Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jan 2014, 08:45 am
tb
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Brake Fluid Flushing

I am driving a 2008 Honda Civic sedan.
The dealer says that it is advisable to flush the brake system every
three years...
What do you guys think? Is it really necessary?
--
tb
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jan 2014, 09:58 am
JRStern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Brake Fluid Flushing

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 14:45:11 +0000 (UTC), "tb"
<nospam@example.invalid> wrote:

>I am driving a 2008 Honda Civic sedan.
>The dealer says that it is advisable to flush the brake system every
>three years...
>What do you guys think? Is it really necessary?


Necessary, not so much.

A good idea, I suppose so. Especially every six years!?

Especially if the way you drive your Civic you do a lot of 100-0 stops
that boil the brakes.

J.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jan 2014, 01:13 pm
Howard Lester
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Brake Fluid Flushing

"tb" wrote

> I am driving a 2008 Honda Civic sedan.
> The dealer says that it is advisable to flush the brake system every
> three years...
> What do you guys think? Is it really necessary?


As has been asked many times on this newsgroup: "What does your car's manual
say?" The manual is, in effect, the authority.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jan 2014, 02:21 pm
MLD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Brake Fluid Flushing

Flushing, at times, can cause more of a problem then leaving things alone.
Drain and replace may be be a better path to follow.
MLD

"tb" <nospam@example.invalid> wrote in message
news:xn0ixjnaf26wkd000@reader.albasani.net...
>I am driving a 2008 Honda Civic sedan.
> The dealer says that it is advisable to flush the brake system every
> three years...
> What do you guys think? Is it really necessary?
> --
> tb


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jan 2014, 07:24 pm
G Mulcaster
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Brake Fluid Flushing

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 14:45:11 +0000 (UTC), "tb"
<nospam@example.invalid> wrote:

>I am driving a 2008 Honda Civic sedan.
>The dealer says that it is advisable to flush the brake system every
>three years...
>What do you guys think? Is it really necessary?


Brake fluid is hydroscpoic; that is, it absorbs moisture. Moisture
"may" cause rust in your brake system.

My 2012 Honda Pilot manual specifies 3 year fluid replacements as
well. It's a simple job to do so I will comply. That said, my 2002
Toyota Sienna has never had the fluid changed.

Some folks advise to use a fresh unopened can of fluid when doing the
job. An open can that has been sitting around will have picked up
moisture.

I don't really know what a brake flush is but my manual uses the term
"flush" in a specific instance: Quote "Using any non-Honda brake fluid
can cause corrosion and decrease the life of the system. Have the
brake system flushed and refilled with Honda Heavy Duty Brake Fluid
DOT 3 as soon as possible" end quote. Good luck with that Honda.

Gary
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 28 Jan 2014, 05:33 am
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Brake Fluid Flushing

In article <xn0ixjnaf26wkd000@reader.albasani.net>,
"tb" <nospam@example.invalid> wrote:

> I am driving a 2008 Honda Civic sedan.
> The dealer says that it is advisable to flush the brake system every
> three years...
> What do you guys think? Is it really necessary?


Yes.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 28 Jan 2014, 10:11 am
Flatlander
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Brake Fluid Flushing

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 17:24:36 -0800, G Mulcaster
<mulcasterXXX@XXXshaw.ca> wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 14:45:11 +0000 (UTC), "tb"
><nospam@example.invalid> wrote:
>
>>I am driving a 2008 Honda Civic sedan.
>>The dealer says that it is advisable to flush the brake system every
>>three years...
>>What do you guys think? Is it really necessary?

>
>Brake fluid is hydroscpoic; that is, it absorbs moisture. Moisture
>"may" cause rust in your brake system.


Hygroscopic

>
>My 2012 Honda Pilot manual specifies 3 year fluid replacements as
>well. It's a simple job to do so I will comply. That said, my 2002
>Toyota Sienna has never had the fluid changed.



I know the manual says different, but I've always figured having it
done when it was time for a brake job or other brake service (e.g.
master cylinder replacement) was often enough.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 28 Jan 2014, 08:07 pm
Tegger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Brake Fluid Flushing

"tb" <nospam@example.invalid> wrote in news:xn0ixjnaf26wkd000
@reader.albasani.net:

> I am driving a 2008 Honda Civic sedan.
> The dealer says that it is advisable to flush the brake system every
> three years...
> What do you guys think? Is it really necessary?




Are you asking
1) in order to make sure the dealer isn't taking you for a ride, or
2) because you don't want to spend the money?


--
Tegger
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 28 Jan 2014, 08:13 pm
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Brake Fluid Flushing

In article <XnsA2C3D6D8F22EFtegger@208.90.168.18>,
Tegger <invalid@example.org> wrote:

> "tb" <nospam@example.invalid> wrote in news:xn0ixjnaf26wkd000
> @reader.albasani.net:
>
> > I am driving a 2008 Honda Civic sedan.
> > The dealer says that it is advisable to flush the brake system every
> > three years...
> > What do you guys think? Is it really necessary?

>
>
>
> Are you asking
> 1) in order to make sure the dealer isn't taking you for a ride, or
> 2) because you don't want to spend the money?


3) because he can't read the owner's manual?
4) because he won't read the owner's manual?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 29 Jan 2014, 05:48 pm
tb
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Brake Fluid Flushing

On 1/28/2014 at 8:13:13 PM Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> In article <XnsA2C3D6D8F22EFtegger@208.90.168.18>,
> Tegger <invalid@example.org> wrote:
>
> > "tb" <nospam@example.invalid> wrote in news:xn0ixjnaf26wkd000
> > @reader.albasani.net:
> >
> > > I am driving a 2008 Honda Civic sedan.
> > > The dealer says that it is advisable to flush the brake system
> > > every three years...
> > > What do you guys think? Is it really necessary?

> >
> >
> >
> > Are you asking
> > 1) in order to make sure the dealer isn't taking you for a ride, or
> > 2) because you don't want to spend the money?

>
> 3) because he can't read the owner's manual?
> 4) because he won't read the owner's manual?


Because I wanted to hear somebody else's opinion?

--
tb
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mom put power steering fluid in the brake fluid reservoir? ecwashere Honda Technical 4 21 Nov 2012 08:46 am
frequent loss of fluid in my brake fluid reservoir.( civic 95 lx)? NO FEAR Honda Technical 4 22 Sep 2009 12:01 pm
Accord Brake Fluid & Transmission Fluid Problems ? Robert11 Honda 3 0 11 Feb 2007 02:08 pm
Re: Brake Fluid flushing of the ABS system?? Barry S. Honda 3 0 03 Apr 2004 03:59 pm
Re: Brake Fluid flushing of the ABS system?? John Horner Honda 3 0 03 Apr 2004 01:27 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.