Honda Car Forum

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Mar 2014, 12:52 pm
somick

Default 99 Accord door lock multiplex location?

1999 Accord. 4 cylinder with 134,000 miles.
Sometimes door locks will not lock/unlock when locked/unlocked with the key or with the lock/unlock button.

FSM shows two multiplex control units: behind fuse panels on driver or passenger side. I cannot find which one controls the door locks.
Could somebody tell me this before I start taking my car apart?

Oh yes, I bought the car with the aftermarket alarm that had the same feature: one push on the remote button unlocked all doors and the second push on the same button will lock all all doors. About a year ago I stopped using it.
I appreciate your help.

Regards,
Sam

Old 20 Mar 2014, 10:32 pm
Geoff Welsh

Default Re: 99 Accord door lock multiplex location?

somick wrote:
> 1999 Accord. 4 cylinder with 134,000 miles. Sometimes door locks
> will not lock/unlock when locked/unlocked with the key or with the
> lock/unlock button.
>
> FSM shows two multiplex control units: behind fuse panels on driver
> or passenger side. I cannot find which one controls the door locks.
> Could somebody tell me this before I start taking my car apart?
>
> Oh yes, I bought the car with the aftermarket alarm that had the same
> feature: one push on the remote button unlocked all doors and the
> second push on the same button will lock all all doors. About a year
> ago I stopped using it. I appreciate your help.
>
> Regards, Sam
>
>

they both do.

GW
Old 21 Mar 2014, 11:26 am
somick

On Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:32:27 PM UTC-7, Geoff Welsh wrote:
> somick wrote: > 1999 Accord. 4 cylinder with 134,000 miles. Sometimes door locks > will not lock/unlock when locked/unlocked with the key or with the > lock/unlock button. > > FSM shows two multiplex control units: behind fuse panels on driver > or passenger side. I cannot find which one controls the door locks. > Could somebody tell me this before I start taking my car apart? > > Oh yes, I bought the car with the aftermarket alarm that had thesame > feature: one push on the remote button unlocked all doors and the >second push on the same button will lock all all doors. About a year > agoI stopped using it. I appreciate your help. > > Regards, Sam > > they bothdo. GW

Thanks for reply.
I plan to work on it this weekend. I will report back if I ever find anything.

Sam
Old 21 Mar 2014, 08:35 pm
Geoff Welsh

somick wrote:
> On Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:32:27 PM UTC-7, Geoff Welsh wrote:
>> somick wrote: > 1999 Accord. 4 cylinder with 134,000 miles.
>> Sometimes door locks > will not lock/unlock when locked/unlocked
>> with the key or with the > lock/unlock button. > > FSM shows two
>> multiplex control units: behind fuse panels on driver > or
>> passenger side. I cannot find which one controls the door locks. >
>> Could somebody tell me this before I start taking my car apart? > >
>> Oh yes, I bought the car with the aftermarket alarm that had the
>> same > feature: one push on the remote button unlocked all doors
>> and the > second push on the same button will lock all all doors.
>> About a year > ago I stopped using it. I appreciate your help. > >
>> Regards, Sam > >

they both do. GW
>
> Thanks for reply. I plan to work on it this weekend. I will report
> back if I ever find anything.
>
> Sam
>

Actually there's three.

It'd be far easier to diagnose with a fully capable scan tool. The
drivers switches (key, button, & lever) ALL communicate with the DOOR
MCU, which communicates with the drivers side MCU and it, in turn,
communicates with the passenger MCU, and that one controls all the lock
motors. Most likely problem is always the part that moves the most, and
that'd be the comm wire through the drivers door A-pillar, or the DOOR
MCU (in the door.)

GW
Old 25 Mar 2014, 01:44 pm
somick

On Friday, March 21, 2014 6:35:11 PM UTC-7, Geoff Welsh wrote:
> somick wrote: > On Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:32:27 PM UTC-7, Geoff Welshwrote: >> somick wrote: > 1999 Accord. 4 cylinder with 134,000 miles. >> Sometimes door locks > will not lock/unlock when locked/unlocked >> with thekey or with the > lock/unlock button. > > FSM shows two >> multiplex control units: behind fuse panels on driver > or >> passenger side. I cannot find which one controls the door locks. > >> Could somebody tell me this before I start taking my car apart? > > >> Oh yes, I bought the car with the aftermarket alarm that had the >> same > feature: one push on the remote button unlocked all doors >> and the > second push on the same button will lock all all doors. >> About a year > ago I stopped using it. I appreciate your help. > > >> Regards, Sam > > they both do. GW > > Thanks for reply. I planto work on it this weekend. I will report > back if I ever find anything. > > Sam > Actually there's three. It'd be far easier to diagnose with a fully capable scan tool. The drivers switches (key, button, & lever) ALL communicate with the DOOR MCU, which communicates with the drivers side MCU and it, in turn, communicates with the passenger MCU, and that one controls allthe lock motors. Most likely problem is always the part that moves the most, and that'd be the comm wire through the drivers door A-pillar, or the DOOR MCU (in the door.) GW

Thanks, Geoff!

I figured it out. Before going for MCU, since I do not have a scanner, I decided to check the easy stuff - door lock actuators. As of now I have therear passenger side actuator out of the car. To my surprise it does not work. The motor, when out of the actuator, spins easily in both directions.With the unlock button pressed the actuator makes a buzzing noise but does not move. It does move when I press the "lock" button. So most likely this is my problem.

I am still trying to understand why it moves only in one direction. Mechanically everything looks OK: no warn parts, plenty of lubricant.

Sam
Old 30 May 2014, 11:48 am
somick

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:44:09 AM UTC-8, somick wrote:
> On Friday, March 21, 2014 6:35:11 PM UTC-7, Geoff Welsh wrote:
>
> > somick wrote: > On Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:32:27 PM UTC-7, Geoff Welsh wrote: >> somick wrote: > 1999 Accord. 4 cylinder with 134,000 miles. >>Sometimes door locks > will not lock/unlock when locked/unlocked >> with the key or with the > lock/unlock button. > > FSM shows two >> multiplex control units: behind fuse panels on driver > or >> passenger side. I cannot find which one controls the door locks. > >> Could somebody tell me this before I start taking my car apart? > > >> Oh yes, I bought the car with the aftermarket alarm that had the >> same > feature: one push on the remote button unlocked all doors >> and the > second push on the same button will lock all all doors. >> About a year > ago I stopped using it. I appreciate your help. > > >> Regards, Sam > > they both do. GW > > Thanks for reply. I plan to work on it this weekend. I will report > back if I ever find anything.. > > Sam > Actually there's three. It'd be far easier to diagnose with a fully capable scan tool. The drivers switches (key, button, & lever) ALL communicate with the DOOR MCU, which communicates with the drivers side MCU and it, in turn, communicates with the passenger MCU, and that one controls all the lock motors. Most likely problem is always the part that moves the most, and that'd be the comm wire through the drivers door A-pillar, or the DOOR MCU (in the door.) GW

>
>
>
> Thanks, Geoff!
>
>
>
> I figured it out. Before going for MCU, since I do not have a scanner, Idecided to check the easy stuff - door lock actuators. As of now I have the rear passenger side actuator out of the car. To my surprise it does notwork. The motor, when out of the actuator, spins easily in both directions. With the unlock button pressed the actuator makes a buzzing noise but does not move. It does move when I press the "lock" button. So most likelythis is my problem.
>
>
>
> I am still trying to understand why it moves only in one direction. Mechanically everything looks OK: no warn parts, plenty of lubricant.
>
>
>
> Sam

I decided to take the actuator's electrical motor apart and found out that the brushes were worn down to the brass brush holders. Under load the motor apparently did not get good contact with the commutator and stopped.

There was no sense buying new brushes and trying to fit them when the new actuator on Ebay cost 11 dollars with free shipping.

So the multiplex control unit was not my problem. Door locks work now.

Thanks to everybody who helped me.

Regards,
Sam
Old 01 Jun 2014, 03:45 pm
Geoff Welsh

somick wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:44:09 AM UTC-8, somick wrote:
>> On Friday, March 21, 2014 6:35:11 PM UTC-7, Geoff Welsh wrote:
>>
>>> somick wrote: > On Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:32:27 PM UTC-7, Geoff Welsh wrote: >> somick wrote: > 1999 Accord. 4 cylinder with 134,000 miles. >> Sometimes door locks > will not lock/unlock when locked/unlocked >> with the key or with the > lock/unlock button. > > FSM shows two >> multiplex control units: behind fuse panels on driver > or >> passenger side. I cannot find which one controls the door locks. > >> Could somebody tell me this before I start taking my car apart? > > >> Oh yes, I bought the car with the aftermarket alarm that had the >> same > feature: one push on the remote button unlocked all doors >> and the > second push on the same button will lock all all doors. >> About a year > ago I stopped using it. I appreciate your help. > > >> Regards, Sam > > they both do. GW > > Thanks for reply. I plan to work on it this weekend. I will report > back if I ever find anything. > > Sam > Actually there's three. It'd be far easier to diagnose with a fully capable scan tool.

The drivers switches (key, button, & lever) ALL communicate with the DOOR MCU, which communicates with the drivers side MCU and it, in turn, communicates with the passenger MCU, and that one controls all the lock motors. Most likely problem is always the part that moves the most, and that'd be the comm wire through the drivers door A-pillar, or the DOOR MCU (in the door.) GW
>>
>>
>>
>> Thanks, Geoff!
>>
>>
>>
>> I figured it out. Before going for MCU, since I do not have a scanner, I decided to check the easy stuff - door lock actuators. As of now I have the rear passenger side actuator out of the car. To my surprise it does not work. The motor, when out of the actuator, spins easily in both directions. With the unlock button pressed the actuator makes a buzzing noise but does not move. It does move when I press the "lock" button. So most likely this is my problem.
>>
>>
>>
>> I am still trying to understand why it moves only in one direction. Mechanically everything looks OK: no warn parts, plenty of lubricant.
>>
>>
>>
>> Sam

>
> I decided to take the actuator's electrical motor apart and found out that the brushes were worn down to the brass brush holders. Under load the motor apparently did not get good contact with the commutator and stopped.
>
> There was no sense buying new brushes and trying to fit them when the new actuator on Ebay cost 11 dollars with free shipping.
>
> So the multiplex control unit was not my problem. Door locks work now.
>
> Thanks to everybody who helped me.
>
>
> Regards,
> Sam
>

so ONE malfunctioning actuator caused ALL the doors locks to not work
sometimes.

Great follow-up, thanks.

GW