Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01 May 2014, 09:18 am
Travis Bickle
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default One More Time: A/T Flush vs. Drain/Refill

For 2-3 minutes after cold start up in the morning, my '07 Accord V6
with only 50K properly maintained miles chugs and is rough under load,
especially just before the shift point when it's straining a little.
Cold engine start/run is normal and engine diagnosis is OK. After warm
up, car shifts just fine. Consensus is A/T fluid needs to be changed.

Some dealers say flush, some say drain/refill-- but Honda service
bulletin says drain and refill 3X only which is what owner's manual
specifies also. Also talked to some transmission repair places too.

Not sure what to do here. Doesn't look all that hard to drain/refill
myself and that's a lot cheaper than what's being quoted for dealer
flush or drain/refill. But if flushing will clean it out better, maybe
do that?

--
Everyone brings joy to my life. Some when they enter it and some when
they leave it.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01 May 2014, 11:12 am
MLD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: One More Time: A/T Flush vs. Drain/Refill


"Travis Bickle" <3S96@taxi.net> wrote in message
news:ljtl43$ha2$1@news.albasani.net...
> For 2-3 minutes after cold start up in the morning, my '07 Accord V6 with
> only 50K properly maintained miles chugs and is rough under load,
> especially just before the shift point when it's straining a little. Cold
> engine start/run is normal and engine diagnosis is OK. After warm up, car
> shifts just fine. Consensus is A/T fluid needs to be changed.
>
> Some dealers say flush, some say drain/refill-- but Honda service bulletin
> says drain and refill 3X only which is what owner's manual specifies also.
> Also talked to some transmission repair places too.
>
> Not sure what to do here. Doesn't look all that hard to drain/refill
> myself and that's a lot cheaper than what's being quoted for dealer flush
> or drain/refill. But if flushing will clean it out better, maybe do that?
>
> --
> Everyone brings joy to my life. Some when they enter it and some when they
> leave it.


7 years old--my take would be to drain and refill. Flush can cause more
troubles then it cures--stirring up debris that's best left alone.
MLD

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01 May 2014, 11:34 am
Al
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: One More Time: A/T Flush vs. Drain/Refill

It is very easy to do, easier than changing oil - so if you can change
oil you can do it.

I just did my 07 v6 a few weeks ago because at 90000 it was looking
brownish rather than reddish. I have not noticed any difference in
shifting, but I didn't have a problem to start with either.

The Honda recommended fluid is now Honda DW-1 (and not the Honda ATF-Z1
that your book says). Personally I would not mess around with using
anything other than the Honda fluid.

It's easy to drain, a 3/8 ratchet or breaker bar fits into the plug.
It's probably a good idea to use a new crush washer on the final fill,
buy one for a few cents when you get the fluid.

You do not refill the trans through the dipstick tube. There is a fill
plug approx 8 inches straight back toward the firewall from where the
dipstick tube is. Mine had a red mark and is stamped "ATF". The plug
is assessable with a socket and extension but mine was extremely tight
and required 2ft of cheater bar.




On 5/1/2014 10:18 AM, Travis Bickle wrote:
> For 2-3 minutes after cold start up in the morning, my '07 Accord V6
> with only 50K properly maintained miles chugs and is rough under load,
> especially just before the shift point when it's straining a little.
> Cold engine start/run is normal and engine diagnosis is OK. After warm
> up, car shifts just fine. Consensus is A/T fluid needs to be changed.
>
> Some dealers say flush, some say drain/refill-- but Honda service
> bulletin says drain and refill 3X only which is what owner's manual
> specifies also. Also talked to some transmission repair places too.
>
> Not sure what to do here. Doesn't look all that hard to drain/refill
> myself and that's a lot cheaper than what's being quoted for dealer
> flush or drain/refill. But if flushing will clean it out better, maybe
> do that?
>


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01 May 2014, 12:00 pm
JRStern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: One More Time: A/T Flush vs. Drain/Refill

On Thu, 01 May 2014 10:18:42 -0400, Travis Bickle <3S96@taxi.net>
wrote:

>For 2-3 minutes after cold start up in the morning, my '07 Accord V6
>with only 50K properly maintained miles chugs and is rough under load,
>especially just before the shift point when it's straining a little.
>Cold engine start/run is normal and engine diagnosis is OK. After warm
>up, car shifts just fine. Consensus is A/T fluid needs to be changed.
>
>Some dealers say flush, some say drain/refill-- but Honda service
>bulletin says drain and refill 3X only which is what owner's manual
>specifies also. Also talked to some transmission repair places too.
>
>Not sure what to do here. Doesn't look all that hard to drain/refill
>myself and that's a lot cheaper than what's being quoted for dealer
>flush or drain/refill. But if flushing will clean it out better, maybe
>do that?


I'd say drain and refill more often, rather than flush less often,
would be likely to have best results. Especially if Honda recommends
drain and refill!

My experience with Honda trannies with more than a few miles is that
once they start acting funny the new fluid helps for only a short
while, couple of months. I had all dealer service so assume it was
just drain/refill.

J.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01 May 2014, 09:39 pm
Unquestionably Confused
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: One More Time: A/T Flush vs. Drain/Refill

On 5/1/2014 12:00 PM, JRStern wrote:
> On Thu, 01 May 2014 10:18:42 -0400, Travis Bickle <3S96@taxi.net>


[Snip}
>> Not sure what to do here. Doesn't look all that hard to drain/refill
>> myself and that's a lot cheaper than what's being quoted for dealer
>> flush or drain/refill. But if flushing will clean it out better, maybe
>> do that?

>
> I'd say drain and refill more often, rather than flush less often,
> would be likely to have best results. Especially if Honda recommends
> drain and refill!
>
> My experience with Honda trannies with more than a few miles is that
> once they start acting funny the new fluid helps for only a short
> while, couple of months. I had all dealer service so assume it was
> just drain/refill.


I would tend to agree but...

How many of us truly trust the dealer to drain and fill 3X?

I can only imagine the bean counter at the dealership saying drain/fill
1X = <3X profit since we save 2/3rd of the tranny fluid which we bill
out and 2/3rds of the book time.

Of course, no dealer would do that would they?<g>




Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01 May 2014, 10:50 pm
Al
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: One More Time: A/T Flush vs. Drain/Refill

The Honda dealership that I'm familiar with charges $79.95 for a
transmission service which is one drain and fill.

If you specify three drain and fills I think they will do it but it will
cost more like $240.00.

When you drain most Honda transmissions about 3 quarts of the 6 or 7
that they hold will come out. So a simple drain and fill will get you
about a 50 -50 mix of new and old fluid. That pretty much goes down as
a normal service. I think most customers probably assume they have 100%
new for their 80 bucks, but that's not how it is.

I think the over the counter price of Honda fluid is about $13.00 a
quart. That would make the 'parts' price of a single drain and fill
$39.00.


On 5/1/2014 10:39 PM, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
> On 5/1/2014 12:00 PM, JRStern wrote:
>> On Thu, 01 May 2014 10:18:42 -0400, Travis Bickle <3S96@taxi.net>

>
> [Snip}
>>> Not sure what to do here. Doesn't look all that hard to drain/refill
>>> myself and that's a lot cheaper than what's being quoted for dealer
>>> flush or drain/refill. But if flushing will clean it out better, maybe
>>> do that?

>>
>> I'd say drain and refill more often, rather than flush less often,
>> would be likely to have best results. Especially if Honda recommends
>> drain and refill!
>>
>> My experience with Honda trannies with more than a few miles is that
>> once they start acting funny the new fluid helps for only a short
>> while, couple of months. I had all dealer service so assume it was
>> just drain/refill.

>
> I would tend to agree but...
>
> How many of us truly trust the dealer to drain and fill 3X?
>
> I can only imagine the bean counter at the dealership saying drain/fill
> 1X = <3X profit since we save 2/3rd of the tranny fluid which we bill
> out and 2/3rds of the book time.
>
> Of course, no dealer would do that would they?<g>
>
>
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02 May 2014, 02:18 am
Unquestionably Confused
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: One More Time: A/T Flush vs. Drain/Refill

On 5/1/2014 10:50 PM, Al wrote:
> The Honda dealership that I'm familiar with charges $79.95 for a
> transmission service which is one drain and fill.
>
> If you specify three drain and fills I think they will do it but it will
> cost more like $240.00.
>
> When you drain most Honda transmissions about 3 quarts of the 6 or 7
> that they hold will come out. So a simple drain and fill will get you
> about a 50 -50 mix of new and old fluid. That pretty much goes down as
> a normal service. I think most customers probably assume they have 100%
> new for their 80 bucks, but that's not how it is.
>
> I think the over the counter price of Honda fluid is about $13.00 a
> quart. That would make the 'parts' price of a single drain and fill
> $39.00.


My point, exactly.

When one pays for Honda service at a Honda dealership it is not
unreasonable to expect the dealership to follow Honda's recommended
service procedure - after all, is that not ALL dealerships' claim to
"fame", that they will do it right?

It's just too easy to foist another one off on the consumer without even
having to bother to ask them to bend over and "drop trou"<g>



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02 May 2014, 06:46 am
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: One More Time: A/T Flush vs. Drain/Refill

In article <ljtl43$ha2$1@news.albasani.net>,
Travis Bickle <3S96@taxi.net> wrote:

> Some dealers say flush, some say drain/refill-- but Honda service
> bulletin says drain and refill 3X only which is what owner's manual
> specifies also. Also talked to some transmission repair places too.
>
> Not sure what to do here.


Well, you can rely on Grandpa's wisdom from 1950 based on 1930s
technology, OR--now here's a radical thought--you could follow the
****ING SERVICE MANUAL THAT WAS WRITTEN SPECIFICALLY FOR YOUR CAR.

Jesus Christ. Is this really an issue????
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02 May 2014, 06:47 am
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: One More Time: A/T Flush vs. Drain/Refill

In article <5363054a$0$45045$862e30e2@ngroups.net>,
Unquestionably Confused <puzzled2@ameritech.net> wrote:

> How many of us truly trust the dealer to drain and fill 3X?


Find a dealer you can trust. It's not hard.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02 May 2014, 06:48 am
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: One More Time: A/T Flush vs. Drain/Refill

In article <_BE8v.1178451$ZP3.14317@fx20.iad>, Al <al@spamless.net>
wrote:

> The Honda dealership that I'm familiar with charges $79.95 for a
> transmission service which is one drain and fill.
>
> If you specify three drain and fills I think they will do it but it will
> cost more like $240.00.


You "think"? Have you actually ASKED?

The procedure is simple: drain, fill, drive a mile or two to mix it all
up, drain, fill, drive a mile or two, drain, fill.

I doubt they charge 3X the base charge at all.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I do a drain or flush of transmission fluid on my Honda Accord 2006 4 cylinder Georgio87ss Honda Technical 4 04 Aug 2011 01:16 pm
Is it better to have a transmission flush or a drain & fill on a 2000 Honda Accord V6? drewby1211 Honda Technical 5 11 Apr 2011 11:16 am
2004 Accord Radiator flush drain Plug.? 6 cylinder? abraham Honda Technical 3 22 Dec 2008 02:46 pm
Regarding ATF Drain-n-Refill rking Acura 10 02 Jun 2007 10:19 pm
94 Civic: coolant drain/flush and thermostat Abeness Honda 3 25 25 Jul 2005 10:59 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.