Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 23 Nov 2014, 12:20 pm
JRStern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default You can move between D and S while the car is moving!!!

Now, I actually opened up my owner's manual and read it and did not
have my question answered, so don't try that on me!

I've wondered since I got this CVT-equiped Accord whether it was safe
and sane to move the shift from D to S and from S to D while the car
was in motion. Intellectually I know it's all drive by wire and it
SHOULD be safe, and that if it were not safe there should be
mechanical lockouts, and yet READING THE MANUAL it does not ever quite
say that it's OK to do this while the car is moving, the engine
engaged, etc. So ****, I finally tried it - and there was no lockout
and there was no gnashing of gears and flying shrapnel, and I lived to
tell the story. The shifting algorithm changed, and all was well.

Hurray!

Now if Honda would just make the shift lever a much lighter video-game
style click shift like BMW, appropriate to a drive by wire system, it
would all be over.

J.

ps - or would be when I finally call the dealer and see if they can
add paddle shifters to my 2013 EXL, as they are apparently included on
the 2015 EXL. but then I only have about ten months left on the lease
and I'm a little queasy about what they would charge to add paddles
even if they can do it.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 23 Nov 2014, 10:16 pm
Jim
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: You can move between D and S while the car is moving!!!

On 11/23/2014 11:20, JRStern wrote:
> Now, I actually opened up my owner's manual and read it and did not
> have my question answered, so don't try that on me!
>
> I've wondered since I got this CVT-equiped Accord whether it was safe
> and sane to move the shift from D to S and from S to D while the car
> was in motion. Intellectually I know it's all drive by wire and it
> SHOULD be safe, and that if it were not safe there should be
> mechanical lockouts, and yet READING THE MANUAL it does not ever quite
> say that it's OK to do this while the car is moving, the engine
> engaged, etc. So ****, I finally tried it - and there was no lockout
> and there was no gnashing of gears and flying shrapnel, and I lived to
> tell the story. The shifting algorithm changed, and all was well.
>
> Hurray!
>
> Now if Honda would just make the shift lever a much lighter video-game
> style click shift like BMW, appropriate to a drive by wire system, it
> would all be over.
>
> J.
>
> ps - or would be when I finally call the dealer and see if they can
> add paddle shifters to my 2013 EXL, as they are apparently included on
> the 2015 EXL. but then I only have about ten months left on the lease
> and I'm a little queasy about what they would charge to add paddles
> even if they can do it.
>

I've occasionally found that when I first started I was in S instead of
D (still not fully used to looking at an LCD display to determine what
gear I am in) and always switched directly to D without stopping the car
and never heard or felt anything unusual.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 24 Nov 2014, 05:40 am
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: You can move between D and S while the car is moving!!!

In article <ed547ad4ah7rjg8icc5rh3dcfo3mm9993p@4ax.com>,
JRStern <JRStern@foobar.invalid> wrote:

> I've wondered since I got this CVT-equiped Accord whether it was safe
> and sane to move the shift from D to S and from S to D while the car
> was in motion.


Yes, it's fine.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 24 Nov 2014, 11:57 am
JRStern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: You can move between D and S while the car is moving!!!

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 05:40:20 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
<elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <ed547ad4ah7rjg8icc5rh3dcfo3mm9993p@4ax.com>,
> JRStern <JRStern@foobar.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I've wondered since I got this CVT-equiped Accord whether it was safe
>> and sane to move the shift from D to S and from S to D while the car
>> was in motion.

>
>Yes, it's fine.


I mean sure it is, it could and maybe should be a button like the Econ
mode but how many buttons really can they fit on the dashboard?

J.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 24 Nov 2014, 12:15 pm
Alan Bowler
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: You can move between D and S while the car is moving!!!

On 2014-11-23 12:20 PM, JRStern wrote:
> Now, I actually opened up my owner's manual and read it and did not
> have my question answered, so don't try that on me!
>
> I've wondered since I got this CVT-equiped Accord whether it was safe
> and sane to move the shift from D to S and from S to D while the car
> was in motion. Intellectually I know it's all drive by wire and it
> SHOULD be safe, and that if it were not safe there should be
> mechanical lockouts, and yet READING THE MANUAL it does not ever quite
> say that it's OK to do this while the car is moving, the engine
> engaged, etc. So ****, I finally tried it - and there was no lockout
> and there was no gnashing of gears and flying shrapnel, and I lived to
> tell the story. The shifting algorithm changed, and all was well.


Yes it is safe, and normal to switch back and forth between D and S
in areas with long downhill stretches that need engine braking.
If it is like my 2003 HCH shifting you should not push the
shift button to switch between the forward gearing ranges.
(So you won't accidentally move past D to N.)
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 24 Nov 2014, 01:40 pm
JRStern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: You can move between D and S while the car is moving!!!

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 12:15:35 -0500, Alan Bowler <atbowler@thinkage.ca>
wrote:

>On 2014-11-23 12:20 PM, JRStern wrote:
>> Now, I actually opened up my owner's manual and read it and did not
>> have my question answered, so don't try that on me!
>>
>> I've wondered since I got this CVT-equiped Accord whether it was safe
>> and sane to move the shift from D to S and from S to D while the car
>> was in motion. Intellectually I know it's all drive by wire and it
>> SHOULD be safe, and that if it were not safe there should be
>> mechanical lockouts, and yet READING THE MANUAL it does not ever quite
>> say that it's OK to do this while the car is moving, the engine
>> engaged, etc. So ****, I finally tried it - and there was no lockout
>> and there was no gnashing of gears and flying shrapnel, and I lived to
>> tell the story. The shifting algorithm changed, and all was well.

>
>Yes it is safe, and normal to switch back and forth between D and S
>in areas with long downhill stretches that need engine braking.
>If it is like my 2003 HCH shifting you should not push the
>shift button to switch between the forward gearing ranges.
>(So you won't accidentally move past D to N.)


"S" is sport, "L" is engine braking.

Seems you do need to squeeze the shift button before the lever will
move even between "D" and "S" and I presume "L" which is past the "S".

"S" is much more responsive and drivable in stop and go traffic,
hardly the "sport" mode. Mostly the whole CVT algorithm needs work.
And/or paddle shifters.

J.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 25 Nov 2014, 01:11 pm
Alan Bowler
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: You can move between D and S while the car is moving!!!

On 2014-11-24 1:40 PM, JRStern wrote
>
> "S" is sport, "L" is engine braking.
>
> Seems you do need to squeeze the shift button before the lever will
> move even between "D" and "S" and I presume "L" which is past the "S".


Urban legend. No "S" is NOT "Sport", it is a lower gear range
and does give you engine braking, just not as much as "L".
Only only really long steep hills or ones that needed a slow
speed for tight curves have I found the need to use "L".
>
> "S" is much more responsive and drivable in stop and go traffic,
> hardly the "sport" mode. Mostly the whole CVT algorithm needs work.
> And/or paddle shifters.


"S" may seem more responsive because the engine is revving higher
and if you are not using it for engine braking it is burning
more gas. You will get about the same responce in "D" if you
simply push a bit more on the gas.

It is more accurate if you think of it as "Second" like the "2"
old 3 speed automatics.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 25 Nov 2014, 02:52 pm
JRStern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: You can move between D and S while the car is moving!!!

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 13:11:57 -0500, Alan Bowler <atbowler@thinkage.ca>
wrote:

>On 2014-11-24 1:40 PM, JRStern wrote
>>
>> "S" is sport, "L" is engine braking.
>>
>> Seems you do need to squeeze the shift button before the lever will
>> move even between "D" and "S" and I presume "L" which is past the "S".

>
>Urban legend. No "S" is NOT "Sport", it is a lower gear range
>and does give you engine braking, just not as much as "L".
>Only only really long steep hills or ones that needed a slow
>speed for tight curves have I found the need to use "L".
>>
>> "S" is much more responsive and drivable in stop and go traffic,
>> hardly the "sport" mode. Mostly the whole CVT algorithm needs work.
>> And/or paddle shifters.

>
>"S" may seem more responsive because the engine is revving higher
>and if you are not using it for engine braking it is burning
>more gas. You will get about the same responce in "D" if you
>simply push a bit more on the gas.


Not at all, all these modern engines (and trannies) have algorithmic
curves and limits no matter how hard you mash the pedal.

>It is more accurate if you think of it as "Second" like the "2"
>old 3 speed automatics.


Automatic transmissions have always been problematic about allowing
engine braking, it does seem to happen even on the CVT and I'm a bit
surprised at that.

What difference that leaves between "S" and "L" is still unclear to
me. But I cannot get the same behavior out of the car in "D" that I
do in "S". A smarter "D" algorithm would read pedal movements better
and would allow something closer - I wish, even driving in "S", that
sometimes the CVT would relax a little more and upshift if no
acceleration is being demanded.

FWIW in standard urban driving the "S" setting seemed to use about 15%
more gas than the "D" setting - which is already a pig in urban
driving, and unresponsive to boot. The "Econ" setting saves maybe 10%
over "D" and is marginally even less responsive.

J.

ps - I just now finally called the dealer and asked about adding
paddle shifters to the 2013 and the service rep's take, after asking
somebody (?), was that no, they couldn't add them at the dealer.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving a car using AAA? Attila Honda Technical 2 08 Jun 2012 12:17 am
These Objects Are'nt Really Moving skylight Honda Videos 0 08 Mar 2010 07:30 pm
moving ecu in Honda CRV? Barry W Honda Technical 2 04 Nov 2007 12:21 pm
Noise on moving Bryan Canter Honda 2 8 17 Dec 2003 12:03 pm
Re: Moving AC compressor on Civic VX Gary H Honda 1 2 26 Aug 2003 04:44 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.