Honda Car Forum


 

Go Back   Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing > Honda Acura > Honda 2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 18 Jan 2013, 10:20 pm
cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Aftermarket receivers

A female neighbor of mine wants me to install an after-market receiver
in her '94 Accord EX, mainly because she wants one that can play CDs,
instead of casette tapes. Crutchfield's carries a bunch of models that
would satisfy that spec but I would like to get her one that has a few
other features as well that the old factory model lacks. Such as HD
AM/FM radio, USB and aux inputs, as long as the cost is under $150.

I found 3 models on the Crutchfield site that fit the bill and I wonder
if any of you happen to use one of them and could give me a feedback.
I'm kinda' undecided on which one I should get. One thing the reviews
don't talk much about is the simplicity of handling the controls. I
found from my own experience that they can be pretty complex and hard to
remember.

Here are the 3 models I am looking at right now:

Kenwood KDC-HD552U,
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X596,
and Pioneer DEH-X5500HD.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 19 Jan 2013, 01:30 am
Patty Winter
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Aftermarket receivers


I've been browsing the Crutchfield site myself recently, in
preparation for buying a navigation receiver for my upcoming
Outback. So 'fraid I can't help you with those specific models,
but I am curious what HD channels your friend wants to receive.
Are there some good ones in your area?


Patty

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 19 Jan 2013, 10:46 am
JRStern
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Aftermarket receivers

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 20:20:53 -0800, cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid>
wrote:

>A female neighbor of mine wants me to install an after-market receiver
>in her '94 Accord EX, mainly because she wants one that can play CDs,
>instead of casette tapes. Crutchfield's carries a bunch of models that
>would satisfy that spec but I would like to get her one that has a few
>other features as well that the old factory model lacks. Such as HD
>AM/FM radio, USB and aux inputs, as long as the cost is under $150.
>
>I found 3 models on the Crutchfield site that fit the bill and I wonder
>if any of you happen to use one of them and could give me a feedback.
>I'm kinda' undecided on which one I should get. One thing the reviews
>don't talk much about is the simplicity of handling the controls. I
>found from my own experience that they can be pretty complex and hard to
>remember.
>
>Here are the 3 models I am looking at right now:
>
>Kenwood KDC-HD552U,
>Kenwood Excelon KDC-X596,
>and Pioneer DEH-X5500HD.


I remember CDs, they were kind of like floppy disks, right?

J.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 19 Jan 2013, 02:00 pm
cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Aftermarket receivers

On 1/19/2013 8:46 AM, JRStern wrote:
> I remember CDs, they were kind of like floppy disks, right?
>

I know, and I even mentioned that CDs are almost gone to the same grave
yard as the tape casettes, but she insisted on it. She is retired and
probably has some devotional stuff on those CDs, because she is very
religious. But, just in case she finds out about USB thumb drives, I
figured I might as well future-proof her so she won't bug me with an
upgrade again.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 22 Jan 2013, 06:35 pm
cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Aftermarket receivers

On 1/18/2013 11:30 PM, Patty Winter wrote:
> I've been browsing the Crutchfield site myself recently, in
> preparation for buying a navigation receiver for my upcoming
> Outback. So 'fraid I can't help you with those specific models,
> but I am curious what HD channels your friend wants to receive.
> Are there some good ones in your area?


There are several FM HD stations in the Seattle metro area which I can
receive well. I think there also are some AM HD broadcasts, but I don't
remember receiving one yet. One must be pretty close to the broadcast
tower for that, I guess.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 22 Jan 2013, 07:06 pm
Patty Winter
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Aftermarket receivers


In article <kdnb91$t1s$1@dont-email.me>, cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote:
>On 1/18/2013 11:30 PM, Patty Winter wrote:
>> I am curious what HD channels your friend wants to receive.
>> Are there some good ones in your area?

>
>There are several FM HD stations in the Seattle metro area which I can
>receive well. I think there also are some AM HD broadcasts, but I don't
>remember receiving one yet. One must be pretty close to the broadcast
>tower for that, I guess.


Okay, I was just wondering why your friend was so concerned about
getting an HD-capable receiver. She didn't say?


Patty

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 22 Jan 2013, 10:46 pm
cameo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Aftermarket receivers

On 1/22/2013 5:06 PM, Patty Winter wrote:
> Okay, I was just wondering why your friend was so concerned about
> getting an HD-capable receiver. She didn't say?


You did not read well my original post about that. I was the one to
suggest HD radio as a way to future-proof her.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jan 2013, 10:25 am
SMS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Aftermarket receivers

On 1/18/2013 8:20 PM, cameo wrote:
> A female neighbor of mine wants me to install an after-market receiver
> in her '94 Accord EX, mainly because she wants one that can play CDs,
> instead of casette tapes. Crutchfield's carries a bunch of models that
> would satisfy that spec but I would like to get her one that has a few
> other features as well that the old factory model lacks. Such as HD
> AM/FM radio, USB and aux inputs, as long as the cost is under $150.
>
> I found 3 models on the Crutchfield site that fit the bill and I wonder
> if any of you happen to use one of them and could give me a feedback.
> I'm kinda' undecided on which one I should get. One thing the reviews
> don't talk much about is the simplicity of handling the controls. I
> found from my own experience that they can be pretty complex and hard to
> remember.
>
> Here are the 3 models I am looking at right now:
>
> Kenwood KDC-HD552U,
> Kenwood Excelon KDC-X596,
> and Pioneer DEH-X5500HD.


I would look for one that also has Bluetooth. Something like the JVC
KD-HDR71BT (not at Crutchfield (out of stock) but it got good reviews
when Crutchfield had it and it is still available elsewhere for $155
<www.amazon.com/dp/B0079LGMJQ>). I think the JVC unit is last year's model.

The least expensive full-featured unit at Crutchfield is the Alpine
CDE-HD137BT for $180, so with the Crutchfield coupon code of 3A745 it
would be $170.

You definitely don't want to buy anything that lacks HD Radio, it's the
future of radio and the extra content is terrific if you like genres
that the main analog stations deem to be not as profitable as top 40. In
my area (the San Francisco Bay Area) the extra content on HD Radio
almost makes it a requirement if you want to listen to jazz, classical,
or oldies. Almost no one would buy a new car without HD Radio these
days, and for a 1994 Accord, having HD Radio would probably double the
resale value!

The built in Bluetooth is very nice to have especially in states that
require hands free for cell phones. But it's also really nice for
streaming music from a phone or iPod touch. Worth going $5 to $20 over
the $150 limit, IMVAIO.

The USB input is great as well, you don't have to carry all those CDs
around, just rip them to MP3 files and put them on a USB stick.

One thing I've noticed in some after-market receivers is that when you
use the AUX input with a cell phone that is charging from the car's
electrical system you get an induced hum that you don't get when you're
streaming over Bluetooth.

There is definitely a learning curve to these fully featured models with
so many functions.



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jan 2013, 10:26 am
SMS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Aftermarket receivers

On 1/19/2013 8:46 AM, JRStern wrote:

> I remember CDs, they were kind of like floppy disks, right?


I read about them in a history book, but they're hard for me to picture.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jan 2013, 10:29 am
SMS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Aftermarket receivers

On 1/22/2013 4:35 PM, cameo wrote:
> On 1/18/2013 11:30 PM, Patty Winter wrote:
>> I've been browsing the Crutchfield site myself recently, in
>> preparation for buying a navigation receiver for my upcoming
>> Outback. So 'fraid I can't help you with those specific models,
>> but I am curious what HD channels your friend wants to receive.
>> Are there some good ones in your area?

>
> There are several FM HD stations in the Seattle metro area which I can
> receive well. I think there also are some AM HD broadcasts, but I don't
> remember receiving one yet. One must be pretty close to the broadcast
> tower for that, I guess.


AM HD doesn't have additional sub-channels, the main channel just sounds
better (or at least different, I love FM HD but don't care for AM HD).
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
kenwood receivers 1990/2005? robert Acura Technical 1 07 Apr 2011 01:16 am
Aftermarket radios? 09876 General Chat 0 09 Oct 2010 05:11 pm
Aftermarket flywheel Crazy_K Honda Technical 0 04 Sep 2009 10:36 am
aftermarket distributors jim beam Honda 3 7 04 Apr 2005 09:44 pm
Aftermarket Audio in '88 CRX? Dave Skipper Honda 2 3 09 Oct 2004 04:54 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 am.


Attribution:
Honda News | Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
HondaCarForum.com is not affiliated with Honda Motor Company in any way. Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse HondaCarForum.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.