Honda Car Forum

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Oct 2014, 03:29 am
Adsiz

Default 2001 Honda Civic EX MIL on with Misfire codes

I have a Honda Civic 2001 EX Coupe and I have been getting Malfunction Indicator light (MIL) on for some time.

It would come and go which we, at the time, attributed to gas tank cap nor being good perhaps. Anyways, recently I replaced the cap with the new one that I bought from the dealer and problem continued. Car was running OK.

Recently I felt there is somewhat less power in the car.
I got codes read in O'Reily part stores and there was a few misfire codes and if I remember correctly also P0420.

I got the spark plugs changed in an autoshop. They did not reset the codesas their diagnostic tool was in repair at the time.
I got codes read in O'Reily again, no change. So they reset the codes for me.
After a while MIL was on again.

So I bought a set of ignition coils from Auto Zone and replaced them myself..
The problem continued.

Someone suggested in Cargurus auto discussion group that I might have fuel pressure issues and that I should get it checked. I did that. Shop foremanused a fancy hand held diagnostic device with which he was getting misfirein cylinder 3 and also random misfires. He suggested I add one can of fuel injector cleaner to a full tank of gas and that should fix the problem. He said he did not see any other problems.

I added the fuel injector cleaner to a full tank. Problem continued.

Afterwards I bought a Diagnostic and code reader device and started monitoring codes myself. After resetting codes I would get P0303 (cylinder 3 misfire) after 20 miles or so driving.

But after a few days of driving, I am now getting misfire code on all cylinders , random misfire code (P0300) and P0420 which is related to catalyticconverter in general. Freeze data only recorded P0303 related info.

Anyone knows what could be the problem?
Old 18 Oct 2014, 08:22 am
Nathan Nagel

Default Re: 2001 Honda Civic EX MIL on with Misfire codes

On Saturday, October 18, 2014 4:29:40 AM UTC-4, Adsiz wrote:
> I have a Honda Civic 2001 EX Coupe and I have been getting Malfunction Indicator light (MIL) on for some time.
>
>
>
> It would come and go which we, at the time, attributed to gas tank cap nor being good perhaps. Anyways, recently I replaced the cap with the new onethat I bought from the dealer and problem continued. Car was running OK.
>
>
>
> Recently I felt there is somewhat less power in the car.
>
> I got codes read in O'Reily part stores and there was a few misfire codesand if I remember correctly also P0420.
>
>
>
> I got the spark plugs changed in an autoshop. They did not reset the codes as their diagnostic tool was in repair at the time.
>
> I got codes read in O'Reily again, no change. So they reset the codes forme.
>
> After a while MIL was on again.
>
>
>
> So I bought a set of ignition coils from Auto Zone and replaced them myself.
>
> The problem continued.
>
>
>
> Someone suggested in Cargurus auto discussion group that I might have fuel pressure issues and that I should get it checked. I did that. Shop foreman used a fancy hand held diagnostic device with which he was getting misfire in cylinder 3 and also random misfires. He suggested I add one can of fuel injector cleaner to a full tank of gas and that should fix the problem.. He said he did not see any other problems.
>
>
>
> I added the fuel injector cleaner to a full tank. Problem continued.
>
>
>
> Afterwards I bought a Diagnostic and code reader device and started monitoring codes myself. After resetting codes I would get P0303 (cylinder 3 misfire) after 20 miles or so driving.
>
>
>
> But after a few days of driving, I am now getting misfire code on all cylinders , random misfire code (P0300) and P0420 which is related to catalytic converter in general. Freeze data only recorded P0303 related info.
>
>
>
> Anyone knows what could be the problem?

P0420 is "catalyst efficiency below threshold" which means basically eitheryour cat is shot or the downstream (of cat) O2 sensor has failed.

The misfires, you're just going to have to troubleshoot those... I would start with the misfire codes first and work on the 420 later, because a) fixing that code is going to be expensive, unless you find a wiring fault related to the downstream O2 sensor and b) a 420 code is an emissions failure, but that by itself does not indicate a problem that could damage anything in your vehicle if you continue driving with that code present, nor does anything that could cause it cause any kind of driveability issues.

before you dump a lot of $$$ in this car, have you started with the basics?Compression OK?

Another thought - if you're feeling down on power, can you drop the cat fortesting and if you run with open exhaust does it feel like the power is back? I'm not sure if a plugged cat will throw misfire codes but it will definitely cause you do be down on power and I'm thinking could possibly causemisfires... not sure why on #3 first and then the others though, I would think it would be all pretty random.

nate
Old 18 Oct 2014, 05:39 pm
Tegger

Adsiz <n.gulunay@gmail.com> wrote in
news:1029b8ee-40a5-4f97-bb93-829c19387b2f@googlegroups.com:
>
> But after a few days of driving, I am now getting misfire code on all
> cylinders , random misfire code (P0300) and P0420 which is related to
> catalytic converter in general. Freeze data only recorded P0303
> related info.
>

Check the ignition components and wiring.

There is a TSB (05-027) out for the '96-'00 Civic which blames poor igniter
connections inside the distributor for very similar symptons. It's possible
the same problem has developed over time on your '01 car, or there may be
chafed wires somewhere.

--
Tegger
Old 19 Oct 2014, 01:43 am
Adsiz

On Saturday, October 18, 2014 3:29:40 AM UTC-5, Adsiz wrote:
> I have a Honda Civic 2001 EX Coupe and I have been getting Malfunction Indicator light (MIL) on for some time.
>
>
>
> It would come and go which we, at the time, attributed to gas tank cap nor being good perhaps. Anyways, recently I replaced the cap with the new onethat I bought from the dealer and problem continued. Car was running OK.
>
>
>
> Recently I felt there is somewhat less power in the car.
>
> I got codes read in O'Reily part stores and there was a few misfire codesand if I remember correctly also P0420.
>
>
>
> I got the spark plugs changed in an autoshop. They did not reset the codes as their diagnostic tool was in repair at the time.
>
> I got codes read in O'Reily again, no change. So they reset the codes forme.
>
> After a while MIL was on again.
>
>
>
> So I bought a set of ignition coils from Auto Zone and replaced them myself.
>
> The problem continued.
>
>
>
> Someone suggested in Cargurus auto discussion group that I might have fuel pressure issues and that I should get it checked. I did that. Shop foreman used a fancy hand held diagnostic device with which he was getting misfire in cylinder 3 and also random misfires. He suggested I add one can of fuel injector cleaner to a full tank of gas and that should fix the problem.. He said he did not see any other problems.
>
>
>
> I added the fuel injector cleaner to a full tank. Problem continued.
>
>
>
> Afterwards I bought a Diagnostic and code reader device and started monitoring codes myself. After resetting codes I would get P0303 (cylinder 3 misfire) after 20 miles or so driving.
>
>
>
> But after a few days of driving, I am now getting misfire code on all cylinders , random misfire code (P0300) and P0420 which is related to catalytic converter in general. Freeze data only recorded P0303 related info.
>
>
>
> Anyone knows what could be the problem?

Thank you Nathan and thank you Tegger for your valuable comments. I will follow up and perhaps post again.
Old 19 Oct 2014, 11:03 am
Elmo P. Shagnasty

In article <71598ed5-fb3f-449a-9d67-5cc449c94e06@googlegroups.com>,
Nathan Nagel <n8nagel@gmail.com> wrote:

> P0420 is "catalyst efficiency below threshold" which means basically either
> your cat is shot or the downstream (of cat) O2 sensor has failed.

wasn't there a bulletin for that?

Maybe not for 2001. But I think there's a bulletin for that for the 03
generation cars. It's an issue with the computer programming, that they
fix with a flash.
Old 01 Jan 2015, 11:59 am
Adsiz

Thank you all for replying.
Interesting developments took place since my last post. Basically the problem is still there but the pressure to solve it is less as I gave up and bought a small new car. I will keep this car in the garage and work on it or get it worked on as I think of likely solutions.

Currently I am getting misfires on cylinders 2,3 and 4 and random misfire. If I drive some more I expect to get cylinder 1 misfire code as well. I hadsuspected this was due to mismatching spark plugs that a shop installed but replacing them yesterday with OEM plugs (NGK PZFRF-11) did not change thesituation as I am getting misfires on the same cylinders. I now know plugsare good, ignitions coils are new and good, compression on cylinders are all good (around 170-180 psi) and there is no vacuum leak (smoke test is done). Car is running excellent even when codes are on (not problem even with steady 70-80 mph speed). Having difficulty having all monitors (8 out of 8)getting ready. But occasionally I get P0420 when all monitors are set to ready after days of driving, pointing to cat. But one shop (and Honda dealer) said car could not run this good if CAT Converter was bad. Dealer suggested to get valve clearance check. I have some vibration front right, it is likely a warped brake rotor. I read somewhere that brakes and jerky transmission could be source of misfire codes. Do you think my vibrating brake (shimmy?) could be causing the source of misfire codes?

By the way, Happy New Year everyone.
Old 01 Jan 2015, 10:42 pm
Elmo P. Shagnasty

In article <3137cdfe-f7a2-4447-85b2-fe2c9a7195f6@googlegroups.com>,
Adsiz <n.gulunay@gmail.com> wrote:

> But occasionally I get P0420 when all monitors are set to ready after days of
> driving, pointing to cat.

On my 03, there's a software flash to address this anomalous code.

My dealership service manager didn't hesitate to perform this. What the
hell, it's money for him and takes only a few minutes.

Regardless, there was a service bulletin on this for 03. Might be worth
looking into for 01.
Old 02 Jan 2015, 03:46 am
Adsiz

Thank you Elmo. I will try to find out if there is a service bulletin for flash update for ECU for 2001 Civic EX as well.
Old 03 Jan 2015, 01:22 pm
Geoff Welsh

Adsiz wrote:
> .......But occasionally I get P0420 when all monitors are set
> to ready after days of driving, pointing to cat. But one shop (and
> Honda dealer) said car could not run this good if CAT Converter was
> bad. ..........

That's BS. If the cat were PLUGGED, the car would run like shit, or not
at all. But if the cat is just old and has gently worn out over time,
which is what a P0420 suggests, then the car would run fine.

> Dealer suggested to get valve clearance check.

incorrect Valve adjustment is a legitimate possible source of misfires
on Honda.

> I have some
> vibration front right, it is likely a warped brake rotor. I read
> somewhere that brakes and jerky transmission could be source of
> misfire codes. Do you think my vibrating brake (shimmy?) could be
> causing the source of misfire codes?

I doubt it, but the better question is, "is the car actually misfiring,
or are you chasing phantom codes?"

GW
Old 04 Jan 2015, 01:06 pm
Adsiz

Thank you Geoff. I think you are suggesting ECU is the problem. If so, I wonder if the flash update that was suggested earlier will be sufficient or not. I suppose I may need to get the ECU replaced. Does anyone know if there is a health check (self check) for the ECU?