Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 17 Aug 2013, 05:55 pm
cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Heater control problem

I described the precursor to this problem in a July 12 post ("Hot air
from vents shen set cold") but I got no response to that one. The
problem escalated now to the point, that the temp control dial seems to
be rotating freely, and the heater valve cable no longer operates the
valve arm.

As I was browsing the Internet for similar issues, I found the following
link describing my situation exactly as it was *before* yesterday, when
I noticed the unfunctioning valve cable and freely rotating heater
control dial. Note, that my Accord is a '94 LX model.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1430540

What raised my curiosity about the above link is that the poster claimed
to have gain access to the heater control through the removed glove box.
This would be a great news because I don't feel like spending about
$500-600 for removing and reinstalling the whole dash so so after I had
the heater core replaced last year.

This problem seems to be quite common with the '90s vintage accords and
one of the responses in the above link also mentioned some service
bulleting on the heater control cable issue. I wonder if anybody knows
more about that bulletin.

Does any of you have experience with this problem? I hope there will be
some responses this time.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 18 Aug 2013, 12:41 am
JRStern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Heater control problem

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 14:55:49 -0700, cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid>
wrote:

>This problem seems to be quite common with the '90s vintage accords and
>one of the responses in the above link also mentioned some service
>bulleting on the heater control cable issue. I wonder if anybody knows
>more about that bulletin.
>
>Does any of you have experience with this problem? I hope there will be
>some responses this time.


My theory is to trade the car before such things happen.

J.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 18 Aug 2013, 12:49 pm
cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Heater control problem

On 8/17/2013 9:41 PM, JRStern wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 14:55:49 -0700, cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> This problem seems to be quite common with the '90s vintage accords and
>> one of the responses in the above link also mentioned some service
>> bulleting on the heater control cable issue. I wonder if anybody knows
>> more about that bulletin.
>>
>> Does any of you have experience with this problem? I hope there will be
>> some responses this time.

>
> My theory is to trade the car before such things happen.
>
> J.
>

Even if you planned to move overseas in a couple years?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 18 Aug 2013, 06:50 pm
JRStern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Heater control problem

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 09:49:17 -0700, cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid>
wrote:

>On 8/17/2013 9:41 PM, JRStern wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 14:55:49 -0700, cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This problem seems to be quite common with the '90s vintage accords and
>>> one of the responses in the above link also mentioned some service
>>> bulleting on the heater control cable issue. I wonder if anybody knows
>>> more about that bulletin.
>>>
>>> Does any of you have experience with this problem? I hope there will be
>>> some responses this time.

>>
>> My theory is to trade the car before such things happen.
>>
>> J.
>>

>Even if you planned to move overseas in a couple years?


The 90's ended for me some time ago.

J.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 18 Aug 2013, 07:07 pm
Dave Garrett
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Heater control problem

In article <sqj219h9072o4kff9htslkv2jvo4ff8fab@4ax.com>,
JRStern@foobar.invalid says...
>
> On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 09:49:17 -0700, cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >On 8/17/2013 9:41 PM, JRStern wrote:
> >> On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 14:55:49 -0700, cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >>> This problem seems to be quite common with the '90s vintage accords and
> >>> one of the responses in the above link also mentioned some service
> >>> bulleting on the heater control cable issue. I wonder if anybody knows
> >>> more about that bulletin.
> >>>
> >>> Does any of you have experience with this problem? I hope there will be
> >>> some responses this time.
> >>
> >> My theory is to trade the car before such things happen.
> >>
> >> J.
> >>

> >Even if you planned to move overseas in a couple years?

>
> The 90's ended for me some time ago.


Unfortunately, so did Honda's engineering superiority.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 18 Aug 2013, 11:38 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Heater control problem

On 08/17/2013 02:55 PM, cameo wrote:
> I described the precursor to this problem in a July 12 post ("Hot air
> from vents shen set cold") but I got no response to that one. The
> problem escalated now to the point, that the temp control dial seems to
> be rotating freely, and the heater valve cable no longer operates the
> valve arm.
>
> As I was browsing the Internet for similar issues, I found the following
> link describing my situation exactly as it was *before* yesterday, when
> I noticed the unfunctioning valve cable and freely rotating heater
> control dial. Note, that my Accord is a '94 LX model.
>
> http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1430540
>
> What raised my curiosity about the above link is that the poster claimed
> to have gain access to the heater control through the removed glove box.
> This would be a great news because I don't feel like spending about
> $500-600 for removing and reinstalling the whole dash so so after I had
> the heater core replaced last year.
>
> This problem seems to be quite common with the '90s vintage accords and
> one of the responses in the above link also mentioned some service
> bulleting on the heater control cable issue. I wonder if anybody knows
> more about that bulletin.
>
> Does any of you have experience with this problem? I hope there will be
> some responses this time.


i can't recall if i had to take the whole dash out just to fix this or
the instrument cluster as well, but with my 96 accord, i replaced the
cable, reattached the controls, and it worked again. yes, it's a pita
and apparently a common problem - i suspect the cable housing is some
below-spec material that gets sticky when hot and starts to seize the
cable inner.


--
fact check required
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 19 Aug 2013, 01:10 pm
cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Heater control problem

On 8/18/2013 8:38 PM, jim beam wrote:

> i can't recall if i had to take the whole dash out just to fix this or
> the instrument cluster as well, but with my 96 accord, i replaced the
> cable, reattached the controls, and it worked again. yes, it's a pita
> and apparently a common problem - i suspect the cable housing is some
> below-spec material that gets sticky when hot and starts to seize the
> cable inner.
>

From some of the Internet posts that I saw it appeared that only the
instrument panel had to be removed, but it wasn't quite clear. I agree
that the sticky cable must be at fault, though there are really two
separate cables there: the shorter air mix cable that is operated by the
temp control dial, and the longer heater valve cable that goes through
the fire wall and activates the coolant valve. This latter valve seems
to be attached fine to the valve arm, so I'm not sure which cable is
damaged, and what worries me even more is whether anything else is
damaged or broken by the forced turning of the temp control dial before
that dial went totally free-turning.

I don't want to take that instrument panel out and then only to find out
that something else is broken beside a cable and having no quick way to
get hold of a new part to replace the broken part. There are some
plastic parts there that could be broken, I think.

Right now I just manually turned the heater valve to close position till
the colder weather comes in. Then I'll just open that valve to let hot
coolant flow in the heater core. Maybe the redirection of air flow into
the air vents is still working by activating the various buttons on the
heater control, though I'm not sure the heater door can still be
operated. If not, I just hope it is open, so the blower can direct the
air through the core.





Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 19 Aug 2013, 01:40 pm
jim beam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Heater control problem

On 08/19/2013 10:10 AM, cameo wrote:
> On 8/18/2013 8:38 PM, jim beam wrote:
>
>> i can't recall if i had to take the whole dash out just to fix this or
>> the instrument cluster as well, but with my 96 accord, i replaced the
>> cable, reattached the controls, and it worked again. yes, it's a pita
>> and apparently a common problem - i suspect the cable housing is some
>> below-spec material that gets sticky when hot and starts to seize the
>> cable inner.
>>

> From some of the Internet posts that I saw it appeared that only the
> instrument panel had to be removed, but it wasn't quite clear. I agree
> that the sticky cable must be at fault, though there are really two
> separate cables there: the shorter air mix cable that is operated by the
> temp control dial, and the longer heater valve cable that goes through
> the fire wall and activates the coolant valve. This latter valve seems
> to be attached fine to the valve arm, so I'm not sure which cable is
> damaged, and what worries me even more is whether anything else is
> damaged or broken by the forced turning of the temp control dial before
> that dial went totally free-turning.
>
> I don't want to take that instrument panel out and then only to find out
> that something else is broken beside a cable and having no quick way to
> get hold of a new part to replace the broken part. There are some
> plastic parts there that could be broken, I think.


it might be disconnected rather than broken. iirc, mine had done that
when the cable stuck and the previous owner had tried to crank it
anyway, but the mechanism, while plastic, was still quite strong.


>
> Right now I just manually turned the heater valve to close position till
> the colder weather comes in. Then I'll just open that valve to let hot
> coolant flow in the heater core. Maybe the redirection of air flow into
> the air vents is still working by activating the various buttons on the
> heater control, though I'm not sure the heater door can still be
> operated. If not, I just hope it is open, so the blower can direct the
> air through the core.


classic work-around.

don't know if there's another way to access, but if there is, i bet it
involves painful contortions. i just removed the panel to access the
control cables. it's not too complicated.

for diagnosis, i disconnected the cable at the heater valve end and
discovered the cable was not movable. suggest you check that out before
ordering any parts, just to be sure. the airflow cable can be observed
moving under the dash, so you can see if that's a problem, no
disassembly required.

if you remove the panel, and your vehicle is the automatic, consider
progressing to and removing the speedo cluster. the "drive" indicator
bulb on the selector panel goes round about now and you can replace it
while you've got everything apart. better yet, replace it with an led -
utterly retarded to have a 1000 hour bulb in a 3000+ hour location.


--
fact check required
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 19 Aug 2013, 07:09 pm
cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Heater control problem

On 8/19/2013 10:40 AM, jim beam wrote:

> classic work-around.
>
> don't know if there's another way to access, but if there is, i bet it
> involves painful contortions. i just removed the panel to access the
> control cables. it's not too complicated.


Painful contortions are out of question for my bad back.
Replacing the main realy under the dash was bad enough. :-(

> for diagnosis, i disconnected the cable at the heater valve end and
> discovered the cable was not movable. suggest you check that out before
> ordering any parts, just to be sure.


I disconnected it once and it seemed to be also unmovable with the
moderate amount of force I could apply there at that tight space.
But I don't understand how that could tell me anything about needing to
buy a new part or not. Could you elaborate?

> the airflow cable can be observed
> moving under the dash, so you can see if that's a problem, no
> disassembly required.


I might first get one of those fiberoptic scopes to make checking that
out easier. I've seen some fairly inexpensive models out there by
Googling around. Such a flex scope can be useful for many tight space
applications.

> if you remove the panel, and your vehicle is the automatic, consider
> progressing to and removing the speedo cluster. the "drive" indicator
> bulb on the selector panel goes round about now and you can replace it
> while you've got everything apart. better yet, replace it with an led -
> utterly retarded to have a 1000 hour bulb in a 3000+ hour location.


Thanks. The logic sounds the same as replacing the water pump with the
timing belt.
Are LED replacement bulbs readily available with the same specs?

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 20 Aug 2013, 08:46 am
Al Moodie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Heater control problem

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 10:40:13 -0700, jim beam <me@privacy.net> wrote:


>
>for diagnosis, i disconnected the cable at the heater valve end and
>discovered the cable was not movable. suggest you check that out before
>ordering any parts, just to be sure. the airflow cable can be observed
>moving under the dash, so you can see if that's a problem, no
>disassembly required.
>
>if you remove the panel, and your vehicle is the automatic, consider
>progressing to and removing the speedo cluster. the "drive" indicator
>bulb on the selector panel goes round about now and you can replace it
>while you've got everything apart. better yet, replace it with an led -
>utterly retarded to have a 1000 hour bulb in a 3000+ hour location.


How about disconnecting the two cables and blasting release oil up
inside the cable cores. You might be lucky.

Al Moodie.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
heater control unit airon235 Acura Technical 0 08 Feb 2009 01:31 pm
Bulb for Heater Control PaulT Honda 3 1 13 Jan 2007 11:34 am
99 Accord heater / A/C control? Elbert Honda 2 4 27 Dec 2006 10:29 am
1990 Honda Civic SI heater control problem Dod Honda 2 3 06 Jan 2006 08:25 pm
Heater Control Light Rich Honda 2 3 05 Mar 2004 09:06 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 pm.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.