two at dealers in Southern
>> California in a given month, or zero. I think officially even the
>> Acura TLX can come with one, no idea if it's any more common there
>> anymore. I guess they harsh Honda's clean air stats or something,
>> compared to the computer-controlled autos.
>>
>> J.

>
>You can buy a new Accord with manual trans, up to the EX model. But
>EX-L, EX-L V6, and Touring are all CVT.
>
>It's a shame. Leather with a manual transmission is a wonderful thing.
>But I guess one could always go aftermarket on the leather.


I dunno, the modern auto trans gets better performance and better
mileage, what you gonna do? The engines are designed for the auto
trans, or I'd want something with shorter stroke happier at high revs
like in olden days.

Maybe some day, when we get electric valve actuators that are
infinitely programmable, and manual trans and reving and stuff will
produce cleaner air. Or course by then it will be robots driving
exactly the speed limit and six inches from the bumper of the car
ahead, while we cower in the back seats.

J.


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05 Dec 2014, 05:09 pm
Charlie Roberts
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Manual transmission life -- Accord 2013

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 14:45:31 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
<elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <si7h7a515dd07oi43j0ufua2t79esgai12@4ax.com>,
> Charlie Roberts <crobert@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Just curious what the expected life of the Accord's
>> manual transmission is. I understand that it depends
>> on the driver, etc. That is why "expected life".
>>
>> I have had a Subaru one fall apart after 75 Kmiles,
>> but the replacement went beyond 100 Kmiles .. and
>> was still fine when I gave away the car. Looks like
>> Subarus have a wide variation. How about Honda?
>>
>> cr

>
>I've never heard of problems with Honda manual transmissions.
>
>A Honda 4 cylinder manual transmission car is about as bulletproof as
>you can get. But Honda has shown, once they go beyond that they're out
>of their comfort zone and abilities.


Ah! The 2013 Accord is a 6 gear monster. So, not so good news?
Let us just see ...

>
>Anyway, I have a 2003 Civic Hybrid with manual transmission. It still
>shifts as smooth as the day it was built. 115K miles on it.

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05 Dec 2014, 05:12 pm
Charlie Roberts
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Manual transmission life -- Accord 2013

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 16:29:53 -0800, JRStern <JRStern@foobar.invalid>
wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 14:45:31 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
><elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
>
>>In article <si7h7a515dd07oi43j0ufua2t79esgai12@4ax.com>,
>> Charlie Roberts <crobert@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Just curious what the expected life of the Accord's
>>> manual transmission is. I understand that it depends
>>> on the driver, etc. That is why "expected life".
>>>
>>> I have had a Subaru one fall apart after 75 Kmiles,
>>> but the replacement went beyond 100 Kmiles .. and
>>> was still fine when I gave away the car. Looks like
>>> Subarus have a wide variation. How about Honda?
>>>
>>> cr

>>
>>I've never heard of problems with Honda manual transmissions.
>>
>>A Honda 4 cylinder manual transmission car is about as bulletproof as
>>you can get. But Honda has shown, once they go beyond that they're out
>>of their comfort zone and abilities.
>>
>>Anyway, I have a 2003 Civic Hybrid with manual transmission. It still
>>shifts as smooth as the day it was built. 115K miles on it.

>
>If you find an Accord with a manual transmission, it probably comes
>with a unicorn to tow you home in case you need it.


I did find one in Dec 2012! Well, barely. It back to the old Ford
days: You can have any colour you want as long as it is Grungy
Grey or Sickening Silver ... and, by the way, the interior is
black or black or black.

Last time with a black interior, though. Awful to maintain.
So, perhaps, the last Honda.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What manual transmission will fit a 99 accord v6? Matt Honda Technical 1 24 Oct 2012 12:38 am
Acura TL 2000, transmission life? jane Acura Technical 3 17 Apr 2010 09:31 pm
Auto Transmission...life left??? B3@ch B@LL Honda Technical 7 04 Sep 2007 02:50 pm
2003 Accord EX V6 Manual Transmission Boegy3@gmail.com Honda 3 4 04 Apr 2006 10:33 pm
1987 Manual Transmission Accord DX - Testing Transmission/Gears?? Ken Abrahamsen Honda 2 4 26 Oct 2004 08:01 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.